PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Fender Removal

Grant777
03-01-2013, 05:41 AM
While I was out on the water someone reversed into my trailer. See the pics below. I want to remove the fender to repair the damage but all the bolts are seized and to access the heads I need to remove the rubber step pads. Can anyone advise me on the best way to do this and where to find replacements? 90516

TxsRiverRat
03-01-2013, 11:34 AM
My guess is, you’ll need a heat gun top get the pads off, and they’ll have to be replaced, not re-used. Finding a replacement fender provided MC still makes ‘em will probably be costly (when I meesed up my axle, they wanted $900 for the painted replacement). If you’re handy with glass or bondo, you can repair what’s there. Since it will have to be repainted, you might as well take it off and send it to a body shop.

My fender restores were not cheap, but it was a heck of a lot better than wet sanding them for 5 months. And they look outstanding

jgraham37128
03-01-2013, 12:17 PM
While I was out on the water someone reversed into my trailer. See the pics below. I want to remove the fender to repair the damage but all the bolts are seized and to access the heads I need to remove the rubber step pads. Can anyone advise me on the best way to do this and where to find replacements? 90516

Cutting torch and send them to the body shop those aren't bad at all and can be repaired cheaper than replacing them.

JerryW
03-01-2013, 12:42 PM
The pads can be removed, a heat gun or hair dryer to soften the pads and the glue, and a thin putty knife to scrape or lift the pad up should get them off. If they come off in one piece, they can be reused, just glued back down with contact cement. I did the same thing. Once you get the pads off you can get to the heads of the machine screws, and then hopefully get the nuts off the underside. If they are too rusted, try a cut off wheel or blade in a grinder, Dremel tool, etc., to cut the nut and screw off from underneath, or drill the head off from the top.

Grant777
04-01-2013, 12:40 AM
Thanks guys. It's the project of the week. I'll let you know how I get on.