PDA

View Full Version : Reliable Brand Swing Away Tongue Replacement

2010Prostar197
03-06-2013, 10:47 PM
For those of you that have the now defunct Reliable swing away tongue....

Before anyone starts cutting more tongues off their trailers and dealing with all the hassle of re-welding parts etc....

I talked to Jackie Lipford from UFP last December and then followed up with him a week ago and they have made a "bolt on" MasterCraft certified replacement for the defunct Reliable swing away tongue.

I too have a Reliable actuator that started leaking last fall. The thought of cutting and re-welding a perfectly good looking trailer didn't sit well.

I called Waymires in Indianapolis, Indiana, a UFP distributor (www.waymires.com) and they said they expected the first shipment to arrive in the next few weeks. Jackie said MasterCraft will also have them and I assume you would have to talk to your dealer about that.

Its suppose to be a "take off the bolt" and "pull the pin" type of direct replacement...quick and simple so he says. Of course it will have to be painted to match and from what I understand you can get the single drum, dual drum, single disk, and the dual disk version as the actuator assembly fits in the same housing.

Hope this helps!

Sodar
03-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Great info and news!

rgardjr1
03-06-2013, 11:35 PM
When I went through this last summer I talked to my dealer about replacement parts for the Reliable actuator. They called the factory and found out that no Reliable parts were available but they could build the swing away piece for me with the UFP actuator for a mere $800. That's why I went the route I did and cut the old swing away tongue apart and welded it to the UFP sleeve. I spent $180 for the UFP sleeve and actuator. There would be another $100-$200 spent at a machine shop if you can't do the cutting and welding yourself. Then there's the paint.

GoneBoatN
03-07-2013, 01:55 AM
Very cool. Although mine is still functional, I've had the latch mechanism jam up a couple of times so I'll be interested in replacing it sometime soon.

erervin
03-07-2013, 12:49 PM
That's great news! Thanks for the update. Now I've got to make a call to my local weld shop to see if they've started the "cut and replace". If not, this is certainly the way I want to proceed.

erervin
03-09-2013, 09:48 AM
I called UFP on Friday and they are expecting the part to be ready in a couple weeks. They did metion that it may come painted and ready to install directly. They're waiting on some welding supplies, but all testing was completed successfully.

2010Prostar197
03-09-2013, 01:14 PM
I can assume then you saved your trailer from the welding shop. Lol

When I talked to UFP they mentioned the unit would come coated and ready to paint. Painting is the easy part. If you can get it painted to match that would be cool!!

I figured the painting was the easy part. Trying to find someone capable of cutting and welding it properly so it doesn't come apart when you are driving down the highway was the worry for me. Everyone can weld....but only a few can do it right. Just one more worry I didn't want to deal with.