PDA

View Full Version : SEAL who shot bin Laden speaks out

milkmania
02-11-2013, 11:13 PM
This would seem to be an interesting story
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/seal-shot-osama-bin-laden-speaks-143245195.html

The U.S. Navy SEAL who shot and killed Osama bin Laden is speaking out for the first time since the May 1, 2011, raid on the al-Qaida leader's compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

He told Esquire he decided to speak out to both correct the record of the bin Laden mission and to put a spotlight on how some of the U.S. military's highly trained and accomplished soldiers are treated by the government once they return to civilian life.

Despite killing the world's most-wanted terrorist, he said, he was not given a pension, health care or protection for himself or his family.

"[SEAL command] told me they could get me a job driving a beer truck in Milwaukee," he told Esquire.
Plus, he said, "my health care for me and my family stopped. I asked if there was some transition from my Tricare to Blue Cross Blue Shield. They said no. You're out of the service, your coverage is over. Thanks for your 16 years. Go f--- yourself."
The problem seems to be that "The Shooter" left the military well before the 20-year requirement for retirement benefits.

“In that second, I shot him, two times in the forehead," he told Esquire. "Bap! Bap! The second time as he’s going down. He crumpled onto the floor in front of his bed. He was dead. I watched him take his last breaths. And I remember as I watched him breathe out the last part of air, I thought: Is this the best thing I've ever done, or the worst thing I've ever done?

Sierra Tango II
02-12-2013, 12:06 AM
Well as far as the protection that he wants for retaliation he's not helping his situation by going public.

bbymgr
02-12-2013, 12:36 AM
First rule of Fight Club.........

Farmer Ted
02-12-2013, 12:46 AM
he should've stayed until he was eligible for his pension and some form of health care for himself and his family

Tricare isn't what it used to be but it's better than nothing, I'm sure Obama will make it worse

I know that these guys are elite and do great things for our nation, many things that will never have a word uttered about them.

There are lots of people who get out of the military and don't get the opportunity to utilize every benefit that's available to them. It doesn't matter if they are Special Ops or cooks at the chow hall everyone is entitled to these benefits and should have access to them.

I heard an interview with the guy who wrote the Esquire article, he stated that "the shooter" didn't want to fly a desk but the thrill of the kill was gone. He should have parked his @ss at that desk for a couple of years or taught at the schools, the thrill of killing that monthly retirement check is pretty frickin sweet.

milkmania
02-12-2013, 01:28 AM
Something that is interesting to me is the fact that someone actually is labeled as "the killer" instead of it actually just being an exchange of gunfire where no one actually knows who killed who..... just the fact that bin laden was killed.

I guess you'd never know how it's going to go down, until it hits the fan.

It kind of seems to me like SEAL Team 6 has lost some of it's integrity, in regards to the other member writing his book, but of course.... that's from the outside looking in, from news accounts.

mikeg205
02-12-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm surprised (ok not really) there was nothing offered to him by our gov't. Lot of training, lot's invested in Seals... As always the truth will lie somewhere in the middle. I am a believer of all military are covered for life the moment the go into harms way.

I also believe he should have made sure his ducks were lined up to receive all benefits for his service.... since the smart ones (doh!) are governing the country not?

Any way "the shooter" didn't get Osama - Obama did - ! ;)

aaron.
02-12-2013, 10:35 AM
If he knew how long was required to work in order to receive benefits after retirement, why on earth did he quit? Couldn't he have just worked a desk for a few years to ensure the health safety of his family? Seems like a massive blunder here on his part.

I feel sorry for his situation, but this really could have been avoided pretty easily.

nickespi
02-12-2013, 10:36 AM
I think someone posted this just to get me going. I won't get into what I really feel, but just let the record show that there were other "elite" guys around and none of them are running around talking about what they did or how great they are. Being in that position is an inherent thankless job so don't cry about not getting recognition because you think you deserve it. You aren't special. Everyone in the service gets their benefits the same way, by serving 20 years. If you couldn't finish out your career for anything other than medical reasons, then too bad. The SEALS have tarnished the reputation of the armed services special operations community and its directly related to the commander of the special operations command...a navy admiral. Of course he's going to make it seem like his branch is more capable than the others. They need to stick to maritime operations and stay off the terra firma. That is all. Sorry

CantRepeat
02-12-2013, 11:57 AM
he should've stayed until he was eligible for his pension and some form of health care for himself and his family

Tricare isn't what it used to be but it's better than nothing, I'm sure Obama will make it worse

I know that these guys are elite and do great things for our nation, many things that will never have a word uttered about them.

There are lots of people who get out of the military and don't get the opportunity to utilize every benefit that's available to them. It doesn't matter if they are Special Ops or cooks at the chow hall everyone is entitled to these benefits and should have access to them.

I heard an interview with the guy who wrote the Esquire article, he stated that "the shooter" didn't want to fly a desk but the thrill of the kill was gone. He should have parked his @ss at that desk for a couple of years or taught at the schools, the thrill of killing that monthly retirement check is pretty frickin sweet.

I think someone posted this just to get me going. I won't get into what I really feel, but just let the record show that there were other "elite" guys around and none of them are running around talking about what they did or how great they are. Being in that position is an inherent thankless job so don't cry about not getting recognition because you think you deserve it. You aren't special. Everyone in the service gets their benefits the same way, by serving 20 years. If you couldn't finish out your career for anything other than medical reasons, then too bad. The SEALS have tarnished the reputation of the armed services special operations community and its directly related to the commander of the special operations command...a navy admiral. Of course he's going to make it seem like his branch is more capable than the others. They need to stick to maritime operations and stay off the terra firma. That is all. Sorry

Indeed!

The contract is laid out pretty clearly. It's the same for everyone. It doesn't matter what your kill count is, you are no more entitled to benefits then any other person that got out after 16 years. If you can't "ride" a desk for 4 years for 50% pay and full family medical that only cost $468 bucks a year then you are too short sighted for you own good. He has no one to blame but himself. If nothing else, surely you shouldn't ***** to some rag magazine over a decision that was clearly your own!!

Quiet professional my ***!

nickespi
02-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Cantrepeat,
You know Quiet Professional doesn't apply to SEALS. That's just an SF thing lol. All of this made evident by Act of Valor, Zero Dark Thirty, and all the numerous books put out.

Sierra Tango II
02-12-2013, 12:21 PM

Dont drink the Kool aid guy, I spent 10 years in the Teams and quite frankly this article sounds like it was totally twisted out of context. As far as "tarnishing" the reputation of the Spec Ops community as a whole, well theres a helluva lot more interest in it now from the general public than theres ever been....... Period! Fifteen years ago, numbers were dangerously low for the community (all of Specops) as a whole, and then 911 happens and they drop even further due to the same cats going to work at various secuirty companies making 5 times more a year doing the same job. The idea that we need to stay off the "terra firma" as you say has been an ongoing debate since the inception. I remember the day that all the Draegars (Scuba gear for those that dont know) that the Army had, were turned over to the Navy. Its military wide. Everyone trains and everyone wants to be utilized. The more your utilized the more funding will float your way.Bottom line is that whoever is in charge of SOCOM is going to look out for their own people. Period. Its all about where the money goes and unfortunatley to get a bigger piece of that pie, you need to be utilized, plain and simple. As far as people stepping out and talking about recent missions, well, that starts from the top down. The "silent professional" seems to have disappeared. Make no bones about it that they are just following someone elses lead. The White House should have never ever ever released what unit took out Bin Laden. Thats a fact. As soon as they did, that just opened Pandoras box and made it acceptable for people "in the know" to talk, write books, so on and so forthe. Listen, would you feel like your "secret was safe" and that nobody knew your name when within hours after the release of information, Virginia Beach is flooded with photographers and journalists looking to get the inside scoop and are outside YOUR DOOR taking pictures of YOUR HOUSE and YOUR FAMILY? That happened! Think you might bfeel a little bit betrayed????????I mean really, would you? Think about how they knew where everyone lived. I can tell you right now the folks over at DEVGRU didnt share it. Cats outa the bag at this point, might as well write a book. The idea that these books have compromised tactics is crazy. Listen, our tactics are based on the KISS theory, Keep It Simple Stupid and quite honestly what seperates us (Specops as a whole) is training and practice. Repetition. As far as benefits that hes owed, well, like you said, you do your twenty you get your 50%. I do believe though that we do owe people that are getting out of the military more help as far as transitioning back into civillian life. Its not an easy task.

JimN
02-12-2013, 12:27 PM
If he knew how long was required to work in order to receive benefits after retirement, why on earth did he quit? Couldn't he have just worked a desk for a few years to ensure the health safety of his family? Seems like a massive blunder here on his part.

I feel sorry for his situation, but this really could have been avoided pretty easily.

I heard (on the news this morning) that he and his wife are separated and she wants to do a name change for her and the kid(s), to put some distance between them and him.

I don't see thin going well in the long run.

CantRepeat
02-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Cantrepeat,
You know Quiet Professional doesn't apply to SEALS. That's just an SF thing lol. All of this made evident by Act of Valor, Zero Dark Thirty, and all the numerous books put out.

It's my generalized statement about ALL Tier 1 assets. I won't watch Hollywood's version of war, I lived it.

Nick911
02-12-2013, 12:39 PM
So SEAL Team Six has nothing to do the actual Navy SEALs. Aren't Team Six Operators recruited from Delta, Rangers, SEALs, and other special ops groups?

TxsRiverRat
02-12-2013, 12:54 PM
The real question is, why did he retire early...?

Anyone know?

Sierra Tango II
02-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Cantrepeat,

You do realize that some of (but not all) these movies were made as recruiting tools to generate interest in and aid in recruiting young men to join the Navy. Before our numbers dropped, and our tasking increased, Demi Moore requested access to BUD/S to prep her for her upcoming movie GI Jane, and she was denied by the Navy. A couple days later there was a call from the president, and guess what, here comes Demi.

Sierra Tango II
02-12-2013, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=Nick911;908531]So SEAL Team Six has nothing to do the actual Navy SEALs. Aren't Team Six Operators recruited from Delta, Rangers, SEALs, and other special ops groups?[/QUOTE

DEVGRU is the new name for the old SEAL Team 6. It is derived from operators from the other SEAL Teams. Delta isthe Army's equivalent of DEVGRU only it is derived from people within the Army.

helton333
02-12-2013, 01:16 PM
My father in law spent 3 Christmas' in Vietnam and is thankful for everything done for him on return - he went out, found a job that paid benefits, and is happily retired now. He must just be crazy or something.

cbryan70
02-12-2013, 02:46 PM
Dont drink the Kool aid guy, I spent 10 years in the Teams and quite frankly this article sounds like it was totally twisted out of context. As far as "tarnishing" the reputation of the Spec Ops community as a whole, well theres a helluva lot more interest in it now from the general public than theres ever been....... Period! Fifteen years ago, numbers were dangerously low for the community (all of Specops) as a whole, and then 911 happens and they drop even further due to the same cats going to work at various secuirty companies making 5 times more a year doing the same job. The idea that we need to stay off the "terra firma" as you say has been an ongoing debate since the inception. I remember the day that all the Draegars (Scuba gear for those that dont know) that the Army had, were turned over to the Navy. Its military wide. Everyone trains and everyone wants to be utilized. The more your utilized the more funding will float your way.Bottom line is that whoever is in charge of SOCOM is going to look out for their own people. Period. Its all about where the money goes and unfortunatley to get a bigger piece of that pie, you need to be utilized, plain and simple. As far as people stepping out and talking about recent missions, well, that starts from the top down. The "silent professional" seems to have disappeared. Make no bones about it that they are just following someone elses lead. The White House should have never ever ever released what unit took out Bin Laden. Thats a fact. As soon as they did, that just opened Pandoras box and made it acceptable for people "in the know" to talk, write books, so on and so forthe. Listen, would you feel like your "secret was safe" and that nobody knew your name when within hours after the release of information, Virginia Beach is flooded with photographers and journalists looking to get the inside scoop and are outside YOUR DOOR taking pictures of YOUR HOUSE and YOUR FAMILY? That happened! Think you might bfeel a little bit betrayed????????I mean really, would you? Think about how they knew where everyone lived. I can tell you right now the folks over at DEVGRU didnt share it. Cats outa the bag at this point, might as well write a book. The idea that these books have compromised tactics is crazy. Listen, our tactics are based on the KISS theory, Keep It Simple Stupid and quite honestly what seperates us (Specops as a whole) is training and practice. Repetition. As far as benefits that hes owed, well, like you said, you do your twenty you get your 50%. I do believe though that we do owe people that are getting out of the military more help as far as transitioning back into civillian life. Its not an easy task.

KISS...makes me think of rouge warrior. Great book if you have not read it.

Bob B
02-12-2013, 02:56 PM
But according to Stars and Stripes magazine, the claim about health care is wrong:

Like every combat veteran of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, the former SEAL, who is identified in the story only as “the Shooter”, is automatically eligible for five years of free health care through the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Stars and Stripes contacted Bronstein, who told the paper that no one told the SEAL he was eligible for health care benefits. He also said that there wasn’t enough space in the Esquire article to, as Stars and Stripes put it, "explain that the former SEAL’s lack of health care was driven by an ignorance of the benefits to which he is entitled."

TxsRiverRat
02-12-2013, 03:04 PM
The real question is, why did he retire early...?

Anyone know?

So noone knows why he retired early?

O2BESOHUGE
02-12-2013, 04:00 PM
STRANGE How All The Seals On That Team Have Died Or Something Happened To Them

CantRepeat
02-12-2013, 04:04 PM

Do we even know who ALL of them are? I doubt it.

captain planet
02-12-2013, 04:08 PM

That's because the entire operation is bull****. It never happened, well at least they got the wrong guy. If you look into this there is reason to believe that bin laden was dead for years and the fact they disposed of the body at sea just screams red flags. You can't identify a body you don't have anymore. Remember.........and as much as I hate to say this.......this raid happened just as the release of obummer's birth certificate was reaching a fever pitch, they needed a distraction, so they executed this false raid to take attention away from it.

They knew this story would get out, so they eliminated the witnesses......convenient how that Chinook went down with all those SEAL Team 6 guys on board.....just seems a little too convenient.

CantRepeat
02-12-2013, 04:14 PM
That's because the entire operation is bull****. It never happened. If you look into this there is reason to believe that bin laden was dead for years and the fact they disposed of the body at sea just screams red flags. You can't identify a body you don't have anymore. Remember.........and as much as I hate to say this.......this raid happened just as the release of obummer's birth certificate was reaching a fever pitch, they needed a distraction, so they executed this false raid to take attention away from it.

They knew this story would get out, so they eliminated the witnesses......funny how that Chinook went down with all those SEAL Team 6 guys on board.....just seems a little too convenient.

Tin foil hat /on

Theclarks1111
02-12-2013, 04:14 PM
There is nothing funny about over 30 service members dying in a helicopter crash. They were two unrelated incidents; Bin Laden raid and the crash. Both were two completely different squadrons.

captain planet
02-12-2013, 04:15 PM
There is nothing funny about over 30 service members dying in a helicopter crash. They were two unrelated incidents; Bin Laden raid and the crash. Both were two completely different squadrons.

OK, funny was not the right word, convenient was what I meant to say...for the government anyway.

captain planet
02-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Tin foil hat /on

yea....probably a post I'll regret, however I don't believe anything the government tells me anymore. They lie and lie and lie and then if you catch them in a lie and call them out on it they deny it, and if you read history there is no reason to believe a word that comes out of their collective mouths.....basically ever. I would apologize for my cynicism, but I've reached the age where I don't need to anymore.

Sierra Tango II
02-12-2013, 05:09 PM
This story is verfiable, albeit slanted by the auther. At the annual SEAL reunion 2 years ago there was a joke floating around about OBL raising his hands and screaming out "but we had a deal".

gid
02-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Capt P.

Is there a Govt that doesnt lie to support its cause?

I gave up years ago - my one vote is usless, Im too poor to run for Congress/House (how many millions does it take now?)

FrankSchwab
02-13-2013, 12:37 AM
yea....probably a post I'll regret, however I don't believe anything the government tells me anymore. They lie and lie and lie and then if you catch them in a lie and call them out on it they deny it, and if you read history there is no reason to believe a word that comes out of their collective mouths.....basically ever. I would apologize for my cynicism, but I've reached the age where I don't need to anymore.

Yeah, your first post made me think "what a looney", but this follow up made me think "But he sure has a grasp on reality". How depressing.

captain planet
02-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Yeah, your first post made me think "what a looney", but this follow up made me think "But he sure has a grasp on reality". How depressing.

I shouldn't have posted that, however at that moment my give a 'f' was broken, so I let it fly. I'll bite my tongue....or maybe my fingers next time. :(