PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been to Mark Twain Lake

u bet shes wet
02-28-2013, 05:42 PM
Trying to plan a family reunion and looking for a place half way. We are all boaters so had planned to find a lake in the middle. It looks like that would be Mark Twain so was wondering if anyone has been there.

mikeg205
02-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Looks like a cool place to go...

have any pic's?

cmarty123
03-01-2013, 09:13 AM
We've been there once a few years ago. A beautiful lake with nice deep channels. Not too crowded. You can find a quiet spot to ski depending on the wind direction. The only negative comment I have was the public ramps were nice as far as putting the boat in the water, but there weren't any docks to walk out to after you launched the boat. There are a couple marinas on the lake that looked nice. You might have better luck there. The only reason we haven't been back is we moved to Chicagoland...

mikeg205
03-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Cool - where will you boating up here... a number of here boat on the illinois near big basin, channahon, morris and I go all the way to Henry Il...

u bet shes wet
03-01-2013, 09:53 AM
Right now we are looking at staying at Mark Twian Landing. They have a water park there also for the little kids. The last two years we have boated at Smithville lake which is a nice lake, but looking for a new lake to try out. Half of the group will be coming from Wichita, Ks and the other half of the family will be coming from Muscatine, Ia. Mark Twain is a little bit further for us from Wichita, but it is always fun to try out a new lake. The lake looks nice, but I did notice the lack of boat docks. Are their any other good lakes in that general vicinity that we should look at? Thanks again

lake
03-01-2013, 03:04 PM
I grew up on that lake back in the 80s. Plenty of good places to ski in the coves. My only caution would be to watch your depth gauge close as it can get shallow very quickly. Plenty of trees and stumps also since this is a Corp lake.

ttu
03-01-2013, 03:18 PM
i don't know anything about the lake but from some pictures i looked at the water appears to be muddy!

have you thought about table rock?

u bet shes wet
03-01-2013, 06:13 PM
I tried to get them to table rock lake, but the Iowa crew thought it was a bit far for them to, so that lead to Mark Twain. If I had my choice it would be Table Rock or Beaver.