PDA

View Full Version : allow friends use equipment?

boogie420
03-01-2013, 11:59 AM
do you let others use your board/bindings, surf, or ski eqpt or do you keep spares for friends that don't have their own?

Ski-me
03-01-2013, 12:05 PM
I definitely let anyone use any of our gear. If I can get them on the water, the more fun everyone has! No sense telling them they can't ski because they didn't bring their own gear when I have it sitting right there!!

kskonn
03-01-2013, 12:15 PM
I keep extra boards, mainly to cover different sizes. If it so happens that my board is the perfect size for them I let them use it.

broncotw
03-01-2013, 12:20 PM
I have a small contingent of friends that have access to my gear and my boats.... It's understood that if anything is damaged they will fix or replace...... This has worked for me for years! However, you need to really trust who your friends for this to work....

LaRue
03-01-2013, 12:32 PM
if they are with us, everything is shared. If they ask to borrow something for their own outing, the tube or ropes are readily available. Whether ski or board are lent out is based on the person asking.

With a former boat I allowed someone to take it without us going along. That will never happen again. If I can't go with boat, boat stays at home.

boogie420
03-01-2013, 12:37 PM
I've been letting them use, and i wouldn't mind if something got broke stuff happens just wondering how bonded people were with their stuff. i do admit i cringe a little when the 12-14 shoe size friends manage to get squeeze my size 10 bindings on their feet.

TxsRiverRat
03-01-2013, 12:42 PM
do you let others use your board/bindings, surf, or ski eqpt or do you keep spares for friends that don't have their own?

Just like I wouldn't let anyone borrow my underwear, noone borrows my ski. Bring your own or use the 'house skis"

_fng_
03-01-2013, 12:56 PM
i do admit i cringe a little when the 12-14 shoe size friends manage to get squeeze my size 10 bindings on their feet.

I used to let people ride my board but my bindings (closed toe) got raped by bigger feet and no longer fit right. I bought new bindings and don't let people use them cause at $250+ it's too much money not to have a great fit. I've got others that they could use so everyone can ride, just not mine (they can put other bindings on my board as well).

02ProstarSammyD
03-01-2013, 01:09 PM
I keep a watson with adjustable bindings on the boat for anyone to use. No one rides my bindings/board though. I'm fine with a boat board getting beat but if someone starts chipping slingshots they are gonna die. Also got a cheapo beginner skate for the same. Can't replace my omen

shepherd
03-01-2013, 01:24 PM
I would, as long as their feet aren't too big to fit into my bindings without damaging them. But, any of my friends who don't have their own ski are probably beginners who I wouldn't recommend using my ski anyways. For them, I have an old beater set of combo skis.

I'd even let a friend borrow my underwear if he/she was in desperate need. But I wouldn't want them returned. :o

mzimme
03-01-2013, 01:48 PM
If they fit in it they can use it. What's the worst that can happen in water?

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

SKIBUMM
03-01-2013, 01:59 PM
I let anyone who can fit use my gear as long as I'm there. I will let people take my tube or an older ski or board with out me but not anything I'm not willing to sacrifice.

Standing Sideways
03-01-2013, 02:25 PM
I had to post this one:
Let a buddy try my Hyperlite Marek Nova. He turned it into a flex board in about 60 seconds

thatsmrmastercraft
03-01-2013, 02:46 PM
I had to post this one:
Let a buddy try my Hyperlite Marek Nova. He turned it into a flex board in about 60 seconds

Holy crap........how did that happen?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-01-2013, 02:46 PM
Always willing to let people use house equipment.

McFire
03-01-2013, 04:23 PM
My ski friends take better care of my stuff than my family (siblings & nephews). My brother trashed my sleeveless barefoot suit trying to tumble up on the boom. My nephew wrecked my slalom binding by not using slime (despite my pointed "suggestion" to do so - guess I should have been more direct). When possible, family now uses my "back-up" equipment.

Standing Sideways
03-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Holy crap........how did that happen?
My friend Chip has had some problems with his front roll. I think he broke 5 boards last year but in November he broke his fibula instead. I normally don't mind sharing my gear, most of it including that Marek board is covered under warranty. I do have a collection of older gear that guests are welcome to use.

Standing Sideways
03-01-2013, 05:13 PM
My friend Chip has had some problems with his front roll. I think he broke 5 boards last year but in November he broke his fibula instead. I normally don't mind sharing my gear, most of it including that Marek board is covered under warranty. I do have a collection of older gear that guests are welcome to use.

Board won this time!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Board won this time!

............ouch!

JohnE
03-01-2013, 07:37 PM
I let people on my boat use all the equipment. The one and only thing that did piss me off is the big freaking donkey with size 13's trying to get into the large bindings on a board and refusing to use binding lube. He hadn't boarded ever and last time behind a boat was in a slalom ski 10 years prior. If I caused more of an outcry to prevent it it would have ruined a weekend, so I just bit my tongue and then turned to my friend Jack Daniel. Ruined (one) of a pair of $250 bindings.

TOO-TALL
03-01-2013, 08:53 PM
I let people use my stuff 2 maybe 3 times....If your a regular get your own gear.

byronic
03-01-2013, 09:39 PM
I've always let friends,GF's,daughter use boat/equipment anytime,even loan tow vehicle if needed.

bcd
03-02-2013, 08:29 AM
I used to let everyone use my new gear. After going through 3 pairs of hyperlite bindings, I started to wonder why I was buying high end gear for my friends to wear out. The last straw was on my last pair of bindings. The laces were ripping out, but I was repairing them with spiderwire. It looked bad, but kept the bindings alive. One day a friend's brother was going, ripped out the laces (not his fault, as the bindings were junk). He must have felt bad, so he didn't tell me. The next day I went to put my board on, found the ripped out bindings, and had no board to use that day. I bought Ronix bindings, which have held up much better, and repaired the old bindings for everyone else to use. It was also a good excuse for me to get a new board. Now I have my board and bindings, and everyone else can use my old setup.

tex
03-02-2013, 11:05 AM
Dry suit-Never
Jumpers-Depends on the person
Barefoot/Jumpsuits-Yes if it fits
Sky Ski-Yes
Step off ski-Yes
Boat-I don't loan my wife or my boat out!

03 35th Anniversary
03-02-2013, 11:21 AM

I don't mind.... We also share wives too!!! HaHa!!!

J/K!!!

boogie420
03-02-2013, 12:23 PM
^^^ I'm not married, but I could bring my girlfriend!?

byronic
03-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Dry suit-Never
Jumpers-Depends on the person
Barefoot/Jumpsuits-Yes if it fits
Sky Ski-Yes
Step off ski-Yes
Boat-I don't loan my wife or my boat out!

Thanks for reminding me. You are so right. Drysuit- never

03 35th Anniversary
03-02-2013, 07:49 PM
^^^ I'm not married, but I could bring my girlfriend!?

That's fine....

I won't be able to tell the difference!

But the boat is a big No No.... There is only a couple of people I'd let take it.

Traxx822
03-04-2013, 07:35 PM
I normally let anyone borrow anything of mine. Of course it depends on who. Like for instance, MikeG didn't let me use his ski ... so he can't use my surf board. ;) /sarcasm

TayMC197
03-04-2013, 09:50 PM
I don't care about people using my equipment. The barefoot suit (people piss in them) and vest are a no. The boat, it depends on who is borrowing it.

CruisinGA
03-04-2013, 09:57 PM
All my stuff gets used by friends.

The only things I would prefer to not let people borrow so much is the wakeboard ($450 boots that are wearing out) and barefoot suit.

All my friends that have their own gear also own boats.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-04-2013, 10:12 PM
I don't care about people using my equipment. The barefoot suit (people piss in them) and vest are a no. The boat, it depends on who is borrowing it.

People can borrow my boat, but I come along as driver.:rolleyes:

DemolitionMan
03-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Let them use all of our gear.

dihrdskir
03-05-2013, 06:12 AM
All my stuff gets used by friends.

The only things I would prefer to not let people borrow so much is the wakeboard ($450 boots that are wearing out) and barefoot suit.

All my friends that have their own gear also own boats.

agreed. Buddy with a beer gut doing a deep water back barefoot blows the zipper out. **** sorry mate doesn/'t cut it. Basic skis and kneebaords is OK. Next level BYO

02ProstarSammyD
03-05-2013, 08:53 AM
I let people on my boat use all the equipment. The one and only thing that did piss me off is the big freaking donkey with size 13's trying to get into the large bindings on a board and refusing to use binding lube.

LOL. This hit alil too close to home. Have a buddy (use the term loosely) who came on the boat. Big donkey is like 275 and wears a 13 or 14. Wanted to use my personal bindings (size 10 closed toe). Got a good chuckle with that. He got alil upset so I let him use my 136 board instead of that big obnoxious 145. Watching him bust his butt all day on that tiny board was priceless.

Covi
03-05-2013, 11:46 AM

That's a good one!

Kyle
03-06-2013, 01:57 PM
I let guests use my equipment.

Barefoot suits both, yes to anyone
Wetsuit, yes to anyone
Dry suit, yes to anyone
Combo skis, everyone yes
Old hung up slalom skis, yes to everyone
My comp ski I use, yes if your looking to buy one and want a test ride not everyone
Pro model wakeboards, yes they were bought for guests as I don't use them

Boat without me, yes but to only a select few friends most have a mc as well and I have access to their boat.

I have even let a club member take my boat, gear, and truck for a weekend when he took his family out on Memorial Day or Labor Day long weekend and holiday weekend on a public lake. It left with 1/8 of a tank and came back full and so was my truck. I loaned my rig to a buddy that I am close to and have known and skied 2-3x a week for 10+ years. So not everyone.....

GoneBoatN
03-06-2013, 03:13 PM

+1 here, but also requires full tank of gas, snack and drinks, dinner afterwards, ... :D

On the serious side, yes to sharing all the gear. I have cheap/decent PFDs, and a spare pair of rather large open toe wakeboard bindings for just this reason. It would be hard for a newbe to damage a board. I do make them put the board on in the water (while sitting on the platform is OK). Someone having the correct size foot is OK to use our good closed toe bindings.

The only thing I expect is contribution to the effort. Wiping down the boat, spray waxing, garbage removal, etc is a must. Typically everyone just jumps in with all that. Some times my son's friends (teenagers) need a little reminder.