PDA

View Full Version : 91 Octane and Up - Free Beer!

KahunaCraft
02-17-2013, 11:49 AM
I can't help but notice that many other brands demand octane levels that are hard to find on the lakes and rivers I boat on...

Couple of questions...

Does your lake / river have pumps that are 91 or higher?

Do you care about fuel costs ?

Do you run with premium fuel or additives, if how much of a difference does it make on performance?

Our lake sells 89 octane fuel at $6.20 / gallon... So I use a 25G trolley with a few 5G jugs to fill @ 5.00 / gallon at the road side stations. I'll fill on the lake in a jam, but that's only 4-5 times a year. My fuel costs are between 3-5k per annum...numbers are converted from Canadian to USD.

My opinion, I do care about fuel costs, having to pay for premium higher octane fuel adds 15-20% to the overall costs to operate. It doesn't affect the number of hours I spend on my boat, but the extra pinch at the pumps would be noticeable. The delta on a full tank is a couple cases of beer in the U.S. or one case in Canada. In this light, MC is giving us $40-50 bucks with every tank of fuel...buy some beer or other stuff...

I've seen posts where people say, if you can afford one of these boats, you shouldn't complain about the costs to run them...to that I say, find me someone that doesn't like FREE BEER!

Jerseydave
02-17-2013, 11:58 AM
I trailer so I never need to buy fuel on the water. 89 octane is what my MCX calls for, so that's what it gets. What does your 6.0 Illmor call for? For engines that only require 89, you would be wasting money using super.

I usually take 4-5 riders with me, $20 per person for 2 sets so my boat fuel is usually paid for.
This is far better than years ago when I had a Formula 303 with twin 502's, 125 gal tank that I had to fill each time myself! Gotta love wakeboarding!

I don't drink beer on my own boat since I'm the driver 90% of the time, so nobody brings beer for me as fuel payment.

I feel sorry for you canadians that pay big bucks for gas. Better get your buddies to chip in big time!

KahunaCraft
02-17-2013, 12:05 PM
All engines in the Ilmor line up call for 87 octane.

Yeah, there was a thread on collecting money from others, I've got friend that reciprocate and kids with friends where I don't mind. I'll find and edit this post with a link. Key is to decide who the takers and givers are in your life and adjust accordingly. I've never collected, but this forum has changed my opinion on that. Edit: the discussion was on the bu forum, worth a read.

I'm not advocating drinking and driving, just that the savings of having an 87 octane boats adds up quick.

Edit: I'm not convinced that a 93 octane CC gets better fuel mileage than a MC, in fact, I'd say my X30 compared to a G23/230 would be over $1000 cheaper to operate each year. Not to mention that I feel the quality of the MC on fit and finish is much better.

ProStar200
02-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Favourite saying of mine is "my Boat doesn't run on thanks".

east tx skier
02-17-2013, 02:01 PM
All engines in the Ilmor line up call for 87 octane.

Yeah, there was a thread on collecting money from others, I've got friend that reciprocate and kids with friends where I don't mind. I'll find and edit this post with a link. Key is to decide who the takers and givers are in your life and adjust accordingly. I've never collected, but this forum has changed my opinion on that. Edit: the discussion was on the bu forum, worth a read.

I'm not advocating drinking and driving, just that the savings of having an 87 octane boats adds up quick.

Edit: I'm not convinced that a 93 octane CC gets better fuel mileage than a MC, in fact, I'd say my X30 compared to a G23/230 would be over $1000 cheaper to operate each year. Not to mention that I feel the quality of the MC on fit and finish is much better.

The PCM Excalibur (5.7) in the CC calls for 87 octane. I think the ZR and supercharged engines are the only ones that call for 93. My 98 PCM GT-40 calls for 89 Octane just like my old Indmar MC 351HO. Difference in price per tank for 89 over 87 is about $4. I have gotten used to running 93 in my VW. So 89 for the boat is a discount. In short, I give the engine what it wants and not a bit more.

GoneBoatN
02-17-2013, 05:52 PM
My 2010 MCX calls for Mid Grade (89 octane). Typically I trailer so I give it want it says it wants. The week we spend on vacation on the lake, the marina only has 87 so I run it for just that week.

lakeoz tristar
02-17-2013, 09:32 PM
I buy gas on land and lug it down to the dock, Gas station is about 4 miles away..I can get close to 40 gallons per trip, buy used gas cans at every garage sale I see if they are in decent condition. One of the concerns I don't think any one mentioned here is Ethanol. Around here gas is soo expensive on the water I only buy it if I am out and about and running out of fuel...have not bought gas on the water in many years so I don't price it but it is usually .75 plus cents more on the water..It seems all the gas stations around here only have 91 with no ethanol. I have heard it will do bad things to gas hoses and carbs??? SO I don't take the chance of running that.
Takes me several trips to fill both boats usually keep them pretty full so I don't have to make the trips all at once.

GoneBoatN
02-18-2013, 11:49 AM
My 2010 MCX calls for Mid Grade (89 octane). Typically I trailer so I give it want it says it wants. The week we spend on vacation on the lake, the marina only has 87 so I run it for just that week.

Why I don't lug it to the dock while on vacation.

mikeg205
02-18-2013, 12:03 PM
I trailer and don't run but maybe 1 a week when I am lucky. I run premium all season long. Manual calls for 89... I rarely run a tank dry and then I trade off running with friend's boats... Add marine stabil every fill up and seafoam once a month.

When I boat in Canada... I get my gas from the station and lug it down. No ethanol I believe when I get premium. Medic moose if you see this - Gas from Redden's - of you know where that is :)

Don't care what the gas costs... but I won't pay marina prices...

medicmoose
02-19-2013, 07:03 AM
I trailer and don't run but maybe 1 a week when I am lucky. I run premium all season long. Manual calls for 89... I rarely run a tank dry and then I trade off running with friend's boats... Add marine stabil every fill up and seafoam once a month.

When I boat in Canada... I get my gas from the station and lug it down. No ethanol I believe when I get premium. Medic moose if you see this - Gas from Redden's - of you know where that is :)

Don't care what the gas costs... but I won't pay marina prices...

+1 for the Seafoam and Stabil....helps curb the effects of ethanol (water). I think our stations here have varying amount of ethanol. Regular (87 octane) is usually advertised as "no more than 15 %) while Midgrade (89 octane) says "no more than 10%".

People can correct me if I am wrong, but unless you know you are running a high compression/high performance engine....spending the extra money on premium gas for the octane level will only be an exercise of spending more money. If, however, you are concerned about the ethanol contents of the gas...the higher octane fuels general have a lower ethanol content.

High ethanol contents should be a concern if your boat (or any other engine) sits for extended periods of time without using Seafoam and/or Stabil.

Mike...my only concern about Reddens would be a reduced volume of sales (gas gets older)....but that may not hold true in the summer months with the number of people staying out there.

clrussell
02-19-2013, 09:08 AM
I run 91 in mine for the fact it's the only thing you can buy around here that's ethanol free, I trailer and always buy at the fast stations locally that I've had good luck with. 91 octane is still cheaper than diesel for for my truck so I don't notice the money difference

Tapatalk

boogie420
02-19-2013, 10:20 AM
The marina where my slip is lewisville,tx only sells 93 octane but its only 50 cents more than going rate of premium so about 4.50 which is not too bad I have 04 x2 and can fill up and go all day at 100 bucks.

CC2MC
02-19-2013, 10:36 AM
I am guessing that my LT-1 recommends 89, but she runs just fine on 87. There is a gas station just up the road from me that has no ethanol 87 so that is usually what I put in it. It is about 20 cents more than regular with ethanol, but to me it's worth it to get more gas in your tank.

kjohnson
02-19-2013, 10:59 AM
I am guessing that my LT-1 recommends 89, but she runs just fine on 87. There is a gas station just up the road from me that has no ethanol 87 so that is usually what I put in it. It is about 20 cents more than regular with ethanol, but to me it's worth it to get more gas in your tank.

My MC manual requires 89 or higher. Does anyone know if a lower octane (87) gas will have a negative impact on the engine or just have slightly reduced performance?

etduc
02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
My MC manual requires 89 or higher. Does anyone know if a lower octane (87) gas will have a negative impact on the engine or just have slightly reduced performance?
No reduction in performance. Gasoline is a mixture of chemicals. Octane is included to prevent pre-detonation. (pinging) You know, that rattling noise, some engine will make. If that is happening, it will ruin your pistons.

Simple rule, higher compression ratio, higher octane. Older engines, under 10:1 can typically run 87. If there no engine issues, and gas is of good grade.

I typically run 89, in my Expedition and boat. Both will run will on 87. My MC 205 is a 9.5:1 engine. I usually run 89. I figure 89 is the most sold product, so in theory, could be a more consistant quality.

Also, gas in Oklahoma seems to work better, and usually cheaper, than East Texas. Go figure. :rolleyes:

1redTA
02-19-2013, 05:38 PM
The LT1 has a 10.4-1 compression ratio, even with reverse cooling I wouldn't run 87 in it unless all you do is put around at idle or cruise

thatsmrmastercraft
02-19-2013, 05:52 PM
The LT1 has a 10.4-1 compression ratio, even with reverse cooling I wouldn't run 87 in it unless all you do is put around at idle or cruise

Even with the detonation sensor dialing the timing back it's still pushing things in the wrong direction using 87.

rtw_travel
02-19-2013, 07:02 PM

I found this on the internet. Unlike many other internet articles, this one is written in a way that makes it seem like it's correct. Their bottom line is that for most engines, running lower octane will not harm the engine, but the increase in fuel usage will approximately equal the fuel savings if you are supposed to run on a higher octane but only run the lower one.

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/12615839-BMW-explains-using-lower-Octane-gasoline

There was also an exposť on Canadian TV before Christmas on a show called marketplace.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2012/11/pump-facts.html

jsta281
02-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Hello all mostly a lurker on here. I have some experience with octane and performance engines as I run A boosted Mustang at the dragstrip That requires greater than 91 octane fuel.

In short lower octane fuel actually burns faster then high octane fuel so running the lowest octane fuel possible without detonation (pinging or worse) will yield the best performance.

My "race car" which is really a street legal car I race requires 96 octane. Here in utah 91 at the pump is all you get but for a few places that sell 100 octane. I run a fuel additive called Torco accelerator. 32 oz into 10 gal of 91 makes 96. 32 oz into 20 gallons will easily net you 2 or more octane points.

The point is if you were somewhere and needed a little insurance for octane this works well.

If you buy it 5 gal at a time you can buy it for $250 or 12.50 per 32 oz.

It's alot easier then hauling around gas cans full of 93 or 91 if required.

It is unleaded and 02 sensor safe, I have run it in my car for at least 6 years with no negative effects on emissions equipment.

Just a suggestion.

east tx skier
02-20-2013, 11:52 AM
Another thing to consider. Engine Nut, who works for Indmar, once posted here that the reason Indmar called for 89 octane was due to the fact that most people use their boats infrequently. 87 octane is fine, but 86 is not. So, to avoid having people fill up with 87, then leave the boat sitting for a month or two between uses and starting it up with what was no longer 87 octane fuel, Indmar recommended 89 octane so that there would be a little buffer for less frequent users.

I think it is a good idea to stabilize any fuel you don't intend to burn off in the next two weeks before that last outing of the weekend.

jhall0711
02-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Another thing to consider. Engine Nut, who works for Indmar, once posted here that the reason Indmar called for 89 octane was due to the fact that most people use their boats infrequently. 87 octane is fine, but 86 is not. So, to avoid having people fill up with 87, then leave the boat sitting for a month or two between uses and starting it up with what was no longer 87 octane fuel, Indmar recommended 89 octane so that there would be a little buffer for less frequent users.

I think it is a good idea to stabilize any fuel you don't intend to burn off in the next two weeks before that last outing of the weekend.

Good advice ETS. I follow that almost all the time. If I am camping for a wknd and know that I will blow threw an entire tank, I will run 87. However, If I am not sure that I will get all of that tank out I will run 89 or better to make sure that if it sets I will not have to worry about octane drop.