PDA

View Full Version : touching up painted aluminum

PointTaken
09-16-2005, 08:25 PM
My windshield and rear air vents are painted black but have many chips now from years of use. Has anyone touched these up well without taking them off and repainting them?

Workin' 4 Toys
09-16-2005, 08:48 PM
My windshield and rear air vents are painted black but have many chips now from years of use. Has anyone touched these up well without taking them off and repainting them?
Would it be out of the question to suggest powdercoating them so you never have to think about it again?

PointTaken
09-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Would it be out of the question to suggest powdercoating them so you never have to think about it again?
I don't know. Pardon my ignorance, but powder-coating doesn't chip? I think my buddies tower is powder-coated black and it has a lot of chips in it. But it sounds like you recommend taking them off and repainting though.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-16-2005, 11:00 PM
A good powdercoating shouldn't chip. There are good jobs and bad. Just like paint, if it isn't designed for the application, it probably won't hold up. If you want a place to inquire with check out www.gorillapowdercoating.com (http://www.gorillapowdercoating.com) they have the technology to have something done per application. Not just a layer of powder. They have in-house chemical engineers to make sure it works. I have used them, and plan on having everything I don't want to paint done. I am going to have them ceramic coat my exhaust for my sled too.
There is also a local blaster you could mail the pieces to and he does an unbelievable job on blasting. If you want, I could get you his info too.

SKI*MC
09-16-2005, 11:59 PM
We have our trailer powder coated, strong paint, i dont think we have any chips on it, well theres a few but the winch hook.

T Scott
09-17-2005, 08:27 AM
I have re-painted the vents on several of the boats I have owned over the years. The trick is to use a quality primer so the paint has something to stick to. As always, several thin layers of paint is better than a thick one. Luckily, if it chips or fades again over the years, a can of good spray paint is only $3 bucks!!

Good Luck!

Ric
09-17-2005, 08:59 AM
I know that DP40 is a good primer for painting aluminum (and plastic). You can probably just get a quart of it at an automotive paint supply store.

bigmac
09-17-2005, 09:21 AM

If he's going to pull the frame off and remove glass/seals, and prep the metal for powder coating, what about having it anodized instead of painting or powder-coating?

Ric
09-17-2005, 09:33 AM
If he's going to pull the frame off and remove glass/seals, and prep the metal for powder coating, what about having it anodized instead of painting or powder-coating?
I guess if you could find someone with a large enough tank anodizing would work nicely.

edit, wait he's talking about not taking the w/s off
I wouldn't want to take it off either, that looks like a huge pain in the a.

Hoosier Bob
09-17-2005, 12:19 PM
Use a permanent marker on the windshield and have your vent anodized or find the old zinc chromate (spelling) that they used on automobile w/s frame, I would go anodized. Check plating shops or if they are alloy screw the paint/anodizing and pollish them. Black does look better though. :twocents: My windshield and rear air vents are painted black but have many chips now from years of use. Has anyone touched these up well without taking them off and repainting them?

erkoehler
09-17-2005, 01:53 PM
I have some black touch-up paint from Honda genuine accessories that I used on my windshield on the drivers side, and it turned out pretty nice.

I could snap some pics if you like????

PointTaken
09-17-2005, 06:16 PM
I have some black touch-up paint from Honda genuine accessories that I used on my windshield on the drivers side, and it turned out pretty nice.

I could snap some pics if you like????
Pics would be great. Thanks. This is probably more what I'm looking for, I really dont watnt ot take off the windshield to repaint it. The vents I would.

PointTaken
09-17-2005, 06:20 PM
Use a permanent marker on the windshield and have your vent anodized or find the old zinc chromate (spelling) that they used on automobile w/s frame, I would go anodized. Check plating shops or if they are alloy screw the paint/anodizing and pollish them. Black does look better though. :twocents:
Thanks. I haven't yet taken anything off my boat, its a '91, but I guess I should get those vents to work on them. I've got this phobia that once you take stuff off and put it back on, it never seems to tighen up or be the same. I have to get over it, as my wife always says. I will try the permanent market to see how it goes.

Hoosier Bob
09-17-2005, 08:26 PM
I have had my rear vent off plenty of times just to clean around them. No worries as they always return to form. Good luck! :toast: Thanks. I haven't yet taken anything off my boat, its a '91, but I guess I should get those vents to work on them. I've got this phobia that once you take stuff off and put it back on, it never seems to tighen up or be the same. I have to get over it, as my wife always says. I will try the permanent market to see how it goes.

PointTaken
10-06-2005, 09:30 PM
Use a permanent marker on the windshield and have your vent anodized or find the old zinc chromate (spelling) that they used on automobile w/s frame, I would go anodized. Check plating shops or if they are alloy screw the paint/anodizing and pollish them. Black does look better though. :twocents:

The permanent marker worked great on the windshield. :) The back vents will have to come off this winter and get repainted. Have to go with the black, I like the look. Thanks for the tips.

SDAhockey21
10-07-2006, 03:31 PM
Permanent Mark worked great for me to

TMCNo1
10-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Get 1 can of Krylon Flat Black and 1 can of Semigloss Black and spray some of both in one of the lids, mix up and let the thin paint thicken up some and touch-up with a artist brush, including all the screw heads and frame ends. I have used Magic Marker for 30 years, but it has a blue tint to it and will wear off fast, because it is so thin. Yet, it is good in a emergency!