PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a new actuator?

kdale1
03-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Hey guys I have a damaged actuator (I think that is proper name for the black piece on the front of the trailer that contains the latching mechanism correct?) Anyways it is a 2010 single axel trailer that tows my 2009 X14. I asked my local dealer if they had any in stock but they did not have any. Anyone have some ideas on where to get one?

mikeg205
03-05-2013, 09:00 PM
www.pacifictrailer.com or https://caltrailerworks.com/online/home.php

MIskier
03-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Red-Neck Trailer supplies would probably be a better choice so he does not have to ship across country.

Ski-me
03-06-2013, 12:54 PM
They sometimes do free shipping.

I JUST placed an order from Pacific Trailer and if done online, they will do free shipping.

I also bought new brakes, calipers and actuator from Cal Trailer Works a few months ago.....free shipping too.

Skyskiguy
03-06-2013, 04:19 PM
x2 for Pacific Trailer.

GoneBoatN
03-06-2013, 04:25 PM
2010 Trailer: This would not happen to be the Reliable Actuator? If it is, unfortunately Reliable is not longer making them. If this is the case you will have to re-work the whole actuator and the outer member as well as the inner member.

Check out http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48711 if you have a Reliable actuator. If I remember correctly there were at least a few threads started about this. You should be able to find more just by searching.

jgraham37128
03-06-2013, 06:48 PM
I have a 2010 Boatmate trailer and the same thing happened to me, I called Boatmate and then they referred me to the people who supply them with the tongue mechanism. I called them and the guy sent me a new one for free. I told him I could install it without carrying it to the dealer. It should be under warranty if it's a 2010 trailer?

JG

GoneBoatN
03-06-2013, 07:25 PM
I have a 2010 Boatmate trailer and the same thing happened to me, I called Boatmate and then they referred me to the people who supply them with the tongue mechanism. I called them and the guy sent me a new one for free. I told him I could install it without carrying it to the dealer. It should be under warranty if it's a 2010 trailer?

JG

If its a Reliable Actuator then from the Reliable actuator service manual:
Reliable Surge Brake Actuator
A warranty period of two (2) years is extended on all surge brake actuators manufactured by Reliable.

GoneBoatN
03-06-2013, 07:27 PM
Also, what exactly was the damage on the actuator. Since you mention the latching mechanism it makes me curious. I had difficulties with the latching mechanism and was able to make it work again.

2010Prostar197
03-06-2013, 09:16 PM
Before anyone starts cutting more tongues off their trailers....

I talked to Jackie Lipford from UFP last December and then followed up with him a week ago and they have made a "bolt on" MasterCraft certified replacement for the defunct Reliable swing away tongue.

I too have a Reliable actuator that started leaking last fall. The thought of cutting and re-welding a perfectly good looking trailer didn't sit well.

I called Waymires in Indianapolis, Indiana (www.waymires.com) and they said they expected the first shipment to arrive in the next few weeks. Jackie said MasterCraft will also have them and I assume you would have to talk to your dealer about that.

Its suppose to be a "take off the bolt" and "pull the pin" type of direct replacement...quick and simple so he says. Of course it will have to be painted to match and I from what I understand you can get the single drum, dual drum, single disk, and the dual disk version as the actuator assembly fits in the same housing.

Hope this helps!

bturner2
03-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Now that's a post worth a $1K. This has to be a warranty/serviceability nightmare for MasterCraft. Kind of hard to tout all that marketing talk about using the best parts and design for their trailers then not being able to service them without welding on a new tongue. I had heard that MC had a falling out with UFP then went with Reliable. The Reliable system was junk from the start and had problems with hanging calipers and leaking master cylinders. My 03 trailer suffered from both. I will say though that they did supply the parts to repair both to me for free. I'm sure that wouldn't have been enough to make your average Joe MC owner happy as I'm sure most wouldn't tackle trailer brakes on their own.

Did you get any idea as to how much this was going to go for? I'd consider getting one just to be ready for the failure.

Mike Wood
03-07-2013, 08:11 AM
we have 2 in stock they are a complete from the folding tongue forward call me at 561 737 -9423 ask for Mike
south florida mastercraft
boynton beach fl.

2010Prostar197
03-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Don't quote me on this but I heard mid 200's

Anything is better than cutting and welding!!

kdale1
03-13-2013, 02:55 AM
Thanks everyone! I tried launching it with a tractor at my dad's house and it had a swivel hitch. Basically I was trying to keep driving my truck through the yard since his boat ramp is in his back yard and the tractor is kept in a barn nearby (pretty sweet!) Well it went great except for the swivel hydraulic type hitch basically "destroyed" the latching mechanism. It's hard to describe but basically all the internals are deformed/destroyed and I have been living with just using a through bolt to keep it latched but I want to get this taken care of soon! Thanks Mike from Florida - I'll be giving you a call tomorrow!

magnum
03-23-2013, 05:51 PM
Has anyone found a stock # on www.waymires.com web site to order the replacement for an 06 Mastercraft Trailer The Actuator & the mount to connect it back to the trailer

2010Prostar197
03-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Talked to Waymires on Thursday (March 21) and they said they were still waiting for UFP to get the stock to them. I will call UFP on Monday and talk to Jackie Lipford again to see the time line for getting these to the distributors. Hopefully before it warms up!!!

2010Prostar197
04-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Talked to UFP (Monday, April 1st) and he said he had a shipment at the plating department....hopefully we should start to see them at Waymires in the next couple of weeks.

The sooner the better....weather getting nicer out!!

Skyskiguy
04-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Out with the old.... Reliable brand swing tongue/actuator
And in with the new.... UFP tongue/actuator.

Parts from Pacific Trailer - $195. Neighbor around the corner to do the cutting and welding - $75. Peace of mind knowing that my trailer brakes will actually work correctly and I will be able to get replacement parts in the future - PRICELESS!

Now all it needs is a little primer and a nice coat of gloss black paint.

steve_amestoy
04-14-2013, 11:04 PM
I just did that exact swap on my 06 trailer.

magnum
04-18-2013, 01:45 AM
Has anyone ordered one of the actuators that is a complete bolt on to replace the original actuator , I see they are suppose to be in at Waymires around the 2nd week of April

2010Prostar197
04-21-2013, 08:29 PM
I talked to Waymires last week and they said they expected them around May 1st.

I was hoping to have mine on by now as the weather is getting nice out.

2010Prostar197
04-28-2013, 01:09 AM
Waymires has them in...just pick 4 inch tall or 5 inch tall...plus your inner member to match drums, discs etc...

I will post pics when it shows up first part of next week!!

2010Prostar197
04-30-2013, 12:18 AM
Just received today...looks good...

Accurate dimensions...much beefier looking even though the Reliable construction was ok...about 3 inches longer

Next step painting!!

http://imageshack.us/a/img37/8127/dscn1442i.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img809/5941/dscn1443zt.jpg

magnum
04-30-2013, 12:55 AM
Does anyone know what kind of tool to use to purge the old fluid out of the lines when you are putting one of these new actuators on, Is there some type of pump to screw on the line that disconnects from the actuator to put pressure on the line . mine had the rusty fluid/water in the resevoir so hopefully the wheel cylinders are not froze up

2010Prostar197
04-30-2013, 01:03 AM
Motive Products makes a pressurized unit to do the UFP brakes.

Model 0130 or 0135 I believe...

www.motiveproducts.com

I will hopefully get it bolted up tomorrow. I can see that I may have to change the flexible brake line as the UFP actuator is farther forward in the head.

Skyskiguy
04-30-2013, 01:55 AM
The flex brake line on mine was long enough to reach the reverse solenoid in the new actuator, even with the extra length.

2010Prostar197
05-02-2013, 04:32 PM
I just got sticker shocked on the cost of paint compared to 20 years ago.

I'm doing it myself so no labor involved.

Red has always been expensive but jeez.

DuPont Imron is what the trailer came with and the cost for a quart is 274 dollars plus 140 dollars for the activator.

Even the cheaper versions are 190 dollars a quart.

I'm sure Mastercraft mixes their own and in large quantities but for a small repaint its expensive!!

I got about the same price from a body shop.

So I was thinking about going straight black or chroming it to match the stainless steel fenders.

Opinions????

Skyskiguy
05-02-2013, 10:17 PM
I got the black DuPont MasterCraft color for mine at NCS (National Coatings and Supplies). $20 to have it mixed and put in a spray can. It took two cans to get a nice coat. So $40 plus another $15 for a can of primer. Turned out great and the color is an exact match.

2010Prostar197
05-02-2013, 11:53 PM
We do have an NCS here in town....

I assume your trailer is black??

Chrome is out of the question as we have no place within 120 miles of here...

Went to the Sherwin-Williams place that most of the body shops go to and they have a medium quality paint that will set me back about 140 dollars (red paint, reducer, and hardener)...

30 years ago there was only one quality...high...nowadays you can get cheap to ultra-expensive

All I know is between the cost of the outer unit, plus the inner member for dual discs plus painting is getting annoying to say the least. A three year old trailer shouldn't end up like this...

The only positive out of this is I will have a brake system that will work and the chances are pretty good I will be able to get replacement parts when needed for many years to come

Skyskiguy
05-03-2013, 12:38 AM
Yes, mine is black. E-mailed MasterCraft and got the DuPont paint code directly from them.
My last MasterCraft, '92 ProStar, had a UFP and twenty years later I was still able to get parts. Happy to be rid of the Reliable.

rspiecha
05-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Who did you email at Mastercraft for the paint codes for the trailer??? I'm thinking about painting my UFP tongue replacement.

Thanks

Rob

thamax
05-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Waymires never updated there website cali trailer works has a listing not specific to mastercraft but looks like a match for both tongue sizes. looks like $275 for all the parts

http://caltrailerworks.com/online/home.php?cat=156

2010Prostar197
05-07-2013, 01:00 AM
Waymires has a picture and the cost is around 169 plus the cost of the inner member.

I'm sure you can probably get them from your MC dealer also.

It's a specific retrofit for Reliable swing tongues that bit the dust.

The one you show is a weld on version unlike the UFP retrofit which is unbolt the bolt and pull the pin simple.

Both I'm sure are functional. I wasn't going to cut and weld a trailer that looks brand new.

The Waymires guys are very informative and helpful

magnum
05-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Got my new actuator from Waymire installed on the trailer today after painting it. Got all 4 wheels bleed so back in business with Brakes on trailer now . Hopefully no more brake problems for a long time

jadmars
05-14-2013, 03:05 PM
I contact Waymires today and was told 450.00 shipped. Seems a little on the expensive side. 07 X2 Trailer same problems.

mzimme
05-14-2013, 03:50 PM
I'm going through this right now with an 06 boatmate trailer. I see all the parts online, and know I need the outer shell and inner actuator, but what else besides that? Piston? Resevoir? Shock? Spring? Anything else I need for the internals?

This seems pretty complete, and a good price too. However, I think it's a weld on.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Single-Brake-Actuator-Housing/dp/B006UH63OE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1368556944&sr=8-9&keywords=ufp+a-60

mramerman@gmail.com
05-14-2013, 04:15 PM
Guys--I apologize for the thread jack; however, my 2010 tandem trailer is behaving badly. Two symptoms: 1) trailer is jumping / surging as I slow to a stop and 2) intermittently locking up as I back to the ramp.

Is this possibly an issue with a faulty actuator as described in this thread?

2010Prostar197
05-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Jadmars....

My outer member (4 inch tall) was 169 and the inner member (4 wheel disc) was 219

Can't remember the shipping but I'm 110 miles from Indy

Is yours 4 or 5 inches tall?? Not sure if it makes a difference price wise

I believe you can get the UFP inner member for slightly less if you look elsewhere but then you have to consider shipping if you are a long way away

2010Prostar197
05-14-2013, 09:41 PM
Ramerman,

Good question...

I assume you have the dreaded Reliable assembly?

What I have found with mine is it leaks, and the brake system diminishes...

A broken dampening spring can cause what you describe when stopping along with oil/grease on the rotors/drums

Backing up should yield nothing unless you have a flexible brake line kinked in the swing away tongue. It gets kinked and the pressure never releases making the wheels appear to jump/slide

How do the rotors/drums look? Like they have been to hot???

mzimme
05-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Does this come with the master cylinder, spring, and all other internal components of the inner sleeve? Do you re-use the parts from the old actuator in the new one? I need help understanding this as I need to purchase something along these lines. My entire brake system is shot on an 06 boatmate trailer.

JDC
05-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Does this come with the master cylinder, spring, and all other internal components of the inner sleeve? Do you re-use the parts from the old actuator in the new one? I need help understanding this as I need to purchase something along these lines. My entire brake system is shot on an 06 boatmate trailer.It's complete. No old parts (except for the large pin and pivot bolt) are used.

mzimme
05-16-2013, 02:55 PM
When you guys are measuring the height to choose 4 or 5" height, what are you measuring? Height of the tube from top to bottom? Height from top to bottom from inside edges of tubing? Height between bolt holes that hold the swing away portion on? Did your measurements come out to EXACTLY 4" or 5", or was it maybe 1/4" taller than 4"?

2010Prostar197
05-16-2013, 02:58 PM
Did Boatmate use the same swing away assembly (Reliable brand) as the Mastercraft trailers???

2010Prostar197
05-16-2013, 03:00 PM
It's measured at the main tubing from top to bottom on the outside. Don't measure where the tubes/fittings overlap. Just the plain channel. Mine was exactly 4inches

mzimme
05-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Did Boatmate use the same swing away assembly (Reliable brand) as the Mastercraft trailers???

My swing away looks exactly like what you posted (your red reliable actuator). The hole for the swing away bolt and pin measure the exact same distance from center to center (4") as the MC's, but from what the guy told me who currently has my trailer, mine is more like 4 1/2" tall. I want to go measure it myself though to be sure.

I don't see any UFP actuators that are 4.5" tall though. All of them you can buy (not just this MC specific actuator) are either 4 or 5" options.

mzimme
05-16-2013, 03:23 PM
And just to be clear, you're talking about measuring the height of the actuator, and not the height of the tubing used for the rest of the trailer... correct? That piece you discard of when replacing it with the UFP piece is what you're measuring, correct?

2010Prostar197
05-16-2013, 03:24 PM
If I measure where the tube and main channel come together it measures about 4.5 inches.

In my picture the black winch cover (on the right side) and then straight down is the main tube which is 4.0 inches.

Never heard of 4.5 inch channel but I guess it's possible. The bigger trailers use the 5.0 inch tubing. Side to side is 3.0 inches on mine

mzimme
05-16-2013, 03:32 PM
If I measure where the tube and main channel come together it measures about 4.5 inches.

In my picture the black winch cover (on the right side) and then straight down is the main tube which is 4.0 inches.

Never heard of 4.5 inch channel but I guess it's possible. The bigger trailers use the 5.0 inch tubing. Side to side is 3.0 inches on mine

Got it! I was having him measure the actuator outer shell piece... not the main tubing of the trailer. I'd be willing to bet that the main tubing on my trailer is also 4", and not 4.5". Thanks for the help... looks like this piece is also compatible with boatmate trailers that used the Reliable actuator. Thanks so much!