PDA

View Full Version : Rudder Upgrade for 05 197

erervin
03-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Been looking to upgrade my rudder on my 2005 197 TT to the new style but have a question. I understand that there is a regular 197 rudder (MC Part # 200163) and a Tournament Team version (MC Part # 200164). From my understanding the TT version has one side shaved so to pull to the right at slalom speed.

Reading through several past posts on this forum I thought I recall that a 2005 had the upgraded port that this new rudder requires, thus not having to spend the additional money to replace it as well. However, after talking to Waterskis.com parts department, they show the port was only good from 2006-current. Maybe the TT port was upgraded in 2005 and the regular 197 in 2006. Anyone know for sure?

nscone, made the comment in an older post that read " did the same upgrade on my '05 and it was a drop-in scenario." Maybe he can shed some light. Thanks!

TxsRiverRat
03-11-2013, 01:55 PM
I understand that there is a regular 197 rudder (MC Part # 200163) and a Tournament Team version (MC Part # 200164). From my understanding the TT version has one side shaved so to pull to the right at slalom speed.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

ncsone
03-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Yeah, my '05 197 TT came with the old style 'squared corner' rudder - the blocky looking one. I wanted to replace it with the newer style 'rounded' lower rudder. When I went to order it, they asked me if I wanted the TT version (with right hand pull built in) or the regular rudder (neutral pull standard). I went with the TT version and it ended up have a LOT of pull to it. So, I filed the opposite side very slightly and it is now perfect for me.

As far as the rudder port is concerned, I never had an issue with it at all. FWIW, my rudder port is the kind w/o the grease zerk that has to be greased manually.

Pictures of old and new rudder attached.

erervin
03-11-2013, 03:02 PM
Thanks nscone! That's exactly what I needed. This will give me a good opportunity to go ahead and grease the steering.

erervin
03-24-2013, 04:06 PM
Received the 06 rudder earlier this week from waterskis.com and got it installed with the help from my son. Far easier than I anticipated. Here are a few pictures during the install. Didn't take but 15 minutes.

Anyone out there interested in the other rudder? What's something like this even worth?