PDA

View Full Version : Fender Repair

ORSkier
02-20-2013, 05:20 PM
This was my winter project this year. I busted up my fender this past summer which is a long story. The first bit was a result of my calipers locking up. During a road trip from Bakersfield to Portland, I had to remove them from the rotors and zip tie them to the axles with several ties. In Redding, one of the calipers broke loose and busted the top of the fender. Thank god nobody was hurt and it didn't hit the boat. Then, on a trip from Portland to Montana, I blew a tire and busted up the front of the fender. I had just bought this boat and the trailer passed inspection before these trip. Oh well, I have new everything on the brakes and new tires. Now the fender is fixed, here is how I did it.

1). I first cleaned up all the fiberglass with my sander and grinder.
2). Strapped the pieces together with aluminum strapping and rivets.
3). Glassed the underside with four layers of glass
4). Bondo and sanding to fill in the the gaps on the front
5). Primer, Paint, and Clearcoat to match the trailer color.

Rockman
02-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Awesome job!:worthy::worthy::worthy:

Sodar
02-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Nice work! I guess you were pretty fortunate to find all the pieces to get it back together!!

thatsmrmastercraft
02-20-2013, 06:09 PM
Looks great!

SWGA Boater
02-20-2013, 09:47 PM
Really nice job. Ever done and glass work before? Looks great.

ORSkier
02-22-2013, 01:42 AM
I was lucky that after the blowout, the fiberglass piece was still attached, barely. I have never done fiberglass work before, but its amazing what Youtube can teach you. I will say that it was not ideal to do this project in the garage as everything is now coated in a very fine dust. My wife loves me for it!!

trickskier
03-02-2013, 10:32 PM
Great Job!!! :D

DemolitionMan
03-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Looks brand new.

CC2MC
03-03-2013, 07:51 PM
Great job! Did you use anything special for the type of paint?

ORSkier
03-05-2013, 12:50 AM
I used all Sherwin Williams automotive paint products. I went to the local Sherwin Williams automotive paint center and had them match my guide pole. They told me to use the two part epoxy primer and I actually forget what type of clear coat I used, but I know it was a two part product. The people at Sherwin Williams and You Tube videos helped me a lot.