PDA

View Full Version : BTS windshield option, any feedback or opinions, which one and why ??

texasjet
02-23-2013, 03:33 AM
Been looking at the BTS windshield option and want to see if anyone has gotten that option on their boat and what the likes and dislikes are for it's functionality and looks. We are looking at it for a 2013 X30.

If you aren't familiar attached below are several pictures. The first close up one is on an x 10, but was one of the better pics.

In some ways we prefer the more traditional, sleek lines of the standard windshield. And the additional billet aluminum frame makes for a pricey add on ($870 msrp)

As for the BTS it would seem to be nice for pulling into a boat slip or dock and having a bit more ability as the driver to reach out and hold the dock. We have also found in Texas that often the hottest spot on the boat can be the passenger seat as it doesn't get any airflow behind the traditional windshield and wonder if this BTS might provide a cooler summer option (of course fall and spring would be cooler but we don't have too much of that versus blistering summer days).

So, what is everybody's feedback or opinions, which one and why ??

ProStar200
02-23-2013, 08:22 AM
From what I got at the Show was the BTS windshield is for a Barefoot Boom.

bturner2
02-23-2013, 08:40 AM
My personal opinion on the design is that it looks incomplete. Not a fan, at least not on the larger boats. I think it would make more sense on something like a TT or 190 that's not going to see any open water. I would also worry about resale on a design cue that probably will not stick and will end up hurting resale down the line.

From a functional perspective and being from Michigan that side windshield cuts down on spray getting in the boat and also gives protection from the wind. As you state in Texas that may not be a big deal but I've seen a lot of MasterCrafts being sold across the country. If you plan to sell some day on the open market it may reduce the number of perspective buyers.

On the other hand it's going to be your boat and if you really like it and don't care about resale, go for it.

KahunaCraft
02-23-2013, 08:53 AM
I think you hit some of the key points...colder climates ppl go traditional because of it being warmer. Hotter, go BTS...beyond that docking, interacting with a downed rider and above barefoot boom.

Some other thoughts...

1. Floatillas - holding another boat at a distance.

2. Less glass to clean.

3. Easier to tint.

4. New style.

5. Ease to reach in and toggle the boat key to aux or off while standing on the trailer. Or to reach other items on the dash, perhaps remove the keys from the ignition.

All of the above considered, my situation and use cases demands the traditional windshield. Heat / wind blocking when cruising around in the evening and a short season.

Edit: spray comment +1

Wonder if you could put a small air director, like a clip on mirror, that would increase air flow in that area. Also wonder if there is a tint that would decrease the greenhouse effect the traditional windshield creates.

drschemel
02-23-2013, 09:23 AM
I kinda like it. It has an old school Cris*Craft look to it. IMHO, Mastercraft has been a leader in boat style so more likely you'll see other companies copy it.

MASTIQUE
02-23-2013, 09:33 AM
I like it but it should be a credit option....less glass, less frame...

pap
02-23-2013, 10:16 AM
I really like the looks but worried with cooler temps it would be a problem with wind. Grabbing the dock there would be very handy. Hadn't thought about the barefoot boom however. Maybe I made a mistake ordering standard.

Stefan
02-23-2013, 12:02 PM
BTS:
less wind and spray protection, good to grab and hold other boats/docks, good to talk to skier/boarder

full windshield:
more wind protection, cozy, protected feeling on the driver/observer on those cooler days when you close the door/windshield and put the heater on...

for me the last arguments weight more, although I'd really like being able to grab the dock/other boats at times

@MC: by being able to take out the rear triangles on the regular windshield on those hot days, one windshield could serve both ideas...

FourFourty
02-23-2013, 12:11 PM
If you want an opinion.... I think it looks like $hit. Other than that, i wish it looked better. Nothing sucks more than having to reach over the traditional windshield from the helm.

Aric'sX15
02-23-2013, 01:34 PM
If you want an opinion.... I think it looks like $hit. Other than that, i wish it looked better. Nothing sucks more than having to reach over the traditional windshield from the helm.

Im with you on that, MC wasnt first at this. Axis was, and man is that an ugly boat!

kalamalka
02-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Not my taste. In my opinion it seems to cheapen the look. Could be a fad, who knows.

jmw
02-24-2013, 06:11 AM
I have it and on any boat with a center pylon, I would want it, but we barefoot. It does make it slightly easier at the dock and I guess you get more air flow. I also personally like the look.

CruisinGA
02-24-2013, 10:17 AM
I like it and I think it is here to stay.

gotta_ski
02-25-2013, 03:12 PM
Its ugly and it looks like its missing the rest of the windshield.

gunjr
06-07-2013, 12:27 PM
We have the BTS windshield and it makes it very easy to talk to riders while they are in the water. It also helps when pulling up to the dock. Here is a recent pic from Lake Anna, VA.

gunjr
06-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Here is another pic. I don't think that it "cheapens" the look.

texasjet
06-07-2013, 02:03 PM
We also have the BTS windshield and really like it. It really helps talking to riders in the water and very nice backing out of the dock.

A few things it helps with that I didn't expect 1) with the boat on the trailer you can actually reach the glove box and the dash if you need to get something. 2) for all us OCD folks if you like to wash off the boat with a sponge or a rag while out on the water, you can actually reach all of the boat from in the boat vs having to get in the water. 3) a bit easier to attach a bumper or rope to the center cleat.

Short answer is we really like it.

FrankSchwab
06-07-2013, 02:03 PM
First thing I thought when I looked at it is "looks like a convertible". Autos with convertible tops have that same chopped-at-the-windshield frame look with the top and windows down. Think a Corvette or an old Thunderbird.

Not the same flowing lines as a hardtop, but just as classic and clean. I like it.
(Nope, not mine)

texasjet
06-07-2013, 02:07 PM
A few pics of our BTS windshield.

Also if you live in the south where it is darned hot in the summer. The driver and passenger can get more airflow. I haven't been hanging my head out like a dog or anything, but you could. 😜😜😜😜

88 PS190
06-07-2013, 02:19 PM
My biggest single concern is the person who reaches out while backing off a lift and gets their arm severed between the window V and the bar. A slant would let you slide up.

TxsRiverRat
06-07-2013, 02:25 PM
My biggest single concern is the person who reaches out while backing off a lift and gets their arm severed between the window V and the bar. A slant would let you slide up.

Natural selection strikes again

scott023
06-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Natural selection strikes again

That's what I was thinking too. :D

captain planet
06-07-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm always willing to add fact/opinion to MC options. The bottom line on this is it only makes sense on either a 214 or 214V where you may want to have a boom or ski short line (fact). The glass comes back so far on those boats the boom is too close to the windshield and the rope will hit the windshield at very short slalom lengths (fact). So a 214 that is slalom approved has to have the BTS for short line (fact). So there you have it; it works on those two boats only and for good reason. Putting the BTS on those station-wagon v-drives is completely meaningless (opinion.....and fact). All it does is add another ski-boat option on a boat that has the engine mounted in the wrong spot.

Wow, I just re-read that and I must be angry today because I still haven't been on the water yet.

FrankSchwab
06-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Don't hold back; tell us what you really think. 8p

captain planet
06-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Don't hold back; tell us what you really think. 8p

OK....v-drives suck......but that is for another thread. 8p

scott023
06-07-2013, 02:51 PM
I'm always willing to add fact/opinion to MC options. The bottom line on this is it only makes sense on either a 214 or 214V where you may want to have a boom or ski short line (fact). The glass comes back so far on those boats the boom is too close to the windshield and the rope will hit the windshield at very short slalom lengths (fact). So a 214 that is slalom approved has to have the BTS for short line (fact). So there you have it; it works on those two boats only and for good reason. Putting the BTS on those station-wagon v-drives is completely meaningless (opinion.....and fact). All it does is add another ski-boat option on a boat that has the engine mounted in the wrong spot.

Wow, I just re-read that and I must be angry today because I still haven't been on the water yet.

No worries, we're used to it. 8p

captain planet
06-07-2013, 02:52 PM
No worries, we're used to it. 8p

I'm going to have to be used to it until the 15th. :(

scott023
06-07-2013, 02:54 PM
I'm going to have to be used to it until the 15th. :(

Only eight days. We'll get through it together. :D

captain planet
06-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Only eight days. We'll get through it together. :D

Aww, thanks for the support guys. Anybody know how to put someone in a coma for 8 days? ;).....and NO Jack Daniels or Crown Royal is not the answer I desire. :rolleyes: