PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Stuff People Ask About Ski Boats

Double D
02-16-2013, 11:18 PM
I cant take credit for this thread idea and I hope it hasn't been done before, but specialty boats are a lot like specialty cars, where nobody really knows much about them but still casts general knowledge and wisdom around, resulting in moronic comments.
I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain what a ski boat is and why it's different from a typical boat.

I have had the following conversation over a dozen times:

"Hey, nice boat! What size engine?"
"Chevy 350, 275 HP.
"Wow, I bet it goes fast!"
"No, just 43 to 45 MPH. Its made for the pull."
"Oh, do a lot a fishing?"
"No..., not on this boat."

Now my Friend Story: He was only ever out on an old wood boat with a 25 hp outboard.

First time I took him on the boat. I told him it was like a large jet ski so hold on when I turn. He didn't and ended up on the other side of the boat, smashing his wife.
Then I take him tubing. Run him around real careful and he gets real confident. Feels so confident he said "I bet you cant knock me off...."
OK, I had him thrown in less than 6 seconds and one turn. He apologized...
I tend to do that with the people who get cocky... :rolleyes:

Nordicron
02-16-2013, 11:28 PM
How fast is by far the most often.

But I've gotten how much did that thing cost several times too.

wheelerd
02-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Up here in Canada there is a chain of stores called Canadian Tire that sells mostly automotive parts and supplies, tools, hardware, paint, sporting goods, etc. Their house brand of tools is called "Mastercraft." (without the capital C) So sometimes I get asked "When did Canadian Tire start selling high-end boats?"

Latin Flyer
02-17-2013, 12:09 AM
How fast

SPSinclair 190
02-17-2013, 12:19 AM
Where is the motor !!![ lower unit ]

ProStar200
02-17-2013, 01:11 AM
Up here in Canada there is a chain of stores called Canadian Tire that sells mostly automotive parts and supplies, tools, hardware, paint, sporting goods, etc. Their house brand of tools is called "Mastercraft." (without the capital C) So sometimes I get asked "When did Canadian Tire start selling high-end boats?"

I get the same thing, many times. Especially when people see the decal in the Rear window of the truck. My favourite is "MasterCraft made outboards"? Ya, your looking at one!

Tristar Racing
02-17-2013, 01:19 AM
The confusion on their faces when you say a small boat with a V8 won't even hit 50mph is priceless.

TOO-TALL
02-17-2013, 01:32 AM
how fast it??
Do ya do a lot of fishing?
What are the round things up there? (speakers on tower)

The best one I heard:
We were wipeing the boat down after a day of riding. the local dnr pulls up and says "I've never seen a roll bar on a boat before" then drives away....He thought the tower was a roll bar.

GoneBoatN
02-17-2013, 02:04 AM
Most annoying:
Question: You aren't one of those people who play their stereo real loud?
Answer: Just for you, I most certainly will.

2nd most annoying:
Do you do a lot of fishing?
How the heck do you fish with the wakeboards hanging in the racks?

Aric'sX15
02-17-2013, 02:11 AM
I get the how much did that cost one all the time. What size motor is the second question.

medicmoose
02-17-2013, 07:17 AM
People who don't have that whole "attention to detail" thing:
"Are those lights up there?"

An increasingly tired me:
"Nope, speakers...built for sound not light".

And yes, I too get the "do you fish on it?" Slowly I think people around here are starting to realize that you can actually do more on a lake than pull fish out of it.

Covi
02-17-2013, 08:05 AM
pulled up to a friends dock to pick her up and her moms says "hey Marc I've never noticed the engine on the back of your boat before"? My response yea this baby really goes fast!

X25John
02-17-2013, 09:54 AM
Best one I got "is that a race boat?"

Jerseydave
02-17-2013, 10:21 AM
What engine is in that?
How fast does it go?
What did that boat cost you?

The worst was when I was selling my '94 PS190, a guy came to the house to look at it and asked "where do you put the crab traps?" He was totally serious, so I said "this boat is not for you, keep looking elsewhere".

That's the same boat the "Craig" on here now owns.....thank goodness!

MASTIQUE
02-17-2013, 10:48 AM
My favorite is: "Can you ski behind that thing?"

orbeamlb
02-17-2013, 10:52 AM
I get the same thing, many times. Especially when people see the decal in the Rear window of the truck. My favourite is "MasterCraft made outboards"? Ya, your looking at one!

I'm asked the same thing too. Had a Tige owner ask me if it was difficult converting it from inboard to outboard power.

orbeamlb
02-17-2013, 10:53 AM

Um, Duh!

02ProstarSammyD
02-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Whats that hump in the middle?
How much does one of dem things cost? (Usually say 4 or 5 grand to get them pissed about buying their sea ray)
What kind of boat is it? ( IT'S WRITTEN ON THE SIDE OF THE BOAT)
Can you talk through the speakers like a PA? (no but thanks for the idea)

ahhudgins
02-17-2013, 11:09 AM
All of the same:
Where is the engine? How fast can it go? Did you catch any today?

True story:
My drunken neighbor has never liked me. I believe it is boat envy, he owns a Bay Liner. One day he pulls up beside me and asks “Do you want to race to the damn and back”. I’m sure his boat will top out at 50 MPH once he gets going so I just said “I’ll go ahead and give you the race to the damn and back, then we’ll put 3 slalom skiers behind each boat and do the same thing.” He says, “Why do you want to do that?” I say, “Because mine is a SKI boat”. That shut him up.

A few years later they lost their boat in a drunken collision with another boat. His son just bought an 89 Prostar that is identical to the one I used to own.:D

RadarDad
02-17-2013, 11:46 AM
My wife's family member, that I only met after we had been married for over 10 years. We're very mad at me for not taking her husband fishing. Because I had that pole in the middle of the boat! I always like the people that just because you ski you drink at the same time.

Double D
02-17-2013, 11:55 AM

Winner so far!! :uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

madcityskier
02-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Whats that hump in the middle?
How much does one of dem things cost? (Usually say 4 or 5 grand to get them pissed about buying their sea ray)
What kind of boat is it? ( IT'S WRITTEN ON THE SIDE OF THE BOAT)
Can you talk through the speakers like a PA? (no but thanks for the idea)

Nordicron can.
I get a lot of age and engine related questions. Also, when the t-top was on,
What's with the spoiler? And, Do you race that thing?

One guy asked how it handles and didn't hang on as instructed. Got thrown around and broke his nose on the windshield. He was considerate enough to lean out on the idle home so he wouldn't bleed on the boat.

Rockman
02-17-2013, 12:07 PM
The best one I heard:
We were wipeing the boat down after a day of riding. the local dnr pulls up and says "I've never seen a roll bar on a boat before" then drives away....He thought the tower was a roll bar.

Yes, they employ the most intelligent people...especially up north.:rolleyes:

Rockman
02-17-2013, 12:14 PM
We were getting gas in the BF200 at a BP in a small town one Saturday morning in the summer and we went into the little store area to get some ice and snacks for the kids...when we came out, there were people standing around the side of the boat taking pictures, etc. :confused:

When we got closer to the boat, people started asking for our autographs and asked if we were going to be on any of the lakes in the area during the day...we had no clue what was going on...then someone asked which world records our boat pulled...???

On the back sides of the boat, we have the stickers "World Record Ski Boat"...so to say the least, we were all celebrities for 10 minutes! :D

barefoot
02-17-2013, 01:40 PM
I get a lot of age related questions. When I tell them it's an '83 or 30 years old, they usually look like this :confused: :confused: and then say what a great looking boat it is.

I have to agree :cool:

east tx skier
02-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Pulled in to a boat mechanic's lot that I had not used before with my old MC.

Boat Mechanic: Is that a jet boat?

Me: No. See the propeller.

Boat mechanic: Scratches head.

Me: Shaking head as I drive away with boat still attached to truck.

LittleFuss
02-17-2013, 07:32 PM
"Where is the engine?"

My favorite:
Idiot: "What's that thing for?". Idiot redneck pointing at back of boat below swimd deck.
Me: "Steering". Describing the function of a rudder.

hondaprlud
02-17-2013, 09:20 PM
My 2 most often are

Do you go to Lake Erie?

The Erie question always gets me because it would be a terrible lake to use and as soon as I say no, people lose interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Double D
02-17-2013, 11:46 PM
My 2 most often are

Do you go to Lake Erie?

The Erie question always gets me because it would be a terrible lake to use and as soon as I say no, people lose interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I get that Lake Erie question a lot too. I agree, not my boat.

tdelong
02-18-2013, 12:35 AM
It always caught my attention when people would call it a speedboat.

Me: Do you get out on the lake very often?
Friend: yea every once in a while on John's speedboat.
Me: you mean his X25?

Kyle
02-18-2013, 12:40 AM
LMFAO @ at Rockman having a world record boat and pics being taken.

I get the how was the fishing, what did you catch ?'s. I also get how big is the engine and how fast will she go.

My favorite question.

Is that a 2007-2008 model?

No it's a '93 and 20 years old.

Oh well that is a real old boat then, it looks brand new.

Thank you for the complement.....

2nd favorite question coming from ski boat owners.

Ok, I have got to ask, how many subwoofers do you have in the bow of that Mastercraft?

I say just 1 JL w6 12" sub.

There is no way. That boat hits too hard for just a single 12"

Show them and they are in shock. Then their wife says NO you can't do that to ours after they get the idea of cost.

ChandlerR
02-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Took my old ski supreme during the darly 90's to a cousins starter and gernerator shop for a changing problem. Most days we took the back seat out for more room, and it was out this day as well. My cousins comment was " that's a pretty nice boat, but the damn thing only has two seats !

RadarDad
02-18-2013, 09:37 AM
When I anounced I was getting a new boat "are you getting a bigger one?"

SkiDog
02-18-2013, 10:17 AM
We were getting gas in the BF200 at a BP in a small town one Saturday morning in the summer and we went into the little store area to get some ice and snacks for the kids...when we came out, there were people standing around the side of the boat taking pictures, etc. :confused:

When we got closer to the boat, people started asking for our autographs and asked if we were going to be on any of the lakes in the area during the day...we had no clue what was going on...then someone asked which world records our boat pulled...???

On the back sides of the boat, we have the stickers "World Record Ski Boat"...so to say the least, we were all celebrities for 10 minutes! :D

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

mzimme
02-18-2013, 10:25 AM
I get the "how fast" question all the time, and the "is it a fishing boat" because of how low slung it is. I just tell them no, it's not a fishing boat, and it's really not that fast, but if they run out of gas and need a tow in, I'll bring them to the dock at 43mph.... with their boat in tow.

bsloop
02-18-2013, 11:09 AM
"Are those lights bright?" as they point to my pair of WS485.
--- No, they are really loud though

"I bet that thing is fast" assuming my closed bow is a performance boat.
--- No, this is an inboard ski boat, think of it like a truck that can turn like a sports car and backs like a...(fill in your stereo typical bad driver anology.)

TxsRiverRat
02-18-2013, 12:02 PM
The dumbest comments I get unbelievably come from my dad.

“How many skiers can it pull?”

“I never tested it”

“My Sea Ray was very powerful and could pull 4 skiers at the same time...”

(Note: it was a 4 cylinder 170 hp)

====

More from my dad:

“What engine does your boat have?”

“Ford 351”

“Is that a V8?”

“Yes...”

“How fast can it go?”

“46...”

“That’s not so fast, my Sea Ray could do 42...”

“My boat is designed for skiing, not going fast...”

“So was the Sea Ray...”

“Dad, people couldn’t drive the Sea Ray in a straight line when I was skiing behind it...”

====

My boat could go on the ocean...”

“Dad, it takes a lot more than a closed cooling system to make a boat ocean worthy... Plus, if you took that tiny 18” boat outside the intercoastal waterway, you’d sink the SOB...”

“That’s not true!”

“OK, Whatever dad... “

=====

“How big is your boat?”

20’5”

“My Sea Ray was 19...”

“No, it was 17’8” and called 18”...

Dad goes digging through his hoarder pile of papers to see if he saved the 1981 Sea Ray model catalog...

======

And this crap goes on and on... And not just about boats... It applies to cars and beaches too...

Trying to convince my dad that there are better boats than his 81 Sea Ray and that there are better more beautiful beaches that Varadero Beach in Cuba is like turning on a desk fan on high, peeing into it and trying to avoid getting pee splashed all over you...

MC

jgraham37128
02-18-2013, 12:09 PM
I was only about 20+ years old right out of school and bought a new 21ft Marada cabin cruiser, back then a 21ft boat was a pretty big boat. I was at the gas station putting in premium gas in my new boat which was empty and the guy pumping gas beside me says wow I love this boat as he is walking into pay for his gas. That is the prettiest boat I've even seen, at this time I may have about 12 dollars in gas in it, on his way out of the store it was up to around $97.00 in gas and as he walked back by to get in his car he looked at the pump and said no way I would own that boat and got in his car and left. I still laugh about it to this day his facial expression when he seen the amount on the pump was priceless!

wheelerd
02-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Trying to convince my dad that there are better boats than his 81 Sea Ray and that there are better more beautiful beaches that Varadero Beach in Cuba is like turning on a desk fan on high, peeing into it and trying to avoid getting pee splashed all over you...

MC

Good one.:firejump:

TxsRiverRat
02-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Good one.:firejump:

My dad's 81 sea ray with his 4 cyl 170 HP upgraded mercruiser outdrive (he'd make sure to let u know that was an upgrade from the stock OMC) and closed cooling system was the best boat ever produced and better than any boat on this or any other forum...

I only wish he’d have been able to take it from Miami to Havana... :D

CCAnderson
02-18-2013, 01:14 PM
I think I have gotten them all usually in some sequence like this

Q: What do y'all fish for out of that thing?
A: Nothing?
Q: Then you must drink a lot
A: Nope, we ski a lot.
Q: Then where is the engine?
A: In the middle
Q: That don't make sense
A: I don't expect it to.
Q: What size engine
A: 5.7L
Q: Thats a big engine. How fast?
A: 36 mostly
Q: How many horse power?
A: Enough

And now my favorite question
Q: Bet you can can't yank the handle out of my hands
A: to which I always wager

TN Barefooter
02-18-2013, 02:26 PM
The best one I heard:
We were wipeing the boat down after a day of riding. the local dnr pulls up and says "I've never seen a roll bar on a boat before" then drives away....He thought the tower was a roll bar.[/QUOTE]

Around here we call those guys "possum cops" sorry I couldn't help myself.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-18-2013, 02:28 PM
The best one I heard:

Around here we call those guys "possum cops" sorry I couldn't help myself.[/QUOTE]

Tend to call them crappie-cops, but I really like possum-cops.:D:D:D

02ProstarSammyD
02-18-2013, 02:29 PM
I forgot to empty my bags one day. Was pumping them down at the washdown area and our local parky asked me if we had sank. Was the same cop who tried to gripe me out for having beer in a public park. Like sir I'm trying to get my beer to the lake......next time I'll drop it off the bridge in floatable containers before I get to the launch then go pick them up so it doesn't touch the air of the park. Nubsticks

mikeg205
02-18-2013, 02:39 PM
I think I have gotten them all usually in some sequence like this

Q: What do y'all fish for out of that thing?
A: Nothing?
Q: Then you must drink a lot
A: Nope, we ski a lot.
Q: Then where is the engine?
A: In the middle
Q: That don't make sense
A: I don't expect it to.
Q: What size engine
A: 5.7L
Q: Thats a big engine. How fast?
A: 36 mostly
Q: How many horse power?
A: Enough

And now my favorite question
Q: Bet you can can't yank the handle out of my hands
A: to which I always wager

Love it...

http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif
http://vipstylecars.com/forums/images/smilies/smiley-rofl.gif

TN Barefooter
02-18-2013, 02:40 PM
I forgot to empty my bags one day. Was pumping them down at the washdown area and our local parky asked me if we had sank. Was the same cop who tried to gripe me out for having beer in a public park. Like sir I'm trying to get my beer to the lake......next time I'll drop it off the bridge in floatable containers before I get to the launch then go pick them up so it doesn't touch the air of the park. Nubsticks

That's why they should stick to policing possums. :D:D:D

millpondkid
02-18-2013, 02:57 PM
My buddies ask how big is the motor? I say 351. They say is that a v8? I say yes. They say wow that's big how fast? I say low 40s. Then they look dumb founded. I say its a ski boat not a speed boat. Its made to pull. They say oh still not getting it. I say let me take ya out?

02ProstarSammyD
02-18-2013, 03:01 PM
people seem so blown away by that. We'll be riding back to the dock and a cruiser will fly by at 50 and people look at me like why'd you let him blow by you.

d2jp
02-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Honest truth:
I'd spent the day skiing with my wife and one of my friends in our '89 Prostar 190. My buddy always had I/O's and loves to ski. I let him drive my boat some, both casually and pulling me. We talked about the handling, the pulling ability, and general BS for about 5 hours out in the boat. Had a couple of beers, but not a big party day on the water.
As we returned to his dock, we tied up. He then looked at the motor box, sort of dumbfounded, like he just noticed it and said "What's that?" to which my wife deadpanned "That? Oh that's the Safety Cube". "Cool" he responded.
To this day, my wife and I will refer to the engine as the 'Safety Cube' and bust out laughing.

TayMC197
02-18-2013, 04:59 PM
I had my 190 in the lift at my friends house and in the second lift was his superair nautique 230. Neighbors down the way pull up in a bayliner and the wife was in the front with her wine cooler and cig in her hand. She yelled out she wanted to ski and Bruce the nautique owner was like thats the boat you want and points at my 190. She was like no, I need a bigger boat to pull me up. That little one wouldn't get a kid out of the water. All I could do was laugh at her stupidity.

I always get asked what the poll in the middle is. I normally says its my midget stripper poll.

onejdgreen
02-18-2013, 05:14 PM
I've had so many of the same questions, engine, speed, price... My favorites:

Idiot: You must do a lot of fishing in that thing?
Me: No, its never had a fishing pole in it and never will as long as I own it.
Idiot: Then why do you have those rod holders? (referring to my racks on the tower)

Idiot: Whats that wooden thing on the back?
Me: Its antique high performance hydrofoil. It allows the boat to plane out faster.
Idiot: Really? I wonder if I can get one of those on my Bayliner, but I would get a newer one...

Nick911
02-18-2013, 05:26 PM
Everyone asks how big the engine is and what it cost me. I've also been asked where the engine it and yes, how fast does it go.

pmkkdx
02-18-2013, 06:15 PM
I think I have heard most of those listed... my wife's family (aunts/uncles) have always been nuts about the water, owning numerous & various boats (all outboards or I/Os) and skied their entire life. I showed up at a family reunion with my old '83 S&S with powerslot, they were all amuzed I bought such a small boat since none of their's ever had the power to pull me up on a slalom (always came up on two & dropped one). They all wanted to ski, so I said get your gear and get in the water, while they were arguing who was going first ... they were surprised, when I tossed out 4 ropes and said you can all go first. They never gave me cr@p after I pulled them all up on doubles (which I was hesitant since I had never tried that).

also got the questions/comments from friends we took out "wow, when did you buy a new boat?" to which my answer was "oh, about 18 years ago and it was a few years old when I bought" ... MC OCD has advantages too

TxsRiverRat
02-18-2013, 06:33 PM
they were all amuzed I bought such a small boat since none of their's ever had the power to pull me up on a slalom

LOL - "who could ski behind that tiny little boat...?" :D

thatsmrmastercraft
02-18-2013, 06:37 PM
My brother with the bass boat asked me to race. I said I would rather play tug of war.:rolleyes:

Lars
02-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Putting up the extended pylon one one day...

"What's that? Is that a pole for dancing?"

willyt
02-18-2013, 11:07 PM
having an xstar i usually get the "nice boat man how fast she go?"

i got sick of answering honestly so i started saying... eh... dont know man, people start flying out of the boat about 115 mph

KahunaCraft
02-18-2013, 11:09 PM
I answer the Canadian Tire comment with...'Yes, they are in isle 7, next to the Sky Hooks and Left Handed Screwdrivers'...

93Prostar190
02-18-2013, 11:36 PM
I used to love the why do you need dual speedo's n this boat?

Not really a dumb question ..... But ........

bturner2
02-19-2013, 07:54 AM
The craziest one I got was while filling up at a gas station with my TriStar years back. Had a guy ask me if the loading bars were the exhaust pipes for the boat. Have no clue how he could possibly think that but I have witnesses to back up the story.

I get all the same comments but the fishing comments seem to be the most popular. I think it's easier for people to understand the tower as a fishing device rather than something for skiing.

People also seem to think all my boats are new when they see them. They're typically surprised when I tell them my boat's 6 years old. Makes you wonder what they think a six year old boat should look like.

mikeg205
02-19-2013, 12:12 PM
People also seem to think all my boats are new when they see them. They're typically surprised when I tell them my boat's 6 years old. Makes you wonder what they think a six year old boat should look like.

I get the same thing on my 18 year old boat... The folks around the lake up in Canada where I visit gossip that "I am the guy who really takes extreme care of his boat" - I always laugh when I hear that... Funny they did not say that - even though I have a 1963 14' Starcraft with a 1993 Johnson 30HP outboard that runs like new.

This is a great thread... :D

TxsRiverRat
02-19-2013, 12:23 PM
I read my 1st post to my dad last night when I was over there... My mom was about to pee her pants laughing, but my dad was not amused...

And he still claimed Varadero beach was the best on Earth.

Forrest-X45
02-19-2013, 05:17 PM
I seem to get all the usual dumb questions but the oddest one to date occured while we were drying off the boat. A guy came up and asked - "I gotta know, how many cup holders does that thing have?" He had to be joking to some point.

My buddy loves to see the crazy looks on the fisherman's faces when I have the barefoot boom out and they ask what is that? He loves to tell them it is a new state of the art downrigger. Once we come clean and tell them it's barefooting they have lots of questions on how you waterski without waterskies.

onejdgreen
02-20-2013, 10:31 AM
My buddy loves to see the crazy looks on the fisherman's faces when I have the barefoot boom out and they ask what is that? He loves to tell them it is a new state of the art downrigger. Once we come clean and tell them it's barefooting they have lots of questions on how you waterski without waterskies.

I forgot about that one. Get lots of questions and weird looks from people who have never seen a boom or someone barefoot. We've even had people ask what type of skis we use to put up that much spray when footing!

shepherd
02-20-2013, 02:36 PM
"You going to put a tower on it?" :mad:

pram
02-20-2013, 05:09 PM
"You going to put a tower on it?" :mad:

You hang out with Stu?

thatsmrmastercraft
02-20-2013, 05:16 PM
You hang out with Stu?

:D:D:D

shepherd
02-20-2013, 07:19 PM
Not really about ski boats, but a lady friend once asked me this one about slalom skiing: "Why do you make the rope shorter if it's harder that way?"

TN Barefooter
02-20-2013, 08:03 PM
I read my 1st post to my dad last night when I was over there... My mom was about to pee her pants laughing, but my dad was not amused...

And he still claimed Varadero beach was the best on Earth.

Having been raised in south Florida that is a classic.:D:D:D

Theclarks1111
02-21-2013, 09:17 PM
I had a guy follow me into the parking lot at the boat launch, get out and say, 'man I never seen one of these up close. I just had to take a look." He asked me the same questions, motor, top speed, price, etc... Then he leans over and looks under the boat at the prop and says " man there is nothing protecting that thing, that seems really silly. Why wouldn't they build something in to protect it!" He was very upset that such a nice boat had nothing protecting the prop.

Great thread... subscribed!

Ron Grover
02-21-2013, 10:00 PM
The dumbest question I got came from a family member. "Dad did you pack the Cheetos?"

kalamalka
02-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Dumbest question was last year. A guy at the gas station says "i bet that can pull a lot of weight" i answer, "yep its made to tow" he then asks can if he could hire me to take 6 pallets of grass turf from the boat luanch to his cabin. I said that i probably could if he had a good stable raft to pull. He tells me that he doesnt trust me pulling the grass turf, they would have to go into my boat. "i have some tarps so the seats dont get dirty" he says.

tex
02-22-2013, 09:07 PM
The #1 of all time is when the stranger asks to go to the lake with you! Right dude!

tdjaster
02-22-2013, 10:41 PM
#1 Question, by far: "Is that fast?"

#2. Actual conversation in my driveway last summer while I prepped the boat to head to the lake.

Old Man Neighbor: (looking at the tower as he walks past) "You going fishin'? I bet that holds a lot of poles."
Me: "Oh, no, we don't fish at all...just ski. That's to tie a rope on for wakeboarding and skiing."
Old Man Neighbor: "Where do you go fishing?"

#3. Person looks at the boat and tower and has a mild knowledge of watersports. "Oh is that for that waveboarding?"

#4. "Wakeboarding? Is that were you're on your knees?" No, that's kneeboarding.

#5. "Wakeskating? How do you ride the board without any feet?" Good question.

Bizz238
02-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Most often question: Why is the observer's seat inverted?

But by far the dumbest one I had was last summer:

I had a friend preparing for a pass when this guy comes in our way waving and screaming at us on his seadoo...I sunk my skier and stopped (swearing) and asked the guy if he was in any trouble...

He said: ''Man be carefull overthere! It's pretty shallow...didn't you see all the red and yellow warning buoys????

I have to admit, at that very moment, just for an instant, I thought of ending his pain and suffering.... But instead we went off laughing...(of course we invited him to stay there and observe for a few minutes).

orbeamlb
02-23-2013, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=Bizz238;910809]Most often question: Why is the observer's seat inverted?

I had a friend preparing for a pass when this guy comes in our way waving and screaming at us on his seadoo...I sunk my skier and stopped (swearing) and asked the guy if he was in any trouble...

He said: ''Man be carefull overthere! It's pretty shallow...didn't you see all the red and yellow warning buoys????

Sounds like somebody didn't take a boating safety course?

wheelerd
02-23-2013, 12:00 PM

Priceless:rolleyes:

Theclarks1111
02-24-2013, 03:29 PM
That's hilarious

BWB-745-
02-25-2013, 08:29 PM
Most often question: Why is the observer's seat inverted?

I have to admit, at that very moment, just for an instant, I thought of ending his pain and suffering.... But instead we went off laughing...(of course we invited him to stay there and observe for a few minutes).

Sounds like the most courteous PWC in the history of PWCs.

drschemel
02-25-2013, 09:09 PM
Sounds like the most courteous PWC in the history of PWCs.

No doubt about that. Most of them would have started zig-zagging through your wake! Oh yeah, "real" Mastercrafts don't make wakes!! Sorry to all you v-drive guys, couldn't resist!:D

Bizz238
02-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Ha! Ha! Good one!!!

JustinLoFlow
02-26-2013, 08:58 PM
"When can you take me fishing?"

pkskier
02-26-2013, 10:51 PM
I've had all the usual questions about boats, but the funniest question was when we were setting up a portable ski course. There was an older couple on a pontoon boat watching was put the course in the water, when we finished and were getting ready to ski they drove over to us. There question - Hey, what kind of trout line is that. Almost fell out of the boat.

Theclarks1111
02-27-2013, 07:48 AM
That's great. Everyday, I look forward to a new post on this thread!!

Barefooter92
02-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Wife was having a yard sale and the boat was in the driveway someone offered her $1,500 cash! She knew better and just laughed. He then told her he was looking for a good walleye boat to take to Lake Erie.

mikeg205
02-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Wife was having a yard sale and the boat was in the driveway someone offered her $1,500 cash! She knew better and just laughed. He then told her he was looking for a good walleye boat to take to Lake Erie.

Looks some walleyes will be safe... for awhile... ;)

TxsRiverRat
02-27-2013, 11:45 AM

You could use the ski locker for a live well, right?

boogie420
02-27-2013, 11:47 AM
wasn't asked to me directly but i remember reading a thread on planet nautique where a guy ordered a new g23 then started a thread saying he wants to ski and asked if it was a good ski boat.

turbofresh
02-27-2013, 11:51 AM
me-"no shoes please"

them- "NO SHOES?!?"

TxsRiverRat
02-27-2013, 12:10 PM
me-"no shoes please"

them- "NO SHOES?!?"

Ohhhhh... Anyone gets on my boat with shoes this season is gonna get punched in the ****

pmkkdx
02-27-2013, 12:14 PM
Ohhhhh... Anyone gets on my boat with shoes this season is gonna get punched in the ****

what if they are female? 8p

TxsRiverRat
02-27-2013, 12:48 PM

LMAO - good question!

Cobra Rob
02-27-2013, 01:47 PM

Falcon punch..

But yes as we have gone back to the dock to pick up the straggler girls who are always late and never on time, I usually nose in with the pickle fork and have them just quickly board that way.

They look so offended when I tell them to take off their shoes/heels/dirty rock embedded flip flops etc as I float 4ft from the dock actually waiting on them do it rather than just saying yeah yeah.

Also brings up the point of girls bringing enough baggage for a 2 week trip when I already have towels and everything they could need on board.. Unless it's filled with Ice or drinks leave that crap in your car. The x45 has a ton of storage but I need you going in and out of your crap 90 times in a day either.

TxsRiverRat
02-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Falcon punch..

Also brings up the point of girls bringing enough baggage for a 2 week trip when I already have towels and everything they could need on board.. Unless it's filled with Ice or drinks leave that crap in your car. The x45 has a ton of storage but I need you going in and out of your crap 90 times in a day either.

LMAO

And oh yeahhhh - that’s annoying!! This is what I love about a private ski lake - leave your stuff on shore, you'll be back here in 15 minutes...

eficalibrator
02-27-2013, 01:57 PM

This problem is easily solved by owning a tournament direct drive instead of a houseboat pretending to be a surf/wake boat. Once they realize they can _either_ bring their own giant bag _or_ actually have a place to sit, it kind of works itself out.

Kyle
02-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Ohhhhh... Anyone gets on my boat with shoes this season is gonna get punched in the nuts

I will get in your boat with my boots on if I want........

***************!!!!!!!!!! I punch first :D:D:D

TxsRiverRat
02-27-2013, 02:17 PM
I will get in your boat with my boots on if I want........

************!!!!!!!!!! I punch first :D:D:D

^^LMAO - my boat **I** go 1st! :D

Kyle
02-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Falcon punch..

But yes as we have gone back to the dock to pick up the straggler girls who are always late and never on time, I usually nose in with the pickle fork and have them just quickly board that way.

They look so offended when I tell them to take off their shoes/heels/dirty rock embedded flip flops etc as I float 4ft from the dock actually waiting on them do it rather than just saying yeah yeah.

LOL

You are picking up my kind of woman right there.......

bbymgr
02-27-2013, 02:54 PM

Sounds like they were from Hicksville! :D

turbofresh
02-27-2013, 06:04 PM
so can this thing keep up to that malibu out there?

MASTIQUE
02-27-2013, 08:23 PM
New one today when someone asked what kind of boat I have.....how many tubes can you pull at the same time....

....none

thatsmrmastercraft
02-27-2013, 08:31 PM
New one today when someone asked what kind of boat I have.....how many tubes can you pull at the same time....

....none

:purplaugh :purplaugh :purplaugh :purplaugh

pram
02-27-2013, 08:56 PM

....none

what's the point then of having a boat that you can't Ski or Tube Behind???

I guess you could always fish with it

SunCoast 83
02-27-2013, 11:21 PM
My dad's 81 sea ray with his 4 cyl 170 HP upgraded mercruiser outdrive (he'd make sure to let u know that was an upgrade from the stock OMC) and closed cooling system was the best boat ever produced and better than any boat on this or any other forum...

I only wish he’d have been able to take it from Miami to Havana... :D

I had to read this today again for the laughs. Awesome!!!!!:D:D

Aric'sX15
03-16-2013, 12:28 PM
I literally just got "are them floaties up there" talking about the speakers. Hahahaha

Theclarks1111
03-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Everyone is always more intrigued by the fact that they have lights built in them than the fact that they are actually up there as speakers.

ProStar200
03-17-2013, 12:21 AM
I find it amazing how stupid people can be. Obviously you are not a true boater, or Water sports enthusiast if you don't know what the best Boats on the market are built and used for. The old saying of "there is no stupid question", unfortunately you just asked it. We own and take pride in the best boats designed and built on the water. Sit back, look, don't touch and no stupid questions please.

tdjaster
03-17-2013, 12:28 AM
I find it amazing how stupid people can be. Obviously you are not a true boater, or Water sports enthusiast if you don't know what the best Boats on the market are built and used for. The old saying of "there is no stupid question", unfortunately you just asked it. We own and take pride in the best boats designed and built on the water. Sit back, look, don't touch and no stupid questions please.

Think of how stupid the average person is and then realize that half of the people you come in contact with are stupider than that.

pap
03-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Everyone thinks they're a better than average driver.... ;)

SkiDaddy
03-17-2013, 09:02 AM
Everyone thinks they're a better than average driver.... ;)

Yep, everyone driving slower than you is an idiot and everyone driving faster than you is crazy! :)

Duane D
03-17-2013, 10:41 AM

Ha! I always heard "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people that ask questions"! Lol

So true in this thread.

pram
03-17-2013, 01:04 PM

Wow, just wow

thatsmrmastercraft
03-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Wow, just wow

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Rockman
03-17-2013, 01:09 PM

Ok, I am stupid then because I have no idea what the best boat for Tuna Fishing is ...:rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing your feelings with the group...:rolleyes:

pram
03-17-2013, 01:14 PM
Do you guys have a part of the country that always embarrasses the rest when they talk?

k2knapke
03-17-2013, 01:21 PM
Whats a boat like this worth? $5,000... I wish i could find one.. LOL

Rockman
03-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Do you guys have a part of the country that always embarrasses the rest when they talk?

Question for me Paul or for the original poster of #107?

I am not the one talking down on people...

pram
03-17-2013, 01:53 PM
John, I would never think such a thing of you brother

I was referring to the original poster

Stefan
03-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Yep, everyone driving slower than you is an idiot and everyone driving faster than you is crazy! :)

Haven't seen any crazy peolple in a while :D:D:D

Rockman
03-17-2013, 02:00 PM
John, I would never think such a thing of you brother

I was referring to the original poster

Sometimes we all get a bit irritated with people about things that happen or are said but I am the first to admit that I not an "expert" in any area but I do learn new things everyday to help me get closer to "expert" classification. :D

Stefan
03-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Falcon punch..

...with that happening, they WILL take them off and after that I make them stand up on the seat, usually in the bow, so they don't hit the platform when I hit the throttle... ;) backwards in that case...

...after that they're usually happy not to have worn their high heel shoes... :D

ProStar200
03-20-2013, 12:50 AM

Not sure where your going with that statement.

Aric'sX15
03-20-2013, 01:25 AM
Damage has been done! i saw what you said pram :D

wheelerd
03-20-2013, 01:26 AM
Yup, I saw it too!
A nice friendly exchange between us Canucks!:D

pram
03-20-2013, 01:29 AM
I typed what I thought, then thought, what is it going to do positive. So I deleted it. I knew though that it was up there long enough for others to have seen it LOL

Aric'sX15
03-20-2013, 01:30 AM
You Canucks would be ANGRY people if you lived in Texas! haha. if i had a BF200 where i was last weekend, i would get something like "I never knew Mastercraft made fishing boats"-insert texas accent
Still cant believe some older gentleman asked me if i had "floaties" on my tower. hahaha

BROUSSARD
03-20-2013, 01:33 AM
Why don't you want more seats in the bow?

Why don't you slalom from the tower?

pram
03-20-2013, 01:39 AM
You Canucks would be ANGRY people if you lived in Texas! haha. if i had a BF200 where i was last weekend, i would get something like "I never knew Mastercraft made fishing boats"-insert texas accent
Still cant believe some older gentleman asked me if i had "floaties" on my tower. hahaha

lol, but that is funny, at least to me. And certainly not something to belittle others over

Aric'sX15
03-20-2013, 01:42 AM
I chuckled to myself, and laughed when i got back in the truck. told him they were speakers, nothing worth getting angry over.

orbeamlb
03-20-2013, 10:22 AM

I'm surprised I didn't get the fishing boat question about my PS200 Saturday on Lake Austin. There was a bass tournament going on. I bet the boom would have caught attention.

Nelsonjeff79
03-20-2013, 06:33 PM

....none

This is also a pet-peeve of mine: Friends who come to the lake expecting to ride the boob-tubes all day. I try to get everyone up on a wakeboard, so much more fun than riding on a tube.

tdjaster
03-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Ha! I always heard "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people that ask questions"! Lol

So true in this thread.

I used to tell my students that!

sprite
03-20-2013, 07:06 PM
best is when i started putting up the boom and my friend who wake boards(a little) gets all excited for the "fly high", then i drop it down and tell him that its for me and you wake board off the pylon

agarabaghi
03-26-2013, 09:57 AM
What are those things (pointing to fat sacs)....

After explaining they still have no clue...

After seeing us ride then figured it out....

mzimme
03-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Where's the cup holder back here?

wakeX2wake
03-26-2013, 10:52 AM
my favorite was an older "gentleman" at a gas station once had an out and out argument with me over the top speed of my boat to which point i had to just walk away. it went something like this:

him: sharp boat there son.
me: thank you, its a fun toy.
him: what kind of motor does that thing have in it.
me: its a 350 indmar. basically same block that's in my truck (2007 5.7L tundra).
him: bet that dude's pretty fast then.
me: haha not really... top speed is about 40.
him: naaaa it'll go faster than that.
me: haha naaa 40 is about it.
him: you're telling me all you can get out of a 350 is 40mph?
me: (growing annoyed with his tone) haha yep... 40 is it for this boat.
him: sounds to me like you don't know how to drive it then.
me: (highly annoyed at this point) i would say i'd love for you to show me how to drive my boat sometime but that would just be a lie.
him: sounds like you need to learn a thing or two about it
me: naa i'm pretty dang sure there's not a thing in this world you could teach me about driving my boat faster but you have a good day.

i probably lost a good opportunity to educated part of the masses about the design and purpose of inboard boats but i felt my efforts would be quickly lost.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-26-2013, 10:55 AM
my favorite was an older "gentleman" at a gas station once had an out and out argument with me over the top speed of my boat to which point i had to just walk away. it went something like this:

me: its a 350 indmar. basically same block that's in my truck (2007 5.7L tundra).
me: (highly annoyed at this point) i would say i'd love for you to show me how to drive my boat sometime but that would just be a lie.
me: naa i'm pretty dang sure there's not a thing in this world you could teach me about driving my boat faster but you have a good day.

i probably lost a good opportunity to educated part of the masses about the design and purpose of inboard boats but i felt my efforts would be quickly lost.

Nice level of restraint.........must have caught you on a good day.:rolleyes:

wakeX2wake
03-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Nice level of restraint.........must have caught you on a good day.:rolleyes:

with my boat hooked up headed to the water... i'd say it was on an uptick :D ... thinking back i'd would have like to have taken him behind the conversational woodshed and highlighted to him everything he didn't know about everything i could think of but... i was happy and on my way to the water

thatsmrmastercraft
03-26-2013, 11:11 AM
with my boat hooked up headed to the water... i'd say it was on an uptick :D ... thinking back i'd would have like to have taken him behind the conversational woodshed and highlighted to him everything he didn't know about everything i could think of but... i was happy and on my way to the water

Just as well it worked out that way. You couldn't have taught him anything no matter how hard you tried. I have a brother with a glitter-rocket bas$hole boat that will go 58 mph. I finally found a way to shut him up this winter when I reminded him that my snowmobile will go more than two times as fast as his boat.:rolleyes:

02ProstarSammyD
03-26-2013, 11:13 AM

Should have told him you changed from 3.07 to 5.38 gears in the boat. he would have understood then lol

wakeX2wake
03-26-2013, 11:19 AM
haha everytime a b******* owner starts to brag about how fast they can go i just say "we should tie 'em up sometime..."... kind of my ode the classic redneck challange of hooking two pickups to one another until someone gets immasculated or partially destroys an otherwise good truck... being that type of mentality is right down the persons alley i'm having the conversation with...

i'm pretty sure he would have only been able to equate those two numbers to skoal prices

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Same basics: fishing and racing

FISHING: Pulling the old X10 thru a residential neighborhood, a guy and his young son are standing by the road. In a nice teaching moment the dad kneels next to his son and says "See that (pointing at the tower)? That's for fishing." I felt my foot move to the brake...

Racing: X10 again. Idling thru a no-wake zone a beat up I/O bow rider with some of Ohio's finest pass going the other way. Next thing I see is them whipping around and plowing bow high (still in NW zone). As I watch them with my 'what an idiot' face on, they pull up along side me and say "hey...you wanna race!?!" Idiot face justified.

Former MC area dealer...so they sold and serviced MC's: Called the service dept to inquire about some parts / service for the X10. The service guy says " that's an outboard, right?" CLICK.

thatsmrmastercraft
03-26-2013, 12:02 PM

FISHING: Pulling the old X10 thru a residential neighborhood, a guy and his young son are standing by the road. In a nice teaching moment the dad kneels next to his son and says "See that (pointing at the tower)? That's for fishing." I felt my foot move to the brake...

Racing: X10 again. Idling thru a no-wake zone a beat up I/O bow rider with some of Ohio's finest pass going the other way. Next thing I see is them whipping around and plowing bow high (still in NW zone). As I watch them with my 'what an idiot' face on, they pull up along side me and say "hey...you wanna race!?!" Idiot face justified.

Former MC area dealer...so they sold and serviced MC's: Called the service dept to inquire about some parts / service for the X10. The service guy says " that's an outboard, right?" CLICK.

http://renegade-cruisers.net/bb/images/smilies/rofl.gifhttp://renegade-cruisers.net/bb/images/smilies/rofl.gif

Double D
03-26-2013, 01:44 PM

Best ones in a while!! Thanks!

setidball
03-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Parked next to another truck with a hitch receiver, both of us returning to our vehicles at the same time…
Him; “What do you tow?”
Me; “A ski boat.”
Him; “Oh, that’s too bad.”
Me; “Hu??...” (My wit is not super fast)
Him; “I pull a camping trailer.”
Me; “Oh, that’s too bad. How do you pull the ski boat then?” (Surprised myself with that one :))
…End of conversation

Sodar
03-26-2013, 01:59 PM
I've not gotten many comments. Usually, I just get the boring and typical fishing comments.

I'll tell you one thing, wake boats are hated where I boat. Most call them roll bars boats and have extreme disgust toward any boat resemble a wake producing ride. Typically, my boat falls into the category. I usually get the comment as I pull up to the bar like "I bet that boat throws one of those big wakes that will swamp my boat, ruin my dock and kill my first born child". I usually respond that this boat is designed for small wakes and that I hate big wakes more than them. They usually think I am just yanking their chain, so they retreat for another beer.

eurosysytem0
03-26-2013, 02:01 PM
Not boat related but when I was in the Air Force I was asked how, on a Hercules C130, the four propellers were connected to the landing gear wheels to move the aircraft forward!

thatsmrmastercraft
03-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Not boat related but when I was in the Air Force I was asked how, on a Hercules C130, the four propellers were connected to the landing gear wheels to move the aircraft forward!

A big chain, right?:rolleyes:

pram
03-26-2013, 03:25 PM

I phoned our MC dealer here for tune up parts for my old 91, the parts guy had no idea that it had a 351 in it, kept asking me if I was sure that it wasn't a 350.

TxsRiverRat
03-26-2013, 03:29 PM

Sounds like you ran into my dad... Did he tell you his 81 sea ray went 41-42 with only 170 hp? :D

drschemel
03-26-2013, 04:16 PM
I phoned our MC dealer here for tune up parts for my old 91, the parts guy had no idea that it had a 351 in it, kept asking me if I was sure that it wasn't a 350.

to paraphrase Michael Keaton in Mr Mom, "350, 351 - what ever it takes."

madcityskier
03-26-2013, 04:22 PM

Cessna with skis on it landed on the ice in front of my folks house. The blonde neighbor looked out,"That was stupid.". We asked what she meant. She pointed at the plane laughed and asked,"How does he think he'll get enough traction to take off on all that ice and snow?". And then she gets offended by blonde jokes.

Duane D
03-26-2013, 08:59 PM
Best thread of the winter award! I look forward to reading this one every day. I've only had my MC for 2 1/2 seasons now so I have only gotten a couple of the "be that thing is fast" comments. I did see a guy loading a Supra one day at the ramp and got a little crooked as he settled on the bunks. He gunned it to straighten up and his prop immediately chewed into the corner of the prop guard. Worst sound I have ever heard!

88 PS190
03-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Cessna with skis on it landed on the ice in front of my folks house. The blonde neighbor looked out,"That was stupid.". We asked what she meant. She pointed at the plane laughed and asked,"How does he think he'll get enough traction to take off on all that ice and snow?". And then she gets offended by blonde jokes.

Where's my giant treadmill?

DemolitionMan
03-26-2013, 09:41 PM
Should have told him you changed from 3.07 to 5.38 gears in the boat. he would have understood then lol

And a shift kit and flowmasters.:D

Double D
03-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Best thread of the winter award! I look forward to reading this one every day. I've only had my MC for 2 1/2 seasons now so I have only gotten a couple of the "be that thing is fast" comments. I did see a guy loading a Supra one day at the ramp and got a little crooked as he settled on the bunks. He gunned it to straighten up and his prop immediately chewed into the corner of the prop guard. Worst sound I have ever heard!

Thank you, thank you very much... :D:D

Panda Cub
03-27-2013, 12:44 AM
Nice boat, is that a 2010?
My response: 1995

bstewart0529
03-27-2013, 09:39 AM
I love this thread. My favorite is the midget stripper pole. that was the best one so far. 2nd favorite was the old man tell the guy he didn't know how to drive the boat fast enough. that one was pretty good too.

toolz
03-28-2013, 02:25 AM
The bass boaters are the most fun. They never talk about what they caught, only about how fast their boat is. I was at the gas station on the way home from the lake, my 6 year old son (now 24) was "helping" me. Mr. bass boater was at the next pump, totally Rangered out (hat, coat, stickers, etc.) My never-bashful son says "I rode on the tube today!" Mr. Ranger says "my boat's too fast for a tube" (to a 6 year old!) I said "so is mine, I just throttle back a little". Ranger dude didn't want to talk any more.

pram
03-28-2013, 05:02 PM
The bass boaters are the most fun. They never talk about what they caught, only about how fast their boat is. I was at the gas station on the way home from the lake, my 6 year old son (now 24) was "helping" me. Mr. bass boater was at the next pump, totally Rangered out (hat, coat, stickers, etc.) My never-bashful son says "I rode on the tube today!" Mr. Ranger says "my boat's too fast for a tube" (to a 6 year old!) I said "so is mine, I just throttle back a little". Ranger dude didn't want to talk any more.

LOL, now that is funny

Traxx822
04-07-2013, 05:34 PM
What a great thread. However, I didn't see anyone post the one I got about 3 times last year.

1st instance, We were eating lunch in the local restaurant on the river. To my surprise after lunch I went back out to the dock to find two old men IN my boat.
ME: What are you guys doing?
Them: Your boat is sinking!!
Me: Why do you think that?
Them: The back end is sunk so low and we have had the bilge pump on for 5 minutes but nothing is coming out???
Me: Please turn my bilge off and get out of my boat.
Them: (Puzzled)
Me: I jump in and open the rear to show them full fat sacks in each rear locker
Them: Why would you do that?
Me: Just watch.

2nd instance: DNR stops me.
DNR: Your boat is sinking
Me: Is that all you stopped me for?
DNR: Well it is taking on water we can plainly see that you need to get to shore before your bilge pump burns up (them assuming it was on)
Me: I gotta go, my boats not sinking.

Other than that I have had people waving at me from shore, stop while I was changing sides to surf and asking if I was taking on water. I guess I should be happy they are concerned but it is funny

chriscraftmatt1976
04-15-2013, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=Kyle;909734]LMFAO @ at Rockman having a world record boat and pics being taken.

No it's a '93 and 20 years old.

Oh well that is a real old boat then, it looks brand new.

Thank you for the complement.....

Get that too. "Is that a new boat? What year is it?" also a 93 btw.

mzimme
06-28-2013, 12:49 PM
I was out on my boat the other weekend with a friend of mine who is one of those guys that thinks he just knows everything about everything. Well I met up with a buddy on the lake who owns an 07 Supra Gravity Games edition with all the decals on it. One of the decals is a giant "VORTEC" emblem on the side. My buddy looks at me and goes... "Dude, his boats f*cking supercharged!" to which I respond, "No it isn't". He insisted that it was supercharged since it was a Vortec. I had to explain to him that this was not a Vortec supercharger, and he gave his patented "dumb" look on his face when he realized he was wrong.

I have a lot of those moments with that guy...

CantRepeat
06-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Dumbest thing anyone every ask me about my boat was what's in your cooler. Boy did that turn into a mess!!! :D

thatsmrmastercraft
06-28-2013, 12:53 PM
Dumbest thing anyone every ask me was what's in your cooler. Boy did that turn into a mess!!! :D

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

jk13
06-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Dumbest thing anyone every ask me about my boat was what's in your cooler. Boy did that turn into a mess!!! :D

Hadn't dumped the body parts yet? Hate when that happens.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-28-2013, 01:07 PM

Good thing they didn't ask you about your surf wake.........

CantRepeat
06-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Good thing they didn't ask you about your surf wake.........

Peter, you know me too well. Look for it in another thread, time now. ;)

blakehardesty
06-28-2013, 01:16 PM

That's funny.

TxsRiverRat
06-28-2013, 01:41 PM
I did have a 'smart' question asked of me just last week...

Flat bed tow truck driver asked me how long my trailer was because he had a call about a stranded boater with a flat.

nickespi
06-28-2013, 02:58 PM
"Why do you need a roll cage on your boat? I thought those were for dune buggies and sprint cars."

deminimis
06-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Whilst listing badly at the dock: "Is you boat sinking?" To be fair, they probably think taking perfectly good boats and filling them with water is something short of an intelligent act.

deminimis
06-28-2013, 03:51 PM
...Which it is, but I ain't the sharpest tool in the refrigerator.

drschemel
06-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Took my high school aged son and some of his friends (boys and girls) out the other day. While they were getting things ready to wakeboard, one of the girls asked (about the motor box), "What is this for, is it where you keep the fish?" Gotta love living in Bass Master central!

mikeg205
06-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Took my high school aged son and some of his friends (boys and girls) out the other day. While they were getting things ready to wakeboard, one of the girls asked (about the motor box), "What is this for, is it where you keep the fish?" Gotta love living in Bass Master central!

Bass Ballast - hmmmm spray some Totally Amazing Cleaner on the fish - let it flop around and clean boat ;)

madcityskier
06-28-2013, 08:29 PM

This may be the best post I've ever seen on teamtalk.

swatguy
06-29-2013, 01:29 AM
Double post dang iphone

swatguy
06-29-2013, 01:38 AM

That is awesome

I got this the other day and had a chuckle at their expense. I had a boat pull up next to us while on a buddies boat and ask if we were sinking. Nice 35 ft Sea Ray. I was in scarcastic mood being around a bunch of buddies that throw shots at each other all day so I said man I hope so. The people on the Sea Ray all look at each other kind of puzzled and notice my kids in the boat. They say your bilge pumps are spewing water all over the place we need to get you in pronto. I said well its about time those start overflowing, we have been trying to sink this bad boy for like 15 min and we are finally starting to list to the side as planned. They again look stunned. I then explained what we were doing asked if they wanted a drink. They sat and watched everyone surf for while and we got one of their friends up. Great time.

tr6coug
06-29-2013, 03:42 AM
Boat on the trailer and filling up at a gas station, some guy says...

"Nice boat, how fast does it go?"

I told him 80. :)

AlbertaSurfer
06-29-2013, 03:56 AM
So... None of you fish on your boats?? Like ever? I love standing on the swim platform and casting for pike while my ballast fills. I don't take them in the boat, but I'm not gonna not fish while in the water.

JohnnyB
06-29-2013, 10:20 AM
taking perfectly good boats and filling them with water is something short of an intelligent act.

:D

Quote of the month....struck me as funny

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

lukedeuce
06-29-2013, 10:34 AM
This happened last weekend at the river we go to. I had literally just launched in the harbor where the boat houses were and was waiting at the dock for my fiance to park the truck. A gentlemen that owns a house came up to me and started talking to me about the Mastercraft:

Him: Oh man, I have been watching you the past couple seasons pulling all the people around, I have been keeping an eye out all season for you to come out with that boat so i could talk to you. This thing is sweet
Me: thanks! it's not the prettiest out here, but we enjoy our time with it.
Him: well, it still looks great, what year is it? I bet it hauls a$$
Me: 1983, it gets up and goes. especially when i am pulling a couple people. i've got the 351 and powerslot to thank for that.
Him: (flabbergasted of the size engine) a 351? did that come in it??
Me: yea, 351 PCM. I have put a little money in it, but just routine maintenance things. All stock. (this is about time my fiance gets back and my friends pull up)
Him: Yea, i have a jet boat back in the slip. It'll do 50+ easily.
Me: well that's good. I get up to low 40's, but i don't usually push it that hard often.
Him: Only 40? Your joking. That thing should compete against my boat. you must not have the right prop on it.
Me: It's not a go fast boat...made for skiing. I've got a 4 blade prop on it.
Him: well you should try to prop it up and use the trim. (i just blankly stare at him for a little bit) I wanted to invite you out to the drag races we are having for the Freedom Festival on the 3rd. We're going to line up a bunch of jet boats throughout the day and run them. Should be fun and i know that boat will do great if you get the right prop on it.
Me: thanks, but im going to pass. I would only be interested if we were pulling several skiers at the same time.
Him: No. No, skiers. Can't ski behind a jet boat...Stop out and see me on the 3rd, i think we'll get you entered in and see what we can do about the prop.
Me: ...Ok Sir. See you then

As he is walking away, my fiance looks and me and says "What an idiot. He must not know anything about boats"

millpondkid
06-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Prop it up and use the trim.....omg

wheelerd
06-29-2013, 11:33 AM
So... None of you fish on your boats?? Like ever? I love standing on the swim platform and casting for pike while my ballast fills. I don't take them in the boat, but I'm not gonna not fish while in the water.

Do it all the time. Did it yesterday in fact. My son caught a pike. My owner's manual doesn't say, "No fishing allowed in a MasterCraft.":D:D However, I respect those who chose not to for whatever reason.

Traxx822
06-29-2013, 12:48 PM
How fast is it seems to be a very common question. It really is hard to answer that same question all the time..

Kinda getting tired of hearing it.

I mean do MasterCrafts look like fast boats? In my opinion no, they don't look all that fast to me.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

MI_Corey
06-29-2013, 12:57 PM
I mainly get "where's the ladder?" Of course how fast is it and what's that pole in the middle for come up often too.

Nelsonjeff79
06-29-2013, 01:04 PM
I mainly get "where's the ladder?" Of course how fast is it and what's that pole in the middle for come up often too.

The follow up question from people asking that the pole in the middle is for is the best...."isn't that a bit dangerous, I mean for the people sitting in the back of the boat, looks like it would decapate them" well...thats why you have seating on the observer seat and the bow smart guy.

madcityskier
06-29-2013, 03:17 PM
The follow up question from people asking that the pole in the middle is for is the best...."isn't that a bit dangerous, I mean for the people sitting in the back of the boat, looks like it would decapate them" well...thats why you have seating on the observer seat and the bow smart guy.

You have seating in the bow? Holy Crap! That's a great idea. I don't think I could fit many people under the bow of my boat.

Snipe
06-29-2013, 03:55 PM
You have seating in the bow? Holy Crap! That's a great idea. I don't think I could fit many people under the bow of my boat.
This has to be the best one yet.:eek:

ohiojohn
06-30-2013, 12:42 AM
Guys says to me the other day, referring to my tower, what kind of outriggers you have their !!

Double D
06-30-2013, 09:32 PM
This happened last weekend at the river we go to. I had literally just launched in the harbor where the boat houses were and was waiting at the dock for my fiance to park the truck. A gentlemen that owns a house came up to me and started talking to me about the Mastercraft:

Him: Oh man, I have been watching you the past couple seasons pulling all the people around, I have been keeping an eye out all season for you to come out with that boat so i could talk to you. This thing is sweet
Me: thanks! it's not the prettiest out here, but we enjoy our time with it.
Him: well, it still looks great, what year is it? I bet it hauls a$$
Me: 1983, it gets up and goes. especially when i am pulling a couple people. i've got the 351 and powerslot to thank for that.
Him: (flabbergasted of the size engine) a 351? did that come in it??
Me: yea, 351 PCM. I have put a little money in it, but just routine maintenance things. All stock. (this is about time my fiance gets back and my friends pull up)
Him: Yea, i have a jet boat back in the slip. It'll do 50+ easily.
Me: well that's good. I get up to low 40's, but i don't usually push it that hard often.
Him: Only 40? Your joking. That thing should compete against my boat. you must not have the right prop on it.
Me: It's not a go fast boat...made for skiing. I've got a 4 blade prop on it.
Him: well you should try to prop it up and use the trim. (i just blankly stare at him for a little bit) I wanted to invite you out to the drag races we are having for the Freedom Festival on the 3rd. We're going to line up a bunch of jet boats throughout the day and run them. Should be fun and i know that boat will do great if you get the right prop on it.
Me: thanks, but im going to pass. I would only be interested if we were pulling several skiers at the same time.
Him: No. No, skiers. Can't ski behind a jet boat...Stop out and see me on the 3rd, i think we'll get you entered in and see what we can do about the prop.
Me: ...Ok Sir. See you then

As he is walking away, my fiance looks and me and says "What an idiot. He must not know anything about boats"

Great great story!!