PDA

View Full Version : Jobe slalom skis

jeff shelton
02-08-2013, 09:19 PM
I used to slalom ski alot until I started barefooting in 99. I was travelling for work and was sking a friends Obrien TRC and haven't slalom skied since but I always had Jobe.

I started skiing an old Obrien competitor that my uncle had loaned me to learn on. A friend had a Jobe 1300 that I started using when I went with him. After using his I purchased a Jobe 1200. I used it couple yrs and the top layer peeled back. I was able to send it to Jobe and they covered it under warranty. The 1200 was no longer available and I was able to upgrade to the 1600 for difference in the cost of the two. I later sold the 1600 and got the Jobe next.

Who used to ski Jobe?
Why did you change skis?
How are the new Jobe skis compared to others?

d2jp
02-10-2013, 09:24 PM
I still have a Jobe Spectra 1000 from the 80's/90's. I think it's a 65. Can't get up on it easily.

I don't think Jobe is in business, unless they recently came back.

Anyway, I bought a Radar Theory this past summer and it's a whole new world. Much easier to ski, better all around performance and control. My friend has a Connelly Outlaw, same deal - so much easier to ski and have fun with.

mtajpa
02-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Girl friend had the Jobe Honeycomb, I had the Jobe Professional it was black on the top. This was in the late 70's. Gave that one to friends daughter. Switched to Kidder in the mid 80's all of them 65". Still skiing the same Kidder just bought new bindings for it. Probably should get a 67" something as I'm a bit heavier now.

tlukens
02-10-2013, 10:41 PM
I had a Jobe Open Class Pro double high wrap I bought when I was in 8th grade. Mowed a lot of lawns to buy it. Sold it when I was about 16. My wife got if back for me this year for my 41st birthday from the guy I sold it to. She is coaching the guys kid on the local club swim team. My boat was already out of the water for the year, but I look forward to skiing it this spring. If I remember correctly, the Jobe Specta 1000 was the top of the line for that year, 1986 I think. Bought it from Bart's.

tlukens
02-10-2013, 10:53 PM
I saw this in the Tower thread. Look closely on the dock. A Jobe Open Class Pro with double high wrap boots. Exactly like the one I had almost 30 years ago and just got back.

d2jp
02-11-2013, 08:02 AM
I had a Jobe Open Class Pro double high wrap I bought when I was in 8th grade. Mowed a lot of lawns to buy it. Sold it when I was about 16. My wife got if back for me this year for my 41st birthday from the guy I sold it to. She is coaching the guys kid on the local club swim team. My boat was already out of the water for the year, but I look forward to skiing it this spring. If I remember correctly, the Jobe Specta 1000 was the top of the line for that year, 1986 I think. Bought it from Bart's.

My Spectra 1000 was a freebie from the company. I was a sporting good buyer for a national chain from '85-'93. I don't remember the details, but someone named 'Jobe' (Gary maybe?) would fly in on a small private plane for the presentations. I do remember one time he flew into the wrong airport. All kinds of crazy rumors about that!

It's at my inlaw's lake house, I will post up some pictures on the next visit.

When I returned to skiing after a long break, I bought a Connelly Pilot. It was just so much easier to get up on. That was pre-MC. Quickly 'outgrew' the Pilot once I started skiing more and just got the Theory this past summer.

ttu
02-11-2013, 08:46 AM
learned on a 65" jobe honeycomb then had a jobe professional and favorite of the jobe line was the edge.

boy that is showing my age!:rolleyes:

h2oskifreak
02-11-2013, 09:27 AM
I had a Jobe Professional ans it's the only ski I owned I still do not possess. I have no idea wher it went, maybe it will turn up one day. It had "tracking rails" on the bottom (yellow bottom) and I skied the fire out of it for years. It was a big step up from my Obrien Competetor, but a long ways from todays skis.

jeff shelton
02-11-2013, 10:59 AM
I think I purchased the 1200 around 1988 and would have gotten the 1600 around 1990 and the Jobe next a few yrs later.

I think that Jobe until recently has only been available in the european market. Their website has changed alittle but they were showing that they had a concept store around Orlando, FL.

Here is the current website
http://www.jobesports.com/

Ski-me
02-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Jobe Open Class, 65 was my "first" real ski. My brother and I split the cost and couldn't believe how well it turned compared to the old Conelley Team 1.

Although we had size 10-11 feet, we forced our way into a double boot, Medium size. A LOT of soap was used to get in! :o Man did our feet hurt after each ski.

And, it had that "real cool" cheater fin!!

Similar to this one but double boot......

03 35th Anniversary
02-11-2013, 12:19 PM
I used to slalom ski alot until I started barefooting in 99. I was travelling for work and was sking a friends Obrien TRC and haven't slalom skied since but I always had Jobe.

I started skiing an old Obrien competitor that my uncle had loaned me to learn on. A friend had a Jobe 1300 that I started using when I went with him. After using his I purchased a Jobe 1200. I used it couple yrs and the top layer peeled back. I was able to send it to Jobe and they covered it under warranty. The 1200 was no longer available and I was able to upgrade to the 1600 for difference in the cost of the two. I later sold the 1600 and got the Jobe next.

Who used to ski Jobe?
Why did you change skis?
How are the new Jobe skis compared to others?

So are you looking to get back into Slalom Skiing? Or is this for basement wall decoration???

jeff shelton
02-11-2013, 12:36 PM
So are you looking to get back into Slalom Skiing? Or is this for basement wall decoration???

Maybe both. Old skis for the wall and new ski just for fun. I will definately have to give Lisa a few more lessons before I get behind the boat on a slalom or barefoot. I will have to install PP for sure. Maybe you can come visit and she can pull you while I instruct.

Attached are pictures that I found online. Jobe 1200,1400, 1600 and Next. After seeing the pictures my friend had the 1400.

Footer Girl
02-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Maybe you should consider something more along the lines of this!

Sledge
02-11-2013, 01:14 PM
This is my first slalom ski, given to me from my neighbor. I last skied on it in 2011 but might have to take it out again this summer.

jeff shelton
02-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Maybe you should consider something more along the lines of this!

I will remember this comment and I was going to be nice about your weight lose on the other thread. Can you get into your barefoot suit again.

Can I get the insanity in spanish. Then I could work on my weight and learn to speak spanish.

Skipper
02-11-2013, 01:22 PM
My Jobe Honeycomb carved up the course back in the early 80's! It sported double high wrapped bindings. I was skiing at 36mph back then and I could barely get into 22 off but it was an awesome ski.

Footer Girl
02-11-2013, 01:45 PM
I will remember this comment and I was going to be nice about your weight lose on the other thread. Can you get into your barefoot suit again.

Can I get the insanity in spanish. Then I could work on my weight and learn to speak spanish.

LMAO!!! You are so funny and yes I would be able to get into my suit again if someone wasn't holding it hostage!!!

It does in fact come in Spanish! Get it!! Do it!! 8p

jeff shelton
02-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Waterski mag article
http://waterskimag.com/company/jobe-skis/2012/11/20/jobes-2013-u-s-expansion-plans/

jeff shelton
02-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Jobe concept store

http://waterskimag.com/water-ski-shops/2012/07/18/ski-shop-profile-jobe-the-concept-store/

jeff shelton
02-11-2013, 08:39 PM
Actual US store with products and pricing

http://www.jobestoreusa.com/default.asp

Pickwick
03-17-2014, 10:30 AM
I'll give you $40 for that 1600 blank...interested? Would make great wall art.