PDA

View Full Version : Clear or not Iron outdoors?

h2oskifreak
03-07-2013, 10:16 AM
I have an outdoor kitchen/hot tub area and bought fancy iron hooks for the towells. They are Iron with Copper accents. I cleared coated the Copper part before I installed them to keep the golden look of the copper. That clear worked and they still look great after the full winter. The painted black iron part started to rust and had potential to "run" streaks down my new cedar fence. I used a wire wheel and sand paper, took them to bare metal, primed, and painted with a "rust resistant" black flat paint. My question; Should I clear coat the black part of the hook, or will it hold up just the way I have it "flat black"? I used rubber spacers to keep the metal off the fence, but I think I need another spacer as well but and that hopefully will keep the fence from being discolored. Clear/No Clear?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-07-2013, 10:28 AM
I would give it a semi-gloss finish clear. At the very least, that black is going to fade a lot in a year.

76S&S
03-07-2013, 01:56 PM
My wife and I do some custom metal work.

A really great look is to let iron lightly rust and then paint with clear. Kinda gives it an antique look. It should contrast nicely with the copper.

Dylan
03-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Any pictures of said outdoor kitchen? I have almost convinced my wife to let me put one in!