PDA

View Full Version : Steering hard to turn...

brianaw26
09-14-2005, 05:32 PM
Iím having a problem with my steering. When the boat is idling the steering is easy to turn and when I get on plane, the steering get pretty tough (I think that would be normal because of the water pressure). :confused:

Say I am turning around to the left to pick up a fallen rider. I slow down, crank the wheel around and start to accelerate, if I give it too much gas, it is impossible to get the steering back to center unless I back off the throttle. The same goes for any left turn while the throttle is forward and the wheel is turned about half a turn.

When I make a right turn it isnít as bad but still noticeable. Any ideas on what causes that? Is this normal?

east tx skier
09-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Might be a little prop cavitation aeration of the prop (just spitballing). Have you lubed the cable lately? We've noticed that the 98 PS 205 in our family does not turn around very well one way versus another when we turn around to pick up a fallen skier. I've not noticed it on my boat.

brianaw26
09-14-2005, 05:54 PM
I havent lubed it in a while. I guess I'll do that in hopes it will make a difference. I doubt it though.

Im going to do a small restoration this winter so maybe it can wait till then.

J. Patterson
09-14-2005, 06:06 PM
Your description of tight steering while under power, & while the rudder is turned at an angle with prop wash putting pressure against it, would indicate a tight or dry rudder bushing. I had this problem with my tristar & a friend did too. We found that greasing the rudder bushing helped a lot.(the grease fitting is on the bronze bushing inside the boat, right next to the mounting flange.) However we finallly fixed both for good by replacing the rudder box---bushing. As I remember the cost was about $150 or so. I polished my rudder shaft with emery cloth while I had it out. Steers great now! Been 2 years since I fixed it. Before we fixed them we thought that tristars just didn't steer well. :confused: Wrong.

J. Patterson
Trussville, AL