PDA

View Full Version : ballast tank warranty

ktm9900
02-14-2013, 11:53 PM
I have a 2010 x 15 i bought new. my port side ballast tank as a large crack in it.
I dropped it off at my dealer to se what they would do about it. Any one know what the warranty is on ballast tanks? I have no complaints yet. give me a week and we will see.
I just rad the whole warranty on MC website and i have no idea whats covered.

sand2snow22
02-14-2013, 11:54 PM
Was it full of water and did it freeze?

ktm9900
02-15-2013, 12:02 AM
no freezing involved. It broke mid way up on the tank. The boat leaves my lake and goes straight in to my shop. No chance it froze.

sand2snow22
02-15-2013, 12:30 AM
When was it registered in 2010? Should be covered. Hopefully dealer goes to bat for you.

ktm9900
02-15-2013, 12:37 AM
bought it in april of 2010, I have no reason to think they won't help me out........ yet!
I still don't see where the ballast tanks are in the warranty. I think I will be well looked after but i'd like to know where I stand in black and white!

sand2snow22
02-15-2013, 01:29 AM
Within 3 years, you should be good. How's that for black and white?

Aric'sX15
02-15-2013, 02:25 AM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=51557&highlight=ballast+tank+crack

Aric'sX15
02-15-2013, 02:27 AM
pretty sure they have to split the deck. just got my boat back from the kgb cracking. did you have any bags piggy backed?

Your boat might be out of warranty, luckily i have the extended.

bjames
02-15-2013, 11:45 AM
My understanding of the warranty is everything covered for 1 year, after that drive train only unless you got the extended warranty, then your good for 3 years (ballast tanks would only be covered if you got the skiers add-on package to the extended warranty).

GoneBoatN
02-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Looking at the 2010 Owner Manual section of Warranty, I would think this falls under 2.3 "Other Component Parts" which would be one year. I have the FPC extended warranty with the "MasterCraft Addendum" and "MasterCraft Accessory PAC Addendum" - which would cover the ballast tank. The FPC warranty is good for six years.

P.S. I just had the fuel pump replace because it was leaking between the mounting plate and the pressure regulator where there is a gasket between the two.

Aric'sX15
02-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Looking at the 2010 Owner Manual section of Warranty, I would think this falls under 2.3 "Other Component Parts" which would be one year. I have the FPC extended warranty with the "MasterCraft Addendum" and "MasterCraft Accessory PAC Addendum" - which would cover the ballast tank. The FPC warranty is good for six years.

P.S. I just had the fuel pump replace because it was leaking between the mounting plate and the pressure regulator where there is a gasket between the two.

My fuel pump got replaced under the extended warranty. It went out while I was on the lake and stranded me. Haha. Won't ever get another boat without the extended warranty!

ktm9900
03-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Well... Worlds largest mastercraft dealership has referred me to mastercraft. Ballast not covered on warranty. Not looking good for me. I hope mastercraft comes through for me.

craig3972
03-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Martin Equip - Calgary and EDM

My KGB ballast tank had a leak in it since new. I went to the dealership and was told they would need to split the top deck from the bottom hull. I had considered it, but them I thought more damage and problems could occur from such major surgery that it wasnt worth the risk. Now my boat is slowly sinking when I fill the KGB.

bags that are held in an open position in the hull would be a better solution to this problem. they are flexible and can withstand vibration and pressure better than a rotomolded plastic tank. Additionally they wont rupture if water is frozen inside. If they incur some type of problem they can be detached, collapsed and removed thru the access hole for repair or replacement. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to put an accurate gauge on the fill level.

Aric'sX15
03-08-2013, 01:57 PM
My boat got split in half, and I've been on the lake since. no problems for me, no leaky ballast. It really isn't as big of a deal as it seems.

CruisinGA
03-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Martin Equip - Calgary and EDM

My KGB ballast tank had a leak in it since new. I went to the dealership and was told they would need to split the top deck from the bottom hull. I had considered it, but them I thought more damage and problems could occur from such major surgery that it wasnt worth the risk. Now my boat is slowly sinking when I fill the KGB.

bags that are held in an open position in the hull would be a better solution to this problem. they are flexible and can withstand vibration and pressure better than a rotomolded plastic tank. Additionally they wont rupture if water is frozen inside. If they incur some type of problem they can be detached, collapsed and removed thru the access hole for repair or replacement. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to put an accurate gauge on the fill level.

Static pressure transducer in the bottom of the bag or drain line immediately after the bag. This is a method used in industry. Would only be accurate when boat is sitting still.

snork
03-08-2013, 04:54 PM
I measure mine as the water flows from the vent line back into the lake, Full

kskonn
03-08-2013, 05:05 PM
My dealer has always said that splitting the deck sounds a whole lot worse than it actually is. According to them it is a fairly simple procedure and not that hard to do. Just an FYI....

ktm9900
03-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Mastercraft was no help at all. I am very disappointed. My dealership also said tough luck. I would not say a word if it was a wear item but we are talking about a static tank. Cost of repair approximately $4000. They were planning to remove the seat support to get the tank out replace tank then repair seat fibre glass. My boat is in my shop. I am thinking cut the tank in half to get it out then repair it see if I can make two tanks out of the one and plumb them together. I could cut a hole in the top of the tank and put a bag in the tank this would still look "stock". Or take the tank out and replace it with a bag. Any other options? The tank split right along the seam obviously under speced. I am so disappointed with all parties involved. It's been a great boat but with no support like any other machinery it is no good. I own lots of heavy machinery and when I get service like this I no longer support the brand or i pay far less and expect no service. 180hr x15 for sale.

Aric'sX15
03-09-2013, 02:40 PM
You're going to sell it with a broken tank? I would honestly cut it out and replace it with a sac. I mean your boats out of warranty, I wouldnt have expected them to replace mine when it broke if I wouldn't have gotten the extended warranty. Did you ever place sacs on top of it?

mikeg205
03-09-2013, 03:03 PM
I would be upset - FWIW - but I wouldn't dump the boat for a Water container gone wrong. The the stupid thing out and put in a sac - they are cheap.... I have read here that people take out static ballast and install sacs to add storage when sac's empty...

I would have to disagree on the boat split. Unless dealer has a good way support deck when lifting and or lifting evenly - I would be afraid it could flex and spider cracks would develop... but I have been known to be wrong - occasionally.

ktm9900
03-09-2013, 03:07 PM
No! I will not sell it with a broken tank! It will be remedied somehow! I am thinking removal and replaced with soft bag is the best option.

ktm9900
03-09-2013, 03:13 PM
No! I will not sell it with a broken tank! It will be remedied somehow! I am thinking removal and replaced with soft bag is the best option. I do expect a dealership to stand behind the product they sell. In this case a tank that the boat is built around making removal impossible.
It is a fine design as long as a tank never fails. It broke directly behind the battery box. I think we had an umbrella on it nothng else. There was a sac in the rear locker, supplied by same dealership the boat was purchased from.

Aric'sX15
03-09-2013, 03:15 PM
I would honestly rip out both tanks and put in sacs. more ballast!

ktm9900
03-09-2013, 03:19 PM
Not a bad idea. Both sides will match, that wil look better and surf better!

Aric'sX15
03-09-2013, 07:25 PM
I vote keep the boat! Plumb some 750s or 1100s in there if its all you do is surf!

Thrall
03-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Are you sure you have to cut the tank apart to get it out?
My X2 is a very similar layout and it looks like one could just remove the aft ballast tanks without too much trouble. KGB tank totally different story.
If you did both sides, IMO you'd be increasing the value of the boat with factory ballas operation and waaaay more plumbed in ballast.
Maybe search wake world too. I'm sure someone has removed the factory rear tanks in favor of bags.

kyfooter
03-11-2013, 01:01 PM
That's very concerning to hear. As someone who has young kids, faced with the seemingly inevitable switch from the ski boat (197) to wakeboard boat at some point in the future, stories like this make me cringe.

I've said it before, but why do we settle for poor warranties? We're not buying Moombas or Tiges. We're buying $70,000-$120,000 boats, from "The Leader, and Pulling Farther Ahead"...at least that used to be the MC claim. 3 years on engine, and 1 year on all else? Really? I'm shocked that's ok with people. 20 years ago 3 year warranty on the engine would have been fine, as there weren't hardly any other gadgets that could break. Now, with the hull being formed around ballasts, and boats loaded with $20k in electronics, ballasts, stereos, etc the warranty hasn't changed. All of the boat manufacturers have no problem putting a premium price/value on the gadgets, but don't seem to back them.

I get that some will say the tank could have split because water froze inside (Note the owner says that's not the cause). Or that he should have bought an extended warranty...my question is Why? This is the best boat out there, right? Why is 1 year warranty ok on an $80k boat?

Aric'sX15
03-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Are you sure you have to cut the tank apart to get it out?
My X2 is a very similar layout and it looks like one could just remove the aft ballast tanks without too much trouble. KGB tank totally different story.
If you did both sides, IMO you'd be increasing the value of the boat with factory ballas operation and waaaay more plumbed in ballast.
Maybe search wake world too. I'm sure someone has removed the factory rear tanks in favor of bags.

I think they might be a little to long and like a few inches to wide. im not sure, ill have to check. i know the tank goes up under the seats as well.

Trout
04-20-2013, 02:43 AM
Guys is the KGB tank the center roto molded tank?

What does KGB stand for? I've searched and searched but can't find a reference.

Thx

JRW160
04-20-2013, 03:02 AM
KGB is the center tank. KGB=keel-line gravity ballast

Rossterman
04-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Warranties being what they are, a company should stand behind their product, especially at this price point! You either make a customer for life or lose a customer for life...

Taking the path of ford and Chevy and eventually you lose loyal customers or new buyers shy away. Lots of people bought POS Detroit cars in the mid 70's will never buy a gm or ford again because the didn't stand behind their product when the tranny went out at 13k under a 12k warranty for example.

Japan knows this and Honda or Toyota routinely fix out of warranty claims when there is a reasonable expectation the part shouldn't have broken. KTM motorcycles are the same way. Wonder why these companies have a reputation for quality and out sell most of their competitors??? Because customers know they stand behind what they make.

Trout
04-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Taking the path of ford and Chevy and eventually you lose loyal customers or new buyers shy away. Lots of people bought POS Detroit cars in the mid 70's will never buy a gm or ford again because the didn't stand behind their product when the tranny went out at 13k under a 12k warranty for example.

Japan knows this and Honda or Toyota routinely fix out of warranty claims when there is a reasonable expectation the part shouldn't have broken. KTM motorcycles are the same way.

BMW use to be a great car manufacturer as well but I had a well known door locking actuator blowing fuses and when my family got locked inside the car! I mean every door except the Driver side could NOT be opened! It was 9 months outside the 4 year warranty!
Less than 40k miles on the car and everyone including my 2 year old daughter had to crawl through the driver side door!

I actually used FB to bring attention to the issue to thousands of potential buyers and BWM after 3 months of saying it was my issue and I should have purchased a 2 year extended warranty for $2800 bucks!

Not sure ill ever buy another BMW again just with the hell they put me thru!

Toes of you who've had issues with a manufacturer should use Twitter and FB and let others know about them! This usually gets manufacturers to take notice and listen!