PDA

View Full Version : OBD code reader

Farmer Ted
09-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Thinking about getting this for my truck, I keep getting a "Service Engine Soon" light on my truck and was curious if I would be able to hook it up to the boat and get any info off the engine.
OBD Scanner (http://www.autotap.com/autotap_for_windows.html)

I think it will be cheaper to buy this and trouble shoot my truck than changing parts and keep taking it in and getting the light reset.

east tx skier
09-14-2005, 11:30 PM
I'd be afraid of what it would tell me.

Leroy
09-15-2005, 12:00 AM
This is cool if it would work! Says '96 or later. Less than $200!

Think JimN or Enginenut would have to answer. Key is the ODB-II port. I'm pretty sure my LTR1 has the ODBII port.

tommcat
09-15-2005, 10:31 AM
just keep in mind that even once you pull codes you may be no closer to fixing the problem on your truck. contrary to most peoples beliefs they dont put out a code that simply tells you what to fix. what is the truck if you dont mind me asking?

ktn_cmu
09-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Certain auto parts stores will do this for free. Auto-Zone being one of them.

tommcat
09-15-2005, 10:57 AM
from a professional point of view i'd suggest not going to them. we get a couple cars in every month that went to them for their free check and then dumped a ton of money into them and still werent fixed. then they come to us and find out it would have been a whole lot cheaper to go to the dealer in the first place. sometimes autozone gives them a refund, sometimes not.

PointTaken
09-15-2005, 11:30 AM
Great tip. I didn't know that.

dog paw
09-15-2005, 12:23 PM
From what I have seen a lot of the off brand scanners and diag equipment will not read everything. Even some of the snap on scanners. They won't read a lot of trans info body or LAN info. Most of our service engine soon lights now are from loose gas caps or evap leaks. I have a link I'll try to post it give a lot of parameters of codes and what it takes to set them It might need a password but I dont think so...

http://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/index.html

gregg
09-15-2005, 01:35 PM
from a professional point of view i'd suggest not going to them. we get a couple cars in every month that went to them for their free check and then dumped a ton of money into them and still werent fixed. then they come to us and find out it would have been a whole lot cheaper to go to the dealer in the first place. sometimes autozone gives them a refund, sometimes not.

You are right on tommcat, and they are the sameones that can not believe we have the nerve to charge 70.00 for this service, when AutoZone will do it for free. Free?? How many $$ worth of unnecessary parts are sold and installed. One of the reasons I refuse to buy parts from there. What has to be explained is that our fee includes our guarantee that what we tell them is wrong will fix the problem, and that knowing the code is only a starting point to the diagnostic procedure.

Farmer Ted
09-15-2005, 01:39 PM
just keep in mind that even once you pull codes you may be no closer to fixing the problem on your truck. contrary to most peoples beliefs they dont put out a code that simply tells you what to fix. what is the truck if you dont mind me asking?

It's a 2001 F-150 (4.2L), I don't have the exact code with me right now but it was something along the lines of "Exhaust Gas flow recirculation insufficient"

dog paw
09-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Oops the GM link won't help you much :( We get that problem alot on our V6's The port in the intake carbons up and causes insufficiant flow. Most of the time you can pull the valve and dig the port out with a stiff wire like a twisted up coat hanger The PCM checks EGR flow on a decell around 40 /50 mph you never feel it It looks for a set O2 sensor voltage change when the EGR is opened and closed. IMO Fords do have a weak EGR system they give more trouble than GM

gregg
09-15-2005, 01:59 PM
It's a 2001 F-150 (4.2L), I don't have the exact code with me right now but it was something along the lines of "Exhaust Gas flow recirculation insufficient"

Farmer: My guess is probably a code P0401..EGR flow insuff. detected. Most likely cause in a faulty DPFE sensor. Have also seen plugged passages, but 9 out of 10 times it is the sensor. You might want to call your Ford dealer with your VIN number and inquire about a recall that was issued for certain vehicles. The recall raises the warranty coverage for the sensor from 3yr-36k up to 5-60 for fed. emissions and I believe 5-70 on cal. emissions. Hope this helps.

gregg
09-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Oops the GM link won't help you much :( We get that problem alot on our V6's The port in the intake carbons up and causes insufficiant flow. Most of the time you can pull the valve and dig the port out with a stiff wire like a twisted up coat hanger The PCM checks EGR flow on a decell around 40 /50 mph you never feel it It looks for a set O2 sensor voltage change when the EGR is opened and closed. IMO Fords do have a weak EGR system they give more trouble than GM

Isn't it great when a piece of that carbon comes loose and gets in the egr pintle?? Gotta love those 4.3s

dog paw
09-15-2005, 02:15 PM
LOL! You aint kidding! Have you seen the little screen cup that they jam in the passage. Stops up in no time. I forgot about the servicable pintle position sensor on the Fords. We used to have a tech here that was pretty good with those. but we are pretty much a GM only now.

My Ford is a good old powerstroke No EGR probs on that beast :D

tommcat
09-15-2005, 06:03 PM
ted, most likely you had a P0401,P0402 or one of a number of EGR codes, which usually is misdiagnosed by the aftermarket shops. there is a customer satisfaction program and if it's the DPFE sensor which is the problem it will be replaced for free. we do dozens of them a week.
i'm a senior master tech for Ford, if there is anything else i can help you out with feel free to contact me.

PointTaken
09-15-2005, 06:09 PM
Ok using the diag at AutoZone is not such a great idea.
Tommcat, maybe you can tell me why I've lost the same coil twice on my Expedition. It's the rear one drivers side. Dealership tells me sometimes they go bad. I said ok, but the same one? Not cheap to replace either.

tommcat
09-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Ok using the diag at AutoZone is not such a great idea.
Tommcat, maybe you can tell me why I've lost the same coil twice on my Expedition. It's the rear one drivers side. Dealership tells me sometimes they go bad. I said ok, but the same one? Not cheap to replace either.
sure it was drivers side? the rear pass goes all the time because the heater hose has a very slight leak that drips right on top of them. it's cyl #4
if it really is rear drivers side going over and over i'd have to say poor installation. kinda hard to screw up but some of the things i've seen over the years just blow me away.

PointTaken
09-15-2005, 06:18 PM
sure it was drivers side? the rear pass goes all the time because the heater hose has a very slight leak that drips right on top of them. it's cyl #4
if it really is rear drivers side going over and over i'd have to say poor installation. kinda hard to screw up but some of the things i've seen over the years just blow me away.
It was #4 both times. I thought they told me it was drivers side. Next maintenance checkup, I'll have them check for a leak in the heater hose. Thanks very much.

tommcat
09-15-2005, 06:24 PM
if they said it was number 4 then it was rear passenger side.
dont waste your time at the dealer if you have some decent mechanical skills.the hose clamp they put on at the factory is slightly too large so even when tightened all the way it doesnt squeeze tight enough. just get another clamp, unscrew it all the way so you can slip it around the hose without taking it off. then loosen the old clamp, slide it out of the way and tighten down your new clamp.

PointTaken
09-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Sent a beer your way :) Thanks! I will get on that when I get home from work.

tommcat
09-15-2005, 06:30 PM
anytime i can help just let me know

gregg
09-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Farmer: My guess is probably a code P0401..EGR flow insuff. detected. Most likely cause in a faulty DPFE sensor. Have also seen plugged passages, but 9 out of 10 times it is the sensor. You might want to call your Ford dealer with your VIN number and inquire about a recall that was issued for certain vehicles. The recall raises the warranty coverage for the sensor from 3yr-36k up to 5-60 for fed. emissions and I believe 5-70 on cal. emissions. Hope this helps.

Tommcat: Careful there, aftermarket shop here, this was my post from earlier today. Close?? Or is the coverage extended longer??

tommcat
09-16-2005, 09:03 AM
no offense intended but we get them in all the time after a small shop threw an EGR valve and then a solenoid at them and still cant fix it. which is why i get so mad when people think they can just pull a code and replace a part. not saying you do that, just see it a lot.
you are correct on coverage, nice to see some aftermarket guys know their sh!t

ecelis
09-16-2005, 09:19 AM
If you want to buy a code reader, keep the "Carchip" in mind. It is a thing you connect to the ODB port and leave it there. It will log engine data that you can pull in the computer and analyse later. It will also decode any engine problems.
I originally bought it to keep an eye on my teenager's driving manners (it keeps track of speed and rpm, amongst others), but was able to use it twice for engine problems.
Just last week the check engine light in my wife's car came on. I connected the carchip, started the engine, stopped the engine, pulled the carchip and loaded the data in the computer. It said "cylinder 6 misfire". Sure enough, the sparkplug wire was bad...
It is from "davisinstruments" and costs around 200 I think. I have recently seen it for sale at Autozone.

Farmer Ted
09-16-2005, 09:24 AM
ted, most likely you had a P0401,P0402 or one of a number of EGR codes, which usually is misdiagnosed by the aftermarket shops. there is a customer satisfaction program and if it's the DPFE sensor which is the problem it will be replaced for free. we do dozens of them a week.
i'm a senior master tech for Ford, if there is anything else i can help you out with feel free to contact me.

TOm,

Thanks for the tips, one thing regarding the DPFE sensor; the truck has over 70,000 miles on it and it's way out of warranty so would this still be done "on the house" I just found out about the recall on the cruise control harness should I ask them to do this sensor at the same time?

tommcat
09-16-2005, 10:25 AM
ted, it depends on the vehicle but i think you may still be covered. you can PM me your VIN and i'll run it for any open recalls if you'd like.

gregg
09-16-2005, 11:15 AM
no offense intended but we get them in all the time after a small shop threw an EGR valve and then a solenoid at them and still cant fix it. which is why i get so mad when people think they can just pull a code and replace a part. not saying you do that, just see it a lot.
you are correct on coverage, nice to see some aftermarket guys know their sh!t

None taken tommcat, just messin with ya. We have the same thing here all the time. As soon as a new customer walks in and says the word AutoZone my earmuffs go on and I politely let them know I could care less what AutoZone told them, and if they would like us to diagnose and repair their vehicle, we would be glad to, but it is going to cost for the diagnosis. What they get for those dollars spent is a guarantee that our diagnosis is correct and will resolve the problem. I too, despise the parts changers who call themselves technicians. Oh, and everyones brother or father is a "mechanic" right...LOL

tommcat
09-16-2005, 11:51 AM
None taken tommcat, just messin with ya. We have the same thing here all the time. As soon as a new customer walks in and says the word AutoZone my earmuffs go on and I politely let them know I could care less what AutoZone told them, and if they would like us to diagnose and repair their vehicle, we would be glad to, but it is going to cost for the diagnosis. What they get for those dollars spent is a guarantee that our diagnosis is correct and will resolve the problem. I too, despise the parts changers who call themselves technicians. Oh, and everyones brother or father is a "mechanic" right...LOLor they themselves "used to be a mechanic". my reply to that is if they were any good at it they would STILL BE a mechanic.

gregg
09-16-2005, 12:37 PM
or they themselves "used to be a mechanic". my reply to that is if they were any good at it they would STILL BE a mechanic.

My favorite are the ones who are smart enough to diagnose, buy the part from O'Reilly or Autozone, but not smart enough to install them. :rolleyes: Want me to install them, assure them it will fix the problem, and warranty the job!! Not happening!!! :noface: ...................... Daughters wedding tomorrow, gotta run, good weekend to all!!

east tx skier
09-16-2005, 01:17 PM
I just found out about the recall on the cruise control harness should I ask them to do this sensor at the same time?

Tim, I took it in for the recall on the cruise control the other day. I checked in advance to make sure they had the parts to fix it, made an appointment and showed up the night before to drop my car off. What do they do, just unplug it and tell me they won't have the part until mid-October at the earliest. I'm really loving this Honda I just bought all the more. It took Ford 6 months or so to even add my truck to the recall list (just rolling the dice on some of us while they crunched the numbers to see if it was worth their while).

Sorry. Venting.
Apparently didn't get it out of my system when Ford happened to call me for a customer survey this morning. My Exped is now my "daily parker."

Leroy
09-16-2005, 01:35 PM
I had similar Doug. I know there are many Ford people on here with great experiences, I wish them the best, but my one Ford vehicle was so bad and the service management so callus and incompetent, I should never say anything about Ford again. (if you can't say anything good, don't say anything).

dog paw
09-16-2005, 01:50 PM
That recall mess is not just a Ford thing GM has the same problem. For the life of me I cant understand why they release recalls before the dealers have a shred of paperework on them, much less available parts

There are a lot of horror storys out there with every brand. I have worked for a GM dealer for over 25 years and the best vehicle I have owned is my F250 Powerstroke :woohoo:

jimmer2880
09-16-2005, 02:20 PM
That recall mess is not just a Ford thing GM has the same problem. For the life of me I cant understand why they release recalls before the dealers have a shred of paperework on them, much less available parts

There are a lot of horror storys out there with every brand. I have worked for a GM dealer for over 25 years and the best vehicle I have owned is my F250 Powerstroke :woohoo:

Funny... next to my '93 dakota, my '99 F250 power stroke was about as bad as it got for me. All kinds of troubles.

east tx skier
09-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Shoot, our Ford trucks run like tops. It's not that. My complaints are, (1) fix the problem, don't just disconnect my cruise contol, and (2) if it's such a big problem that you have to disconnect my cruise control, my truck should've been recalled 6 (or however many) months ago, not, finally, last week (I checked quite regularly). Again, the truck runs strong (hell, my wife's exploder has 208,000 miles on it with minimal maintenance). Just ticks me off that Ford left with with an apparently dangerous vehicle for 6 months while they did cost analysis on my family and my respective lives.

Too much greed everywhere.

tommcat
09-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Actually most of the vehicle we do recalls on do not need them. but the way our laws work now if just few people have issues they end up doing massive recalls. 99% of the parts i replace under recall are perfectly fine and most of the time we put in the exact same part we took out. they arent even changed in any way.
some of the recalls we do are a joke. i've replace floor mats in windstars due too the possibility that you could shove the mat forward and jam it under the pedals, so we replaced them with mats with more grip. i've got customers with carpet samples as floor mats, tell me that's not worse?

as far as your cruise control recall, we should be seeing the parts soon but unfortunately we have no control over when the parts get here. they usually announce recalls long before they have a fix available. which of course makes us at the dealerships look bad

east tx skier
09-16-2005, 05:31 PM
I got no problem with the dealership really. They can't fix what they don't have (or may have had according to what I was told, but gave to someone else after I made my appointment). More just annoyed that I won't have cruise control for a while. As for people having issues, sounds like some of the people who had the cruise control problems had pretty serious ones. All the more reason to park the ski boat in the garage and leave the expedition in the driveway.

/looks adoringly out the window at his new-to-him honda accord.

PointTaken
09-16-2005, 05:54 PM
if they said it was number 4 then it was rear passenger side.
dont waste your time at the dealer if you have some decent mechanical skills.the hose clamp they put on at the factory is slightly too large so even when tightened all the way it doesnt squeeze tight enough. just get another clamp, unscrew it all the way so you can slip it around the hose without taking it off. then loosen the old clamp, slide it out of the way and tighten down your new clamp.
tommcat, thanks for the help. I took the clamp off last night, got a new one today and just put it on. It was a little wet there, so it probably was leaking. Thanks again!

tommcat
09-16-2005, 06:08 PM
tommcat, thanks for the help. I took the clamp off last night, got a new one today and just put it on. It was a little wet there, so it probably was leaking. Thanks again!
thats pretty common.
glad i could help out a little.