PDA

View Full Version : Corrosion on lug bolts

GoneBoatN
02-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Anyone do anything to slow down the corrosion process on the lug bolts of the rotor/hub?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
02-06-2013, 08:33 PM
You can apply Permatex 80078 Anti-Seize Lubricant to the studs but make doubly sure you check the torque after a few miles, I have done this to my studs both trailers and vehicles for years and never have had one loosen, rust solid or strip out.

cf_koch
02-10-2013, 01:41 PM
I will second the Anti-Seize. With the salt that is put on the roads in the winter in Ohio, I use it all of the time for many years and have never had one loosen or rust in place since.

frankster66
02-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Anti-Seize… never had an issue.

"I but that **** on everything"

Miss Rita
02-11-2013, 10:47 AM
I use a lot of anti-sieze as well, but I've heard about problems torquing lug nuts. Some advice from Tire Rack:

"Wheel lug torque specifications are for clean threads that are free of dirt, grit, etc. If applying an anti-seize lubricant, it is important to note it can be applied only on the threads of nuts or bolts. The lubricant must not be used on either seat of the hardware of the wheel. With the seat being the main point of friction where torque is measured, extreme caution must be used if an anti-seize lubricant is applied to the threads as excess can either drip or be pushed onto the lug seat resulting in inaccurate torque values."

ZachDaddy
02-26-2013, 09:00 PM
BoeiShield is the answer your looking for. Because is a penetration liquid, it will resist the corrosion.