PDA

View Full Version : superchargered MCX

thamax
03-04-2013, 01:24 PM
is there one out there i looked alot online and found nothing so far some stuff about a x-80 with a custom setup but looks to be a older mcx. i see that procharger makes kits for mercuiser. I have been a around a xic fuel system if nobody knows about it is a fully seperate system so the stock fuel system does its own thing and this only adds fuel as need through seperate injectors and can run up 12 aux injectors. its a big hit in the snowmobile world know as boost-it and i have one on a turbo street bike that works scary good along with several 4 stroke sleds. the fuel system makers never done a marine motor before so if anybody as insight would be great i know repowering would a option but its over 10k to get a LY6 and you get 50hp more so lets keep this thread on all things forced induction on late model MCX 5.7

willyt
03-04-2013, 03:12 PM
LY6 and you get 50hp more so lets keep this thread on all things forced induction on late model MCX 5.7

real-world difference between an MCX and an LY6 is closer to 80 hp

thamax
03-04-2013, 04:01 PM
at elevation like 4000-5000ft the 2 motors are closer then u think i have a friend with a LY6 in star same year as my MCX my motor is brand new with a hotter cam and he has about 6-9 lengths off the start and closed alot of the gap above 25mph then above 30 mph he pulls away everytime i know you should race boats but it was a private lake so it was in a controlled situation and about 3-6 mph top speed we are both running same props and weight is within 300lbs mine alittle heavier with extra sound equipment and aux ballast system so from what i know driving them both alot i don't see it worth the cost for me but the forced induction is appealing and wanna know who's got a setup that works and was it worth it i am not looking for a kit i know this will have to custom setup which i have no problem with gives me a spring project i know it will be intercooled and target 5-7psi and hopefully 100 hp gain my motor made 345hp at 4000 ft at 5000 rpm at the engine builders shop

snork
03-04-2013, 10:13 PM
nothin for the MCX with digital throttle
yes for 2002-04 and no 2005 and newer

thamax
03-05-2013, 12:49 AM
what is out there for the 02-04 engines?

snork
03-05-2013, 03:53 PM
Whipple SC

Forrest-X45
03-05-2013, 05:50 PM
I have researched this option a ton and have nothing but deadends. No one seems to build a marine solution for our year engines. Let alone finding someone to custom tune the ECM. That's why I seriously persued the engine swap route. I found it more cost effective to swap than try to custom build a FI solution and I didn't want to deal with custom issues during my short boating season or ruin a vacation.

I am interested in following your search to see if you are able to find a FI solution.

thamax
03-05-2013, 06:17 PM
As stated before there will be no ECM reflash but aux fuel system that can be adjusted on the fly with XIC

thamax
03-06-2013, 03:45 PM
this whipple twin roots style that fits the older mcx motors would it fit a new motor. i think i am leaning towards a roots style due to instant throttle response and built in intercooler which would work great. there really isn't room for a vortech or procharger on the either side of the motor so there is huge mounting issue. these older setups with a whipple charger drive off the crank or water pump cause the raw water pump is on the crank so how are they setup?

snork
03-06-2013, 04:54 PM
I think the water pump becomes 12v not sure though
whipple does not make a sc for a 2005 and newer mcx because of the digital throttle control.

thamax
03-06-2013, 10:14 PM
i got ahold of whipple they claim to be able to make this happen if they had the engine or boat there to build the ecm maps in house and make the throttle body adapter so i am waiting to hear what they want cost wise? we will see what they come up with they told me they haven't done this before so results are unknown at this point

snork
03-06-2013, 10:34 PM
interesante, muy interesante

Table Rocker
03-06-2013, 10:50 PM
There are people out there that specialize in performance marine engines. Here is one that is in my area:

http://www.bradsmithpower.com

thamax
03-20-2013, 09:38 PM
I haven't heard much back from the whipple guys other they want to do the full install there and hit me up for alot money so its hard to say acutally parts cost around 3-4k minus the stuff that has to be made and tuning all there turn key bolt kits start at 5k so how many mcx owners would pay that to get another 75-100hp out of the boat??

Forrest-X45
03-21-2013, 06:04 PM
This is the same issues I was running into and why I took the upgrade path. After the research I felt it would be much cheaper to upgrade engines and offset the cost by selling my existing engine. Plus it would be much more reliable than a one off super charged system. Didn't want to deal with issues on the water or not getting to the water because they were troubleshooting my custom FI system.

snork
03-21-2013, 06:51 PM
I'd pay 3-4K but no more than that and It'll be a proven systen at that too. If my boat is for R&D then they can install it at no cost to me

JimN
03-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Why not find a boat with a hull that's designed for high speed, rather than one that's designed more for its wake?

snork
03-21-2013, 08:31 PM
not look'n for speed but HP and a 50 mph star wouldn't hurt either :)

thamax
03-21-2013, 10:31 PM
Well put I just wanna get wake speed faster and have a top speed of +45 yeah I think 3-4k is the budget range for most boat owners