PDA

View Full Version : Front ballast in X-15

kgrove
03-03-2013, 12:16 PM
I've been thinking of adding ballast to the nose of my X-15. I have sacs plumbed into overflow of the rear corner lockers and would like something as effortless as well as giving my passengers more freedom to move by not having a fat sac in the walkway. I'm considering either the plumbed fligh high system that will put about 400-500 lbs in the nose or adding lead.

I'm really concerned about the fly high system taking up all my storage space. Anyone have this in an x-15 or x-2? Where do you store stuff like fenders, anchors, vests, etc.? Because I've already lost the rear corner lockers, I don't have a ton of space left. If I used the boat just for me wakeboarding I'd be able to make it work, but I also take the family out and have to consider them and their needs as well.

As for lead, I don't like it for safety reason, don't like the idea of towing an extra few hundred unnecessary pounds, and don't like that I can't get rid of it when trying to minimize the wake when younger kids are trying to wakeboard.

Thoughts? Experience? I'd really like to hear how some of you have addressed storage after using so much of it for plumbed sacs.

Aric'sX15
03-03-2013, 02:08 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51964
Lots of good info in this thread.

kgrove
03-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Good info on performance and wake, but lacking in discussion of storage space, safety, and ease of use trade offs for plumbed sacs vs lead.

ZachDaddy
03-03-2013, 07:31 PM
I have a similar setup in the bow of my X15 but I went with the Nautique wedge sacks. They are 540 lbs each. I like them because they have there largest mass in the rear of the bags. When they are full I still have room in the bow...that said I don't use the side bow seats to store anything except for the center bow cushion area.

My buddy has the same setup in his X15 but his sacks are the 400 lbs rectangle shape and he has more junk/crap than anyone should have in a boat, however, he has to trailer his setup where as I don't. As I type this I wish I had a few photo's to better illustrate my point.

I used a T and plumb in at the overflow of the center KGB, there are two excellent places to run both the hose up to the rear of each bag. Just pull up the center floor covering and look about.

The other good reason to use the wedge sacks is that the fill and drain are at the rear and the overflow at the front top. I talked at length to the guys at Wake Markers about this setup.. They are excellent in the sales and guidance department.

Aric'sX15
03-03-2013, 09:12 PM
If you buy the integrated bow sack, it will only fill to about 350 or so pounds under the seats. With mw running all mysacs full, I still have loads of storage.

Stefan
03-04-2013, 08:46 AM
I have the Nautique wedge sacs up front too, I'll hardwire them this season after we've checked for sure that with the new firmware the ballast timers will support piggy backing...
Advantage here is that you can still use the center storage for ancor etc., not the case with the integrated bow sac. Only thing I ever used the bow side compartment(s) for is a large bow fender which I won't be needing anymore due the addition of center cleats...

Will try to clear out the rear compartments (raw water filter relocation etc.) and remove the rear wall inserts to fit 1100lbs sacs (24inx24inx50in) in the rear compartments, after all they're the only ones that will adeqately fill the height and width dimensions, though they'll probably be a little to long...

Aric'sX15
03-04-2013, 03:42 PM
I have the Nautique wedge sacs up front too, I'll hardwire them this season after we've checked for sure that with the new firmware the ballast timers will support piggy backing...
Advantage here is that you can still use the center storage for ancor etc., not the case with the integrated bow sac. Only thing I ever used the bow side compartment(s) for is a large bow fender which I won't be needing anymore due the addition of center cleats...

Will try to clear out the rear compartments (raw water filter relocation etc.) and remove the rear wall inserts to fit 1100lbs sacs (24inx24inx50in) in the rear compartments, after all they're the only ones that will adeqately fill the height and width dimensions, though they'll probably be a little to long...

Good gosh, 1100s in the v drive compartments??????? My v drive sacs barely fit!

ZachDaddy
03-04-2013, 09:38 PM
@Steffan
You will not need to remove the rear panels for the 1100 lbs bags....I have the 1100 bags in my X15 and they fit great. However you should raise the gas filler hose ( last picture) there are 2 screws that hold the zip-ties.

I raised mine up and parallel with the rear seat frame...CAUTION be careful where you re install the screws as the back of the rear bottom cushion is it that small area. Just look and you will see what I'm talking about.

Aric'sX15
03-05-2013, 12:17 AM
you dont use those for wakeboarding do you? surprised those fit!! any pics of them full?

kgrove
03-05-2013, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=Stefan;912661

[/QUOTE]

What kind of anchor do you fit in that center nose storage area? I can barely find anything that will fit in there.

Unfortunately I carry more stuff than I would like up front... Box anchor, shore spike, a couple ropes, anchor bouy, two fenders, probably something else that slips my mind. That's why I'm leaning towards adding lead to the front of my boat, I just hate the idea of trailering around 400lbs of unnecessary weight, plus I like the idea of a lighter boat when I'm teaching the kids. No perfect solution...

Anyone have any pictures of their fly high or nautique wedges in front when filled? I'd like to see how much of the storage areas they consume.

GoneBoatN
03-05-2013, 01:51 PM
I not had to face the loss of the rear storage lockers as I still use just the hard tanks and that has provided enough ballast for my level. But thinking through this...

At the water, your boards should be in the tower racks so that leaves the space under/around the observers seat available. I typically just put the stuff we don't regularly need (extra/guest life vests) in there as I don't like having to open/close that seat often because someone is typically sitting there. But that should be plenty of room for your vests, anchor(s), ropes, fenders, etc as that is a massive space you can pile stuff into. Sure, you are going to have to dig around in there when you need something but such is life.

Cooler space is of course occupied by the cooler. No changing that.

There is the space behind the drivers seat. Besides the heater hoses, that is a fairly big space. I typically just store the wakeboard stuff there and the dreaded tubes. The tubes take up most of the space and without them leaves quite a bit of room to store other things.

The other storage areas in the X-15 are small - between the cooler area and the rear port storage locker (my batteries are there). Same area on the starboard side is also small. You should be able to use these for small items (safety flag, wakeboard handle and rope...).

I'd also suggest getting some small storage boxes with lids that secure to store things like snacks and such and then just leave one or two of those in the open space of the boat. Clear works best as you can see what is where. I have some and my wife always wants to put them away in the rear storage lockers but I just as much prefer that they sit out so that people are not constantly opening the rear lockers.

My plan is to put an integrated bow sac into the bow storage area. I typically just have the box anchor/rope, mirror which is not there once we get to the water and some wet suits. My plan is to simply relocate the box anchor (have not decided exactly where yet). The rest is a no brain-er.

Stefan
03-05-2013, 02:25 PM
What kind of anchor do you fit in that center nose storage area? I can barely find anything that will fit in there.

Unfortunately I carry more stuff than I would like up front... Box anchor, shore spike, a couple ropes, anchor bouy, two fenders, probably something else that slips my mind. That's why I'm leaning towards adding lead to the front of my boat, I just hate the idea of trailering around 400lbs of unnecessary weight, plus I like the idea of a lighter boat when I'm teaching the kids. No perfect solution...

Anyone have any pictures of their fly high or nautique wedges in front when filled? I'd like to see how much of the storage areas they consume.

I have two spikes, two 70ft ancorlines and one of these (http://www.bootszubehoer.de/images/produkte/3398-0104015o.jpg) up there, it weighs 6kg~14lbs and it held up to 6 skiboats during Chill&Ride festival on the river Rhein last season, although they're not supposed to be very good ancors, it did it for me so far (lakes and rivers up to 6mph). I use a fender as ancor bouy, when I rarely need it. No way lead will find a way into my boat...

Stefan
03-05-2013, 02:32 PM
I'd also suggest getting some small storage boxes with lids that secure to store things like snacks and such and then just leave one or two of those in the open space of the boat. Clear works best as you can see what is where.

That's the way we do it too, find a size you can fit though the lower opening underneath the observer seat, then turn them 90 degree inside the observer locker, that way we can fit 4 in a row, leaving lots of space on top of them. I also suggest finding ones without holes for all the wet stuff, that way we can take it all with us for sorting/rinsing/drying once we leave the boat...

@Steffan
You will not need to remove the rear panels for the 1100 lbs bags....I have the 1100 bags in my X15 and they fit great. However you should raise the gas filler hose ( last picture) there are 2 screws that hold the zip-ties.

I raised mine up and parallel with the rear seat frame...CAUTION be careful where you re install the screws as the back of the rear bottom cushion is it that small area. Just look and you will see what I'm talking about.

Thanks, I'll give that a try in a couple of weeks...