PDA

View Full Version : Re build LT1

rodltg2
03-04-2013, 08:08 PM
I have a concern regarding a used boat. Ad states engine was re built on 1995 PS.Now has 30. Other than freezing or over 2000 hours I don't know why it would need it. My concern is that if this was neglected what else could be neglected. Is a re build in this motor as reliable as the original ?

JimN
03-04-2013, 08:42 PM
I have a concern regarding a used boat. Ad states engine was re built on 1995 PS.Now has 30. Other than freezing or over 2000 hours I don't know why it would need it. My concern is that if this was neglected what else could be neglected. Is a re build in this motor as reliable as the original ?

Overheating an LT-1 is one of the worst things that can happen. Most people don't use anti-freeze on these, or they didn't until the newer formulations came out that weren't as hard on aluminum.

I would ask the seller, directly. If possible, look at the boat before anything else happens. The general condition should tell you a lot. Take a good flashlight and an inspection mirror. Look closely at everything.

Might not be neglect- any damage could have happened completely by accident or maybe it was unavoidable, for some reason.

If the work was done well and it's up to spec, it should be fine. If you don't want to dig through it yourself, maybe you know of someone who's reliable and qualified to do a full marine survey.

rodltg2
03-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Great info thanks. Going to pass on it. Don't want to go thru the fine tooth comb inspection.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-04-2013, 10:11 PM
I would think you would want to do the fine tooth comb inspection regardless of the history. Taking the boat to a reputable dealer for a marine survey is a good plan on any used boat purchase over a few thousand dollars.

DemolitionMan
03-04-2013, 10:24 PM
Rod did you ever check this one out?

http://eastoregon.craigslist.org/bod/3561524612.html