PDA

View Full Version : BTS windshield option, any feedback or opinions, which one and why ??

texasjet
02-23-2013, 03:33 AM
Been looking at the BTS windshield option and want to see if anyone has gotten that option on their boat and what the likes and dislikes are for it's functionality and looks. We are looking at it for a 2013 X30.

If you aren't familiar attached below are several pictures. The first close up one is on an x 10, but was one of the better pics.

In some ways we prefer the more traditional, sleek lines of the standard windshield. And the additional billet aluminum frame makes for a pricey add on ($870 msrp)

As for the BTS it would seem to be nice for pulling into a boat slip or dock and having a bit more ability as the driver to reach out and hold the dock. We have also found in Texas that often the hottest spot on the boat can be the passenger seat as it doesn't get any airflow behind the traditional windshield and wonder if this BTS might provide a cooler summer option (of course fall and spring would be cooler but we don't have too much of that versus blistering summer days).

So, what is everybody's feedback or opinions, which one and why ??

ProStar200
02-23-2013, 08:22 AM
From what I got at the Show was the BTS windshield is for a Barefoot Boom.

bturner2
02-23-2013, 08:40 AM
My personal opinion on the design is that it looks incomplete. Not a fan, at least not on the larger boats. I think it would make more sense on something like a TT or 190 that's not going to see any open water. I would also worry about resale on a design cue that probably will not stick and will end up hurting resale down the line.

From a functional perspective and being from Michigan that side windshield cuts down on spray getting in the boat and also gives protection from the wind. As you state in Texas that may not be a big deal but I've seen a lot of MasterCrafts being sold across the country. If you plan to sell some day on the open market it may reduce the number of perspective buyers.

On the other hand it's going to be your boat and if you really like it and don't care about resale, go for it.

KahunaCraft
02-23-2013, 08:53 AM
I think you hit some of the key points...colder climates ppl go traditional because of it being warmer. Hotter, go BTS...beyond that docking, interacting with a downed rider and above barefoot boom.

Some other thoughts...

1. Floatillas - holding another boat at a distance.

2. Less glass to clean.

3. Easier to tint.

4. New style.

5. Ease to reach in and toggle the boat key to aux or off while standing on the trailer. Or to reach other items on the dash, perhaps remove the keys from the ignition.

All of the above considered, my situation and use cases demands the traditional windshield. Heat / wind blocking when cruising around in the evening and a short season.

Edit: spray comment +1

Wonder if you could put a small air director, like a clip on mirror, that would increase air flow in that area. Also wonder if there is a tint that would decrease the greenhouse effect the traditional windshield creates.

drschemel
02-23-2013, 09:23 AM
I kinda like it. It has an old school Cris*Craft look to it. IMHO, Mastercraft has been a leader in boat style so more likely you'll see other companies copy it.

MASTIQUE
02-23-2013, 09:33 AM
I like it but it should be a credit option....less glass, less frame...

pap
02-23-2013, 10:16 AM
I really like the looks but worried with cooler temps it would be a problem with wind. Grabbing the dock there would be very handy. Hadn't thought about the barefoot boom however. Maybe I made a mistake ordering standard.

Stefan
02-23-2013, 12:02 PM
BTS:
less wind and spray protection, good to grab and hold other boats/docks, good to talk to skier/boarder

full windshield:
more wind protection, cozy, protected feeling on the driver/observer on those cooler days when you close the door/windshield and put the heater on...

for me the last arguments weight more, although I'd really like being able to grab the dock/other boats at times

@MC: by being able to take out the rear triangles on the regular windshield on those hot days, one windshield could serve both ideas...

FourFourty
02-23-2013, 12:11 PM
If you want an opinion.... I think it looks like $hit. Other than that, i wish it looked better. Nothing sucks more than having to reach over the traditional windshield from the helm.

MC25
02-23-2013, 01:34 PM
If you want an opinion.... I think it looks like $hit. Other than that, i wish it looked better. Nothing sucks more than having to reach over the traditional windshield from the helm.

Im with you on that, MC wasnt first at this. Axis was, and man is that an ugly boat!

kalamalka
02-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Not my taste. In my opinion it seems to cheapen the look. Could be a fad, who knows.

jmw
02-24-2013, 06:11 AM
I have it and on any boat with a center pylon, I would want it, but we barefoot. It does make it slightly easier at the dock and I guess you get more air flow. I also personally like the look.

CruisinGA
02-24-2013, 10:17 AM
I like it and I think it is here to stay.

gotta_ski
02-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Its ugly and it looks like its missing the rest of the windshield.

gunjr
06-07-2013, 12:27 PM
We have the BTS windshield and it makes it very easy to talk to riders while they are in the water. It also helps when pulling up to the dock. Here is a recent pic from Lake Anna, VA.

gunjr
06-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Here is another pic. I don't think that it "cheapens" the look.

texasjet
06-07-2013, 02:03 PM
We also have the BTS windshield and really like it. It really helps talking to riders in the water and very nice backing out of the dock.

A few things it helps with that I didn't expect 1) with the boat on the trailer you can actually reach the glove box and the dash if you need to get something. 2) for all us OCD folks if you like to wash off the boat with a sponge or a rag while out on the water, you can actually reach all of the boat from in the boat vs having to get in the water. 3) a bit easier to attach a bumper or rope to the center cleat.

Short answer is we really like it.

FrankSchwab
06-07-2013, 02:03 PM
First thing I thought when I looked at it is "looks like a convertible". Autos with convertible tops have that same chopped-at-the-windshield frame look with the top and windows down. Think a Corvette or an old Thunderbird.

Not the same flowing lines as a hardtop, but just as classic and clean. I like it.
(Nope, not mine)

texasjet
06-07-2013, 02:07 PM
A few pics of our BTS windshield.

Also if you live in the south where it is darned hot in the summer. The driver and passenger can get more airflow. I haven't been hanging my head out like a dog or anything, but you could. 😜😜😜😜

88 PS190
06-07-2013, 02:19 PM
My biggest single concern is the person who reaches out while backing off a lift and gets their arm severed between the window V and the bar. A slant would let you slide up.

TxsRiverRat
06-07-2013, 02:25 PM
My biggest single concern is the person who reaches out while backing off a lift and gets their arm severed between the window V and the bar. A slant would let you slide up.

Natural selection strikes again

scott023
06-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Natural selection strikes again

That's what I was thinking too. :D

captain planet
06-07-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm always willing to add fact/opinion to MC options. The bottom line on this is it only makes sense on either a 214 or 214V where you may want to have a boom or ski short line (fact). The glass comes back so far on those boats the boom is too close to the windshield and the rope will hit the windshield at very short slalom lengths (fact). So a 214 that is slalom approved has to have the BTS for short line (fact). So there you have it; it works on those two boats only and for good reason. Putting the BTS on those station-wagon v-drives is completely meaningless (opinion.....and fact). All it does is add another ski-boat option on a boat that has the engine mounted in the wrong spot.

Wow, I just re-read that and I must be angry today because I still haven't been on the water yet.

FrankSchwab
06-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Don't hold back; tell us what you really think. 8p

captain planet
06-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Don't hold back; tell us what you really think. 8p

OK....v-drives suck......but that is for another thread. 8p

scott023
06-07-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm always willing to add fact/opinion to MC options. The bottom line on this is it only makes sense on either a 214 or 214V where you may want to have a boom or ski short line (fact). The glass comes back so far on those boats the boom is too close to the windshield and the rope will hit the windshield at very short slalom lengths (fact). So a 214 that is slalom approved has to have the BTS for short line (fact). So there you have it; it works on those two boats only and for good reason. Putting the BTS on those station-wagon v-drives is completely meaningless (opinion.....and fact). All it does is add another ski-boat option on a boat that has the engine mounted in the wrong spot.

Wow, I just re-read that and I must be angry today because I still haven't been on the water yet.

No worries, we're used to it. 8p

captain planet
06-07-2013, 02:52 PM
No worries, we're used to it. 8p

I'm going to have to be used to it until the 15th. :(

scott023
06-07-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm going to have to be used to it until the 15th. :(

Only eight days. We'll get through it together. :D

captain planet
06-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Only eight days. We'll get through it together. :D

Aww, thanks for the support guys. Anybody know how to put someone in a coma for 8 days? ;).....and NO Jack Daniels or Crown Royal is not the answer I desire. :rolleyes:

gt23
08-21-2016, 03:19 PM
i don't like it;

ap77
08-21-2016, 07:32 PM
I really like it! I prefer the look and I really like being able to interact with fallen riders (when they are beside the boat) without having to stand and stick my head between the windshield and tower. The only negative is the additional spray during stormy weather. That doesn't happen too often for us so the positives out weigh the negatives.

XC500mod
08-21-2016, 08:45 PM
We put our x10 with the BTS windshield on a lift with a canopy. the canopy is set low so i don't have to put a cover on. with the ZFT4 tower folded down, the only place to enter the boat while on the lift is between the BTS and the tower. never considered point until i had it on the lift.

Bert
08-21-2016, 10:22 PM

Station wagon V drives:) that is a good description

kscrib
08-21-2016, 11:32 PM
I have had both the traditional and the BTS windshields. My current boat has the BTS. I like the BTS because, as others have mentioned, it is easier to talk to someone in the water next to the boat. I use that ease of conversation a lot when teaching. I pull up next to the student and have a conversation with them. I find that very useful when I have a boat full of "instructors" who don't know how to do the activity they are pretending to be experts on and are trying to provide often improper suggestions. It keeps those folks out of the conversation because I can isolate the student.

I have had the BTS for a little over a year. I have not noticed any issues with spray coming in from the side. If there is an airflow difference, I believe it to negligible, but I do 99% of my driving with the bolster raised and my head above the windshield. My wife sits in the seat nearest the glove box and has not noticed any difference in airflow/temperature. She is much more sensitive to temperature and says she can't tell a difference.

Docking is easier because I am not reaching over the windshield to grab the dock. And there is a cleat right outside the end of the BTS which is very easy to reach when attaching a bumper or rope.

As for style - it is a personal preference. Some will like it, some will not. I think it looks more modern and personally, I like that.

MattsCraft
08-22-2016, 07:57 AM
Old Thread - Guess I missed it until now.

BTS "Fact" - It's Awesome!

2RLAKE
08-22-2016, 08:27 AM
Agree with Matt ... Love it and wouldn't go back

Miss Rita
08-22-2016, 10:28 AM
I live in a northern climate, and while I agree that the traditional design offers more weather protection, it's a non-issue for me and the boating I do.

Looking at both designs I'm neutral on which one looks better. Virtually every convertible car has the shorter truncated design, so it's not breaking new ground.

I'm occasionally annoyed by the wraparound windshield on my 205; it gets in the way.

I vote for the BTS design.

FoggyNogginz
10-30-2017, 10:28 AM
Hoping for a thread revival.

I've been doing a lot of shopping over the last two weeks and it seems to me that the BTS windshield is everywhere. Literally every boat at my dealer has this windshield on it, and the vast majority of boats that I see from the last few years that are online for sale have that windshield as well. Personally I'm still not really sold on it, but perhaps I'm just old school and I'm not giving something new to try. It just seems to me like you would get more spray in the boat when you go over a roller at low speeds, and it seems like this design would make the heater basically useless in cooler weather.

I'm hoping that a flurry of people on this forum can tell me that I'm wrong.

Thoughts?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

moosehead
10-30-2017, 10:42 AM
^FN, your summary is correct, largely preference.

BTS advantage is tremendous when talking to in the water athletes and on docking, also looks sharp. Note the side cleat is at or near the windshield.

The wrap is better for wind and water protection, and some prefer its aesthetics as it tucks back into the tower base and angle nicely.

As for containing blown hot air from a heater, neither help much. Best bet is heated seats, and putting any heater vents under your sweatshirt or towel/blanket.

MattsCraft
10-30-2017, 11:22 AM
5 years & running with the BTS - No change in opinion - Love it

Colder than full wrap on cool days - Not really, but we don't go out if it's below 70 ;)

Spray over rollers - I have an x25, so not an issue - Our last trip this year in October, we had a really windy day - When surfing into the wind we were getting a ton of spray, probably the only time when Me (the driver) experienced any spray - however we had so much spray, even the rear lounge was getting a ton of spray - point being in a heavy wind, even a full wrap windshield, not sure it would have made much difference.

From me perspective it makes the boat a ton more fun to drive, dock, talk to downed riders or even raft up/chat to another boat - Its comfortable having your arm out the window - lol:D

uplandbird
10-30-2017, 12:06 PM
I have the BTS Upgrade on my X25. Im getting set to order a new MC and will not be going with the BTS.

Here is why:

1. You get into chop or wind and chop and Anybody behind the driver gets it. In my experience.
2. I do think its a trade off of being able to speak to downed riders and an unusual look.
3. I prefer the lines of the full windshield so due that that and increased spray protection Im not going with BTS on my next boat.

FoggyNogginz
10-30-2017, 12:11 PM
^FN, your summary is correct, largely preference.

BTS advantage is tremendous when talking to in the water athletes and on docking, also looks sharp. Note the side cleat is at or near the windshield.

The wrap is better for wind and water protection, and some prefer its aesthetics as it tucks back into the tower base and angle nicely.

As for containing blown hot air from a heater, neither help much. Best bet is heated seats, and putting any heater vents under your sweatshirt or towel/blanket.

Thanks much for the info. I agree on the heater, and I rarely ran mine on the last boat, but the little skinny people seem to like it....lol. Appreciate the feedback,

FoggyNogginz
10-30-2017, 12:17 PM
5 years & running with the BTS - No change in opinion - Love it

Colder than full wrap on cool days - Not really, but we don't go out if it's below 70 ;)

Spray over rollers - I have an x25, so not an issue - Our last trip this year in October, we had a really windy day - When surfing into the wind we were getting a ton of spray, probably the only time when Me (the driver) experienced any spray - however we had so much spray, even the rear lounge was getting a ton of spray - point being in a heavy wind, even a full wrap windshield, not sure it would have made much difference.

From me perspective it makes the boat a ton more fun to drive, dock, talk to downed riders or even raft up/chat to another boat - Its comfortable having your arm out the window - lol:D

Thanks Matt. I am trying to warm up to the idea of the BTS (no pun intended), and I am also wondering which one seems to resale better. Honestly, if one seems to have a much better resale than the other, then I don't want to make a mistake here. I know that the BTS is an upgrade option, but so is the huge touchscreen...and I don't really want that either to be honest.

FoggyNogginz
10-30-2017, 12:18 PM
I have the BTS Upgrade on my X25. Im getting set to order a new MC and will not be going with the BTS.

Here is why:

1. You get into chop or wind and chop and Anybody behind the driver gets it. In my experience.
2. I do think its a trade off of being able to speak to downed riders and an unusual look.
3. I prefer the lines of the full windshield so due that that and increased spray protection Im not going with BTS on my next boat.

Anyone behind the driver get the spray? So is the BTS also shorter in height? Thanks again for the great information. Very helpful.

MC25
10-30-2017, 12:41 PM
I don’t think it’s shorter in height in my experience. I prefer the normal windshield myself, and I’d probably assume it’s 50/50 in preference to others as well so you can’t go wrong.

Now the touch screen, id say 90% of people will want that in resale.

FoggyNogginz
10-30-2017, 12:50 PM
I donít think itís shorter in height in my experience. I prefer the normal windshield myself, and Iíd probably assume itís 50/50 in preference to others as well so you canít go wrong.

Now the touch screen, id say 90% of people will want that in resale.

I hear ya on the touch screen, but I've replaced two of them now and the smaller screen is more than sufficient in my mind. Especially when you have the switches to use as an alternative. Being an electrical engineer and a long time geek, I also think that the electronics in these toys become seriously dated long before the machines themselves, and this could be a deterrent in years to come. Case in point, the electronics in my 2008 truck look silly at this point, but it still tows like a dream.

JohnE
10-30-2017, 01:13 PM
Hoping for a thread revival.

I've been doing a lot of shopping over the last two weeks and it seems to me that the BTS windshield is everywhere. Literally every boat at my dealer has this windshield on it, and the vast majority of boats that I see from the last few years that are online for sale have that windshield as well. Personally I'm still not really sold on it, but perhaps I'm just old school and I'm not giving something new to try. It just seems to me like you would get more spray in the boat when you go over a roller at low speeds, and it seems like this design would make the heater basically useless in cooler weather.

I'm hoping that a flurry of people on this forum can tell me that I'm wrong.

Thoughts?

I'd worry about seriously limiting my buyer pool upon resale without the BTS. I think it is that much more popular, which is why I'd order it if I were buying new. Personally I could take it or leave it.

I've suggested that they come up with a convertible windshield. There has to be a way to add removable glass to have a combination wrap/ BTS windshield.

uplandbird
10-30-2017, 03:14 PM
I'd worry about seriously limiting my buyer pool upon resale without the BTS. I think it is that much more popular, which is why I'd order it if I were buying new. Personally I could take it or leave it.

I've suggested that they come up with a convertible windshield. There has to be a way to add removable glass to have a combination wrap/ BTS windshield.

Would you not buy a used MC if it didn't have BTS? I'm not sure that would be my make or break decision variable. Just my thinking of course.

MattsCraft
10-30-2017, 06:58 PM
Here is a quick photoshop version Traditional on on side - BTS on the other. Maybe this will help you decide.

Gotta say- First time I saw the BTS in pics - Said WTH is that, what were they thinking - In person & on the water I love it. Looking at it in this Pic, traditional lines look pretty darn good too - Iduno ???

Maybe a new design option - Ha Ha Haaaaa:popcorn::headbang::purplaugh

MC25
10-30-2017, 07:04 PM
Would you not buy a used MC if it didn't have BTS? I'm not sure that would be my make or break decision variable. Just my thinking of course.

Agreed. Didnít think it was a huge option for most.

JohnE
10-30-2017, 07:23 PM

I wouldn't care either way. I question re-sale-ability. Same with dual screen option. I could care less about it, but if I buy one, am I limiting my resale market?

MC25
10-30-2017, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't care either way. I question re-sale-ability. Same with dual screen option. I could care less about it, but if I buy one, am I limiting my resale market?

Could honestly go either way though.

X25John
10-30-2017, 08:09 PM
I have had both. Currently last two boats had BTS. For me the functionality is hard to beat and would not go back to traditional windshield. Didn't like the looks of BTS at first but it grew on me. Nice on hot days to rest your arm on the gunnel, kinda like hanging your arm out the window in your car. My advice is to go with the one you think looks best. There is a buyer for both.

Mastercraft13
10-30-2017, 08:15 PM
Agreed it's about 50/50 split on preference. I got the full windshield on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryancassidy
10-30-2017, 08:28 PM
It wouldn't make or break the deal for me, but I love the first year with our BTS. Not a single complaint about it. If i were building new, it wouild definitely be on the list.

BrianS
10-30-2017, 10:03 PM
It will make or break my next boat, it has to have the BTS. I'm always standing to talk to down skiers and when reaching for the dock. I like the look of both but for function, BTS all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XC500mod
10-30-2017, 10:11 PM
I had the bts on my x10 in the upper midwest on a big lake. the wind and spray were never a problem. i am with john e, i wouldn't buy a boat without one. with the tower folded down, it's a nice place to enter the boat. it's easier to reach in the boat and grab stuff when on the trailer. this is in addition to all the on water benefits listed earlier.

jgraham37128
10-30-2017, 10:22 PM
I love my BTS but I clocked my nose the first time backing out of the slip... just FYI.....

uplandbird
10-31-2017, 12:25 PM
1K extra for less glass. LOL

Morety
10-31-2017, 01:02 PM
I've always ordered traditional and prefer the looks to it. It may not be as functional as a BTS, but it's never been an issue for me in all my years of boating. Like the looks how it ties into the tower and think that it helps "lengthen" the looks of the newer boats that are getting taller.

MC25
10-31-2017, 01:38 PM
I prefer it for the same reasons as Morety.

XC500mod
10-31-2017, 01:42 PM
1K extra for less glass. LOL

says the guy who is ordering a $140,000 hunk of fiberglass and metal. :D

swc5150
10-31-2017, 01:48 PM
The guy in that pic above demonstrates why I don't care for wrap around windshields. He's having to half stand up and hang on the frame to do whatever he's doing at that moment. MC ditching the wrap around on the Prostar was just one more reason we switched from Nautique.

MC25
10-31-2017, 01:51 PM
That’s me, and I’m using it as an arm rest... lol

kscrib
10-31-2017, 02:29 PM
I would guess the spray impact will vary with the style of boat. We have the BTS on our X23 and I have never had an issue with the spray. I would guess on a boat where the top rail sits lower to the water, that could be different (just a theory).

As the boat driver, I like the BTS to talk to the person in the water. I find that very useful when I have a boat full of people who think they can coach (who really shouldn't). It gives me a chance for a short conversation before the non-coaches start coaching.

I also like it when talking or tying up to other boats. I just find it very convenient.

kscrib
10-31-2017, 02:33 PM
Bottom line - I think it is a preference thing. Kind of like blondes, red heads, brunettes... but you can always change that with a bottle of color, so not as a permanent choice... :-P

swc5150
10-31-2017, 02:36 PM
Thatís me, and Iím using it as an arm rest... lol

Must be the camera angle, as it looks like you're bracing yourself on it. Great looking boat BTW!

MC25
10-31-2017, 02:46 PM
Must be the camera angle, as it looks like you're bracing yourself on it. Great looking boat BTW!

Thanks! Just using it to look cool for pics. :D lol

Mastercraftdave
10-31-2017, 03:11 PM
The BTS looks better on the shorter boats, but the longer boat make the BTS look like an afterthought as there is a huge gap between the windshield and tower.

Also, the traditional windshield it nice when its cold out it will help block the wind. Its really all preference.

uplandbird
10-31-2017, 04:19 PM
says the guy who is ordering a $140,000 hunk of fiberglass and metal. :D

I know....I know.......

Reedus
10-31-2017, 05:30 PM
I prefer it for the same reasons as Morety.

Looks like a sausage fest😜

MC25
10-31-2017, 05:58 PM
Looks like a sausage fest😜

My girlfriend is in there, so no other women needed lol

Datdude
11-01-2017, 05:24 PM
I was not a fan of the look when it came out. I had a chance to play with a few boats that had it so I ordered it on my 2016 X10. Talking to people in the water and docking are two of the big advantages. I have never noticed a lack of protection.

Lakelife
11-01-2017, 06:08 PM
I have BTS on my X23, prefer BTS over regular windshield for same reasons as above. Will definitely onder on next boat

FoggyNogginz
11-01-2017, 06:15 PM
For those of your who like the BTS, do you ever get caught in mid-day storms? Here in TN, it happens about six to eight times per season. Just wondering about that specifically. Seems like you would have to get more wet, and the dash (where all.of those electronics are these days) would also take on more water. This is my primary concern.

Mastercraftdave
11-01-2017, 06:22 PM
For those of your who like the BTS, do you ever get caught in mid-day storms? Here in TN, it happens about six to eight times per season. Just wondering about that specifically. Seems like you would have to get more wet, and the dash (where all.of those electronics are these days) would also take on more water. This is my primary concern.

That was mine as well and you would also seem to get wet when you get a faster side wind. I know that my side windows protect me and the people behind me from water splashing on the sides.

MC25
11-01-2017, 06:56 PM
That was mine as well and you would also seem to get wet when you get a faster side wind. I know that my side windows protect me and the people behind me from water splashing on the sides.

Also with how many water spots I clean off my side windows, I definitely donít see how you donít get more wet with it lol

swc5150
11-02-2017, 10:45 AM
You guys must boat in some big, windy lakes. We took our Prostar out on a big lake for such a small boat this summer, and no one got wet due to our windshield. The bow is different story however!

FoggyNogginz
11-02-2017, 12:30 PM
Also with how many water spots I clean off my side windows, I definitely don’t see how you don’t get more wet with it lolGood point on the water spots.... It does seem like this is always an issue, so those side windows must be doing something.

Mastar
11-02-2017, 03:29 PM
My old 66 evinrude (The Gray Ghost) had a fold down windshield that I loved. 90% it was down unless it got cold... good times good times