PDA

View Full Version : Hit it or quit it?

milkmania
03-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Found a suburban I need

Notice I said need, rather than want....
I can actually use it for airport transfers when people fly in for golf tournaments, corporate transfers and such....
Leather, sunroof, DVD, 4 captains chairs and ABSOLUTELY NOT ONE SINGLE WALMART PARKING LOT DOOR DING!!!!

Color I've wanted and options I've been looking for! 908319083290833908349083590836

2005, 143,000 miles 5.3 ltr. and everything looks proper and well maintained.

Only glaring defects are driver's seat wear, driving light lenses broken out, and stereo preset button silk screen worn off #1 button.
Tires will need to be replaced within 20,000 miles, which is fine because I'll go to Michelin anyway.

Got him down to $8500.00....
Hit it or quit it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnE
03-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Hit it. I'm thinking of selling my 05 avalanche with 100K and I'd want at least $12K for it. Driver seat wear is normal.

clrussell
03-09-2013, 10:13 AM
I'd go for it and I don't even need one!

Tapatalk

milkmania
03-09-2013, 10:25 AM
It just amazes me how one person's 140,000 miles of use can be so different than another person's 140,000 miles :(

Man, this had to have been Grandma's garage kept truck!

Affirmative on the driver's seat wear.... Have had Suburbans the last 17years, but skipped the last 2 when I went to Lincoln town car sedan (airport transfers) "the ultimate granny car"

But recently, I had to rent a suburban because I had 4 clients fly in with 5 sets of golf clubs and day luggage...
Would not have fit it all in trunk of limo or sedan.

milkmania
03-09-2013, 10:49 AM
I wasn't thinking... But, is there anyone that can run a carfax for me?

Tristarboarder
03-09-2013, 11:01 AM
You need it, and it is even the color and the interior color that you have been looking for. 143k may seem like a lot, but those things will run well past 200k+ if properly maintained. Plus, if you are using it for business use, I am sure you can get creative and write it off some how with the IRS. I'd say, GET IT.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
03-09-2013, 11:15 AM
Hit it. I'm thinking of selling my 05 avalanche with 100K and I'd want at least $12K for it. Driver seat wear is normal.

Agree around here they are at least 12k for this truck,

It just amazes me how one person's 140,000 miles of use can be so different than another person's 140,000 miles :(

Man, this had to have been Grandma's garage kept truck!

Affirmative on the driver's seat wear.... Have had Suburbans the last 17years, but skipped the last 2 when I went to Lincoln town car sedan (airport transfers) "the ultimate granny car"

But recently, I had to rent a suburban because I had 4 clients fly in with 5 sets of golf clubs and day luggage...
Would not have fit it all in trunk of limo or sedan.

Ask if fuel pump has been changed, much like Mastercraft junk pump these will also go out and will need a new connector.

TN X-45
03-09-2013, 11:20 AM
You can actually get the panel on the seat replaced for a fairly nominal fee at the dealership.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
03-09-2013, 11:26 AM
You can actually get the panel on the seat replaced for a fairly nominal fee at the dealership.

a new seat cover from gm is over $300 plus labor...

Hecker
03-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Any decent upholestry shop should recover it for under $200. I had one done a few years back.

skps190
03-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I can get you a carfax, PM me the VIN

JohnnyB
03-09-2013, 04:28 PM
I had an 03 just like it. Ran 230k miles. Tranny died and I got 4k for it. At 230 still didn't leak fluids or use oil....was very solid.

Ditto on fuel pump....if it didn't get replaced already you are on borrowed time.

Hit it....

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Double D
03-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Hit it!

milkmania
03-09-2013, 04:55 PM
Fuel pump replacement is repair I can make.... I substitute teach for a tech center with a new 1.5 - 2 million dollar shop... Full access to everything I need, just can't work on limousine in there.

Pretty neat toys to play with on there.!
They had a rep come down one time to show how to setup & run the dynamometer... We had a pretty good time with students all wanting to test their trucks

CantRepeat
03-09-2013, 06:08 PM
I'd hit it. Love me some white subs.

But, the ****ty *** crown vic in the background has me worried man.

TN Barefooter
03-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Hit it but definitely have the fuel pump replaced. We bought a 2000 Escalade in 2009 with 40,000 original miles and after 20,000 additional miles the file pump went out 3 hours from home. Other than that it's been a great vehicle. They're basically the same vehicle, roomy and very functional for what you're looking for.

KahunaCraft
03-09-2013, 06:29 PM
Good price, the 5.3 is a great engine. You won't lose any money on that. Hit it.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-09-2013, 06:43 PM
I'd hit it!

Then PM me for some class rolling stock.:rolleyes:

02ProstarSammyD
03-11-2013, 10:37 AM
I'd say hit it but I'm partial to the 6.0. NOM

The seat wear is standard equipment. My 05 driver seat looks like crap and the back seats are starting to look this way too

stuartmcnair
03-11-2013, 11:26 AM
really thought this would be about something else when I clicked it...

GoneBoatN
03-11-2013, 12:09 PM
Any update, have you decided?

I've been trying to find a used vehicle for my son. I've been looking for cheap, smaller car that would get decent (notice I did not say great or good) gas mileage. People seem to want too much or they are too beat up. What I have notice is that there is a good supply of SUVs like this. My guess is everyone is worried about the price of fuel. So I think that is working to your advantage.

milkmania
03-11-2013, 05:18 PM
Any update, have you decided?

I've been trying to find a used vehicle for my son. I've been looking for cheap, smaller car that would get decent (notice I did not say great or good) gas mileage. People seem to want too much or they are too beat up. What I have notice is that there is a good supply of SUVs like this. My guess is everyone is worried about the price of fuel. So I think that is working to your advantage.

I hit it....

at one time while still married, we had 3 suburbans sitting in driveway.... we looked like Reps for OPEC :rolleyes:
when actually, they were all paid for and had little to zero maintenance issues.... so, we had
1) no car payment
2) very little maintenance/repairs (pretty solid vehicles)
3) liability insurance (because no note payment to lender)

so, we may have been paying more for fuel, but we were saving money in the other areas:twocents:

now, put together
1) car payment
2) repairs (if it's beyond warranty)
3) full coverage
4) fuel

and see who comes out ahead:confused:

02ProstarSammyD
03-11-2013, 05:29 PM
The gas on these suck. My 6.0 drinks it. The repairs have been zilch over the last 60k outside of pads every year and oil changes (knock on wood). Good purchase. And hear you on the marriage. I had a motorcycle, wrangler, and grand paid for just for me and another grand for her paid for. After the fact I have no bike, a 05 nali payment, and a boat payment. When riding back from the lake with my new girl I just can't help but think I must have screwed up somewhere hahaha

thatsmrmastercraft
03-11-2013, 06:16 PM
The gas on these suck. My 6.0 drinks it. The repairs have been zilch over the last 60k outside of pads every year and oil changes (knock on wood). Good purchase. And hear you on the marriage. I had a motorcycle, wrangler, and grand paid for just for me and another grand for her paid for. After the fact I have no bike, a 05 nali payment, and a boat payment. When riding back from the lake with my new girl I just can't help but think I must have screwed up somewhere hahaha

Pads every year...........how many miles do you put on in a year?

MikeyOrange88
03-11-2013, 06:42 PM
I hit it....

at one time while still married, we had 3 suburbans sitting in driveway.... we looked like Reps for OPEC :rolleyes:
when actually, they were all paid for and had little to zero maintenance issues.... so, we had
1) no car payment
2) very little maintenance/repairs (pretty solid vehicles)
3) liability insurance (because no note payment to lender)

so, we may have been paying more for fuel, but we were saving money in the other areas:twocents:

now, put together
1) car payment
2) repairs (if it's beyond warranty)
3) full coverage
4) fuel

and see who comes out ahead:confused:

I'm up to 265k miles on my 2001 Tahoe with a 5.3. I've gotten as high as 21 mpg, but usually 18.5 these days. Fuel pump went at 225k.
The rear main seal always dripped a bit, but recently the oil pan and another gasket starting leaking badly so I bit the bullet and had a repair shop replace the rear main seal and the oil pan gasket, not a drop since. Other than that, everything else is original (except tires, brakes). It has been a great vehicle.

Barefooter92
03-11-2013, 10:33 PM
For what it is worth...I have a '99 5.3L and it is currently running on 223K mi. My fuel pump went out at 140K and the trany was rebuilt at 160K other than that it has been a perfect truck. The seat is a quick fix at the upolstrey shop if it bothers you. Mine can be fixed for less than $200 bucks. They are solid trucks. That model has heavier sheetmetal which the body shops like for welding on when the body rusts out. Your in FL and may not have the rust issues.

Keep the tires rotated and properly inflated, cant go wrong with a set of michilens!

02ProstarSammyD
03-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Pads every year...........how many miles do you put on in a year?
about 30 with a ton of that being with the boat/heavy equipment in tow. I don't reallly understand it either but it happens.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-13-2013, 12:10 PM
about 30 with a ton of that being with the boat/heavy equipment in tow. I don't reallly understand it either but it happens.

Do you use the same brand of pads all the time? You should be getting at least twice that with the proper pads. How long are your rear brakes lasting?

GoneBoatN
03-13-2013, 12:25 PM

Just a thought: perhaps the breaks on one of your trailers are not engaging correctly causing the excessive wear.

02ProstarSammyD
03-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Just a thought: perhaps the breaks on one of your trailers are not engaging correctly causing the excessive wear.

on my list to check when it comes out of the garage. I haul a lot of machinery/etc so could be an issue too. I changed them maybe a year after I got the truck and then a year later they were crap. I changed out all 4 because 1 had pretty much imploded and was not very impressed with the quality. I'm at close to a year now on the new pads but haven't checked them lately. My ex has an 04 xl and has had similar issues. Good news is I can change the pads in 15 extra minutes on top of a rotation. Easiest pad change I've ever dealt with.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-14-2013, 10:51 AM
on my list to check when it comes out of the garage. I haul a lot of machinery/etc so could be an issue too. I changed them maybe a year after I got the truck and then a year later they were crap. I changed out all 4 because 1 had pretty much imploded and was not very impressed with the quality. I'm at close to a year now on the new pads but haven't checked them lately. My ex has an 04 xl and has had similar issues. Good news is I can change the pads in 15 extra minutes on top of a rotation. Easiest pad change I've ever dealt with.

Brakes have come a long way for ease of replacement in both GM and Ford trucks (not sure about the rest of the guys). If you haven't previously, I would consider some better than stock brake pads......sounds like your driving requirements call for it.

milkmania
03-15-2013, 02:57 PM
well, now that I "hit it"....
I wanna add iPhone/iPod/mp3 capability to the factory 5 cd disc changer Bose head unit.
There's an AUX button on the unit, but I figure it's for an external CD changer:confused:

Need some feedback
I'd be happy with wiring a stereo aux plug and mounting it in dash
similar to this, http://modmyi.com/forums/accessory-review/358811-aux-input-suburban-iphone-cool.htmlexcept I'd go with the 3.5 mm mini-pin stereo female jack on the front panel, and (swap to RCA jacks behind the panel if needed) like this http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=PDM35

seems like it could be done without going to RCA jacks:confused:

or perhaps.....

Bluetooth Module for use with the PXAMG or uPAC Interface
http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=ISBT21

or
http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=ISGM575

any ideas?

Ski-me
03-15-2013, 05:09 PM
An idea.....:o

New Deck with built-in BlueTooth

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500W235BT/Alpine-CDE-W235BT.html?tp=5684#overview-tab

Some bluetooths are good, others are not. I think the sound quality is a gamble. I have an Alpine in my Suburban with Bluetooth and I'd say the quality is better than my wife's Lexus bluetooth. But mine is a little older now so don't know how the newer stuff compares.

TRBenj
03-15-2013, 06:01 PM
seems like it could be done without going to RCA jacks:confused:

If the head unit can accept a CD changer and has input RCA jacks, why not just plug in a cable like this (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3452165&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_term=3452165&utm_content=Exact&utm_campaign=PLA&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CIi17tnO_7UCFYbF4Aods2EAAA&gclsrc=ds)?

GoneBoatN
03-16-2013, 01:55 AM
Well, my 05 Expedition with only ~83,000 miles is giving me problems again. :confused: If I found a deal like Milk got I would "hit it" without hesitation.