PDA

View Full Version : Windshield tint

kalamalka
02-12-2013, 10:55 PM
What are your thoughts? I've been playing around with the idea of tinting my black x1, but can't make up my mind. What does it cost? are there any benefits considering you don't have a roof, or is it just an aesthetic option.

Tristarboarder
02-12-2013, 11:02 PM
I tinted that glass on mine last Spring, I guess I like it ok. The only real advantage is aesthetic....actually can be hard to see through while under way, if you sit down in your seat. Cost me $160 at a tint/audio store...pretty good deal I think...if you don't like it, you could always just take it off real easy like.

onewheat
02-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Looks cool - other than that, I don't see much benefit. It could be harder to look through, but the only time I ever look through ours while driving is if we get caught in the rain and that has only been a couple of times ever.

Mastercraftdave
02-12-2013, 11:38 PM
Getting my boat done this week. I had it on my last Malibu and loved it. 20% is what I had on my Malibu and what I'm getting on MC. It makes the boat look great and nice driving with during hott summer months. It can be hard to see through when riding at night. I will put it on every boat I have.

Gnargnar
02-13-2013, 12:01 AM
What about a lighter tint? 50%? For the glare off the water. in the summer months we do a lot of night cruising to dinner etc so I wouldn't want it blacked out...

kalamalka
02-13-2013, 12:22 AM
Does anybody have pics of the different types of tint?

clrussell
02-13-2013, 06:09 AM
Whatever you do don't do 5%! I had planned on 20% which I thought would be perfect but I always have 5% on my trucks and my tint guy put 5% on the boat.. Oops.. It looks good, but you can't look through it, gotta look over

Tapatalk

bzettler83
02-13-2013, 12:19 PM
I agree on the 20% tint. I had it done on my previous boat and loved it.

TxsRiverRat
02-13-2013, 01:41 PM
sunrise and sunset skiing will be compromised.

Wear sunglasses...

mesquitethrasher
02-13-2013, 03:48 PM
Have 20% film on our current boat and also had the same on our 04 X30. Really love the look. With that being said, it does hamper your vision through the windshield, especially during low light hours such as early and late. If you have concerns I would go with 35% (light, and legal on most cars) or 20% which is darker but not as dark as the 5% (typically called limo tint).

If I recall, I paid close to 300.00 to have it done both times. Be selective when choosing a
tint shop. Try to make sure they have the facility to do it indoors, because debris in the air or dust can make or break a tint job. The guys that did our X30 did it outside and there were dirt spots all in the tint (dirt shows up as white specks). The guy that did our X45 did it indoors. It looks better. Another MAJOR concern should be daylight showing around the edges. This happens when the film is not trimmed close enough to the rubber gasket holding the glass in. Both our boats have it. Some say that they can do the tint job without daylight showing around the edges, I have my reservations so you probably could expect some light showing. On our X30 the guys used a thin vinyl striping tape around all the edges on the outer side of the windshield in an effort to block the light spots from showing from the inside. On the X45 there is no vinyl tape but there are still light cracks that show. Also verify that they WILL NOT trim away the gasket on the inside in an effort to make the edge of the film slide up under the gasket not allowing daylight to show, I think this could affect the integrity of the glass being sealed in. Also make sure that the guys have done boats before. The extreme curve in the class is VERY diffucult to get the tint to conform to. They will use heat guns and in some cases a butane blow torch to heat the film and glass.

One last thing. In both cases it took the guys at least 5 hours to do the job. The second guy claimed to have done all kinds of boats and promised me the boat in 3 hours. However it took closer to 6. When asking him about why it took so long he said the windshield on a MC was curved more than most boats. Heck I don't know. I can tell you that your black X1 will look great if you decide to do it. Sorry for rambling on.

clrussell
02-13-2013, 03:58 PM
When I got my glass tinted on mine I went to the tint shop and took all the glass out of the frame and had it tinted.. Perfect job and no lines around the edges

Tapatalk

ahhudgins
02-13-2013, 04:25 PM
Looks cool - other than that, I don't see much benefit. It could be harder to look through, but the only time I ever look through ours while driving is if we get caught in the rain and that has only been a couple of times ever.

I agree. My former PS190 had the side windows tinted by the PO. The tint made it hard to see the skier when I turned around to pick them up or to give instructions when teaching newbies. I had to either kneel or keep them further away from the boat to see them. Yes, it looked cool on a white/black MC with a black tower, but to me it was worthless. If it had been on the windshield I would have removed it.

Mastercraftdave
02-13-2013, 04:37 PM
This is my malibu with 20%. It really comes down to how dark are you comfortable with. This should give you a good idea of how 20% will look on the water. I will have my MC done on friday with pictures to help.

jgraham37128
02-13-2013, 05:28 PM
i like the no tint, to me adding tint looks desperate like your trying to add anything in everything to your boat.

RyanD121
02-13-2013, 05:44 PM
I say do it. Love mine, wouldn't change it. I took the entire frame apart and pulled the glass, so no seams. Also a great time to powdercoat the windshield frame. :toast: :headbang:

mesquitethrasher
02-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Our old boat with 20%.

onewheat
02-14-2013, 10:43 PM
I absolutely LOVE the way tinted windows look on a boat. Every car I have bought in the last 25 years went straight from the dealership to the tint shop. Tint really improves the look of everything. I never look through the windows in the boat - always sit above them. Limo tint wouldn't affect my view at all.

Great idea about pulling the windows out of the frame for tint too.

DemolitionMan
02-14-2013, 10:58 PM
1978 S@s

Yellow X9
02-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Easyest way to tint the wind shield on the boat, is to pull the windshield off the boat, take 15-20 mins to remove. Much easier to tint off the boat and faster. I pulled mine off to it to a tint shop I use and 1.5 hrs later, keft the tint shop with 20% tint on it- 5-6 hrs to tint the boat, I go find a better tint shop

JohnE
02-15-2013, 06:09 AM
I don't like the tint.

joyner1020
02-15-2013, 09:25 AM
I say that most of the people on here that dont like window tint have prob never been to the south in the middle of summer .. One of the public lakes we go to is located in arkansas in the middle of nowhere .. You can bet its everybit of 120 degree heat index in the middle of all those corn fields with nothing around for miles and miles ...The bimini top and the window tint are a MUST ...Like a credit card , never leave home without um ''

clrussell
02-15-2013, 09:48 AM
I even have the windshield tinted on my truck.. 50% on it and 1% on the rest of the windows :)

Tapatalk

EarmarkMarine
02-15-2013, 09:56 AM
Because the inside of the glass is not shaded, 20% on a boat will look like 35% on a vehicle. Not that dark. But it is definitely not safe to go darker. Even 20% can impede vision.
Mostly asthetic. You will notice a difference on items that are set up on the dash and under the windshield, like a phone for example.
The gap mentioned above is because the elevated dash keeps the tinter from trimming the film perimeter in certain places with 90% access. There may be a gap to fill or they may cut into the gasket to avoid the gap (which isn't acceptable). In some cases, the only remedy in getting a near perfect job is to remove and reinstall the glass.
Releasing the film backing and applying it in an unprotected area makes a clean job nearly impossible.
It's difficult to shrink the film and get the film to adhere to a curved windshield. A compound curve is really tough.
Before having it done discuss some of these issues with the shop.

David

TxsRiverRat
02-15-2013, 10:09 AM
I say that most of the people on here that dont like window tint have prob never been to the south in the middle of summer .. One of the public lakes we go to is located in arkansas in the middle of nowhere .. You can bet its everybit of 120 degree heat index in the middle of all those corn fields with nothing around for miles and miles ...The bimini top and the window tint are a MUST ...Like a credit card , never leave home without um ''

I live and ski in Texas... I do not enjoy being out on the lake in the heat of the day... I get on at the break of dawn and off the lake by 10 AM. Closest i get to heat of the day is 4 PM to sundown when we do our weekly ski n grills...

Does the tint look awesome? Yes.

There is no question that the tint hinders the ability to see at the dawn/dusk hours (especially in a slalom course)... We had a club member with a MC209 and it had tinted windows and after a couple of trips to the lake with his boat, I didn't want to drive for him anymore.

MC

thatsmrmastercraft
02-15-2013, 10:19 AM
1978 S@s

May as well tint this one. Wouldn't be able to see much through the big MC logo.

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=90059&stc=1&d=1360900662

ahhudgins
02-15-2013, 04:30 PM
I've only had one boat with tinted windows. I honestly didn't see how it effected the heat/sun on anyone in the boat. The hottest part of the day the sun will be overhead and tinted windows won't do much for sunburn protection....that's why I put a bimini on my last MC!:)

Footin
02-15-2013, 05:20 PM
I have my SUV windows tinted to 35%, not for looks but more for function. I don't care for tinited windows on a boat, a bit to "Gangsta" for me.

gts-20
02-25-2013, 09:30 AM
These are pics from this weeked, picking up our boat from having it serviced at Texas Ski Ranch. We've been considering tinting the glass for the last 2 seasons, and after some research, and seeing some of the previous pics, we went ahead and had TSR do the tint while it was there for service. We asked for something very light, just dark enough to accent the boat, but not too dark.

We like the way it turned out. What do you think?

ttu
02-25-2013, 09:51 AM
that looks really good!

Table Rocker
02-25-2013, 09:58 AM
That looks great, not too dark. What % is that film?

gts-20
02-25-2013, 10:33 AM

I'm not sure. I asked for something light, like the legal limit for front windows here in Texas, but I never asked what the final % was that they decided on. I'll call Josh this morning and ask him

Table Rocker
02-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks. My boat was tinted when I got it, but it's too dark for my liking. Yours is right on.

gts-20
02-25-2013, 06:03 PM

I haven't heard back from TSR yet, but my fiance said they told her when we picked it up that it was 25 %.

Table Rocker
02-25-2013, 06:14 PM
I haven't hear back from TSR yet, but my fiance said they told her when we picked it up that it was 25 %.Thanks, it really looks good.

snork
02-25-2013, 07:19 PM
I have to agree for a tint job the % looks about right

ZachDaddy
02-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Great looking 197!!! The tint looks wicked good.

gts-20
02-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Great looking 197!!! The tint looks wicked good.

Thanks, but its a 214, not a 197.

monsterwake
05-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Easyest way to tint the wind shield on the boat, is to pull the windshield off the boat, take 15-20 mins to remove. Much easier to tint off the boat and faster. I pulled mine off to it to a tint shop I use and 1.5 hrs later, keft the tint shop with 20% tint on it- 5-6 hrs to tint the boat, I go find a better tint shop

How did you remove your windshield? Mine is loose and I am trying to find the screws from the bottum to tighten them but I cannot find them anywhere..

Mastercraftdave
05-06-2013, 08:56 AM
I got my X45 done last weekend. This is only pic I have but man it makes the boat look sexier.

haroldbrogers
05-06-2013, 03:32 PM
Here is mine, with 20%. I love it.