PDA

View Full Version : Kyle's Skylon Speaker Enclosure

Kyle
02-19-2013, 01:59 PM
Ok

I have had several emails on how did I build the box. I did not take pictures while building it. I did not know how it would turn out and was kinda throwing money at an idea. I did not know how it would turn out or if I would even use it.

I love the outcome of the idea.

I am attaching a PDF file of a few drawings on how I built it. I am no artist, so keep the bad art work to yourself.

If you come up with a better way for me to explain this then please let me know.

I will also attach pictures of the final product soon. The boat is in storage and I will have to go by there to get photos.

Kyle
02-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Here are some pics that I already had taken.....I will get beter ones.

Kyle
02-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Here is a PDF file on instructions or how I built it.

mikeg205
02-19-2013, 02:12 PM
Unfortunately, the board racks are not available - unless someone knows a source.

Kyle
02-19-2013, 02:20 PM
That would be a ebay or CL find then. They are out there

TxsRiverRat
02-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Is this our next project on the Texas River Rat...? :D

:eek3::eek3::eek3:

Aric'sX15
02-19-2013, 02:41 PM
Holy crap thats a lot of work! Props to you!!!

clrussell
02-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Awesome Kyle thanks!

Tapatalk

Kyle
02-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Is this our next project on the Texas River Rat...? :D

:eek3::eek3::eek3:

You will not want to afford this MC

The speakers alone were $550

Materials including the spray on liner, wire, wire looms, loom keepers, bondo, matting and resin, screen, sand paper, racks, mount, ETC

I am pushing close to $1,000+ to have two speakers up top. You know that they are clear and loud as HE// but I dont think you will start throwing that kind of cash at it. Dont forget that the amout of labor hours was probably in the 100+ range.

I dont want to make another one. Total PITA

clrussell
02-20-2013, 08:41 AM
I read through the PDF file last night, I'm glad you made that instruction list. It's way more involved than I thought! But I'm gonna try it anyway. Is the PVC tubes there for exact airspace or just something to build off of?

Tapatalk

TxsRiverRat
02-20-2013, 10:09 AM
You will not want to afford this MC

The speakers alone were $550

Materials including the spray on liner, wire, wire looms, loom keepers, bondo, matting and resin, screen, sand paper, racks, mount, ETC

I am pushing close to $1,000+ to have two speakers up top. You know that they are clear and loud as HE// but I dont think you will start throwing that kind of cash at it. Dont forget that the amout of labor hours was probably in the 100+ range.

I dont want to make another one. Total PITA

Probably not, your stereo sounds so good w/o the tower speakers, I'd slowly start upgrading mine to be like yours if I had more money to toss at it.

But if the GF wants to bring the kids out to the lake, i might invest in a skylon.

MC

TN Barefooter
02-20-2013, 10:33 AM
I read through the PDF file last night, I'm glad you made that instruction list. It's way more involved than I thought! But I'm gonna try it anyway. Is the PVC tubes there for exact airspace or just something to build off of?

Tapatalk

Let me know how your project goes, I'm thinking about going for it myself. I found a skylon rack on ebay last year and the speaker box would be a great addition.

clrussell
02-20-2013, 11:17 AM
When I do it ill try to make a thread or just post pictures in here, I'm pretty stoked about it. Hopefully it turns out 1/2 as good as kyles

Tapatalk

TxsRiverRat
02-20-2013, 11:56 AM
When I do it ill try to make a thread or just post pictures in here, I'm pretty stoked about it. Hopefully it turns out 1/2 as good as kyles

Tapatalk

Kyles looks pretty badarse... looks like something you'd have bought out of a stereo shop... I would not have believed it was home made had I not known him... It's really that nice.

clrussell
02-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Kyles looks pretty badarse... looks like something you'd have bought out of a stereo shop... I would not have believed it was home made had I not known him... It's really that nice.

It is super awesome, like you said it looks like something someone bought not built! I give him props for it

Tapatalk

Kyle
02-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Thank you guys for the generous complements.

For those who want to buld a box. Lets just post up pics here and we can share ideas as we go.

Also The Pipe is more than likely not the correct air space. Yeah I know but it is probably real close. Lets just say that if I were to park next to someone who had the same speakers in the tower cans....You can not tell the difference in the clarity.

If you could only hear them through the thread. You would be shocked....Seriously...I know I was

Kyle
02-20-2013, 02:15 PM
If you guys are looking to build with 6.5" or 7.7" speakers then that is fine. Once you pick a size you are married to that size or you will have to build a new box.

I bought the speakers first and then built the box around the speakers. You HAVE GOT to make sure that the pipe can fit the speaker and the wall of the pipe is thick enough to run a screw down between the ID and OD to mount it.

So that you do NOT crack the pipe.... Pre drill the speaker mount holes before getting too far invested in the project. Once you can mount the speakers fully into the pipe then build away.

I started out with some crappy Alpine 7" speakers and got very lucky that the JL 7.7" fit. I was afraid of having to remake the box.

This box is 4 years old and has been tossed around in the bed of trucks, taken in and out of the boat and set on the ground etc. Do the bed liner. I had mine painted base clear and it lasted 2 outings and it was off to LINEX for the bedliner. It will be very sturdy and you will like it...

clrussell
02-20-2013, 02:19 PM
Thanks for clarifying the air space question! I'm gonna read over all the instructions again tonight and make notes on what I need to buy. This might be in your PDF but did you just use like a fleece material between the two end pieces to fill the gap over the pipe? And then just cover it with glass resin and mat and sand/ bondo it? (Kinda like they show making custom speaker boxes on the old show pimp my ride lol)

Tapatalk

Kyle
02-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Thanks for clarifying the air space question! I'm gonna read over all the instructions again tonight and make notes on what I need to buy. This might be in your PDF but did you just use like a fleece material between the two end pieces to fill the gap over the pipe? And then just cover it with glass resin and mat and sand/ bondo it? (Kinda like they show making custom speaker boxes on the old show pimp my ride lol)

Tapatalk

I actually used window screen but anything of that nature will work. You staple it to the wood and keep applying fleece, screen, or whatever is workable to shape easily, and get a general shape of the box. I wanted to box to kind of have the angle of the rack but have roundess to it too. That is why I rounded the front from the edge of the back wood piece to contour it around the pipe cap so it would be round on the end.

Ill take pics tonight I promise. I have to go to court in the city my boat is in this afternoon. I will stop by and snap a few shots for you guys.

I probably will not get the pics of it installed in the upright position because it is raining and I am in a rent car so I can not pull the boat out today. My truck is in for warranty work.

Ill hit you guys up here in a bit.

clrussell
02-20-2013, 02:38 PM
K thanks again!

Tapatalk

DemolitionMan
02-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Airboom use to make those pylon racks, I had them on my 78.

Sodar
02-20-2013, 03:53 PM
I had the Air Boom racks on my '96, too.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-HPcNyLGYuh0/RgadNP27BPI/AAAAAAAAAdI/sqH2IaSbMYs/s800/IMG_1824.JPG

Kyle
02-21-2013, 03:02 PM
Drumroll and pics

Kyle
02-21-2013, 03:04 PM
And more pics
This is top of first pipe that connects to the enclosure section

This is the bottom of the first skylon section that plugs into the stereo line to amps

This is the line from the amps to the skylon notice female ends so that there is no way to short the amp

Kyle
02-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Hope this gives you guys a general idea

clrussell
02-21-2013, 03:30 PM
Kyle, has anyone ever told you your the man?? That thing looks awesome and it answered about 14 questions I had!

Tapatalk

Kyle
02-21-2013, 03:33 PM
Kyle, has anyone ever told you your the man?? That thing looks awesome and it answered about 14 questions I had!

Tapatalk

Thank you very much for the kind words. I really appreciate that.

Kyle
02-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Oh and I also wanted to throw this out on the table. Notice that there are 2 connectors. A 4 way flat and a 2 way next to it. The 2 way is a + and - that runs the neons. The speakers have LED's in the speaker grills so they light up and are part of my whore/hooker lights....:cool:

TxsRiverRat
02-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Oh and I also wanted to throw this out on the table. Notice that there are 2 connectors. A 4 way flat and a 2 way next to it. The 2 way is a + and - that runs the neons. The speakers have LED's in the speaker grills so they light up and are part of my whore/hooker lights....:cool:

Is that your moonlighting job? :D

TayMC197
02-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Buy a tower!

Cloaked
02-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Nice shoes Kyle...

thatsmrmastercraft
02-21-2013, 05:03 PM
Those pics really show how well that came out. Well done sir.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Nice shoes Kyle...

:purplaugh:purplaugh:purplaugh:purplaugh

Kyle
02-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Nice shoes Kyle...

:D

LMFAO

Kyle
02-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Those pics really show how well that came out. Well done sir.

Thank ya Thank ya

TN Barefooter
02-22-2013, 06:29 PM
That is a true pimp stick right there!

Kyle
02-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Buy a tower!

I am at the point of NO MORE $$,$$$ needs to be added to this boat. Yes a tower looks good. I am not arguing that.

I bought the boat in 2006, I have spent $18,500 on making it mine. I seriously have $27,000 in the boat and reciepts to show on a spread sheet. (NOT including storage, gas, insurance, registration, tags, oil changes, spark plugs, and filters)

I am DONE throwing money at it to make it mine.

clrussell
02-28-2013, 09:19 PM

Kyle, this is my 1st rendering. What do you think?? Are the speakers to close together? My board racks are at more of an angle than yours so I was thinking speakers needed to be closer together to look right

Tapatalk

tph
03-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Sorry...Mispost:

Kyle
03-02-2013, 12:04 AM

Kyle, this is my 1st rendering. What do you think?? Are the speakers to close together? My board racks are at more of an angle than yours so I was thinking speakers needed to be closer together to look right

Tapatalk

Can you post up a better pick of the rack?

I think you would want to integrate the rack and box together.

Just thinking out loud here now....if the speakers are lower than the rack then a Bimini would be difficult to have up as well. Are you looking to use a Bimini? If you raise the rack then the wakeboards will catch on the tow rope so the racks can't be too high.

Kyle
03-02-2013, 12:08 AM
The wires on mine are not run up inside the pipe. They are stuffed in a plastic stick on wire loom on the side. I can take a pic of that.

It's basically the wire loom sticks that you can get at Home Depot and use 2 sided tape to stick it to a wall or something. It has a groove in it where you can stuff the wire in from the side.

I don't know what they are called but you know what I'm talking about.

clrussell
03-02-2013, 06:33 AM
Yea I'll try to get a picture of the rack, it's not adjustable unless I cut it off and weld it back on. Mine isn't a fly high pole or anything like that its one I made. I don't really plan to use a Bimini. My pole is around 6 feet to the top, so I have to duck around boards which isn't that big of deal. Let me see if I can find a better pic

Tapatalk

Kyle
03-02-2013, 10:55 AM
Yea I'll try to get a picture of the rack, it's not adjustable unless I cut it off and weld it back on. Mine isn't a fly high pole or anything like that its one I made. I don't really plan to use a Bimini. My pole is around 6 feet to the top, so I have to duck around boards which isn't that big of deal. Let me see if I can find a better pic

Tapatalk

Ok just an idea here.

Weld on a bracket to the rack that will allow you to build it all together. Or cut what you have and integrate it into an enclosure. Weld it back together and then build the enclosure around the rack.

Maybe weld on some nuts to the rack where you can make it removable from the enclosure.

Send a rack pic and more thinking out loud would be nice.

clrussell
03-02-2013, 11:00 AM

That's the pole, sorry for the crappy pic, I can take a more detailed one if needed. I can make brackets to mount enclosure on it, was planning to weld a mount on so I could remove speakers if I ever needed to. Think out loud as much as you want, I need all the ideas I can find

Tapatalk

Kyle
03-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Does the rack hold 2 or 4 boards. How does the top rack hold 2 boards w/out them flying off. Do you have straps?

Kyle
03-02-2013, 11:13 AM
I have an idea but it would mean not using your racks.

Anyone could make one then since the rack is discontinued.

Take a piece of pipe that will fit the OD of the skylon or whatever brand pole.

Cut the pipe to a legnth of 4-6" long.

Then cut the pipe long ways in half.

Weld on a flat piece that would be 6-8" long and runs horizontal on the vertical pipe. Weld on 2 2" tabs to each edge of the vertical pipe.

This way you have a clamping pipe to fit on the skylon pole.

Get some cutting board material and I'll trace my rack then cut the rack out.

Build an enclosure exactly like mine.

Basically you would need to build a clamp system and then cut out plastic racks. It would be real easy to do.

clrussell
03-02-2013, 11:18 AM
It holds 2-4 boards in the rack, the side that's yellow is where I put my boards, they go in between the yellow rubber pieces, to put 2 boards in it one has o have boots up and one with boots down, I usually just have a knee board on the other side and it fits perfect in the gap, I'll stick a couple boards in it when I get home and take a picture. I have straps to hold the boards in too

Tapatalk

Rockman
03-02-2013, 05:29 PM

That's the pole, sorry for the crappy pic, I can take a more detailed one if needed. I can make brackets to mount enclosure on it, was planning to weld a mount on so I could remove speakers if I ever needed to. Think out loud as much as you want, I need all the ideas I can find

Tapatalk

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the bloody wall in the rental property! It's back!!!:D

Just givin' ya a hard time! ;)

clrussell
03-02-2013, 06:02 PM
Lol! Yep it's back!!

Tapatalk

Kyle
03-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Bump bump bump

Clrussell

Have you come up with any more ideas?

Let's keep this Kustom thread going.

Do you mind drilling through your pipe. Is your pipe aluminum? Do you know how to weld to the pipe material.

Trying to think how make it all tie together

clrussell
03-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Havnt ha much time really. Yea Dont mind to drill and its steel, I can weld mounts to it no problem.. Metal fab is kinda my strong suit. Just havnt had the time in the last week for anything other than work

Tapatalk

tph
03-07-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm working on something similar only it doesn't require racks. Here are some pics of the prototype. The final product will have speaker pods like the last photo and everything will be finished in black.

clrussell
03-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Tph that looks good!

Tapatalk

Kyle
03-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Wow that looks great. Just be mindful of the rope getting hung on them being so high if you do around the boat tricks.

I wonder if you can attach 4 up there.

Either way. Very clean install. I love it. Looks real nice

Kyle
03-07-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm wondering if you mount it like pic 1 upside down if I can slide it under my mounts and then mount 4 speakers. If so I'm building one that can acomidate 4 speakers.

Damn guys making me spend more money.....:D

Kyle
03-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Tph how many hours do you have in that build?

I may have something I'm building that I will reveal on Saturday that we can trade off for different builds if you want to build one for 7.7JL's. I'd want 4 speakers to fit though.

All I can say is what I'm building has 15 hours in it. It is hydro dipped in carbon fiber and will have lots of LED lights built in.

Get ready for an awesome custom piece. If you want one I can CNC you one and have it in a few weeks.

clrussell
03-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Can't wait for the unveil!

Tapatalk

thatsmrmastercraft
03-07-2013, 09:00 PM

I may have something I'm building that I will reveal on Saturday that we can trade off for different builds if you want to build one for 7.7JL's. I'd want 4 speakers to fit though.

All I can say is what I'm building has 15 hours in it. It is hydro dipped in carbon fiber and will have lots of LED lights built in.

Get ready for an awesome custom piece. If you want one I can CNC you one and have it in a few weeks.

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Does that 15 hours count drinking beers?

tph
03-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Just be mindful of the rope getting hung on them being so high if you do around the boat tricks.

I actually though about that and considered having them rotate on the pylon using the ski line. That way there wouldn't be any interference and the sound would follow the skier/rider.

Kyle
03-07-2013, 09:54 PM
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Does that 15 hours count drinking beers?

Unfortunately all I went through was a can of Copenhagen, so no brewha was had.

You guys will LOVE my new creation.

I have put a lot of ideas into it.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-07-2013, 10:01 PM

Have you a date in mind for the grand presentation?

Kyle
03-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Have you a date in mind for the grand presentation?

Saturday

I prolly will take orders on it too

All I can say is

LED lights can be had in any color. It can be hydro dipped with any pattern. Mine is carbon fiber print but if you want a custom marbleized, skull patterns, carbon patters, different base colors, etc. anything will be possible.

Kustom Kyle may just have one really cool build. I'll let you guys decide. I'm pretty proud of it so I hope you will like it. I just hope it is not something everyone goes meh whatever over.....

thatsmrmastercraft
03-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Sounds like you are setting yourself up for a nice side business.

clrussell
03-07-2013, 10:30 PM
If its anywhere close to as awesome as your original it'll be sweet !

Tapatalk

Kyle
03-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Sounds like you are setting yourself up for a nice side business.

Well I have someone who can CNC and another one to hydro dip.

I will have pics of different patterns. Also if you want a base coat and clear coat then that will be fine too.

Basically whoever wants orders and has it pretty quick.

Kyle
03-07-2013, 10:32 PM
If its anywhere close to as awesome as your original it'll be sweet !

Tapatalk

It has nothing to do with speakers.......

Ok enough hints. I'll start a new thread Saturday ;)

thatsmrmastercraft
03-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Well I have someone who can CNC and another one to hydro dip.

I will have pics of different patterns. Also if you want a base coat and clear coat then that will be fine too.

Sounds like you have done your homework. Looking forward to the unveiling.

TxsRiverRat
03-07-2013, 11:15 PM
It has nothing to do with speakers.......

Ok enough hints. I'll start a new thread Saturday ;)

LOL - what is it kyle??? Hahahahaha

Kyle
03-07-2013, 11:45 PM
LOL - what is it kyle??? Hahahahaha

I don't know but your Kustom part will be ready Saturday if all goes well. They said we would have them tomorrow. Calling them in am.

I'll give you a sneak peak maņana

psychobilly
03-08-2013, 06:40 AM

Copenhagen, what a wad flavor! Copenhagen I can see it on your smile!
So it would have taken me a week as that's how long it takes me to get through a can. :-)

Kyle
03-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Copenhagen, what a wad flavor! Copenhagen I can see it on your smile!
So it would have taken me a week as that's how long it takes me to get through a can. :-)

I generally kill a can in 2-3 days or so. So 2-2.5 cans a week. High stress=lots of cope :)

tph
03-08-2013, 02:26 PM

I'm not sure how many hours I have in it. I've been working on it a little at a time this winter. Maybe 8 - 10 hours so far. But, unlike you, I am sourcing available components and putting them together opposed to fabricating from scratch. (Sometimes, I think it takes longer to find the right materials than to assemble them.) It sounds like you have far greater resources and skills than I do. I'm looking forward to seeing your next creation.

tph
03-08-2013, 02:35 PM
Wow that looks great. Just be mindful of the rope getting hung on them being so high if you do around the boat tricks.

I wonder if you can attach 4 up there.

Either way. Very clean install. I love it. Looks real nice

Tph that looks good!

Tapatalk

Thanks for the compliments. I'm building it primarily because I'm tired of blasting the interior stereo to hear anything out on the water when we "Cove float" on inflatable lounges around the boat.

clrussell
03-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Tph when you get done can you post up more info? Like what material and etc ?

Tapatalk

Kyle
03-08-2013, 04:48 PM

Tapatalk

Agree

Kyle wants to see a thread on this bada$$ build

Kyle
03-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Drumroll

Click

Here

For

Reveal

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52973

clrussell
03-10-2013, 08:48 PM
Finally got a picture of pole with boards!

I'll try to load it on the computer and see if I can draw up something with it

Tapatalk

tph
03-11-2013, 02:19 AM

Tapatalk

Sure. But, I won't be as fast as Kyle.

clrussell
03-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Tph, what material are you using for the pods? Is it PVC? Or something along those lines? Thanks!

Tapatalk

tph
03-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Tph, what material are you using for the pods? Is it PVC? Or something along those lines? Thanks!

Tapatalk

Yes. 6" PVC Caps like these:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MUELLER-INDUSTRIES-Cap-5WPW7?Pid=search

P.S. They actually look more rounded than the picture shows.

clrussell
03-12-2013, 04:04 AM
Awesome thanks! That's what I thought they were but I couldn't tell for sure!

Tapatalk

tph
03-12-2013, 11:53 AM
Awesome thanks! That's what I thought they were but I couldn't tell for sure!

Tapatalk

Here's a better picture:

clrussell
03-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Thanks! Have you stuck a speaker in it to see how it sounds yet? Just wondering if it'll sound odd since they are kinda small

Tapatalk

TN Barefooter
03-12-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm working on something similar only it doesn't require racks. Here are some pics of the prototype. The final product will have speaker pods like the last photo and everything will be finished in black.

PM sent, I'd like to have one of those for my boat. That looks great.

Kyle
03-12-2013, 01:27 PM
Thanks! Have you stuck a speaker in it to see how it sounds yet? Just wondering if it'll sound odd since they are kinda small

Tapatalk

Run the right rms and set crossover correctly and they will scream like wild banshee's.

That is what I have inside my setup. I just have PVC pipe added to the cap. I made mine to acomidate the board racks. So a cap with 4" of pipe basically. Air space is hard to figure out but I can promise you mine are extremely loud mofo's.

They will sound great.

clrussell
03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Kyle thanks, I'm gonna head to the local hardware store and see if they have any caps.. If so it'll help give my a jump start on finishing this thing!

Tapatalk

Kyle
03-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Kyle thanks, I'm gonna head to the local hardware store and see if they have any caps.. If so it'll help give my a jump start on finishing this thing!

Tapatalk

Just make sure the speaker can fit in without hitting the back of the cap.

clrussell
03-12-2013, 03:50 PM
Ok will do!

Tapatalk

clrussell
03-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Tph, one more question for now.. What did you use to connect the 2 caps to the pole? The "y" piece

Tapatalk

tph
03-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Tph, one more question for now.. What did you use to connect the 2 caps to the pole? The "y" piece

Tapatalk
I started with the 3" ABS fitting below. It took hours of cutting, and shaping to get it into it's final form. The problem that I am having now, is that the side portion of the new "pod" I want to use is 3 1/4" and the diameter of the "Y" pipe is 3 1/2" So, I either have to do some creative shaping or find a fitting with 2 1/2" arms.

clrussell
03-12-2013, 08:50 PM

If those are the same 2 pieces that you've reworked; WOW! Seriously can't tell they are even the same! I can't wait for my new skylon to show up so I can start fresh and do something like yours.

Tapatalk

clrussell
03-18-2013, 03:00 PM
So I got my end caps today, but the speaker almost falls completely inside it. Should I glue the speaker in or get a piece of 6" to slide inside it and screw to that?

Tapatalk

tph
03-18-2013, 03:16 PM
So I got my end caps today, but the speaker almost falls completely inside it. Should I glue the speaker in or get a piece of 6" to slide inside it and screw to that?

Tapatalk

The Infinity speaker grills I used were the same diameter as the caps and had a mounting flange inside the grill. So, all I have to do is glue the grills to the caps. You could also glue a piece of 6" pipe inside and mount to that as you mentioned. Are your grills going to fit OK?

clrussell
03-18-2013, 03:27 PM
I'll get a picture real quick and show ya

Tapatalk

clrussell
03-18-2013, 03:33 PM

With grill

The grills hold the speaker up a little further than without a grill, I think I'm going to glue a piece of 6" inside the cap and screw to it. If my speaker set 1/16" taller the grill would fit fine. But with the speaker in the cap with no grill the grill cannot go on the speaker without pulling the speaker back out

Tapatalk

clrussell
03-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Found a scrap piece of 6" I think, so that should solve mounting problems..

Made some progress on mounting the caps to the "cross fitting"

Tph, you did use a 3" cross right? Want to make sure before I start glassing.. My skylon isn't here yet, should be tomorrow though

6" bench grinder is best for this step

Tapatalk

Kyle
03-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Make some spacers and throw 4 up top.

If they can fit a JL 7.7 then I'd be willing to trade you a cup holder ;)

Keep it going.

I would carbon dip that set up for sure. Look extra pimp

clrussell
03-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Carbon fiber dip would be sweet!! But it'd be the best looking thing On the boat!

Kyle did you see my question in your cup holder thread?

Tapatalk

tph
03-18-2013, 09:47 PM
Found a scrap piece of 6" I think, so that should solve mounting problems..

Made some progress on mounting the caps to the "cross fitting"

Tph, you did use a 3" cross right? Want to make sure before I start glassing.. My skylon isn't here yet, should be tomorrow though

6" bench grinder is best for this step

Tapatalk

Yes, I used a long sweep double Sani Tee fixture for 3" abs pipe. It fits very nicely over my "Ten Foot Pole" extended pylon. I'm not sure what the diameter of a Skylon system is. It's probably the same. I used the long sweep instead of a standard cross so that I could cut the hubs off and still have a reasonable distance between the speakers. Great progress. Thanks for keeping us updated.

tph
03-18-2013, 09:51 PM
Make some spacers and throw 4 up top.

I considered doing that too.... was a little concerned about the weight out that far

clrussell
03-18-2013, 09:59 PM
I got the caps glued on this evening and got some 6" to slide inside the caps for spacers. I'll start fiberglass work tomorrow after I verify fitment over my skylon. I should have probably used the wider cross like you did to put the speakers further apart, but that was the last one the store had.

Tapatalk

MikeyOrange88
03-19-2013, 08:33 AM
I have no need for the speakers/racks etc. on my ride, but daaamnn you guys build some nice stuff!
Creative and well executed. I just like reading the threads just to see what new stuff you all have come up with.
As always, keep the pics coming too.
Nice job all, you know who you are.

clrussell
03-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Got the 6" sealed to the caps, learned how to seal PVC at the same time, it easier than expected. Waiting on it to dry then comes pilot holes for speaker mount and glass work (which ill learn as I go)

Here's a progress pic 91410

Tapatalk

tph
04-04-2013, 04:22 PM
The second version is coming along. I better get it finished...The lake is filling up quickly.

blakekrone
04-04-2013, 04:40 PM
Looks nice, I might have to look at this for my tower can speakers on the cheap!

thatsmrmastercraft
04-04-2013, 04:42 PM
The second version is coming along. I better get it finished...The lake is filling up quickly.

Very cool work.

Kyle
04-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Bump

Any updates on the work going on out there.

clrussell
04-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Not much progress here yet, been so busy with trying to get everyone else's projects done i havnt had much time to work on my own

Tapatalk

tph
05-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Just need to attach a coiled cable to the speaker leads and hook it up:

mzimme
05-09-2013, 10:36 PM
That looks great! Obviously the speakers need to be swiveled around right?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-09-2013, 10:57 PM
That looks great! Obviously the speakers need to be swiveled around right?

Uh-oh:confused:

Fantastic work tph :toast:

clrussell
05-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Looks amazing! Hopefully mine turn out almost that good if I ever have time to work on it!

Tapatalk

TKSTARS
10-25-2013, 02:37 AM
Tph... How did you screw the speakers into the PVC cap?

clrussell
01-04-2014, 11:26 PM
Bump for a question. I bought a board rack like kyles for my skylon, going to build a completely new speaker assembly. Should I go jl 7.7s or wetsounds xs-650s? I have not seen yet but is there a way to just get some rev8s without the cans? It looks like I'll be keeping the boat another season as we went over budget on the house build so I'll just be upgrading what I have.

Thanks!