PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problems on 2006 X-Star Trailer

magnum
02-26-2013, 12:21 AM
My Trailer has no brakes on it now and was wondering where to start first, I have checked the fluid in the brake control up front and it does not look very clean so I think it might be contaminated with some water . I assume I need to take the brake control apart and check the cylinder and clean everything up and flush the lines out. Any tips you can give me will be great if any of you have had this problem

Skyskiguy
02-26-2013, 12:39 AM
Cut off the Reliable brand actuator and install a UFP.

rgardjr1
02-26-2013, 12:50 AM
Cut off the Reliable brand actuator and install a UFP.

I went through this last year with my 2006 trailer and that's pretty much the only option since there are no Reliable actuators/parts available. I bought a UFP actuator and sleeve and went to town with the cutting torch, grinder and welder.

sand2snow22
02-26-2013, 01:03 AM
I want this one! Anyone know if it will fit my 2005 MC trailer??

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=476558045725333&set=pb.182898138424660.-2207520000.1361854960&type=3&theater

magnum
02-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys for the input, didn't want to have to go to that extent of cutting old one off but looks like there is no choice

kgrove
02-26-2013, 01:50 PM
There is a good thread on trailer brakes in the Trailers section that I unfortuantley was a part of.

If the problem is in your actuator you may have little choice but to cut the tongue off your trailer and replace it with a UFP capable tongue and UFP actuator since Reliable brand doesn't exist any longer and parts are difficult to impossible to locate. If you did get water in your brake system, it's also possible your calipers have rust inside the mechanisms and are frozen.

In my case of water in the brake system, my calipers were fine, but I had to replace the tongue and actuator. If it matters I can go dig up an invoice, but I recall the total cost of the repair being somewhere around $600-700. I've heard similar costs from others. It's probably only $300 in parts and supplies if you can do the metal work yourself. I've heard it's simple, but my general rule is I never trust my safety to anything I built.

Thrall
02-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Before going that route (didn't know Relaible was gone, better go flush mine and try to preserve it) I'd try flushing and bleeding the brake system first. Takes a couple hrs and big bottle of brake juice only.
Also it may be as simple as the calipers are frozen in the open position. The mounting bolts that the caliper slides on rust and freeze up easily. My 06 trailer was froze up when I bought the boat in 09 and it sat in dry Las Vegas since new and only had been dunked a handful of times.