PDA

View Full Version : Prop Strut Alignment

skongolf
03-11-2013, 01:56 AM
Today I was putting in a new steering cable in my 01 X30 and when aligning the steering wheel I noticed the rudder was about 1" to the left of the center of the prop shaft when looking from the rear. I had my buddy who is a long time Malibu mechanic look at it and said that usually means a bent prop strut. After doing some research on here I came accross a thread that said that the rudders are usually offset about 3/4 to 1" to the port side. Is this true?
The prop strut doesnt look bent, there are no vibrations to speak of while driving and there is no damage to the prop strut. I bought the boat used and have never hit anything with it. Would just like to get some input on the rudder alignment before I go looking for a new prop strut.

Aric'sX15
03-11-2013, 02:01 AM
The rudder is offset to the left to be able to change the props easier if im remembering correctly.

FrankSchwab
03-11-2013, 02:10 AM
The rudder is offset to the left to be able to change the props easier if im remembering correctly.

change the propSHAFT easier. If the rudder was right behind the center of the prop, you'd have to pull the rudder to pull the shaft. As it's built, it'll barely slide past the rudder.

But what you've noticed is perfectly normal for a Mastercraft.

Aric'sX15
03-11-2013, 02:34 AM
I was close! haha

ski/hunt
03-11-2013, 08:46 AM
KEEP reading----your both wrong!!

mikeg205
03-11-2013, 01:35 PM
It's offset to counter act the torque of the prop to the port side and as a result you get to change the prop easier... :)

FrankSchwab
03-11-2013, 01:42 PM
It's offset to counter act the torque of the prop to the port side and as a result you get to change the prop easier... :)

Hey, my random statement of fact on the Internet is just as factual and authoritative as your random statement of fact on the Internet. Prove yours is right!

/frank

ski/hunt
03-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Look up "p-factor" in single engine aircraft---Same principal applies to fixed shaft and rudder on a boat----
And that info is in books----not just the "Internet"!!

byronic
03-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Look up "p-factor" in single engine aircraft---Same principal applies to fixed shaft and rudder on a boat----

Wow,"P-factor", "step on the ball! , step on the ball!" it's all comming back now.

mikeg205
03-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Hey, my random statement of fact on the Internet is just as factual and authoritative as your random statement of fact on the Internet. Prove yours is right!

/frank

ding...ding..dind... I knew cuz... I am asymmetrical too ... ;)

FrankSchwab
03-12-2013, 12:48 AM

OK, after spending 10 minutes searching to prove you wrong, I'll have to admit defeat. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propeller_walk) has an excellent article on "Propeller Walk".

thatsmrmastercraft
03-12-2013, 01:55 AM
OK, after spending 10 minutes searching to prove you wrong, I'll have to admit defeat. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propeller_walk) has an excellent article on "Propeller Walk".

That is a very interesting article. I can't wait to get back on the water and do some playing around regarding what is said about going into reverse.

Finally, when moving ahead with the propeller moving astern, flow into and around the propeller is very confused. Generally the overall result for a single screw ship when stopping is a shear to starboard, but this is not always guaranteed; sometimes it may go the other way, depending often on any yaw rate on the vessel when the propeller starts to turn astern.

bluebicycle100
07-04-2013, 12:54 PM
I have a 98 Maristar 200 VRS that I just bought used. I thought the same thing is it suppose to be offset.. But I do have a problem wondering if anyone may have a suggestion. When you turn to the left at skiing speed it is hard to turn the wheel back to neutral. What could be the problem?

GoneBoatN
07-04-2013, 01:30 PM
I have a 98 Maristar 200 VRS that I just bought used. I thought the same thing is it suppose to be offset.. But I do have a problem wondering if anyone may have a suggestion. When you turn to the left at skiing speed it is hard to turn the wheel back to neutral. What could be the problem?

Most likely not an issue. Does it move freely, left and right while not underway? You would have to define "hard". For me it does take some effort (I'm not saying struggling but definately more effort than at zero speed) to right the boat back to straight.

GoneBoatN
07-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Also try Google search using
steering stiff site:mastercraft.com/teamtalk

and you will find lots of information on this. Has the boat been maintained somewhere that you can confirm that the rudder box and steering cable have been maintained (greased)? Otherwise might be a good idea to do these things anyways.

GoneBoatN
07-04-2013, 01:36 PM
Also best to open a new thread with a title that is related to your topic. You will have better success with responses. That being said I think you will find the information needed using the google search I recommended earlier.

bluebicycle100
07-04-2013, 09:03 PM
It does work easy while at rest and at low speed. This is a 4 blade prop and maybe prop torque have something to do with it? Turning right at speed and straight inv it out is much easier...

bluebicycle100
07-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the advise of starting a new thread..

mikeg205
07-04-2013, 09:46 PM
check the cable connection in the stern... make sure everything grease.