PDA

View Full Version : Breaking In Engine - MCX (2006)

PendO
09-15-2005, 01:49 PM
So its time to break in the engine ... before I go pick it up this evening and break it in tomorrow.

For those with this engine are you using 15-40 ... as I will take a few quarts with me in case it burns a little oil when breaking in?

Also, I'm sure they will remind me about varying RPM's, but could somone give me the lowdown again on what to do ... feel free to say "JUST FOLLOW THE DAMN MANUAL" ... or "PUT some 303" on the seats ... more or less asking if there is anything in addition to the manual that you all would reccomend;)

Thanks in advance, it was too dirty last night to post a good pic, so when they get it shined up I will put a few up,

Kell
09-15-2005, 02:11 PM
And don't forget to post pictures of the 06! :D I didn't realize that you were upgrading.

Leroy
09-15-2005, 02:28 PM
;) Don't think you will find this in the manual, but I would recommend it.

Bottle of champagne, the wife and a good baby sitter!

east tx skier
09-15-2005, 02:35 PM
The break-in procedure for the 93 (in 2003) was to let it warm up to 160 and drive it like I stole it after that.

/got nuthin. But as of last week, that sucker is paid for ... finally (sorry, just excited. It's been a few years comin').

vogelm1
09-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Congrats! I was in the same situation a few months ago with my '05 ProStar - great feeling ain't it? (I mean having a new boat and being anxious to take it out for the first time). The owners manual vs. Indmar manual I printed from their website vs. my dealer all said something different. Took my dealers advice since they only sell inboards and are the State's largest dealer. During the break-in they said not to stay at any particular speed for more than about 3 minutes. 1st hour...plane up quickly and vary speed but don't go over 2000 rpm. 2nd hour...plane up quickly and vary speed but don't go over 3000 rpm. Next 5 hours do the same but don't go over 4000 rpm - during this 5 hours they recommended a "light" slalom or wakeboard pull, but no barefooting just yet. After 8 hours, they said run the heck out of it. Between 10 and 20 hours they said CHANGE THE OIL and FILTER. Don't need to worry about transmission until 50 hours. I followed this and now have 56 hours on my MCX...runs awesome. A friend of mine disregarded all of this and ran his like he owned it for years - all with no ill effects....but hey, you're dropping some serious cash so why not be safe for the first few hours anyway, right? Have fun and enjoy!

vogelm1
09-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Oh, forgot about the oil part of your question...mine didn't use a drop of oil during break-in. You're one step ahead by thinking about bringing a quart along, never thought about that, was too excited to "just go". Use 15W-40 but be sure it meets the service requirements...there are some symbols such as S/J CI-4, etc on the bottle that apparently mean its a more heavy duty oil with additives that prevent dilution should fuel enter the oil, etc, etc. Pennzoil Marine 15W-40 should be in there from the factory - I found some at Wal-Mart and the local Ace Hardware. My dealer uses Shell Rotella 15W-40 for all their oil changes on Indmar's.

Ric
09-15-2005, 06:15 PM
my 05 mcx didnt use a drop of oil during break in either ( I was watching it closely)
my break-in was nearly same as vogel's
plane up quickly
you'd think easing the motor on the holeshot is good but plowing the boat adds a ton of resistance and stress on the drivetrain that you're trying to avoid during breakin.
we went to 10 hrs of break-in prior to skiing, but used roughly the same rpm limits and variations as vogel spelled out.
Changed the oil at 20hrs (I think you read my story about that :eek: )

I second leroy's suggestion regarding champagne, your lady, and a babysitter for home.

André
09-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the toe Ric...but who's taking the pic ?
Delay function ?

PendO
09-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Congrats! I was in the same situation a few months ago with my '05 ProStar - great feeling ain't it? (I mean having a new boat and being anxious to take it out for the first time). The owners manual vs. Indmar manual I printed from their website vs. my dealer all said something different. Took my dealers advice since they only sell inboards and are the State's largest dealer. During the break-in they said not to stay at any particular speed for more than about 3 minutes. 1st hour...plane up quickly and vary speed but don't go over 2000 rpm. 2nd hour...plane up quickly and vary speed but don't go over 3000 rpm. Next 5 hours do the same but don't go over 4000 rpm - during this 5 hours they recommended a "light" slalom or wakeboard pull, but no barefooting just yet. After 8 hours, they said run the heck out of it. Between 10 and 20 hours they said CHANGE THE OIL and FILTER. Don't need to worry about transmission until 50 hours. I followed this and now have 56 hours on my MCX...runs awesome. A friend of mine disregarded all of this and ran his like he owned it for years - all with no ill effects....but hey, you're dropping some serious cash so why not be safe for the first few hours anyway, right? Have fun and enjoy!

Thanks fellas ... my son is crawling around right now (10 months) checking it out (I think he is trying to do a chin-up on the windshield - is that okay in this brand of boat;))... my daughter has claimed the front seat in the bow as "Nadia Seat" ...

pilot02
09-15-2005, 10:35 PM
Congratulations!
One day, I'll have the opportunity to "break it in" but need to change careers/direction in life first.....

Good advise has been posted already. I'd go by the book as to the rec on the first oil change because you do not want to remove the "break in" oil too soon. As for the actual break in, I think what's been said is right on the money. If it were a 2 cycle, I'd drive it like it's going to be driven from the start but since engine temps are generally low on a boat vs other vehicles, which equates to longer time for engine clearances to get where they will be normally, I'd follow the above recs. After the first 10hrs, i think I'd start to run it more like you intend to run it just for short periods of time.

6ballsisall
09-16-2005, 12:27 AM
;) Don't think you will find this in the manual, but I would recommend it.

Bottle of champagne, the wife and a good baby sitter!

So Leroy what do you do with the wife if you have the babysitter? Leave the wife home?? :confused: ;)

PendO
09-16-2005, 12:53 AM
new dash .........

PendO
09-16-2005, 12:55 AM
mini tower ... this is the day it arrived so the racks are not on, but at 6'3.5" you get an idea of height .

PendO
09-16-2005, 12:56 AM
I like how the cable for the lights is actually long enough now, not sure if that was new for 05 or 06?

PendO
09-16-2005, 12:57 AM
stereo in glove box

PendO
09-16-2005, 12:57 AM
I think the audio cable are for the MP3 jack, haven't gotten that far yet

PendO
09-16-2005, 12:59 AM
OJ 13.75 X 15 ... once its broken in I will try the 17 pitch for the helluvait

PendO
09-16-2005, 01:01 AM
Maybe tomorrow I can post a pic with the racks up, these are all from yesterday, by the time we got home from the shop it was dark ...

Leroy
09-16-2005, 01:06 AM
You'll be figuring this out shortly! ;)

So Leroy what do you do with the wife if you have the babysitter? Leave the wife home?? :confused: ;)

Leroy
09-16-2005, 01:08 AM
Looks really nice POS! Incredible the improvements that I see.

André
09-16-2005, 07:16 AM
Really nice boat!
Congrats!

X-45
09-16-2005, 07:37 AM
Congrats :toast: Take the extra oil mine went through 3 quarts in the first 20 hours. :twocents:

:dance: :dance:

PointTaken
09-16-2005, 07:55 AM
..Take the extra oil mine went through 3 quarts in the first 20 hours...
That seems like a lot of oil in the first twenty. Is is still using oil like that?

PointTaken
09-16-2005, 07:57 AM
Great looking boat.

X-45
09-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Oil level holding steady after first 20 hours :steering:

Ric
09-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Maybe tomorrow I can post a pic with the racks up, these are all from yesterday, by the time we got home from the shop it was dark ...
VERY nice! :toast:
I wanna hear how you like the cmd4 stereo, what those drivers side jacks are for, how you like the new drivers remote and how you like the multi line perfect pass!

Oh wait, your summer is over
sorry
:cry:

ski36short
09-16-2005, 07:53 PM
Nice boat!

Ric
09-17-2005, 09:09 AM
I think the audio cable are for the MP3 jack, haven't gotten that far yet
yer killin me pendo
my ordered 05 finally gets to me mid July and now I already have to look at you guy's 06's! I really like those instruments and I think the switch panel is growing on me. What are the switches down by the cupholder? Mine has no switches there. Are those ballast or something?

Ric
09-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the toe Ric...but who's taking the pic ?
Delay function ?
There is a string tied to my toe which triggers the camera shutter..

ok, yes, it's a delay function. :D We did the maiden voyage just the two of us. No cameraman

it was nice

PendO
09-17-2005, 09:22 AM
yer killin me pendo
my ordered 05 finally gets to me mid July and now I already have to look at you guy's 06's! I really like those instruments and I think the switch panel is growing on me. What are the switches down by the cupholder? Mine has no switches there. Are those ballast or something?

Ric .. the rocker switches are for the ballast and the bottom right is for the light on the mini-tower... and the A/V cables must be the MP 3 hookup, but what I don't know is there is a port called the Clarion Aux Input with a cover about the same diameter as a cigarette lighter, when you snap the cover off you have a jack of some sort to plug in an audio componet ... I'll crop the pic so you see what I am talking about ...

PendO
09-17-2005, 09:23 AM
this is what you see above the rocker switches and to the left

Ric
09-17-2005, 09:27 AM
Ric .. the rocker switches are for the ballast and the bottom right is for the light on the mini-tower... and the A/V cables must be the MP 3 hookup, but what I don't know is there is a port called the Clarion Aux Input with a cover about the same diameter as a cigarette lighter, when you snap the cover off you have a jack of some sort to plug in an audio componet ... I'll crop the pic so you see what I am talking about ...
ok, so that plug in with the cover on it is for what they call CeNet?
I guess you can get that adapter sizzler mentioned for an Ipod and hook it there or use those rca inputs instead. Mine does not have those niceties on the driver's side for stereo.
Can you determine if the cmd4 stereo has a seperate set of rca outputs for subwoofer, or do you have to set the rear outputs for subwoofer output like I do on the xmd3?

PendO
09-17-2005, 09:46 AM
Ric - We were able to get to the water and put 2+ hours on, in addition to the .6 that it arrived with ... I'm guesing that some were from its original test by M/C, and the others just went on when they were prepping it and had the key in ... the thing handles like a dream, although I can only compare to the 98 PS 190 I last drove several years ago... so far I like the DBW, it really holds the rpm's well, when we put it in off the trailer I did get a little water in underneath ... does yours stay completely dry, or do you get a bit in each time?

I never flipped the switches on the rear ballast or the MTS ballast ... I do like the coolers that are built in .. one in the walk thru and one in the floor in front of the pylon ... also, I like that the trailer guides have changed since the 04' trailer as the two bolts go thru holes so that the guides do not rotate, the X-star's trailer has set screws so sometimes the guides like to rotate ... also, I definitely like the longer connection on the trailer for the lights, plust the connector is built in so I dont have to search for the pigtail every time ... I get a bit of squeaking at higher speeds in the front windshield ... the windshield that opens has that weatherstripping that just needs to break in and compress a bit.

Funny thing is reading the owners manual they list the wrong gear reduction and the wrong prop as standard for the MCX and LQ9 ... also, when you read the part about hour 1, hours 2-5, and hours 6-10 they could have used a better copy editor so that the titles to the sections actually make sense... then again, I bought it for the boat, not for the reading material.

Once it is broken in I am interested to see if the what RPM's I can get to when I put on the 13.75 X 17 and run at WOT ... we did not calibrate with GPS yesterday but at 4K we seemed to be getting 37+ mph.

Also, did not yet use the PP, so I will let you know about that and the other features ... I saw in a different thread about a different rudder from 05 to 06, the steering on this was great ... with hands off the wheel at lower rpm's it tracked straight ... at higher rpms I did not let go so I do not know if there is any tension.

Unfortunately summer is over up here ... during our 15 miles down and 15 miles back we did not see a single boat and most of the docks were boatless;( We did use the heater! But with the cool air I'm sure it was a nice temp for the MCX ... possibly tomorrow I will get to put a few more hours on it with my wife and kids ... I'm a little leary about being alone on the water in case something was to go wrong so I will likely just do loops around the island ... salesman told me they had a new X-30 have a fuel pump fail right off the bat , but they took it out the other day and it ran fine with the new pump ... I'll keep my fingers crossed that the break in continues to go smooth and I will get some better guage pictures/boat pictures later.

Casey

PendO
09-17-2005, 09:49 AM
ok, so that plug in with the cover on it is for what they call CeNet?
I guess you can get that adapter sizzler mentioned for an Ipod and hook it there or use those rca inputs instead. Mine does not have those niceties on the driver's side for stereo.
Can you determine if the cmd4 stereo has a seperate set of rca outputs for subwoofer, or do you have to set the rear outputs for subwoofer output like I do on the xmd3?

I'll look and let you know ... we didn't bring any tunes so that we could hear the engine (what a sweet sound) ... I know that the X-Star's stereo did not have a separate set for the subwoofer ... you are talking about how a stereo reciever (like one for your house) has a jack that is just for the sub?

Ric
09-17-2005, 09:56 AM
I'll look and let you know ... we didn't bring any tunes so that we could hear the engine (what a sweet sound) ... I know that the X-Star's stereo did not have a separate set for the subwoofer ... you are talking about how a stereo reciever (like one for your house) has a jack that is just for the sub?
yes, in the past I always saw 3 sets of rca outputs from a good receiver like yours. but my xmd3 has 3 sets of rca's on the back(like the ones for your house) but one set is actually an input. I think that's what you see hanging down on the driver's side is an extension cord for the input set. Im just wondering if the cmd4 has that extra set of rca's just for subwoofer output. my xmd3 is a good deck but very confusing. It thinks for you a little too much.

PendO
09-17-2005, 10:05 AM
As for getting an 06 now ... since summer for us is really just June, July, August ... my 06 will be ready for next summer and I can spread out the first year depreciation ... have you had good luck with the DBW throttle setup? ... Oh, also I did check the torque on the trailer lugs before we left;)

yes, in the past I always saw 3 sets of rca outputs from a good receiver like yours. but my xmd3 has 3 sets of rca's on the back(like the ones for your house) but one set is actually an input. I think that's what you see hanging down on the driver's side is an extension cord for the input set. Im just wondering if the cmd4 has that extra set of rca's just for subwoofer output. my xmd3 is a good deck but very confusing. It thinks for you a little too much.

Kell
09-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Beautiful MC POS, did you get it at Alpine Haus?

PendO
09-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Beautiful MC POS, did you get it at Alpine Haus?

Yes ... we worked with Bret out at Alpine Haus.

PendO
09-18-2005, 01:35 AM
Ric - I looked at that post of sizzlers for the Ipod (Aux Input) and I think this is what I need http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_ID=178147#

Description

Mini-Stereo Audio Cable, 6 ft. F8V203-06GLD-AP
Connect your iPod™, iPod docking cradle, and other portable audio players to computer sound cards, portable speakers, or car stereos with an auxiliary input.

For what it is worth there are a lot of different MP3 Player / Ipod acc. at this belkin website http://www.belkin.com/iPod/matrix/index.asp?dock=y

PendO
09-18-2005, 01:35 AM
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_ID=193778

erkoehler
09-18-2005, 02:09 AM
You can find those at your local retailer, no need to order through catalog.....

PendO
09-18-2005, 03:27 AM
You can find those at your local retailer, no need to order through catalog.....

Thanks Erk - If I can't get them at Target I guess I will try the local retailer;) Best Buy/Circuit City/CompUSA I guess:)

Ric
09-18-2005, 01:12 PM
I read alot about fuel pumps here but for some reason I never worried. I haven't gotten the fuel tank close to empty yet so I don't know if that's the issue or not.
hmmm I hadn't heard about a rudder change for prostars
I will go look at mine and compare it to your pics

Ric - We were able to get to the water and put 2+ hours on, in addition to the .6 that it arrived with ... I'm guesing that some were from its original test by M/C, and the others just went on when they were prepping it and had the key in ... the thing handles like a dream, although I can only compare to the 98 PS 190 I last drove several years ago... so far I like the DBW, it really holds the rpm's well, when we put it in off the trailer I did get a little water in underneath ... does yours stay completely dry, or do you get a bit in each time?

I never flipped the switches on the rear ballast or the MTS ballast ... I do like the coolers that are built in .. one in the walk thru and one in the floor in front of the pylon ... also, I like that the trailer guides have changed since the 04' trailer as the two bolts go thru holes so that the guides do not rotate, the X-star's trailer has set screws so sometimes the guides like to rotate ... also, I definitely like the longer connection on the trailer for the lights, plust the connector is built in so I dont have to search for the pigtail every time ... I get a bit of squeaking at higher speeds in the front windshield ... the windshield that opens has that weatherstripping that just needs to break in and compress a bit.

Funny thing is reading the owners manual they list the wrong gear reduction and the wrong prop as standard for the MCX and LQ9 ... also, when you read the part about hour 1, hours 2-5, and hours 6-10 they could have used a better copy editor so that the titles to the sections actually make sense... then again, I bought it for the boat, not for the reading material.

Once it is broken in I am interested to see if the what RPM's I can get to when I put on the 13.75 X 17 and run at WOT ... we did not calibrate with GPS yesterday but at 4K we seemed to be getting 37+ mph.

Also, did not yet use the PP, so I will let you know about that and the other features ... I saw in a different thread about a different rudder from 05 to 06, the steering on this was great ... with hands off the wheel at lower rpm's it tracked straight ... at higher rpms I did not let go so I do not know if there is any tension.

Unfortunately summer is over up here ... during our 15 miles down and 15 miles back we did not see a single boat and most of the docks were boatless;( We did use the heater! But with the cool air I'm sure it was a nice temp for the MCX ... possibly tomorrow I will get to put a few more hours on it with my wife and kids ... I'm a little leary about being alone on the water in case something was to go wrong so I will likely just do loops around the island ... salesman told me they had a new X-30 have a fuel pump fail right off the bat , but they took it out the other day and it ran fine with the new pump ... I'll keep my fingers crossed that the break in continues to go smooth and I will get some better guage pictures/boat pictures later.

Casey

PendO
09-18-2005, 09:39 PM

PendO
09-18-2005, 09:40 PM
There was a course off in the distance for those of you who venture my way somday.

PendO
09-18-2005, 09:40 PM

PendO
09-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Well, we put a few more hours on the boat today (Grandma, the kids, my wife and I) ... After we got 5 hours on it I did bring it up to 4500 rpms, but just didn't feel the need for WOT yet ... we played a CD, but did not use the MP3 jack yet, and I still have not even messed with the PP or ballast ... it seemed to burn less gas today than the first day out. Apparently summer is over up here as we saw 4-5 boats total on the water. I stopped and let an Air Natique use the glass, but after the guy fell a few times we motored by. The engine sounds so sweet ... my wife and mom both drove it ... my mom doesn't care much for driving the X-Star, but she loved getting behind the wheel of the 197:) It was 60 degrees out so the heater came in handy. I'm hoping we can get another 5 hours this week so that we can take a dry suit ski ride next weekend. I did drive it thru a course someone has further up the river... the boat just seemed drawn to it;)

Kell
09-18-2005, 11:13 PM
Good looking boat Pend, I really like the blue. It looks as though it has two biminis one forward and aft on the tower. I have not seen that before.

André
09-19-2005, 07:10 AM
Really nice boat!
I'm sure you can't wait to ski behind it!

Ric
09-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Beautiful !

PendO
09-25-2005, 10:48 PM
So, we fnished the 10 hours today (started skiing it at 7.5hrs) and my arms were almost too tired to get up the last ride ... got up, went about 300 meters, then just let go ... no need to get hurt, and I probably skied more these past two days then I have in the past two years.

That said ... I will need to wire the speakers differently as only the sub works, along with one speaker in the bow and one in the back (one port one starboard) so, this winter I will pull the MTS ballast system out as there is room enough for a mouse to get in and look at the deck/amp (NO ROOM) ...

Also, reset the PP so it is on Digital Pro (same module as WB) ... however, will I need an engineering degree to set that thing up ... all I want it to do is pull me at 36, seems like I have to adjust the number in the top left corner a bunch?

Also, at WOT I get 4750rpms, I am at 2200-2400 ft elevation with the 15 pitch prop, I would like to get 5K, will I have to prop down?

Thanks in advance ... the boat is SO awesome, I can tell my little ones are going to enjoy learning. Also, I really like the DBW, it holds speeds awesome, and the boat is still tracking straight without hands on the wheel at all speeds.

Casey