PDA

View Full Version : Making a shot-ski (need a ski)

mlawler34
02-07-2013, 02:10 PM
Hey guys I am looking to make a shot-ski from an old slalom ski for up north. I have a few ideas on how I am going to go about it, but i am missing the main piece! Having not grown up water skiing I do not have any old slalom skis I could use and do not really know anyone I could ask. May poke around at my dealers boat show next week tho.

I was wondering if anyone of the many avid skiers on the board would be willing to sell me something cheap? I am looking for as colorful and outrageous as possible in graphics. Doesn't matter what kind of ski. Biggest thing is I would like it to be longer than 66".

My plans include 4 MasterCraft shot glasses and I am sure a decal or two. I am still contemplating the best way to secure (either permanently or temporarily) to the ski, but will research more as I get everything.

I am avidly searching craigslist etc. Obviously trying to stay very cheap. Thought this may be as good a place as any to start.

Thanks! Also feel free to post pictures of your shot-ski! I am in the early stages looking for ideas!

mlawler34
02-07-2013, 02:11 PM
This may have been better suited in the Off topic discussion

mzimme
02-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Hey guys I am looking to make a shot-ski from an old slalom ski for up north. I have a few ideas on how I am going to go about it, but i am missing the main piece! Having not grown up water skiing I do not have any old slalom skis I could use and do not really know anyone I could ask. May poke around at my dealers boat show next week tho.

I was wondering if anyone of the many avid skiers on the board would be willing to sell me something cheap? I am looking for as colorful and outrageous as possible in graphics. Doesn't matter what kind of ski. Biggest thing is I would like it to be longer than 66".

My plans include 4 MasterCraft shot glasses and I am sure a decal or two. I am still contemplating the best way to secure (either permanently or temporarily) to the ski, but will research more as I get everything.

I am avidly searching craigslist etc. Obviously trying to stay very cheap. Thought this may be as good a place as any to start.

Thanks! Also feel free to post pictures of your shot-ski! I am in the early stages looking for ideas!

I don't have one yet (but I intend to make one). The best way I have seen to get the shot glasses to stay on the ski was to use those rubber chair leg caps like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKVPR2/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B007VCUBO0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1JKQE6AMDMZSWEY07GG5

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21VkGi6tFPL.jpg

Measure a shot glass and buy the feet so you have to press the glass into the open end of the end caps. Being rubber, they'll "stick" and wont fall out when turned upside down, but you can still pull the glasses out to refill them, wash them, etc. Put those end caps on the ski so the open end faces up, and use a screw to fasten them to the ski. Now you've created a shot ski. Fill up your shot glasses, stick them in the "holders" (chair end caps), and get drunk!

As for the ski, check craigslist and just buy an old combo ski set. Wood would be even cooler. They can be had cheap.

mlawler34
02-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Great idea on the rubber chair leg caps!

I have been looking at Ebay and looks like i can probably get something either wooden or composite for under $40.

mzimme
02-07-2013, 03:03 PM
Where are you in the mid-west?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/spo/3594004165.html

mlawler34
02-07-2013, 03:20 PM
I am in Michigan. Is that wood? I think we are leaning toward a wooden ski now. Found an old Connelly on Ebay I am going to bid on. 6 days left so far.

mzimme
02-07-2013, 03:57 PM
I am in Michigan. Is that wood? I think we are leaning toward a wooden ski now. Found an old Connelly on Ebay I am going to bid on. 6 days left so far.

I don't think that one is wood. Looks like it but I think it's composite. Cheap though! If you find one around KC, I'd be happy to go grab it and ship it off to you.

pmkkdx
02-07-2013, 04:19 PM
I am still trying to figure out what a shot-ski is??? maybe I am being dense :confused:

mzimme
02-07-2013, 04:25 PM
I am still trying to figure out what a shot-ski is??? maybe I am being dense :confused:

A ski with shot glasses on it... basically a way to take shots with other people at the same time using the same device.

Start:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2645/3904190875_d986114a3c.jpg

Finish:

http://sunskier.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/shot-ski.jpg

mlawler34
02-07-2013, 04:27 PM
Beat me to it!

mlawler34
02-07-2013, 04:28 PM
I don't think that one is wood. Looks like it but I think it's composite. Cheap though! If you find one around KC, I'd be happy to go grab it and ship it off to you.

Thanks! I appreciate it and I will let you know!

Also check out http://www.shot-ski.com/ they have brackets for the shot glasses. A little nicer route than the rubber chair leg

pmkkdx
02-07-2013, 04:56 PM
A ski with shot glasses on it... basically a way to take shots with other people at the same time using the same device.

Start:

Finish:

ahhhhhhh! thanks!

thatsmrmastercraft
02-07-2013, 05:54 PM

Start:

Finish:

Exercise caution when using a shot-ski. It appears you change both location and appearance (sometimes gender) while in use.:rolleyes:

mzimme
02-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Exercise caution when using a shot-ski. It appears you change both location and appearance (sometimes gender) while in use.:rolleyes:

This is a fair warning. ;)

thatsmrmastercraft
02-07-2013, 05:58 PM
This is a fair warning. ;)

I will say there are some potential drawbacks to using the shot-ski, but they typically aren't felt till morning.

mzimme
02-07-2013, 06:02 PM
I will say there are some potential drawbacks to using the shot-ski, but they typically aren't felt till morning.

The thing about a shot-ski is that when you line up to take a shot with your buddies... you have to go down the line and have everyone purchase one. It's like getting the next round of beers for everyone on the ski. Do this for the number of people that you have, and stay away from operating motorized equipment. I recommend the following for the rounds:

Rumpleminz
Jameson
Goldschlager
Crown
Jagermeister (if there's a 5th round).

Should be good to go after you hammer that out in 15 minutes or so. :D

thatsmrmastercraft
02-07-2013, 06:09 PM
The thing about a shot-ski is that when you line up to take a shot with your buddies... you have to go down the line and have everyone purchase one. It's like getting the next round of beers for everyone on the ski. Do this for the number of people that you have, and stay away from operating motorized equipment. I recommend the following for the rounds:

Rumpleminz
Jameson
Goldschlager
Crown
Jagermeister (if there's a 5th round).

Should be good to go after you hammer that out in 15 minutes or so. :D

Nice line-up. I was at a bar that made a shot-ski out of two downhill skis together that held 7 or 8 glasses. The rest is a little foggy.

tex
02-07-2013, 09:35 PM
I made one several years ago and it works great. Check craigslist and garage sales!

mlawler34
02-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Thanks for all the warnings, suggestions and overall good cheer. Looking forward to getting this made. I will posts pics!

snobinge
02-08-2013, 01:56 PM
We had one in college that was 20 or 32oz??? cups instead of shots. You had 4-5 people slamming large cups of beer and the slow drinkers got a beer shower. Much more of a sport than a "shot"-ski in my opinion. Not that hard to keep up with 1oz of liquid when ski is tilted...

03geetee
02-08-2013, 02:46 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/o3geetee/FourthofJulyandthezoo030.jpg

We have been doing this for years....the trick is to buy the glasses first then match the holes so the glasses just press fit in. They will still pop out but when you do your "shots" you hold the bottom of the glass that is popping through the bottom of the ski. Then when you tip it over there is no way you will have it fall out since your holding it and the ski wont slide out and pop you in the face if you use a tapered shot glass.

Good times we almost sunk the boat on that one!

JTR

mlawler34
02-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Nice! Very much looking forward to this! The ebay auction I am watching literally cannot end soon enough!

Skipper
02-08-2013, 05:26 PM
Man, that was a perfectly good Jobe ski!

jeff shelton
02-08-2013, 06:05 PM

We have been doing this for years....the trick is to buy the glasses first then match the holes so the glasses just press fit in. They will still pop out but when you do your "shots" you hold the bottom of the glass that is popping through the bottom of the ski. Then when you tip it over there is no way you will have it fall out since your holding it and the ski wont slide out and pop you in the face if you use a tapered shot glass.

JTR

Is that boat sinking or is there alot of ballast in the boat.

jeff shelton
02-08-2013, 06:09 PM

JTR

You have to love the colorful jobe skis. I used to have a spectra 1200, 1600 and then the jobe next back in the early 90's when I slalom ski all the time.

03geetee
02-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Man, that was a perfectly good Jobe ski!

LOL!!!

We cut that thing up the minute I found it in my attic of the garage! Sacrifices must be made, now do that to one of my HO skis and your balls will be handed to you!

JTR

03geetee
02-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Is that boat sinking or is there alot of ballast in the boat.

We are just fat.

Carry on!

JTR

jeff shelton
02-08-2013, 06:28 PM
We are just fat.

Carry on!

JTR
There's a reason I haven't slalomed skied since the 90's maybe I should join the beachbody training club.

03geetee
02-08-2013, 06:35 PM
There's a reason I haven't slalomed skied since the 90's maybe I should join the beachbody training club.

Hey our boat hauls my fat *** up keep on doing it if you and your boat can!

JTR

Rockman
02-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Came home from work today and got an early Birthday Gift from my wifey and kids...couple months in the works.:D

It will get plenty of use tomorrow night! :toast:

03geetee
02-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Now that is sweet!!!!!!!!!

JTR

thatsmrmastercraft
02-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Fantastic Rockman......well, except for the tip:rolleyes:

You have a great family!!!

03geetee
02-08-2013, 07:41 PM

ROR!!!

That's a good one pete!

JTR

thatsmrmastercraft
02-08-2013, 07:56 PM
ROR!!!

That's a good one pete!

JTR

I couldn't help myself.

Rockman
02-08-2013, 09:10 PM

No gophers allowed in this house! :noface:

Only MN school I would root for is UMD...Go Bulldogs!:D

byronic
02-09-2013, 11:37 AM

Hey mlawler34 I do have an old Obrien Performers combo you could have. Looks to be from the 80's Not wood, and the graphics aren't as cool as the Jobe in #21 but it is purple on the bottom with purple and black graphics on top. If you're ever in Boyne City you could pick it up.

mlawler34
02-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Hey mlawler34 I do have an old Obrien Performers combo you could have. Looks to be from the 80's Not wood, and the graphics aren't as cool as the Jobe in #21 but it is purple on the bottom with purple and black graphics on top. If you're ever in Boyne City you could pick it up.

Dangit! I was in Boyne last weekend!but I will let you know. Purple would suit my fancy!

mlawler34
02-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Thanks to Rockman for making this project that much harder as I try to live up to that shot ski!!!!

I see the shot glasses are set into the ski, is there anything in the recessed hole helping to hold the shot glass???

Rockman
02-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Thanks to Rockman for making this project that much harder as I try to live up to that shot ski!!!!

I see the shot glasses are set into the ski, is there anything in the recessed hole helping to hold the shot glass???

The holes are drilled all the way thru...tapered on the bottom so the shot glass fit snug...

I would suggest using the most flat ski you can find...curved ones may not work so well.

My wife took the oldest, dirtiest ski we have hangng in the rafters in our basement and her friends did a great job finishing it as to what it looks like now. With all the skis we have, I did not notice one was missing...

_fng_
02-09-2013, 04:06 PM
Came home from work today and got an early Birthday Gift from my wifey and kids...couple months in the works.:D

It will get plenty of use tomorrow night! :toast:

Fantastic ski and heck of a gift!! I think you should break in the ski with a round of shots to celebrate today's W versus Michigan.

Rockman
02-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Fantastic ski and heck of a gift!! I think you should break in the ski with a round of shots to celebrate today's W versus Michigan.

You know, that sounds like a really good idea! Maybe I will post up some picks later tonight!:D

mlawler34
06-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Well I cannot out do Rockmans great shot ski posted on page 3, but I think mine is pretty unique in its own right, but I will let you be the judge. I finally finished this project up for Memorial day weekend. There was a lot of really good tequila taken from this thing!

For reference, myself in the middle, father on the left, future father in law on the right. I got engaged on my Xstar only an hour or so prior to this pic!

mzimme
06-07-2013, 10:44 AM
NICE!! good work... and congrats!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Great job and a fine way to break it in. Congrats :toast: