PDA

View Full Version : Another Tip Debate

milkmania
03-07-2013, 07:19 AM
Since the last one was so much fun8p

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/a27xnpYHxptlZgPUaAaR2w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/lifestyles/2013-03-06/9c998aee-080b-45f0-a1fd-7ec33ddb7bd1_M7h5HlQ.jpg

On Tuesday, a Reddit user named Jfastman uploaded a photo of a receipt for a pizza delivery that included 85 pizzas totaling $1,453. "My friend delivered 85 pizzas today and got a $10 tip," he wrote

FULL STORY: Delivery Guy Gets 10 Dollar Tip for 85 Pizzas (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/shine.yahoo.com/work-money/what-kind-of-person-tips-10-dollars-for-85-pizzas--173851199.html)

Personally, I'd personally give $25.00 minimum on something like this:rolleyes:

a comment from a yahoo member:
Of course they want us to tip more!! The more we tip, the less company's have to pay them because of "tip credit" laws. If my tip is considered part of a servers wages then how is it a gratuity to anyone but the owner of the business?
Fix the laws so tipping makes sense.

Double D
03-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Yeah this one is a bit different. I was a Pizza Delivery guy once and I was never tipped on a percentage of the sale. It was always a buck here, a buck there. A $10 tip on single delivery is great. The fact that there are 85 pizza's then maybe it should be a bit more because there was at least 8 to 10 trips from the car to the door. I say $10 is low. I guess I would have tipped $30 maybe in this situation?? I can be swayed with good argument since I was never in this position on either side of this type of sale.

02ProstarSammyD
03-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Just the tip?

Thats crappy right there hahahah

but seriously there was prob a delivery fee with the 1400 that was outrageous

milkmania
03-07-2013, 09:13 AM
Just the tip?

Thats crappy right there hahahah

but seriously there was prob a delivery fee with the 1400 that was outrageous

is that kinda like the old stale one liner where the doctor gets ready to give you a shot and says "you're about to feel a little pr!ck":confused:

dangit, jacked my own threadhttp://68.178.167.89/smf/Smileys/default/banghead.gif

02ProstarSammyD
03-07-2013, 09:14 AM
is that kinda like the old stale one liner where the doctor gets ready to give you a shot and says "you're about to feel a little *****"

more like a high school prom 1 liner if I do recall correctly

milkmania
03-07-2013, 09:16 AM
BTW, if my math serves me correctly..... 20% on $1453.00 would be $290.00
So, you can't really justify that type of tip for pizza delivery :twocents:

milkmania
03-07-2013, 09:19 AM
more like a high school prom 1 liner if I do recall correctly

or
"you look like you got a little mexican in ya" http://68.178.167.89/smf/Smileys/default/sombrero.gif

dang, this thread went south fasthttp://68.178.167.89/smf/Smileys/default/13501381245.gif

02ProstarSammyD
03-07-2013, 09:28 AM
ang, this thread went south fast

so did she *drumroll*

TxsRiverRat
03-07-2013, 10:17 AM
If theres a delivery fee, then no tip.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Large orders like that are prepaid so the pizza store doesn't get stiffed. $10 was a joke, but clearly a pizza delivery guy doesn't rate a 15-20% tip just for delivering. Something in the order of $25 - $50 would be in order, depending upon whether this was going to a non-profit organization or a pro athlete.

Nordicron
03-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Dang that's $17 bucks a pizza too. I agree $10 is alittle cheap.

I've got a question. I pickup my own pizza at a drive up window. Do you offer a tip in this instance? If paying by credit card there is a spot to put tip.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-07-2013, 10:45 AM

I've got a question. I pickup my own pizza at a drive up window. Do you offer a tip in this instance? If paying by credit card there is a spot to put tip.

I never have.

TxsRiverRat
03-07-2013, 10:50 AM

More like $14.50 per pie here in texas...

$1283.95 85 Pizzas
$119.94675 .0825 sales tax
$50 delivery fee
==========
$1453.90

Double D
03-07-2013, 10:56 AM

NO! I line through it and put the total. No reason for a tip there!

pmkkdx
03-07-2013, 11:06 AM
NO! I line through it and put the total. No reason for a tip there!

same here ...

milkmania
03-07-2013, 11:22 AM
so did she *drumroll*http://therideinstyle.com/rimshot.gif

drschemel
03-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Along this line, I really hate the concept of "tipping" because it allows restaurant owners to underpay their employees. The cost for the service should be included in the cost of the food. I mean, does a waiter at a steak place serving $100 plates really deserve $20 for bringing it out while the one at a sandwich shop only gets $4 for doing the same thing? I guess if I bought $1500 worth of pizzas with "free delivery", I wouldn't expect to pay a tip for delivery. I don't tip the mail man or UPS guy either. I have never heard UPS saying that they can't pay their drivers enough because if they did, no one would be able to afford to use UPS. So why do restaurant owners get a pass on this?
Anyway, just my thoughts and worth what you all paid for them!

TxsRiverRat
03-07-2013, 12:26 PM
I don't tip the mail man or UPS guy either.

you might wanna delete this before the drivers union sees this

http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

thatsmrmastercraft
03-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Along this line, I really hate the concept of "tipping" because it allows restaurant owners to underpay their employees. The cost for the service should be included in the cost of the food. I mean, does a waiter at a steak place serving $100 plates really deserve $20 for bringing it out while the one at a sandwich shop only gets $4 for doing the same thing? I guess if I bought $1500 worth of pizzas with "free delivery", I wouldn't expect to pay a tip for delivery. I don't tip the mail man or UPS guy either. I have never heard UPS saying that they can't pay their drivers enough because if they did, no one would be able to afford to use UPS. So why do restaurant owners get a pass on this?
Anyway, just my thoughts and worth what you all paid for them!

Walk in to most Subway locations and they have tip jars that are approved by the franchise?!?

I agree with the whole concept of tipping is wrong. Let the business owner control the quality of the servers he hires and pay them accordingly. It wouldn't make eating at a restaurant cost any more or less.

jdl xstar
03-07-2013, 12:48 PM

drschemel
03-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Just to clarify, I'm not saying I don't tip. Lord knows the wait staff would be grossly underpaid it not for tips. Just saying in the rest of the world, tipping is not a custom and service does not suffer.

onewheat
03-07-2013, 01:36 PM
I was 'chastised' in Budapest by a friend for tipping too much - he said it angered the locals if i was throwing money around like that. I just tipped like I do here - normally around 20%, but things were so cheap there, that was still nothing. I bought a round of 3 pints and 3 shots of Jager and it cost me the equivalent of about $6.00 US. I do like the idea of less tipping - I hate the fact that a tip is expected if I get a haircut, full-service car wash, lift a bag into a taxi, etc. I don't mind tipping for servers in a restaurant, but I agree with 'deschemel' about the price of dinners vs what the server gets. It sucks for those who work in less-expensive restaurants, but I guess that's where they applied to work?

Our pizza place doesn't deliver and I don't tip when I pick up my own food either.

I'd like to know more of the story on the receipt in question though - delivery fee, etc. 85 pizzas wouldn't fit in a car, so it's either a van or pick-up truck or catering van, etc.

Great - now I'm hungry...:rant:

medicmoose
03-08-2013, 06:33 AM
Just to clarify, I'm not saying I don't tip. Lord knows the wait staff would be grossly underpaid it not for tips. Just saying in the rest of the world, tipping is not a custom and service does not suffer.

I guess this is the problem then...the owners of restaurants expect the customers to subsidize the wage of their employees...and if the employee goes home with a really poor pay-check, the owner can simply deflect the blame to customers for not tipping enough.

I think the market will dictate where prices can go. If you currently go to a restaurant and pay $30 for a steak....I don't think that the wait staff getting a reasonable wage would allow that steak to become a $40 steak.

I think the whole idea of tipping is a sham! If I go out and drop $120 for dinner I should expect that I will get good service...the service staff should not just provide good service in hopes of a good tip!

There was a time (not that long ago) when I made $16/hour as a critical care paramedic. I have brought people back from the dead....no tip. Maybe I should have brought a steak with me :rolleyes:

milkmania
03-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Actually, I do work in a "tip based" industry..... but, when I give a quote, verbally or written it is
"$xx.00 per hour with a minimum of two hours, and this quote does not include gratuity for the driver"
But, this is an up front quote, before I roll out.

Some tip, some don't.... many over-tip, so in the long run it averages out the ones that don't tip. And more tend to over-tip because I always go above and beyond the scope of my work.
I've taken groups to parties, and offered to help serve.... offered to make the beer run, go pick up alcohol, ice, etc.... You just try to go above and beyond and let the customer advertise for you.
If they think they got a good value for their money, you'll prosper.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-08-2013, 11:38 AM
I guess this is the problem then...the owners of restaurants expect the customers to subsidize the wage of their employees...and if the employee goes home with a really poor pay-check, the owner can simply deflect the blame to customers for not tipping enough.

I think the market will dictate where prices can go. If you currently go to a restaurant and pay $30 for a steak....I don't think that the wait staff getting a reasonable wage would allow that steak to become a $40 steak.

I think the whole idea of tipping is a sham! If I go out and drop $120 for dinner I should expect that I will get good service...the service staff should not just provide good service in hopes of a good tip!

There was a time (not that long ago) when I made $16/hour as a critical care paramedic. I have brought people back from the dead....no tip. Maybe I should have brought a steak with me :rolleyes:

Or had a tip jar.:rolleyes: