PDA

View Full Version : Air filter skins

BigBarney
09-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Anybody know where to get one to fit a K&N filter?

I have bought and used these on my 4-wheeler. Kind of like panty hose that slips over the air filter to keep out the big stuff while still allowing air to travel through the skin to the filter.

Not sure about other engines, but my LQ9 has an open air filter and I'd like to add a bit more protection.

gregg
09-15-2005, 01:54 PM

I have bought and used these on my 4-wheeler. Kind of like panty hose that slips over the air filter to keep out the big stuff while still allowing air to travel through the skin to the filter.

Not sure about other engines, but my LQ9 has an open air filter and I'd like to add a bit more protection.

Ya know BB I thought the same thing the first time I looked at the filter on my 310 tbi motor. Then I got to thinking about it, and could not think of a time when the air on my lake was dusty :rolleyes: These filters would never be sufficient for car or truck applications. Don't think it would hurt anything, but probably not necessary.

bigmac
09-15-2005, 02:00 PM

Pre-filters are great for keeping snow out, and for keeping dust out in excessively dusty environments (like a Moto-X track). Otherwise the standard oiling of a K&N filter is all that's necessary. I can't envision a pre-filter being necessary on a boat.

Having said that, the place to go to get a prefilter is K&N. Check their website, give them a call.

In the meantime, get some K&N oil and follow the instructions in the owner's manual - shake it clean and oil it (ONLY with K&N oil) a couple of times per year. Look here. (http://www.knfilters.com/clningacc.htm)

BigBarney
09-15-2005, 04:29 PM
I keep mine clean. No problem there. But I have found some 'dirt dobbers' nests around the filter and would like to keep them from building on the filter.