PDA

View Full Version : Beleize/Amberguise

h2oskifreak
02-07-2013, 04:37 PM
My wife and I are planning to book a 10 day trip for July in the next 48 hours or so. Airfare is set and now we need to nail down the property. We have one in mind called The Phoenix, rooms look big and nice and reviews couldn't be beter on service. Not a lot of photos of their beach? Close to town location has upside for dining options. The other we have looked at is the Beleizean Cove Estates. Any input for me on Amberguise in July or another highly recommended place? We like snorkle, not scubba. We like beachfront properties on the higher end and well maintained places and understand you get what you pay for. I want to book w/ peace of mind, so suggestions welcomed.

BrianM
02-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Been twice. Absolutely love Belize.

Pretty much all of Ambergris doesnt have much of a beach. Lots of sea grass. Find a property with a nice pool overlooking the beach. If you want to swim in the ocean you will end up walking out and getting in the water from a pier.

Part of the charm to me are the small hotels not the newer and bigger resort type places. San Pedro is not a resort town. Its funky and a slow.

Last time I was there they hadnt finished building Phoenix.

Victoria House is another great option if you like the higher end. Small intimate property. Its a little to the south but still close enough to town. Don't stay north of the cut if you want to spend time in town.

We stayed at the Blue Tang Inn the first time. Small property with a nice little pool right in town. Its more upper mid level as far as rooms go. The oceanfront rooms are all big with nice kitchenettes.

You'll love it if (Belize) you like laid back.

Don't miss Georges Kitchen. Best stewed chicken rice and beans on the island (the Belize national dish).

gts-20
02-07-2013, 05:42 PM
My fiance went to Amberguise Caye/Beleize for her 40th b-day. They stayed @ Ramon's village. She loved it. Older property, but service was excelent!

http://ramons.com/

rtw_travel
02-07-2013, 05:52 PM
We were just in Belize at Christmas/ New Years. Actually we were in Caye Caulker, not San Pedro. If you are looking for upscale, then I understand Ambergris is a better choice, but we really liked Caye Caulker. I understand it's even more laid back than San Pedro.

As I said, we did not see ambergris, but you may be disappointed if you want beachfront. All the islands were formed by mangroves, so it is muddy and shallow. Waterfront yes... beachfront, not really although the shores are sandy. The snorkeling in Hol Chan, a short boat trip away, was pretty good - we saw a turtle, an eel, lots of colourful small fish, and an eagle ray in about 10-15' of water. If its calm, the snorkeling on the outside of the reef is spectacular... but you need the perfect conditions to get out there. We managed to get outside the reef when we were at Tobacco Caye and had the best snorkeling day I've ever had - the visibility was probably a few hundred feet.

For true beachfront you may want to head further south on the mainland to Hopkins - Jaguar Reef and Hamanasi are the higher end resorts if I recall correctly. We stayed at a small house near there. As nice as 10 days on the water seems, you may also want to consider heading inland for a few days to San Ignacio for caving and Mayan ruins. The caving is spectacular.

BrianM
02-07-2013, 06:12 PM
The Lamanai Ruins are also worth a day trip to the mainland.

h2oskifreak
02-07-2013, 07:09 PM
We looked at Hamansi but were told the town Hopkins next door is pretty awful. I had a friend who owned a home there for a few years and steered us away from the area. She said "Resort great, but isolated".

TxsRiverRat
02-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Man - Ambergris was absolutely WONDERFUL last year, I have other places I wanna go with the GF or I'd go back again in 2013...

Here is my review I wrote up - I was as detailed as i could be (see review by mcohen1021):

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g291962-d310365-r141427059-Belize_Tradewinds_Paradise_Villas-San_Pedro_Ambergris_Caye_Belize_Cayes.html#CHECK_R ATES_CONT

I will say I got ALOT of bang for my buck, and I loved the condos @ Tradewinds!

If you scuba, please book with REEF ADVENTURES - Tell Ched Cabral and Captain Ron that Mark Cohen from Dallas TX sent you.

Food and drink @ Wet Willies is awesome and affordable - plus the drunken Karaoke nights are fun!

And I can not stress enough to you to not miss the smoked chicken guy that sets up his smoker on Sat/Sun in front of CAYEMART - it was $5 per plate and the BEST MEAL we had all week - seriously!

Another MUST - PALAPA BAR AND GRILL.... get a golf cart and drive the potholed road to close to Portofino - theres a HUGE pier there - go out to the end of the pier - VERY peaceful - so quiet you can hear the waves crash on the coral reef (not able to hear that in San Pedro!!)

BTW - Ramones, was extremely nice, but it was extremely over priced. There are alot of great restaurants on the island and going AI will cheat you of that...

I'll PM you a link to my video I made from the trip.

h2oskifreak
02-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Brian and TX, great input. I think we are settling in on 6/7 days at the Phoenix and 3/4 days on the mainland. That being said; what part of the mainland is better, keeping in mind we will explore the caving and ruins?

rtw_travel
02-08-2013, 12:17 PM
We looked at Hamansi but were told the town Hopkins next door is pretty awful. I had a friend who owned a home there for a few years and steered us away from the area. She said "Resort great, but isolated".

Yes, its isolated... and I can see why your friend would not have liked it, but I actually quite liked Hopkins. I guess its one of those 'ymmv' things, and maybe my standards are different. But it's OK to walk barefoot everywhere, and all the locals say hi when you walk by them. That's pretty good in my book and just set me in the right mood to really enjoy myself. We were there at New Years, and the whole town including tourists went to the same party. I travel a lot (hence my teamtalk name), and I have not seen this anywhere else. There are lots of restaurants ranging from $20US per person down to $3pp. My favourite was Fran's Kitchen, where literally you walk into a grass hut that has three tables and a kitchen - best burritos ever! However if you want western standards and western service, then you'll certainly be disappointed when you leave the resort. The one thing our kids still talk about is the phosphoresence we saw on a night time boat trip in a brackish slough near the mouth of the Settee river. It was spectacular - it would light up the fish as they swam away from the boat. The boat wake was two solid bars of green lights following the boat. We followed a manatee for a while - it was lit up like it was a 10' firefly. I've never seen anything like that before.

Having said all that, while I really liked Hopkins & Belize in general, its not a place I need to return to any time soon. There's so many other places to go!

swardco
02-08-2013, 01:10 PM
My fiance went to Amberguise Caye/Beleize for her 40th b-day. They stayed @ Ramon's village. She loved it. Older property, but service was excelent!

http://ramons.com/

Wow, Ramons is still there?! Stayed there on our honeymoon in 1989!!! I am guessing my comments on Belize from 23 years ago wouldn't be particularly relevant.

TxsRiverRat
02-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Hey guys,

Yes, Ramones is still there. Yes, it is overpriced – the food there is ridiculously expensive. No offense to those that like AI resorts, but the food just sucks at them (compared to eating outside the resorts)… Yes, I will admit it is convenient.

The Phoenix is right next door to where I stayed, so you’ll have access to all the same things I did – Ritchies Supermarket, cayemart, the smoked chicken guy (sat/sun at the cayemart), Wet Willies, and the piers. And yes, we walked by it daily noting how amazingly nice it was.

I will say that I heard the other coast of the island was a bit seedy, and we avoided it.

As far as restaurants, go eat at the places I listed in my TA review. For breakfast, make sure you hit Geo’s Hideaway café – the breakfast croissant sandwiches were $5 and you can’t eat 2. The coffee there is HUGE and affordable too…

Trying to remember what you asked me in your last PM…. Blue Hole for snorkelers? There were some on board of the boat we were on (Amigos Del Mar)…. Is it worth it? I think it would be fun, but to miss going 140 ft down to see the 10 foot reef sharks, the drum fish and the MONSTEROUS stalactites, you’re doing yourself an injustice. We did see dolphins on the way there, sharks 140 feet down and 2 sperm whales on the way back… Plus we saw ˝ Moon Caye on the way back – and the colony of the Red Footed Booby birds. I’m not sure I would have wanted to spend THAT much money without seeing the great blue hole as seen by the eyes of one of my all time childhood heros – Jacques Cousteau… It was amazing

As far as staying on the mainland? No thank you – driving through BZE City to go to the zipline/cavetubing combo trip was enough for me. We took the 90 minute ferry ride to/from Ambergris…

Oh and you asked about clothing - I took 2 nice collared shirts and wore those with sandals and khaki shorts – the rest was swim trunks and t-shirts. Ambergris is LAYED BACK… And you can walk everywhere – it’s TINY.

Hope this helps – more later – I’m late to my next meeting.

MC

TxsRiverRat
02-08-2013, 04:44 PM
OK, back from my meeting....

More on Blue Hole... I will say that if you are at sea level, you could drive by it and not know it... The only way you can really tell it’s there is from the sky. There is a sandy shelf at about 20 feet, that the divers meet at prior to the decent... The max depth allowed is 130, although I dipped to 136 to assist my GF, a beginner diver who accidentally dipped to 145. As a snorkeler, I do not think you’re going to see much. It’s DARK down there... I took a flash light... So, snorkeling, blue hole... From what I could tell, I think the darkness will severely limit what you see / how far you can see. Plus, there's going to be A LOT of scuba bubbles coming up to the top. I also heard some of those monster sharks came right up to the surface, but I did not witness that, I’m just relaying what was told to me.

Palapa Bar and Grill north of the toll bridge– again, do not miss it. It’s great to get on the inner tubes and have them lower buckets of beer to you...

To rent a golf cart, wander next door to the Phoenix to the Tradewinds Paradise Villas and see if you find Lelo the cabdriver or Glenn (kid that works @ Tradewinds)... Ask them for the cheapest cart prices – they got em for $30/day for one of the people on my diveboat... 50-60/day is typical. There are 2 gas stations on the Caye (both are south of $5 toll bridge)... And gas aint cheap – ~$6 US per gallon...

There is a combo zipline/cave tubing excursion – a lot offer it for 210 pp and come down to 180... We paid 130 pp... they provided drinks and lunch and at the end Belizean rum punch. From the phoenix, walk SOUTH on the beach till u see a pier with a tour operator... They are the ones that advertised the 199.00 blue hole trip.

If you drink, buy the maximum allowed duty free liquor @ the BZE airport and fly it to the caye... we spent $30 on a bottle of couintreau and $30 on reposado te-lill-ya... (it would have been double that on the caye) we should have bought double that. marg mix on the caye was cheap. the belizean run was cheap... hint – carry a water bottle with u full of the rum to spike your weak drink @ restaurants... carry a water bottle full of couintreau to spike the weak margs @ restaurants. Trust me on that one... having your own bar on the island saves u a lot of bar tab money.

Also, buy Belikin beer hats, t-shirts, bottle openers, coozies – you can not buy that beer in the US – my belikin beer ball cap is unique...

Also, try to figure out where anti-virus software developer John McAfee’s home is (north end)... Such an an incredible story...

My Belizean adventure was not something I will soon forget – I can’t wait to return

BrianM
02-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Unless you are going to one of the resorts farther south on the mainland I probably wouldnt stay there. DO NOT stay in Belize City.

Just stay on the island and take a couple of day trips over to the things you want to do on the mainland.

Its been a few years since I was there last. Last time was when they first started cobblestoning the main roads of San Pedro. Its growing up fast now.

As said above. Just drink Belikin while you are there. You don't have to ask for it by name just say you want a beer at the bar and thats what you get. Go to the store and buy a case of it to drink by the pool. Much cheaper. And the One Barrel Rum is really good. Get get it here which is a shame. Marie Sharps hot sauce is killer too so get a big bottle of it and the One Barrel to bring home.

My wife talked one of the guys at the Belikin distributor into giving her a wall mounted bottle opener. They don't sell them just give them to hotels and bars as a promotional item. You are likely to have one in your room. It's my little bit of Belize I cherish at the house.

andy@midwestmastercraft
02-09-2013, 04:01 PM
I just took the family to Ambergris in December. My family had a great time. We rented a house on the beach just North of the Phoenix. The Phoenix looked great. You will enjoy the pool because the sea grass makes swimming in the ocean less fun unless you are in a few select areas.

If you are a diver there is a dive shop a short walk north of the Phoenix called Pajatos. We dove with them several days and took the kids snorkeling. I would recommend them highly. Both the diving and snorkeling was great. They saw a whale shark on Dec 4th.

I loved the food at the Wild Mango which is on the beach at the south end of town.

We bought beer from the Belikin distributor and if you bring the bottles back you are at less than $1/beer. If you get a golf cart ask a local how to get there.

Usually Caribbean food is not great. We did not have a bad meal the entire time in Belize.

Have Fun!

TxsRiverRat
02-10-2013, 09:57 AM
We rented a house on the beach just North of the Phoenix.

Was the house rental north of the toll bridge?

h2oskifreak
02-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Good tip on the beer. I am all about less than a dollar a beer. I will take several of the dining ideas as well. Thanks guys it really helps when people have been there before.

I just took the family to Ambergris in December. My family had a great time. We rented a house on the beach just North of the Phoenix. The Phoenix looked great. You will enjoy the pool because the sea grass makes swimming in the ocean less fun unless you are in a few select areas.

If you are a diver there is a dive shop a short walk north of the Phoenix called Pajatos. We dove with them several days and took the kids snorkeling. I would recommend them highly. Both the diving and snorkeling was great. They saw a whale shark on Dec 4th.

I loved the food at the Wild Mango which is on the beach at the south end of town.

We bought beer from the Belikin distributor and if you bring the bottles back you are at less than $1/beer. If you get a golf cart ask a local how to get there.

Usually Caribbean food is not great. We did not have a bad meal the entire time in Belize.

Have Fun!

andy@midwestmastercraft
02-11-2013, 07:53 PM
The place we rented was north of the Phoenix but south of the cut. It was a yellow house called Casa Caracol. We had a big crew so I rented both the upstairs and downstairs which can be rented separately.

There is a little fruit market across from the Belize Yacht Club. We picked up some fresh fruit and some really good homemade salsa there.

I am a big fan of having a golf cart. You can walk all over but it is fun to explore up to the Palapa Bar north of town and gives you a lot more dining options.

Have Fun!

TxsRiverRat
02-12-2013, 11:38 AM
The place we rented was north of the Phoenix but south of the cut. It was a yellow house called Casa Caracol. We had a big crew so I rented both the upstairs and downstairs which can be rented separately.

There is a little fruit market across from the Belize Yacht Club. We picked up some fresh fruit and some really good homemade salsa there.

I am a big fan of having a golf cart. You can walk all over but it is fun to explore up to the Palapa Bar north of town and gives you a lot more dining options.

Have Fun!

You found fresh fruit??? Man, I couldn't find fresh bananas to save my life there... If you were lucky, toy find them right when they arrived, it was good otherwise way past their prime. (I love taking bananas on the dive boat to eat between dives)

yes, the carts were great, just expensive and apt to theft. Anything not locked down will be stolen there.

Another Palapa Bar fan! Nice! They do have a FB page...

Did you travel way south of Ramones? We did a bit, but it was mainly a few outlaying resorts and not much as far as restaurants.

MC

h2oskifreak
02-14-2013, 10:06 PM
Booked the 10 day trip at the Phoenix Resort. Thought if we need to break up the trip we will take a day trip to Guatamala and see ruins. A friend warned me about bugs. More specifically, sand mites or fleas. My girl is a "girlie girl" and that is not something we want is to get the heck bitten out of my baby on her 50th. Is that a real concern and what do you do repelant wise. BTW, How is the local beer, Belikin? Light/Amber and what is it comparable to?

BrianM
02-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Both times we went we had no bug problems. Most of the time there is a nice breeze which keeps everything away.

I love Belikin. Wish we could get it here. The original is similar to Red Stripe. Belikin also makes a Lighthouse which a lighter Pilsner and Premium which is more of an amber. I much prefer just to order the original 'beer'

Some of the bigger bars carry some import beers but they are really expensive. Belikin is kind of a Belizean beer cartel. So just order a 'beer' at the bar and drink Belikin original. When in Rome...

TxsRiverRat
02-15-2013, 12:15 PM
You are going to fall in love with Ambergris... I also had a 10 day trip there, but since I scuba dive, I had something to do each morning from 08:30 till about 12:00... After that, it was lunch time, pool time, Palapa Bar and Grill time... I never looked into ruins trips simply because after seeing Tulum ~1989, I find ruins about as exciting as watching the grass grow - I don’t think theres anything I could be less interested in to be honest.

To answer your questions:

1. I 2nd what Brian says - I wish we could get Belikin in the US. Even if you don’t like it, you're gonna need to learn to like it... The cartel is really a monopoly run by the Bowen family... So, you can drink Belikin, Lighthouse, or Guinness. What Brian said about the bigger bars carrying carrying imported beers, I can't say I agree with because not a single restaurant on the island that I ate at had anything other than Belikin or Guinness.

Wikipedia states this, which I unsuccessfully tried to validate:

"Belikin currently exports its Beer and Premium to a distributor in
Los Angeles, California. The distributor ships to select high end
alcohol stores across the United States."

I highly recommend that you go to the duty free liquor at the BZE International Airport and buy the max you can buy because on the Caye, it literally doubles. The only cheap liquor on the island is One Barrel Rum (and yes its very good). Drinks at the restaurants are weak - take waterbottles with cointreau and one barrel in them to spike your margaritas and daquiris.

2. Bugs... What are the trip dates? I think the bugs depend on the time of day you're outside. Dawn and dusk you'll definitely feel the mosquitos... We took 2 bottles of "Off" and I packed my thermacell with 4 butane bottles and plenty of inserts... The way we did it to get the butane into Belize (and Cozumel) was to pack 2 butane bottles in my check in bag and 2 in my GFs bag... That way we'd at least maybe get 2 in in the event they were confiscated. One thing that drives me insane are mosquitos... And I can't stress it enough to protect yourself from them as the chances of contracting Dengue and Malaria are there. In fact, blood centers will not allow you to donate blood when you return if they discover you've traveled to Belize (Brother in law tried to donate last month). The closer we were to the beach, the less the mosquito problem was...

Other than "Pineapples" the restaurant at Ramones Village, every restaurant we ate at was open air. I recall eating at "El Patio" and the no-see-ums and mosquitos were eating us alive under the table... I carried Off with me everywhere I went.

3. I don’t know if you read my TripAdvisor review, but I'll cut and paste in my restaurant list anyways:

We ate at Elvi’s Kitchen, Blue Water Grill, Pineapples (@ Ramones), Wild Mangos, Blue Water Grill, El Patio (take bug spray), Wet Willys (very fun karaoke and great cheap food), Fido’s (horrible live music) and Red Ginger. We did go to the Wahoo Bar once, but that was on Thursday night for the ceremonial “Chicken Drop...”

The best three meals were surprisingly not at any of the ‘fancy’ restaurants. Try a croissant egg n bacon sandwich and a hot coffee for breakfast at Geo’s Hideaway Café – next door the Tradewinds – cheap and delicious.

The food n drink and fun at The Palapa Bar on North Ambergris was awesome. Three Hints: One, we took some Cointreau and One Barrel to spike the weak drinks (mainly daiquiris and margaritas). Two, it is too far to walk to Palapa from Tradewinds – u need a cart. Three, have Lelo the cab driver or Glenn get you a golf cart rental. We ended up paying $50 for ours and they got another guest a rental for $30. BTW, it is worth it to go all the way north on the island to Portofino

OK, so so the BEST meal we had all week? Seriously, it came from a street vendor that set up shop just outside the Caye Mart. For $5 US, you got a smoked chicken breast with wing, slaw, beans and 2 homemade tortillas. It was so good that we bought 4 meals and put two in the fridge back in the condo.

Can’t wait to hear about your trip...

MC

h2oskifreak
02-15-2013, 01:47 PM
TXS, Did read your review and you have been very helpful. Trip is mid July. I feel like we will be better off know what I know from this thread. The Phoenix e maild a link to the view from our specific room, looks great.

BrianM
02-15-2013, 08:27 PM
BCs Beach Bar is another great little bar. They used to do Friday beach BBQ that was amazing but I think they have stopped doing it now and last I heard may be closing and or moving soon. Shame since they were a San Pedro icon. As I said before go to George's Kitchen. And I agree with the others Tx said.

Like Tx I went to dive. We spent all morning diving then ate and sat by the pool or bar, took a nap went to dinner had a few beers or a rum punch and turned in early to do it all again. Didn't do really any nightlife.

Island time. We always take that seriously and slow WAY down.

TxsRiverRat
02-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Didn't do really any nightlife.

I'll just say that I had no desire to hang out at many of the night life areas... Just looked like trouble... Some places were good though like FIDO's, Wet Willies, and Wahoo Bar.

TxsRiverRat
02-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Sweet!!

http://ambergrisdaily.com/ambergris-caye-stories/dos-equis-on-sale-at-pedros-sports-bar-in-san-pedro/

TxsRiverRat
04-20-2013, 11:13 PM
I know I'm not sitting in Ambergris Caye tonight, but I did play on the beaches of Grand Cayman's 7 Mile Beach today...

Can't wait to get the scuba tank on in the morning :D

chico
04-21-2013, 08:59 AM
I went to placencia which is in the south end,the diving was great,2.5 hrs boat ride out to the barrier reef,avadon divers was the dive outfit.

TxsRiverRat
07-02-2013, 04:46 PM
H2OSkiFreak:

What did you decide on for Ambergris?

h2oskifreak
07-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Txs River Rat and others who commented and suggested. Belize was great. The resort Phoenix could not have been better. Arrival to a cold towel and rum punch and it just got better from there. After seeing where others were staying, I think the hotels on the island are mostly sub-par. We booked a 1 br./1bath and received a 2/2 with 3 flat screens and a 700 square foot veranda. I bet our unit was 1500 square feet. Service was equally as fine with top notch linens and turn down service. We ate at Elvi's Kitchen, Blue Water Grill (several times) Red Ginger (at the Phoenix) Wild Mango's (not the best, but o.k.) Waraguma (not mentioned by anybody and it is a whole in the wall but wow. Lobster burrito with two tails one inside and one on top for $9US ate that 2x for lunch), also went to Palapa (worst meal of the week). Palapa looks fun when rockin, but we were in off season so it was just an empty party spot. Mostly very happy with the restaurants food quality and $. Oh, forgot we went to Victoria House for my wife's B.D. dinner and it was very nice as well.
Excursions-Snorkel Hol Chan Marine Reserve and Shark Ray x2. Mexican Rocks snorkel. Skiped Shark Ray the second time as we were private tour and dove a ship wreck instead. Hol Chan was like being in an aquarium and worth the trip. Went fishing one morning by myself (thank god I left the wife at the resort). Had fun and caught a big Barracuda, Jacks, Snapper and 6-7 smaller Cuda's but was out in the boat in the rainstorm of a lifetime. Never saw rain like this it was filling the boat. I took turns w/ guide bailing and we gave up at one point and pulled the plug for equalization. You could not see 5 feet as it was so heavy. My wife would have thought she was going to die. I wondered myself and I am not easily scared. Great trip, not like anything we have ever done before. Won't go back anytime soon as there are to many other places to see in this world. Don't go for the beaches, as there are none. We knew that so we were not disappointed with the lack if beach.
Going to Playa in Jan. and will dive the other end of the reef. I am excited to see how it compares.
In Central America, Costa Rica is hard to beat. I will go there again, and hopefully in 2014.
Thanks to everyone who commented and helped me with expectations and recommendations, especially you Rat. BTW, Belikin is good, drank my body weight in the stuff. Also, good recommendation on the Duty Free booze we saved $ for sure. Drank a bunch of Rum too, have to in the Caribbean.

BrianM
07-24-2013, 09:34 PM
Glad you had a great time.

Can't wait to go back.

To me those "sub par" hotels are the charm of San Pedro. I don't like big resorts and all of the 10-20 room hotels on San Pedro are just my speed.

h2oskifreak
07-24-2013, 10:41 PM
Glad you had a great time.

Can't wait to go back.

To me those "sub par" hotels are the charm of San Pedro. I don't like big resorts and all of the 10-20 room hotels on San Pedro are just my speed.

I don't have to have a big resort. The place we stayed is 20 or so rooms. The "quality" is what I was speaking to when I said "sub-par". I am a little (ok, a lot spoiled), but most of the place were just dives (pun intended). I truly only saw 3/4 that I would even consider staying at.

Forgot to mention Wahoo's "Chicken Drop" on Thurs. evenings. Had a lot of fun and my wife won the first time we played. Not surprised, she's a winner through and through.

TxsRiverRat
07-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Anytime man! Glad you enjoyed... Sad to hear your bad review of Palapa, it was one of my faves... Sounds like you missed out on Fido’s, Geo’s and the street vendor @ Caye Mart!

The chicken drop was hysterical – I can’t believe you won!

Who did you Scuba with? The fishing trip sounds like an adventure!

Beliken... I may go back to Ambergris just for the beer!

h2oskifreak
07-25-2013, 06:59 PM
Anytime man! Glad you enjoyed... Sad to hear your bad review of Palapa, it was one of my faves... Sounds like you missed out on Fido’s, Geo’s and the street vendor @ Caye Mart!

The chicken drop was hysterical – I can’t believe you won!

Who did you Scuba with? The fishing trip sounds like an adventure!

Beliken... I may go back to Ambergris just for the beer!

I looked for the vendor and he was never there. I like Rickie's Market a bit better than Caye Mart, the refrigeration seemed better. We went diving with Chuck and Robbies. I am sure Palapa would be really fun during peak season. When we were there, maybe 4 other people. Wet Willie's was rocking one night and a few people went over the railing.

TxsRiverRat
07-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Wet Willie's was rocking one night and a few people went over the railing.

LOL - I really liked wet willies, especially the buzzed karaoke nights... we were picking the longest songs possible to keep the spanish songs to a minimum...

Uneasy Rider, LA Woman, Hot Rod Lincoln and Hootchie Cootchie Man :D