PDA

View Full Version : Watersports....what will you be doing when you retire?

Jerseydave
02-09-2013, 08:16 AM
What are everyone's plans regarding watersports after retirement?

Me.....I will still be out there skiing, riding, footin' and foiling if my body allows it.
I'd like to teach kids in the summer, perhaps on my own or at a camp in the northeast.
Are there many camp waterski coaches in their 60's, or is that best left to the college kids?

Post your ideas and thoughts about keeping the stoke alive after 60!

byronic
02-09-2013, 10:10 AM
60 came and went almost four years ago. I still ski from ice out to ice in . I have slowed down from 36 to 34 but i'm not sure that had anything to do with age, only trying to get 20 more seconds before the boat has to keyhole. Barring any specific medical condition I don't see a change comming. Someone posted awhile ago, maybe it was Snipe, about having problems with forearms and having to give up skiing. Something like that is a big concern. But when the water is calm I ski.When it's rough I sail. And when Lake Superior blows over 30 with 10 to 15 footers i'm blasting off the tops on my 650SX stand-up, and I welcome anyone at any age to try to keep up. I do have two if anyone cares to try. Hopefully I can say the same thing in ten years when someone asks, what's it like at 70! Byron

mikeg205
02-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Workin for boat gas money and new ski's ;)

davidstan
02-10-2013, 09:07 AM
At 56 I am looking at fully retiring in a yr or 2 meanwhile I am trying to avoid injury so I can keep improving in this sport I just took up 5 yrs ago. Nagging elbow and forearm issues dog me now but hopefully with a new physical therapy program I can keep injury to a min. Our lake is a weekend intensive lake so it will be nice to ski on Mon-Thur for a change soon.

Double D
02-10-2013, 11:05 AM
I'm 45 and hope to be skiing way past retirement. I hope my body and heart holds out that long.

petermegan
02-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Playing in the shower with my 21yo girlfriend. :D

Ron Grover
02-10-2013, 08:15 PM
57 now, retiring I'm not sure exactly when but today I am mostly boat driver. After a complete shoulder replacement and one knee rebuild and my doctor telling me to plan on a new shoulder every 10 years +/-, depending on how I take care of it. I am not that interested in the extreme any longer. I still ski but there is no longer the hyper competitiveness as 20-30 years ago.

Although petermegan's plan sounds like a plan worth exploring. LOL That might be harder on a shoulder and knee than skiing.

mtajpa
02-10-2013, 10:07 PM
56 and could have retired last year but its what I was doing before I retired that will keep me working for a while. Might retire from one company to work for another for a bit. Nice to have them knocking on my door. I still ski and will continue to ski until I can't. I will continue to be active in the water surfing an wakeboarding.
Last year was out all year with shoulder surgery. Been doing PT for a year now and only skied twice last year. Should be back at it come March. I'll be starting slow and easy.

CantRepeat
02-11-2013, 06:10 AM
49 now and I retired 2 years ago. Yes, completely retired. I still ski, air chair, surf and on the side do a little training for the upcoming Atlanta marathon. As long as my hips, back and mind hold out I'll keep doing it.

SkiDog
02-11-2013, 07:44 AM
Retirement...................such a nice concept. Don't think it'll ever happen to me.:(

VP46
02-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Retirement...................such a nice concept. Don't think it'll ever happen to me.:(

Ditto.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Ditto.

Same here.

ProStar200
02-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Playing in the shower with my 21yo girlfriend. :D

Ha ha, awesome!

ProStar200
02-11-2013, 02:20 PM
41, couple years to go. Hopefully still Ski, Wakeboard and Surf(working on it) and try keeping up with the Kids(16 year old daughter and 11 year old Son). On the water and golf everyday I hope.

hoosier skier
02-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Sadly at 56 I see my ski days coming to an end before retirement . Everything was going along fine until the last few years then hip and back pain wake me up at night after my morning sets. The Doctors I have spoken with seem uninterested and merely want to prescribe pain or antiinflamatorys. They take the opinion that I've had a good long run and need to stop this crazy sport . I think my last hope will be talking to the ortho that fixed my shoulder after a slalom crash years ago . Enjoy it while you can gents !

CruisinGA
02-11-2013, 03:03 PM
My next door neighbor is 63, taught me how to barefoot by stepping off the back of the boat and still attempts back flips on a wakeboard and lands wrap 360's!

GoneBoatN
02-11-2013, 03:54 PM
My next door neighbor is 63, taught me how to barefoot by stepping off the back of the boat and still attempts back flips on a wakeboard and lands wrap 360's!

There's hope for me yet! :uglyhamme

I have a six year plan to retirement. Of course, I said that six years ago as well.

You know how they say that as you get older, you reverse your roles as child/parent. So when I can wakeboard no more, my kids are going to have to drag me around on the tube for hours on end bored out of their whits. :D

RadarDad
02-11-2013, 08:01 PM
I am 60 and have no plans to stop slaloming at 36 mph anytime soon. In 6 years my oldest grandson will be 10 and hope to move to Texas so we can work on their pro skiing careers. Since his Dad works for Radar. I think it is a great plan.

76S&S
02-12-2013, 11:23 AM
I'll turn 50 this summer and my youngest will turn 6. I guess I'll be working for a while yet, but I also plan to play with the youngster as long as I can.

I enjoy being on the water in any way. I fish, slalom, foot, wakeboard and of am the dedicated boat driver for everyone else.