PDA

View Full Version : PSS shaft seal

reftech
02-16-2013, 05:34 PM
What's up guys I am thinking of installing the pss shaft seal system on my ps190 but I have never used this system or any other dripless system on any of my boats. Have any of u ever done this? Is it worth the money and time spent and is it maintenance free as advertised?

Table Rocker
02-16-2013, 05:44 PM
What's up guys I am thinking of installing the pss shaft seal system on my ps190 but I have never used this system or any other dripless system on any of my boats. Have any of u ever done this? Is it worth the money and time spent and is it maintenance free as advertised?
I installed the OJ XPC dripless. (http://www.ojprops.com/products) Installation was easier than repacking the factory seal. I have been very happy.

reftech
02-16-2013, 05:47 PM
I looked at installing the oj as well. Mine is dripping steadily and it's time to repack that's why I was considering the dripless. Thanks for the input!

ski/hunt
02-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Also have the Oj dripless---around 100 hrs on it and love it!! Nothing like having a dry bilge. The only time I get water in there is if the kids are in and out lots through out the day.

reftech
02-16-2013, 05:57 PM
I know right!? I had to turn the bilge pump on twice yesterday and we were only at the lake a few hours. Guess I'm just gonna have to stop contemplating and do it. From what I hear the two systems are equally as good. It will be a good time to replace the cutlass bearings to.

Craig
02-16-2013, 08:30 PM
The drip less systems are nice, but another option is this:

http://www.gfopacking.com/

In my boat, it is effectively like a drip less system for much cheaper. I haven't touched it in three years since I installed it and I get zero water in the bilge.

east tx skier
02-16-2013, 08:57 PM
I looked into this, but packing costs about $0.40 and repacking is a pretty rare event. I just check the drip once or twice per season and don't worry about it.

gotta_ski
02-23-2013, 02:35 PM
I put the PSS on mine the first full season I had it and love it. I've installed it on several other boats around the lake as well. Why mess with 100 year old shaft packing technology? Sure, you may not have to mess with the shaft packing that often, but I NEVER have to mess with mine.

east tx skier
02-23-2013, 03:12 PM
I put the PSS on mine the first full season I had it and love it. I've installed it on several other boats around the lake as well. Why mess with 100 year old shaft packing technology? Sure, you may not have to mess with the shaft packing that often, but I NEVER have to mess with mine.

Give it time. My local dealer has seen enough of them fail. They are wear items. 100 year old technology keeps working well for me. Glad the PSS is working well for you.

By the way, rudders are pretty ancient technology. Propellers, too. Internal combustion engine is over 100 years old. :D

T-Rager
02-23-2013, 03:59 PM

My experience with PSS is the same as gotta_ski. I installed mine on my ProStar over 10 years ago. No drips, no problems, clean bilge.

gotta_ski
02-25-2013, 02:25 PM
Rudders and props, etc are old technology. Good point Eastie. I'll give you that. Our Tige had 500 hours on it when we sold it. 99 problems on that boat, but the PSS wasn't one.

The graphite collar is a wear item I believe, but the service life is very long. I've yet to hear firsthand of one wearing out on a inboard ski boat. I still think its far better technology.