PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade or not

dgaugler
03-10-2013, 01:41 AM
I can't decide if i should go for an upgrade or not. I currently have a 1996 Maristar 200 VRS. Which has been a great boat for us. We mostly surf and I haven't seen many boats produce a better wave but I haven't been behind a lot of new boats. Anyways a friend has his 2003 X10 for sale, at first I was ready to jump on it but when I started to think about it, it seemed like I was really just upgrading for the look and a few creature comforts. Big differences would be: Builtin ballasts no more sacks, looks, little bump on the horse power although we seem to fine with what we have, better fuel injection system, looks. Both boats have very low hours, and I have no concerns about the soundness of my current boat, and only a few concerns on the 03 but they are pretty minor. Basically I'm looking at a $15k difference. What do you think it is worth it?

jafo9
03-10-2013, 04:44 AM
iirc, wasn't the 96 the old hull with the built in swim platform? the 03 should get you the mcx, removable and much bigger swim platform, tower, PP and split sun deck with the "newer" interior.

i can't speak to if its worth 15K difference, but it is a more modern boat/hull. the biggest down side for 03 were the board racks. if you are into surfing, you'll want to rip out the hard tanks and plumb in 750's minimum so i wouldn't use that as a big selling point.

Jerseydave
03-10-2013, 08:33 AM
I agree with jafo9, plus the X10 will have a better wakeboard wake as well. I assume it has perfectpass, so again that's a big plus. Make sure you look at the vinyl carefully, '03 is one of those potential problem years. Also if it's on a MC trailer, check the calipers for dragging.

CantRepeat
03-10-2013, 08:35 AM
If it were me, I would not "upgrade" to anything older then 06.

JohnE
03-10-2013, 08:44 AM
If it were me, I would not "upgrade" to anything older then 06.

Why 06? I still wish I never sold my 05 197.

CantRepeat
03-10-2013, 08:57 AM
Why 06? I still wish I never sold my 05 197.

Well, in the x30 department there was that big change in hulls, not so with the X10. Isn't 06 the first year of throttle by wire? Or was it 05? I really like the advantage of the electronic PP.

Jerseydave
03-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Well, in the x30 department there was that big change in hulls, not so with the X10. Isn't 06 the first year of throttle by wire? Or was it 05? I really like the advantage of the electronic PP.

TBW....'05 and newer

Thrall
03-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Don't forget the vinyl issues of the early 2000s boats when comparing cost to upgrade.

dgaugler
03-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys. It doesn't have pp so thats a bummer. The 96 does have the integrated swim platform so that would be a nice upgrade. I keep hearing the wake will be better, curious to what that would really look like. I'm kind of leaning towards passing and keep riding behind the 96.

JohnE
03-10-2013, 10:20 PM

As Dave said i5 was 05. And vinyl was not an issue in 05 either

02ProstarSammyD
03-11-2013, 08:55 AM
Thanks guys. It doesn't have pp so thats a bummer. The 96 does have the integrated swim platform so that would be a nice upgrade. I keep hearing the wake will be better, curious to what that would really look like. I'm kind of leaning towards passing and keep riding behind the 96.

I was and kind of still am in the same boat as you. I keep getting boat fever for an upgrade but just do what makes sense to you. I always get boat fever in the off season and then when summer hits I remember how much I really love my boat. Not very familiar with the vrs wake but ballast can be added for fractions of what you are talking about in an upgrade.

I do agree that if you are going to dive in avoid the early 00 year vinyls unless it has been replaced. I just redid mine and you are looking at min 3g . Throw that on top of the 15k diff and the butt will start to hurt.