PDA

View Full Version : service at mc dealer or private shop?

kalamalka
02-20-2013, 02:31 AM
im wondering what others are doing. My local dealer prices are getting crazy. Near 700 for a wintering and they just qouted me 450 for a half inch gel coat crack repair from the cleat. That didnt include the cost of the gel or catalist. Are any of you guys using private marine shops?

JohnE
02-20-2013, 08:45 AM
I'd winterize myself. Gel repair is likely being done by an outside contractor, so I bet you will find it cheaper elsewhere.

Other tasks I would want my dealer to perform.

CantRepeat
02-20-2013, 08:46 AM
I think a lot of people on here have gone to doing their own maintenance. I have used a non dealer owned boat repair shop for gel work in the past without issue.

Meeker
02-20-2013, 10:15 AM
$700 for winterizing!? What does that include...removing engine and keeping in their heated shop? Wow.

madcityskier
02-20-2013, 11:31 AM
For glass work check with a body shops that does a lot of Vettes. Not cheap, but usually less than the marina, and often the ones doing the work anyway.
My experience, your results may vary.

kskonn
02-20-2013, 11:36 AM
I would say it would depen on the dealer in your area to be honest. I pay 350 if I have my boat winterized, I live in Texas so I usually don't, I just drain the block. if the boat happens to be at their place when it might freeze they drain the block for no charge.

bjen
02-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Have only used the local dealer for parts/accesories, but have been told that they are so busy in the service dept here, if the boat was not bought from their dealership, they are not really interested in taking it in for service.
So I would vote DIY or use on of the other guys.

Ski-me
02-20-2013, 12:11 PM
If it was a brand new boat or only a few years old, I might be more enclined to take to the dealer for repairs/winterization. In fact, I've been winterizing my 94' at the Bu' dealer for several years but just this year, decided to do it myself. My dealer was pushing $400 with all the fluid changes so I decided to try it all myself. Turned out great (so far.....we'll see next spring if I missed something :o)

Just depends on your comfort level.

However, your $700 is Canadian dollars too (I assume) so that needs to be considered too when we (down in the US) compare your winterization cost. Also, what's in that price?

sand2snow22
02-20-2013, 12:13 PM
However, your $700 is Canadian dollars too (I assume) so that needs to be considered too when we (down in the US) compare your winterization cost. Also, what's in that price?

What's your point. Currently they're both about equal....

bturner2
02-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Is that before or after your tax system gets a hold of you? I know in Ontario any service includes a size-able tax (GST, VAT, PST, LMNOP and whatever else they seem to come up with) to go along with it. I almost fell over a couple years back when I was charged an additional 6% recycling tax (on top of the 13% sales tax) on a DVD player I bought there for the family's cottage and that was on top of the already inflated price (at least by US price standards) of the DVD player itself. And while I'm on a rant whatever happened to the great prices for beer in Canada? Last summer I almost fell over when I went to buy a case of beer at the beer store and they wanted $42 before the 13% sales tax. Beer at the local bar had also climbed to $4.50 a pint and that was for Coors lite. Come to think of it at those rates $700 is looking pretty cheap for winterizing.

Comparing US and Canadian labor rates is going to be difficult. Regardless one sure way to get around them is to learn to do the work yourself. Winterizing isn't that difficult for most average guys/gals with moderate mechanical skills. There's also a ton of help here should you need it. I know I would be doing a lot less boating if I couldn't do this work myself. You'll also be very popular with your other boating friends that will no doubt want you to share your new found skill set with them.

I would concur with others on the gel work. Unless this is a big shop they're most likely subbing this work out and charging you to take the boat to another shop along with an uplift to make it worth their time. I know my local dealer does this. A lot of times you can call around or just ask someone at the dealer casually who they use for their repairs and they'll tell you. A good way to go about it would be to plainly ask "do you do your own gel coat work here or do you send it out?" If they say they send it out ask who they send it to.

Ski-me
02-20-2013, 12:48 PM

Point is:

What's included in that Winterization cost? Engine oil change, transmission oil change, spark plug replacement, spark plug wire replacement, Cap and rotor replacement, impellar replacement, Interior Detail, Exterior Detail, Shrink wrap, Trailer wheel bearing replacement/repacking, De-winterization in the spring, etc.

That makes a difference on the price being reasonable or not.

bjen
02-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Is that before or after your tax system gets a hold of you? I know in Ontario any service includes a size-able tax (GST, VAT, PST, LMNOP and whatever else they seem to come up with) to go along with it. I almost fell over a couple years back when I was charged an additional 6% recycling tax (on top of the 13% sales tax) on a DVD player I bought there for the family's cottage and that was on top of the already inflated price (at least by US price standards) of the DVD player itself. And while I'm on a rant whatever happened to the great prices for beer in Canada? Last summer I almost fell over when I went to buy a case of beer at the beer store and they wanted $42 before the 13% sales tax. Beer at the local bar had also climbed to $4.50 a pint and that was for Coors lite. Come to think of it at those rates $700 is looking pretty cheap for winterizing.

Comparing US and Canadian labor rates is going to be difficult. Regardless one sure way to get around them is to learn to do the work yourself. Winterizing isn't that difficult for most average guys/gals with moderate mechanical skills. There's also a ton of help here should you need it. I know I would be doing a lot less boating if I couldn't do this work myself. You'll also be very popular with your other boating friends that will no doubt want you to share your new found skill set with them.

I would concur with others on the gel work. Unless this is a big shop they're most likely subbing this work out and charging you to take the boat to another shop along with an uplift to make it worth their time. I know my local dealer does this. A lot of times you can call around or just ask someone at the dealer casually who they use for their repairs and they'll tell you. A good way to go about it would be to plainly ask "do you do your own gel coat work here or do you send it out?" If they say they send it out ask who they send it to.

The US vs CDN price difference is a hot topic in Canada always along with our higher taxes .
Biggest diff (besides booze) is cars. We just bought a Subaru in Utah for my parents at xmas and brought it home, after all is said and done, we saved over $5000 compared to the local dealer. As much as I want to support the local economy there is a point and 5k buys a lot of boat gas.
Seems like new boat prices are closer, used boats here are sometimes even higher depending on how the economy is doing where the boat is being sold.
Service for anything is for sure priced better in the US from what I have seen.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/economy/senate-report-cites-barriers-at-border-for-price-gaps/article8296607/

milkmania
02-20-2013, 01:21 PM
I got an idea..... Start a boat winterization company..... Use off-duty Topless Hooter's waitresses.
Charge "$1500.00-$2000.00 a pop"

money in the bank babay!!!!!!
I mean, heck if someone is paying $700.00 for a dirty grease monkey in overalls to winterize.... my plan would work!

pram
02-20-2013, 01:37 PM
If it was a brand new boat or only a few years old, I might be more enclined to take to the dealer for repairs/winterization. In fact, I've been winterizing my 94' at the Bu' dealer for several years but just this year, decided to do it myself. My dealer was pushing $400 with all the fluid changes so I decided to try it all myself. Turned out great (so far.....we'll see next spring if I missed something :o)

Just depends on your comfort level.

You do know that our dollars are almost par with one another (1.00 vs 1.02) and have been for a few years now right??

On another note, good on yah for doing your winterization :D

pram
02-20-2013, 01:38 PM

yah beat me too it sand :mad:

Ski-me
02-20-2013, 01:54 PM
You do know that our dollars are almost par with one another (1.00 vs 1.02) and have been for a few years now right??

On another note, good on yah for doing your winterization :D

I didn't know they were that close to one another now.:o

But with the additional Canadian taxes, are they still "equal"??

bturner2
02-20-2013, 02:01 PM
Apparently only if they're buying stuff at CostCo or Sam's Club here in the states. The parking lots at both these stores by the border have tons of Canadian plates on them on weekends and sometimes even during the week. I've been told by my Canadian friends that even after paying the duty it's still significantly cheaper to shop here if you are stocking up than to buy locally in Canada.

shepherd
02-20-2013, 02:27 PM
Well, it's colder in Canada, so obviously winterizing is going to be more expensive up there.

;)

bjames
02-20-2013, 02:29 PM
Kalamalka,

I started a thread a while ago complaining about the overpriced service rates. I paid about $700 for winterizing from my local MC dealer even though they advertise $499, but I found out that is for Labour only.

GoneBoatN
02-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Well, it's colder in Canada, so obviously winterizing is going to be more expensive up there.

;)

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme .......

GoneBoatN
02-20-2013, 06:59 PM
I still wonder what "winterizing" means in these cases. If that includes wrapping the boat as well, that adds quite a bit more to the cost. I'm not saying that justifies it; just that you can compare if you don't know the details.

kalamalka
02-20-2013, 07:49 PM
The qoute for 700 for winterize was just a simple engine winterize, no tarp, no storage, no detail, those were all extras. I think the problem is that people are actually paying this money who have okanagan summer homes because they dont want the hastle so thats the new dealer pricing.

kalamalka
02-20-2013, 07:52 PM
I wonder what i will be charged for a summerize? what do you guys pay?

Jerseydave
02-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Get a friend to show you how so after that you can winterize your boat every year on your own, no need for the dealer (and no need to pay 700...ouch!)

Tune-up, impeller change, filter changes, prop changes, belt/hose changes are all fairly easy after you've done them once. In the past I had a friend with an '84 MC that showed me how to maintain my boat. Leave major items to the dealer, like engine alignment, transmission work, computer diagnosis, gelcoat work, etc.

pram
02-20-2013, 08:06 PM
The qoute for 700 for winterize was just a simple engine winterize, no tarp, no storage, no detail, those were all extras. I think the problem is that people are actually paying this money who have okanagan summer homes because they dont want the hastle so thats the new dealer pricing.

is this at Ra*b*rn*?

sand2snow22
02-20-2013, 09:01 PM

Weren't talking about taxes... Currencies.

GoneBoatN
02-20-2013, 09:20 PM

Wow. Then I'd have to say that is one big rip off. Prior season my dealer had a special of $99 for winterize. This last season they did not have a special so it was more expensive but not really out of line. I still do mine myself because I believe in getting up close and personal with my boat.

GoneBoatN
02-20-2013, 09:27 PM
Get a friend to show you how so after that you can winterize your boat every year on your own, no need for the dealer (and no need to pay 700...ouch!)

Tune-up, impeller change, filter changes, prop changes, belt/hose changes are all fairly easy after you've done them once. In the past I had a friend with an '84 MC that showed me how to maintain my boat. Leave major items to the dealer, like engine alignment, transmission work, computer diagnosis, gelcoat work, etc.

I completely agree with you. In fact, when I took my boat in for the last 100hrs service I had already change the engine and transmission oil, lubricated steering cable and rudder, cleaned the air cleaner and a couple other items. Before I took the boat in for service, I talked with the service writer to make sure it was OK with them. I still paid a fair amount of money but it reduced the bill by quite a bit.

Checking the engine alignment is very easy. Actually moving the engine/transmission if out of alignment is a bit harder but still something anyone could do.

mtajpa
02-20-2013, 09:31 PM
I do all my own maint. and repairs but will purchase parts from local dealer if they have it in stock. If they have to order then I will seek else were unless it has to come from MasterCraft.

Cobra Rob
02-20-2013, 10:47 PM
We had local 'Non-dealer' That may have even posted in this thread ;) that took over just about all the MC business for basic services like winterization, fluid changes, even storage. They provided quicker, better service and cared about their customers more than the dealer and to top it off a bit cheaper. Depends on what your local options are but I would not be afraid to go with someone who gives you better service.

Now I just need to find someone I trust after moving :(

wheelerd
02-21-2013, 01:23 AM

For a bit last year the Can$ was a couple cents higher than the US$.
As far as taxes, yes, we have the 5% GST (Goods and Services Tax) here which is sort of like the European VAT. Each province also has their own sales tax . . . except for Alberta which has no provincial sales tax. (Of course, the govt gets their pound of flesh some other way anyhow.):mad:

But then there are the embedded taxes on fuel, beer, etc. etc. So, although we're sitting on top of huge oil reserves here in Alberta regular gas is $1.09/litre = US$4.12/gal. A big chunk of that is added taxes for this, that, and the other.

Then again, we have pretty good public health care (which of course is paid for by our tax dollars) . . . but we won't get into that endless debate.;)

sand2snow22
02-21-2013, 02:03 AM
We had local 'Non-dealer' That may have even posted in this thread ;) that took over just about all the MC business for basic services like winterization, fluid changes, even storage. They provided quicker, better service and cared about their customers more than the dealer and to top it off a bit cheaper. Depends on what your local options are but I would not be afraid to go with someone who gives you better service.

Now I just need to find someone I trust after moving :(

You know it! Where you at in TX? I'm sure peeps on here can point you in the right direction. Glad you made it safely!

OP, $700 is high unless your getting the works: boat ran to operating temp., fogging oil, fuel stabilizer, winterized, oil change, tranny oil changed, new impeller, lube starter, lube steering, new cap/rotor, new spark plugs, minor detail, etc.

$450 to fix that crack seems high, too. Yes, it's more labor intensive. To do it right you should remove cleat and re-install. But that should only cost $200-250 including materials.

Scott
02-21-2013, 04:09 AM
I have seen this, first hand.. Not knocking doctors and lawyers, but we all dont make that knid of money!!.. I would have to double check the receipt, but it appeared pretty bad.. 16.00 for a quart of oil, 10.00 for a gallon of marine antifreeze. oh and then theres the blanket 50.00, for shop materials.. I think we all know that you can buy a quart of mobil one, for 6.00 and marine antifreeze, for 3.50... its frustarting for me, becuase i just bought the boat, from the dealer... I called another dealer about 3 hrs away, who didnt know me from adam.. price, 350.00 regular oil, not mobil one..:rolleyes:

Ski-me
02-21-2013, 10:56 AM
For a bit last year the Can$ was a couple cents higher than the US$.
As far as taxes, yes, we have the 5% GST (Goods and Services Tax) here which is sort of like the European VAT. Each province also has their own sales tax . . . except for Alberta which has no provincial sales tax. (Of course, the govt gets their pound of flesh some other way anyhow.):mad:

But then there are the embedded taxes on fuel, beer, etc. etc. So, although we're sitting on top of huge oil reserves here in Alberta regular gas is $1.09/litre = US$4.12/gal. A big chunk of that is added taxes for this, that, and the other.

Then again, we have pretty good public health care (which of course is paid for by our tax dollars) . . . but we won't get into that endless debate.;)

Obviously, it's been a long time since I've been to Canada, thanks for the info! (U2 Concert in 86 in Vancouver) Heck, I was born in Calgary.......:o

Ski-me
02-21-2013, 10:57 AM

Yes, I know.

Cobra Rob
02-21-2013, 02:22 PM
You know it! Where you at in TX? I'm sure peeps on here can point you in the right direction. Glad you made it safely!

OP, $700 is high unless your getting the works: boat ran to operating temp., fogging oil, fuel stabilizer, winterized, oil change, tranny oil changed, new impeller, lube starter, lube steering, new cap/rotor, new spark plugs, minor detail, etc.

$450 to fix that crack seems high, too. Yes, it's more labor intensive. To do it right you should remove cleat and re-install. But that should only cost $200-250 including materials.

I am in The Woodlands about 45 min north of Houston, and about 20 south of Lake Conroe. I am going to try out Dockside which is the local MC dealer probably next week. Rudder shaft is a little lose and defiantly letting a bit too much water in, and I don't have any time myself to look into it. I probably should get trany and oil change too.

I made it great. I however, did make one mistake. I figured the wrap was water tight so no worries left it in my driveway a month while it rained and such. Glad I opened it up. I guess it got a ton of condensation in the motor compartment. The brand new looking motor I had was covered in mold growth :( What I PAIN to get the majority of that clean and sprayed down. I am sure I didn't get it all either this will be an on going project.

Aric'sX15
02-21-2013, 02:32 PM
I have seen this, first hand.. Not knocking doctors and lawyers, but we all dont make that knid of money!!.. I would have to double check the receipt, but it appeared pretty bad.. 16.00 for a quart of oil, 10.00 for a gallon of marine antifreeze. oh and then theres the blanket 50.00, for shop materials.. I think we all know that you can buy a quart of mobil one, for 6.00 and marine antifreeze, for 3.50... its frustarting for me, becuase i just bought the boat, from the dealer... I called another dealer about 3 hrs away, who didnt know me from adam.. price, 350.00 regular oil, not mobil one..:rolleyes:

I'd say 350 bucks is about on par for what my dealer charges. The expensive part is the labor. I think at my dealer is 95 an hour! The way its half way justifiable to me is that I think of my Mastercraft as a high end car. My mom had a porsche cayenne GTS last year, and it was 400 bucks for an oil change. I know we're not all doctors and lawyers, but you did just buy a 100k dollar boat! Haha.

onewheat
02-21-2013, 02:45 PM
I'd say 350 bucks is about on par for what my dealer charges. The expensive part is the labor. I think at my dealer is 95 an hour! The way its half way justifiable to me is that I think of my Mastercraft as a high end car. My mom had a porsche cayenne GTS last year, and it was 400 bucks for an oil change. I know we're not all doctors and lawyers, but you did just buy a 100k dollar boat! Haha.

You'll pay $95 an hour at any car dealership. To pay that on a boat isn't unreasonable. Boats are relatively easy to work on - unlike newer cars. The number of hours shouldn't be crazy high for service. It is basic maintenance things that most any person could do.

Aric'sX15
02-21-2013, 03:13 PM
Yeah I'm not complaining because I change my oil my self. Only time I go to the service department is for warranty work.

GoneBoatN
02-21-2013, 04:08 PM
You'll pay $95 an hour at any car dealership. To pay that on a boat isn't unreasonable. Boats are relatively easy to work on - unlike newer cars. The number of hours shouldn't be crazy high for service. It is basic maintenance things that most any person could do.

Yeah I'm not complaining because I change my oil my self. Only time I go to the service department is for warranty work.

$95 and hour is not bad. Keep in mind what that includes: The mechanic to do the labor, the shop in which they do the labor, the training the mechanic has to go to in order to be able to work on the boat/engine, the service writer, the guy who orders the parts, the guy who cleans your boat before they return it to you... In other words, it's not just somebody's hour wage you are talking about; it is the "shop rate".

onewheat
02-21-2013, 04:28 PM
$95 and hour is not bad. Keep in mind what that includes: The mechanic to do the labor, the shop in which they do the labor, the training the mechanic has to go to in order to be able to work on the boat/engine, the service writer, the guy who orders the parts, the guy who cleans your boat before they return it to you... In other words, it's not just somebody's hour wage you are talking about; it is the "shop rate".

Biggest misconception when I told someone our shop rate. "You make $96 an hour?" :uglyhamme THAT is funny! Not anywhere close for a shop wrench guy.

JDC
02-21-2013, 05:11 PM
MC dealer around here is $150 per hour! Sooo glad I can do most everything myself.

If I would just take a welding class and practice, I could tackle my swing tounge rather than having it done (not for $150 an hour mind you). :)

Lumbergh
02-21-2013, 08:09 PM
If I would just take a welding class and practice, I could tackle my swing tounge rather than having it done (not for $150 and hour mind you). :)

When I had my swing tongue done, I just bought the kit online and found a local welder to install it.

His rate was considerably less than $150/hr.

The entire process was about $200 (~$120 welding labor and $80 for kit).

As far as our local shops, they charge about $120/hr.

I learned to work on boat.

That is obscene. The Mercedes and BMW dealers don't even get that much per hour.

Scott
02-22-2013, 03:56 AM

Right about the cost, just bought with a lot of credit!!:o

petermegan
02-22-2013, 05:51 AM

Agreed, Don't forget they are making money on the parts too though. Like the majority of businesses nowadays, they are often top heavy in management and the poor mechanic is earning a basic wage.

LittleFuss
02-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Do most maintenance myself. Good fiberglass shops are not hard to find. Before you decide on a guy, check out some of his finished work, be sure to see some before pictures.

Wish I had a local shop that would work on engine on occassion, when I get stumped. None in my town don't have a clue...

sand2snow22
02-22-2013, 11:01 PM
I am in The Woodlands about 45 min north of Houston, and about 20 south of Lake Conroe. I am going to try out Dockside which is the local MC dealer probably next week. Rudder shaft is a little lose and defiantly letting a bit too much water in, and I don't have any time myself to look into it. I probably should get trany and oil change too.

I made it great. I however, did make one mistake. I figured the wrap was water tight so no worries left it in my driveway a month while it rained and such. Glad I opened it up. I guess it got a ton of condensation in the motor compartment. The brand new looking motor I had was covered in mold growth :( What I PAIN to get the majority of that clean and sprayed down. I am sure I didn't get it all either this will be an on going project.

Bummer on the shrink wrap. He just did another boat for us and was showing us a new wrap, it's black on the inside and it's supposed to help with the mold for extended periods of time. Ironically he was talking about putting it in the engine compartment...?