PDA

View Full Version : HELP Prostar over heating

mybobtail
03-01-2013, 11:48 AM
hi hoping someone can give me a few ideas as my whole weekend is stuffed now.
I have 2013 prostar 65hrs 5.7. at 4 hrs I had the impeller replaced it has been going ok
ie the temp sitting on around 170 going to 190 and the odd 200 . with no warning lights
then last weekend the warning light came on .so I took it to the dealer on weds he replaced the thermostat said there was a problem as it wasn't opening properly. so today my mate heads off to the lake with the boat and me meeting him there a few hrs later he phones as says he did about 4 runs up the lake which is about 1mile long the light came on and also the motor shut off. so there was no point me heading down so he pulled the boat out and brought it back. so now it's to late to get it checked until tues . I was thinking of checking the impeller again tomorow morning before I take it back to dealer. just want to see if there is anything else I could check or get the dealer to check when I take it back.

tommyadrian5
03-01-2013, 12:12 PM
I have 2013 prostar 65hrs 5.7. at 4 hrs I had the impeller replaced it has been going ok
ie the temp sitting on around 170 going to 190 and the odd 200 . with no warning lights
then last weekend the warning light came on .so I took it to the dealer on weds he replaced the thermostat said there was a problem as it wasn't opening properly. so today my mate heads off to the lake with the boat and me meeting him there a few hrs later he phones as says he did about 4 runs up the lake which is about 1mile long the light came on and also the motor shut off. so there was no point me heading down so he pulled the boat out and brought it back. so now it's to late to get it checked until tues . I was thinking of checking the impeller again tomorow morning before I take it back to dealer. just want to see if there is anything else I could check or get the dealer to check when I take it back.

Do you have a strainer somewhere in your raw water circuit? Is the tranny cooler clogged? I'd try pulling the plugs on the engine block and seeing what comes out.

mybobtail
03-01-2013, 12:16 PM
yeh have checked the strainer that seems to be all clear

bikenskijerm
03-01-2013, 12:30 PM
When we first got our 2012 X-15 w/ the 5.7 it was purging all the water from the raw water intake each time we lifted it out of the water. When you started the boat the next time it was getting hot since there was no water getting to the block. My dealership unhooked the canister filter that is in the Starboard locker and made other changes to the raw water intake and all was solved.

dihrdskir
03-01-2013, 04:35 PM

When you say you had the impeller replaced was it because the original was shredded? If yes, pull all the hoses and have a look at the elbows and make sure the hoses are clear. Impeller vanes can get stuck and stop the flow of water.

petermegan
03-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Sounds like you have done another impellor! Geez, you are trusting of a mate. If I had a new boat where it went, so would I. Are you sure there is no funny business with starting it whilst impellor is dry and giving it a rev? Maybe gunned it off the trailer to launch? I wonder whether the dealer checked his thermostat installation. New thermostat could have stuck closed or I don't know whether it can go in upside down. If so it may have destroyed your impellor if there was nowhere for the water to go. Stick it on a hose and make sure you have water out your exhausts after you check your impellor again.

mybobtail
03-01-2013, 09:41 PM
yes the first impeller was threaded and the dealer replaced I was watching while the mechanic replaced it.he stuck his finger up hoses to clear and also took one off to make sure.
I will check the impeller today.
as to trusting my mate he is more anal than me when it comes to cleaning and looking after the boat he does have his own. I like to trust my mates a bit otherwise you end up doing it all yourself .

Barefooter92
03-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Sounds like weeds in the transcooler to me. Had this issue a few years back and did all the same things you mentioned. Take your hoses off the transmission cooler and back flush it with a garden sprayer. Hope that works.

kyfooter
03-02-2013, 09:07 AM
Just curious: Have you tried hooking a fake-a-lake to it and running it out of water? Can you see solid flow of water coming out the exhausts? Makes no sense that an impeller would need replacing after 4 hours, unless it's running dry. Or, could there be a burr in the impeller area that is shreading the impellers?

mybobtail
03-03-2013, 05:43 AM
ok have found the problem .i have done another impeller. i will be taking it back to dealer on tues.
my concerns are
1. how common is it for a boat of say 65 hours to do 2 impellers.after the first impeller boat is always started in water.
2. when I removed the impeller there are pieces missing so I am concerned they have gone in the hose.
3. could there be another problem that is causing me to go through 2 impellers.
4. when I flush the boat and connect a hose to the flusher water gushes out everywhere when I start the boat water does run through but there is still water comming out of the flusher connection.
I have checked all the fittings and changed them but still have the same problem.
I am asking incase this could be a problem somewhere else that might cause the impeller problem.
I want to go to the dealer with as much ammunition as I can get
ok thanks for all input so far

mikeg205
03-03-2013, 10:18 AM
forget the fake a lake and use one of these...or something similar... you'll be able to see the water flow...

there was a video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHR9bbPbwmM

but it seems to have been removed...

here's a thread with some other info on the bucket... my bucket cost about 8 bucks.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-03-2013, 11:59 AM
The volume of water these boats can consume is amazing. I switched from a 5 gallon pail to a Rubermaid tub. No more problems of consuming more water than the hose can supply.

JimN
03-03-2013, 12:11 PM
The volume of water these boats can consume is amazing. I switched from a 5 gallon pail to a Rubermaid tub. No more problems of consuming more water than the hose can supply.

And that's why I don't recommend using a Fake-A-Lake. It's OK for a smaller engine, but for a V*, it's not a good thing to do.

At the second dealership, I used a big Rubbermaid watering trough from Fleet Farm that I added a rubber guard to (it was from a conveyor belt) to stop the water from shooting over the tub and being wasted. The water came from the tub and was recirculated, so I could run at higher RPM for longer times which, for doing service, was important. I got tired of using a 5 gallon container and heving to lower the RPM or kill the engine because the water was gone.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-03-2013, 12:24 PM
And that's why I don't recommend using a Fake-A-Lake. It's OK for a smaller engine, but for a V*, it's not a good thing to do.

At the second dealership, I used a big Rubbermaid watering trough from Fleet Farm that I added a rubber guard to (it was from a conveyor belt) to stop the water from shooting over the tub and being wasted. The water came from the tub and was recirculated, so I could run at higher RPM for longer times which, for doing service, was important. I got tired of using a 5 gallon container and heving to lower the RPM or kill the engine because the water was gone.

http://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/ani/ani_tiphat.gif

mikeg205
03-03-2013, 12:55 PM

dang - u had to one up me... lol... I am going to use a trough now... ;)

JimN
03-03-2013, 03:13 PM

You don't need a trough- I used one because it was needed for winterizing 10-20 boats per day in fall. At home, you can use a 20 gallon garbage container or for that matter, if you watch for a sale, you could buy a resin plastic stationary sink for a mud/laundry room and put a fitting on the drain for connecting to the boat and a hose fitting for the faucet. When you winterize (assuming you'll do this), you can run it on the water to get it to temperature and before switching to anti-freeze, you could fill a 5 gallon bucket with it- shut the water off as you dump the bucket in and when the sink is empty, shut the engine off.

The tub is a really cool way to do this, though- you just don't have to worry about running out. For winterizing, we emptied the tub of water and filled it with anti-freeze, running it on that to get it to temperature and there was no way it had any water in the engine. We used -50 for this.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-03-2013, 03:23 PM

Actually, I was holding back the latest system. Just have to be sure not to swim when the pool is full of RV antifreeze.:rolleyes:

Table Rocker
03-03-2013, 03:28 PM
I've got one of those "cube" coolers. It is a good size for driveway running.

mikeg205
03-03-2013, 07:54 PM
Actually, I was holding back the latest system. Just have to be sure not to swim when the pool is full of RV antifreeze.:rolleyes:

uncle... ;)

JimN
03-03-2013, 08:13 PM

You have a pool in Minnesota? How long is the season, about 15 minutes?

kyfooter
03-03-2013, 08:47 PM
I've never had an issue with water flow using fake-a-lake, but to each their own.

If you're going through impellers that quick, it sure seems like its overheating from lack of water flow, or there is a rough spot inside the impeller housing that is chewing the impeller.

Regardless, with 65 hours on it I sure would be taking it back too. Good luck.

mybobtail
03-03-2013, 09:41 PM
ok have found the problem .i have done another impeller. i will be taking it back to dealer on tues.
my concerns are
1. how common is it for a boat of say 65 hours to do 2 impellers.after the first impeller boat is always started in water.
2. when I removed the impeller there are pieces missing so I am concerned they have gone in the hose.
4. when I flush the boat and connect a hose to the flusher water gushes out everywhere when I start the boat water does run through but there is still water comming out of the flusher connection.
I have checked all the fittings and changed them but still have the same problem.
I am asking incase this could be a problem somewhere else that might cause the impeller problem.

I REPOSTED THIS COMMENT AS THE REPLIES SEEMED TO GO AWAY FROM WHAT I WAS ASKING

mybobtail
03-03-2013, 09:42 PM
I've never had an issue with water flow using fake-a-lake, but to each their own.

If you're going through impellers that quick, it sure seems like its overheating from lack of water flow, or there is a rough spot inside the impeller housing that is chewing the impeller.

Regardless, with 65 hours on it I sure would be taking it back too. Good luck.

THANKS KY

Table Rocker
03-03-2013, 10:28 PM
my concerns are

I REPOSTED THIS COMMENT AS THE REPLIES SEEMED TO GO AWAY FROM WHAT I WAS ASKING
1) I would say it is very rare for a new impeller that is wet to fail.
2) They went somewhere, so they had to go in the hose. They are downstream somewhere.
3) A bad gasket or seal on your raw water pump allowing it to suck air instead of water. Other sources of air: You mention the flusher. A strainer is another potential source.
4) You might be onto something. I don't have a flusher, but you shouldn't have a situation where "water gushes out everywhere". If the pump is able to suck air at some of these leak locations, it won't be able to pull the water it needs to.

Your raw water pump is pulling a suction to get water into the system. If it has a source of air it will not develop the suction it needs to operate. It would be like you trying to drink out of a straw with a hole in the side letting air in.

Barefooter92
03-03-2013, 10:38 PM
I said it earlier and now again. Pull the hoses from the trasmission cooler and look inside. The transcooler is a honeycomb shaped heat exchanger and will block water flow to the impeller if impaceted with forigen material such as weeds.

When you hook up your garden hose it will spill out but once you start your engine it should suck about 90% in. Yours is not. I had all these same problems at one time. Now I just back flush the transcooler with a water cannon once a month or so.

Table Rocker
03-03-2013, 10:50 PM
I said it earlier and now again. Pull the hoses from the trasmission cooler and look inside. The transcooler is a honeycomb shaped heat exchanger and will block water flow to the impeller if impaceted with forigen material such as weeds.

When you hook up your garden hose it will spill out but once you start your engine it should suck about 90% in. Yours is not. I had all these same problems at one time. Now I just back flush the transcooler with a water cannon once a month or so.
This should certainly be one of the first things to check.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-03-2013, 11:30 PM
You have a pool in Minnesota? How long is the season, about 15 minutes?

Hockey rink the rest of the year.:rolleyes:

mybobtail
03-04-2013, 02:17 AM
hey footer
where exactly do i find the cooler .just in case i go look dont know what it is then have to come back and ask again . as when i find it will check that
thanks

dihrdskir
03-04-2013, 02:34 AM
[QUOTE=mybobtail;912653]hey footer
where exactly do i find the cooler

My MV8 has the cooler on the port side, it is ahead of the raw water impeller but after the strainer. Follow the water intake hose to the back of the engine where it turns 180 degrees the first thing in the line will be the trans cooler. It is easily identified by the hydraulic lines which run between it and the transmission. Highly unlikely that an impeller should fail in such a short time. AS much as you love the sound, never start them out of water and running them in shallow water often, particularly if it is muddy, shreds impeller vanes.

Barefooter92
03-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Yes, what dihrdksir said! ^^^

I am thinking you have weeds or package material since this is a new boat.

At idle the boat will stay cool but while under way it will not get enough water and cause your impeller to burn up and cause all your other problems. Simple hose clamps and you will be able to expose both sides of the transcooler.

petermegan
03-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Agree with all the comments but also like to add that your dealer needs to address this problem. If indeed there is a problem that is not operator error then he needs to lake test it and sort this out for you. Something fishy going on.

mybobtail
03-05-2013, 10:27 AM
took boat back to dealer today.and he was good about it saying that there is a problem .seeing I have gone through 2 impellers. he saying like guys here have said maybe there is something sharp in pump so he will check that and changed.also going to check transmission cooler and all hoses.i will let you know how it goes.
so thanks for all your comments etc.as I must admit when I went there today I went with a bit of confidence knowing things that you guys had posted .
so thanks for that.

Barefooter92
03-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Your welcome. Just paying it forward from my free advise a few years ago

mikeg205
03-05-2013, 01:13 PM
wealth of knowledge here... hanging here is a great investment... spend some time with MC friends save money... not a bad return... :)

thatsmrmastercraft
03-05-2013, 04:56 PM
This forum saved me a lot of headache and chin-scratching time when I first got my '77. Too many things that are different from outboards and I/O's.

mybobtail
03-10-2013, 12:40 PM
ok I pick the boat up saturday was told they found a sharp edge in pump .so they filed down and run boat on hose, and it didnt over heat. so we take it on the lake we do about 30 minutes of skiing and then on comes the red light temp sitting around 210. I was watching the gauge the whole time I was driving and it goes from 170 to 210 then back . I not sure if this normal as none of my other boats have had such fluctuations in the temp.

JimN
03-10-2013, 01:24 PM
ok I pick the boat up saturday was told they found a sharp edge in pump .so they filed down and run boat on hose, and it didnt over heat. so we take it on the lake we do about 30 minutes of skiing and then on comes the red light temp sitting around 210. I was watching the gauge the whole time I was driving and it goes from 170 to 210 then back . I not sure if this normal as none of my other boats have had such fluctuations in the temp.

WHen they work on boats, do they run them on the water, or on the trailer? On the trailer is useless when performance and cooling system problems exist.

Take it back or, better yet, have them pick it up so they can fix it.

This boat is new and they didn't replace the freaking raw water pump? That's BS! It also lost impeller vanes and there's no guarantee that the pieces have been removed.

mikeg205
03-10-2013, 02:11 PM
WHen they work on boats, do they run them on the water, or on the trailer? On the trailer is useless when performance and cooling system problems exist.

Take it back or, better yet, have them pick it up so they can fix it.

This boat is new and they didn't replace the freaking raw water pump? That's BS! It also lost impeller vanes and there's no guarantee that the pieces have been removed.

+^^ - motor under load and higher RPM's on water not the same as on water source in shop... I hate to read these stories - these boats are so expensive - new owners should be treated with care - these boats ain't freakin' Tahoe's... or Rat's dad's ocean goin' Bayliner...:mad:

mybobtail
03-22-2013, 11:07 AM
ok the problem seems to have been solved. thisis what i was told. behind the thermostat there is a plastic or rubber piece that diverts the water. mine was broken so when it got hot or with the vibration it would move and partially stop the water flow.hence why my temp was going from 170 to 210.went out today its was about 85 degrees and the temp sat on about 140 all day. so hopefully it is fixed. i have put in a pic of my flush hose as you can see it spits out everywhere. i have tried numerous fittings and hoses but still get the same result .water does flow throw when i am flushing but someone has to stand at the back to make sure it doesnt come off

as to the flush hose this is a separate issue but i thought why i had the pics i would show as i did mention it somewhere in this post.

drschemel
03-22-2013, 11:48 AM
ok the problem seems to have been solved. thisis what i was told. behind the thermostat there is a plastic or rubber piece that diverts the water. mine was broken so when it got hot or with the vibration it would move and partially stop the water flow.hence why my temp was going from 170 to 210.went out today its was about 85 degrees and the temp sat on about 140 all day. so hopefully it is fixed. i have put in a pic of my flush hose as you can see it spits out everywhere. i have tried numerous fittings and hoses but still get the same result .water does flow throw when i am flushing but someone has to stand at the back to make sure it doesnt come off

as to the flush hose this is a separate issue but i thought why i had the pics i would show as i did mention it somewhere in this post.

I suspect that the fitting is not long enough to seat the rubber seal on the hose. Have you tried putting 2 rubber seals on the hose end when you screw it on the boat? The coarse hose threads are not designed to seal hence the need for a rubber seal. Another option might be to get a brass quick conect hose fitting and saw it off so there are just 3 or 4 threads beyond the rubber seal and use it when you flush.
If not, then you just have a bad fitting on your boat and then there's not much you could do short of replacing it.

LittleFuss
03-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Pass your finger in the impeller housing for burs. You probably have already done this. I went through a couple on my old '97 before finding a really bad burr in it.

MikeyOrange88
03-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Certainly not familiar with the new motors, but I sure hope they aren't designed with 'plastic or rubber pieces behind the thermostat'. Doesn't sound very long term to me. Reminds me of when my brother was having cooling issues on his Evinrude OB saltwater. I asked him when the last time he had changed the impellor. His answer, he had never changed it. The motor was almost 15 years old and I can personally attest to visiting several sandbars.

petermegan
03-23-2013, 08:12 AM
In regard to your hose flushing, you have got an O'ring on that fitting? Just be careful there is not a difference between US vs OZ fittings. I have a John Deere mower that has a one way valve in the deck flush system. Different fitting and you need the right hose fitting for it to work. Take off the hose and give me a close up photo of the fitting and I may be able to help?? Have fun.

mybobtail
03-24-2013, 09:02 AM
hi peter
i have uploaded 2 pics of the flush plug i took them a bit late so if there a bit dark and you cant tell let me know and i take some more tomorow.

petermegan
03-24-2013, 06:10 PM
It doesn't look like the standard fitting to me, have you actually spoken to your Mastercraft Dealer and asked what the go is with it? I think you need a conversion fitting or at least the right fitting on your hose end. It is a bit hard to make out in the photo. Bit far away and can't zoom up because of photo quality. Talk to your dealer. Have fun

mybobtail
03-25-2013, 08:00 AM
ok peter what about these pics i took a couple more

petermegan
03-25-2013, 05:40 PM
Ok, The hose fitting you have in the top, is that yours or supplied with the boat? Any hardware store will have those in brass or plastic. I would assume the water is leaking from the fitting not the thread where it screws in to your boat. US use NPT not BSPT threads but they are normally close enough, use a little thread tape maybe. Just grap a new fitting and new hose end connector and you should be good to go. Have fun.

Table Rocker
03-25-2013, 06:25 PM
The US hoses are actually GHT which is a little different. Just enough to cause problems.

Per Wikipedia:
The thread standard for garden hoses in the US and its territories is known as GHT or "garden hose thread" which has an outer diameter of 1 1/16 inches, 1.0625 inches (27.0 mm) and a pitch of 11.5 TPI. Outside the US, the more common BSP standard is used, which is 3/4" and 14 TPI. The GHT and BSP standards are not compatible.

mybobtail
03-26-2013, 08:15 AM
ok peter the brass fitting is mine i also have a plastic one but it does the same thing . i will try the thread tape.
as i will be in the usa in august i might go into a hardware store and just buy oneas well
ok thanks

petermegan
03-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Man Tablerocker is all over the thread stuff :) You should be able to tell if it is coming out around the thread or not. If not have you tried different hose connections. Apart from a differing thread it doesn't appear as if there is anything on your boat to go wrong?? Just have to sort out a fitting that doesn't leak. Have fun.