PDA

View Full Version : 2008 X Star ballast upgrade

XStar08
02-22-2013, 05:16 PM
Ok so I finally ordered all the components to upgrade the internal ballast of my 2008 X Star.

I would like to post some hints as well as pics as I go trough the process of installing the ballast upgrade. Firstly I wanted to say a big thank you to Spencer from WakeMakers.com who helped me with answering a lot of questions (I guess I sent him over at least 10 e-mails and all of them have been answered very fast and with helpfull information).

I started with having in mind that I'm going to add the Fly High Pro Ballast System which you can buy for example with wakemakers. During the process of nailing down what I really want and need as well as optimizing the components I would need (to get the weight down to reduce shipping costs, to enhance the flow of water in the system, and so on) I realized that the above mentioned system is not exactly what I wanted.

I wanted not to use the T hose barb fittings but the wye fittings to optimize the flow of the water. I also realized that buying the custom made rear bags instead of the standard Fly High rear bags I would spend more money and get less possible weight (720lbs versus 750lbs).

Another thing importent for me was to make sure that by filling only the bags and not the rear tanks water overflowing the bags (vent line) will not be allowed to go backwards to the (empty) tanks but is forced to go out of the boat. I therefore decided to not only use the T assembly stop valves but to go with two check valves on each side of the Y which is bringing together the vent lines of the bag/hard tank.

Beside that I mostly went with what you get also by buying the system. Well, one major issue for me was to reduce the weight of the package which has/had to be shipped as much as possible since it would have to be shipped to Europe. I therefore decided to go green and buy the hose with a local store. By doing this I am also able to get some more hose in case I'm running out of it during installation.

So to get started I placed my order with WakeMakers today. I ordered the following components:
- 2x Fly High Pro X Series Fat Sac
- 2x Fly High Pro X MC X-Star Bow Sac
- 6x Hose Barb Wye Fitting
- 6x Inline Check Valve Fitting
- 8x Flow Rite Elbow Quick Release Connector W746
- 8x Flow Rite Straight Quick Release Connector W741
- 6x Fly High Ballast Bag Plug W731
- 3x Fly High Distribution Flow Mainfold
- 8x Flow Rite Quick Release Connect W743
- 30x Hose Clamps (even if I could get them also from a local store but there was no difference in shipping costs)

To be prepared once the stuff arrives I already bought some 1'' hose, I started with 20 meters which is about 65ft. I also started to build a plattform to have the pumps mounted horizontally instead of vertically (inside the transom) as it is stock. The main goal here is to be able to change the impellers comfortabely. Pictures will follow by tomorrow and I will try to keep you updated regarding the upgrade process.

spencerwm
02-22-2013, 05:54 PM
You are very welcome. I am excited to see how it all goes in. Thanks for mentioning Wakemakers (http://www.wakemakers.com/mastercraft) and enjoy your star.

sand2snow22
02-22-2013, 11:04 PM
You are very welcome. I am excited to see how it all goes in. Thanks for mentioning Wakemakers (http://www.wakemakers.com/mastercraft) and enjoy your star.

Spencer, please call Pat so we can pay and get the parts for our X-Star, too. Our buyer sent wire today! You feeling better?

XStar08
02-23-2013, 04:53 PM
So today I had some time to prepare the boat for the install. I removed the rear sundeck as well as all the stuff around the engine to have access to where the pumps should be mounted.

Firstly I planned to mount the pumps above the silent master horizontally. I therefore let build two supports made from aluminum to be mounted at the transom where the pumps are mounted originally. As the transom is not a flat surface and as the mounting points laminated to the transom are not levelled out (it looks as a the guy who laminated was drunk) it would not turn out as I planned. Picture shows the two supports but not the tray where the pumps would be mounted to.

XStar08
02-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Instead of building something above the silent master I decided to build it simpel by just putting a tray under the silent master.

Picture shows a wooden template.

Jerseydave
02-23-2013, 07:29 PM
Just curious, why are you moving your 3 pumps? Or are you adding more pumps?

I currently have (2) 400# sacs in the rear lockers, but thinking about getting the 720# x-star sacs instead. I tried a 750# sac in there but it's kinda long....hits my heater and won't fill up all the way.
I don't use the rear hard tank at all BTW.

XStar08
02-24-2013, 03:22 AM
I'm moving the pumps because they are not accessible as they have been mounted.
I choose to go with the 750 bags because they are cheaper and I don't want to fill them completely so that they are able to adapt to the place they have.

Probably I'll add anothet pump to be used as a p&p system, but not for this season.

CantRepeat
02-24-2013, 07:25 AM
I would suggest that you find a different location that will allow you to mount your pumps with the impellers facing down. Mounting the pumps flat or upside down can lead to water leaking into the electrical motor and greatly reducing it's life. This happens when the little rubber washer/seal between the motor and the impeller housing goes bad. If that washer goes bad and the pumps are mounted with the impellers down you have a better chance of water not getting in the motors.

Likewise, with the motors that low in the bilge area you stand a good chance of them getting wet. This also presents the same issue as a leaky seal.

Either way, good luck with your install and +1 for wakemakers.com.

XStar08
02-24-2013, 08:24 AM
Good point, I'll think about that. However if there is that much of water down there than something is wrong anyway. Wait! what if there is someone not used/skilled enough to handle to low freeboard of the star...:rolleyes:

XStar08
03-01-2013, 03:18 PM
So yesterday I started getting the beast in there...

XStar08
03-01-2013, 03:32 PM
I decided to put the hose which will fill/drain the KGB on the starboard side and to mount the related 3 way valve (KGB/bow bags) behind the drivers seat. That way I later can add another pump and use this 3 way valve to either fill the bow bags or another bag (kind of a P&P set-up) in case it takes too long filling KGB and the bow bags with one pump. We will see. I therefore let the old hose which fills/drains KGB in there. In case I need a 4th pump I would use that hose to fill/drain KGB as it was before the upgrade.

I'm now waiting for my order to be shipped. Spencer told me they are waiting for some more valves to be shipped to them.

Regarding the location of the pumps I decided to put them under the silent master mounted horizontally. If there is a leak the water can go downwards into the bilge, originally one pump is mounted vertically with the impeller facing upwards so I don't think this problem occurs very often. Well, there is a risk of flooding them but I'll care about that when it's time to do so.

Picture shows the new hose attached to the KGB. It comes from the 3 way valve which will be mounted behind the drivers seat, goes under the cockpit and from there to the KGB.

CantRepeat
03-01-2013, 07:40 PM
originally one pump is mounted vertically with the impeller facing upwards so I don't think this problem occurs very often.

You'd be surprised just how often it happens. :(

XStar08
03-02-2013, 05:17 AM
Well, the last 4 seasons (650 hours) nothing happened. We will see, at least now it's better than it was...

CantRepeat
03-02-2013, 10:36 AM
Well, the last 4 seasons (650 hours) nothing happened. We will see, at least now it's better than it was...

Well I hope you get another 4 seasons out of it. I'm sure the pump was not run for 650 hours. :D

My boat had less then a 100 hours on the pump that was mounted upside down went bad. I ended up making amount to turn it over and push it out a bit so the hoses would clear the other pumps.

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/pump1.jpg

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/pump2.jpg

http://www.mikesell.net/images/boat/pump3.jpg

Keep in mind that if you do flip the pump over you'll need to change the two wires on the switch that provide the power to the relays on that pump. If you don't the pump with work in reverse.

XStar08
03-17-2013, 04:28 PM
So, finally stuff arrived and I'll be able to proceed with uprading the system. Can't wait to complete. Will post pics asap.

XStar08
03-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Ok, tonight I installed the Y valves. Found out that the purchased hose will not fit the valves and fittings ordered, both are 1" :-(

One Y valve (KGB/bow bags) is now mounted between the two cup holders on the right side of the drivers seat, the other two (rear tanks/rear bags) where mounted in the left respective right corner of the rear lockers.

The plan is to use one pump to fill drain KGB/bow bags, one pump for the starboard and one for the port bag (I don't plan on using the rear tanks often). That is the reason why I decided to have one Y valve installed near the driver, that way I can easely switch between KGB and bow bags since these two I plan to use on a regular basis.

XStar08
03-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Here is a picture of the front valve installation. Since the hose doen't fit yet, there is no reason for installing it finally...

XStar08
03-25-2013, 05:19 PM
In my 2008 XStar there are two through hull intakes, one with two pumps connected, one with one. The question now is where to connect the pump filling the KGB/bow bags. I assume that the KGB is relatively large. Does anybody know how large it is?

My two bow bags are rated 420 each. The two rear bags are 750 each.

Do you think there is a difference in using one pump per through hull/two pumps per through hull regarding fill time.

The backup plan is (in case it turns out to take too long filling the KGB and the two bow bags with one pump each after each) to have a fourth pump installed. The front Y valve would then serve as kind of p&p outlet with a separate quick connect fitting installed in the cockpit to add another bag for surfing.

XStar08
03-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Here is another picture taken during the installation process...

XStar08
03-25-2013, 05:22 PM
And here is one with the "both sides view"...

XStar08
03-28-2013, 05:24 PM
In my 2008 XStar there are two through hull intakes, one with two pumps connected, one with one. The question now is where to connect the pump filling the KGB/bow bags. I assume that the KGB is relatively large. Does anybody know how large it is?

Do you think there is a difference in using one pump per through hull/two pumps per through hull regarding fill time.

Thx for your help/inputs

Jerseydave
03-28-2013, 05:38 PM

Thx for your help/inputs

KGB is 500# IIRC.
Hmmmm, my '05 X-star only has one hull intake for the ballast system...it's on the port side.
The one on the starboard side is for the engine's cooling system. Maybe they changed things in '08 and added a second ballast intake?
That being said, all 3 of my pumps suck from one hull intake. I find the sacs fill a bit faster if the boat is just above idle moving forward. This allows the pumps to run faster too since the engine rpm is over 1000.

XStar08
03-29-2013, 04:03 AM
Jep, guess they changed the intake system to allmost separate intakes from 2008 to 2010 since there always where problems using only one intake for all pumps.

It would be a bad idea to "use" the intake supposed to cool the engine to fill the bags :-) I agree.

So, if KGB is 500 and that pump also needs to fill the two front bags of each 400, guess it will take a while to get filled/drained. But it will still be better to have the two other pumps filling the two rear bags of each 750...

Thank you, yesterday I ordered the rIght hose so hopefully next week I can complete the installation. I'm really curious about the fill-times, will let you know if it's acceptable.

Greetings

XStar08
04-12-2013, 04:38 PM
So finally the right hose arrived and I had time to start plumbing/connecting the stuff. It's not that easy to get the fittings connected to the hose it took me relatively long to just install the KGB (had to exchange the previously installed green hose) and the bow bags fill/drain hoses.

First pic is under the drivers seat with KGB and Front bag hose installed

XStar08
04-12-2013, 04:39 PM
This is how the stb bow bag will be connected

XStar08
04-12-2013, 04:44 PM
And this is the port bow bag connected. The power cable in the background comes from the tower and goes trough the port front leg. It is to connect the tower cam to the power source...