PDA

View Full Version : 2012 X1?

Tristar Racing
03-06-2013, 12:38 AM
It was my understanding the X1 was axed for a number of reasons, but one was the Ilmor engine package didnt fit. I just happened to stumble on this today:

http://www.queenslandmarinecentre.com.au/used-boats/used-boat-details?the-boat=1771

I know they used the molds for a few electric X1s, is the 205V still being produced for foreign markets?

jhall0711
03-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Been posted before.... It seems they built at least one....:confused:

Tristar Racing
03-06-2013, 12:52 AM
Sorry, just saw the other thread after searching:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51751

I wonder what the story is here...

jhall0711
03-06-2013, 12:59 AM
Sorry, just saw the other thread after searching:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51751

I wonder what the story is here...

Someone with more pull than any of us wanted a 2012 X1 with an Ilmore?:rolleyes:

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
03-06-2013, 01:06 AM
iirc, new x1 are for export only.

Tristar Racing
03-06-2013, 01:16 AM
I know part of the X1 issue towards the end was it was outclassed by newer low cost towboat options. Wouldn't it make sense to allow those in North America to order a new X1 if they wanted it? Maybe no one wants one, hell my X1 sat at the dealer for a year and a half before I got it.

I think MC could experiment with a new way of selling towboats and use the X1 as the product. Made to order, limited options, limited production volume, first come first serve. Get people into the MC fold and have them work their way up the model ladder as their needs change.

Of course that assumes there is a low cost towboat market. After seeing people complain about Moomba, Axis, and others, and watching those manufacturers add content and quality, perhaps there really isn't. Who knows, but I would like to see MC try it. The one thing I know is EVERYONE that has any knowledge in the towboat industry respects the 205V as a classic, and raves about how fun of a boat it is to ride behind. This was the first year at the Chicago boat show my answer to "do you have a towboat" was yes, and every sales person I talked to lit up when I mentioned the X1.

MIskier
03-06-2013, 12:46 PM
I know part of the X1 issue towards the end was it was outclassed by newer low cost towboat options. Wouldn't it make sense to allow those in North America to order a new X1 if they wanted it? Maybe no one wants one, hell my X1 sat at the dealer for a year and a half before I got it.

I think MC could experiment with a new way of selling towboats and use the X1 as the product. Made to order, limited options, limited production volume, first come first serve. Get people into the MC fold and have them work their way up the model ladder as their needs change.

Of course that assumes there is a low cost towboat market. After seeing people complain about Moomba, Axis, and others, and watching those manufacturers add content and quality, perhaps there really isn't. Who knows, but I would like to see MC try it. The one thing I know is EVERYONE that has any knowledge in the towboat industry respects the 205V as a classic, and raves about how fun of a boat it is to ride behind. This was the first year at the Chicago boat show my answer to "do you have a towboat" was yes, and every sales person I talked to lit up when I mentioned the X1.

MC is already doing this with their Hydra-Sports brand...the brand was sold to one of their dealers Plantation Boatmart and now all the boats are ordered factory direct. These are for high dollar boats with high profit margins. There really is no reason for MC to go out of its way to build a 40k boat that has nearly the same profit margin as a 80k boat other than maybe getting a few new people into the brand.

Thrall
03-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Appears MC isn't intersted in the "budget" tow boats. They obviously figured out how to fit the ilmor engine not that hard.
I sorta agree with them. When the budget boat is still over 40k for a stripped down version I think most of the folks in that market like me are going to go with a used mc with more options for the same or less $ or buy another brand that they get more options and interior room for their dollar.
It's not like the the other brands are unreliable piles of crap. They all have drivetrains from the same couple suppliers, throw good wakes for the most part and with some care last a long time.
I'm pretty brand loyal to MC just because but I don't think the MC name means as much to most people looking for an entry wake boat. If it did, MC would be stomping the competition and there wouldn't be a dozen tow boat mfrs in business.

bobx1
03-06-2013, 01:46 PM
....There really is no reason for MC to go out of its way to build a 40k boat that has nearly the same profit margin as a 80k boat other than maybe getting a few new people into the brand.

I understand your case from an economics standpoint but entry level boats do serve their purpose by exposing a brand to young (and less affluent) consumers in hopes to build brand loyalty.

http://www.bostonwhaler.com/Page.aspx/pageId/29592/pmid/308674/150-Montauk.aspx

http://www.chaparralboats.com/2013/chaparral/Chaparral-Boat.php?boat_id=59&page=home

http://www.searay.com/Page.aspx/pageId/10232/pmid/309107/190-Sport.aspx

brucemac
03-06-2013, 02:44 PM
MC isn't intersted in the "budget" tow boats.

↑ This!

captain planet
03-06-2013, 03:08 PM

An even larger reason was small interior size of the 205V relative to newer boats hitting the market at the time.

MASTIQUE
03-06-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm betting we will see the return of value conscious boats from MC. It's not so much the profit margin as it is volume to allocate fixed overhead too. Also more models means more the dealers will stock to show (less $$$ on their floor plan for stock value boats) and still leave room for ordered high margin custom models by customer choice and not running up curtailments so people can "look" at it, yet order what they want.

carlsonwa
03-06-2013, 06:38 PM
hope they bring back the X1 someday.

snork
01-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Nice look'n X1 with ZFT4 on the far left

dt37803
01-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Thats at the Boat show in Germany! not U.S.

Tristar Racing
01-20-2014, 12:41 AM
Nice look'n X1 with ZFT4 on the far left

I was hoping, but after zooming in it looks to be an x15...

MIskier
01-20-2014, 10:16 PM
I was hoping, but after zooming in it looks to be an x15...

Prostar 214v

snork
01-20-2014, 10:25 PM
I think MIskier got it nailed, oh well one could only hope there was a future for the X1