PDA

View Full Version : Front Hitch?

Dylan
02-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Hello,
I searched high and low to find an anwer, but to no avail.

Bought a new house at the end of December, and finally had time to build a large side gate (12'), and should start having the brick pavers installed this weekend depending on the weather. My problem is that along the front of the house I have several obsticals to jog around. I have a block wall on the property line shared with my neighbor, immediately next to my gate. I also have a power pole directly in front of the house, fire hydrant and a palm tree to dodge. I can take out the palm but my wife would hate me more than usual.

I've ran across several possibilities from buying a lawn tractor with hitch, to buying a shorter wheelbase junker (Jeep or similar) to move the trailer (last resort). Does a front hitch help any? I pride myself in being well skilled at backing. However when building the gate and bringing material over there for the fence and bricks I have noticed it's more difficuly than I thought it would be. Does the front hitch allow more articulation in smaller spaces? Logic would seem to tell me yes, but that isn't always true in the real world.

A power caster is out of the question. I have too many changing surfaces right now from soil, concrete curbs, large river rocks and transitioning to the brick pavers.

Thanks for your help!

ski_king
02-06-2013, 04:15 PM
This is what ya need, but you could probably pick up a cheap garden tractor cheaper.

http://jlombardo.hostcentric.com/tescotug/images/Jenna-Tug-006w.jpg

mzimme
02-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Front hitch would definitely give you better control through tight places. But hell, if you can afford to get a little jeep... do it! They're fun off the pavement as an added bonus :)

Forrest-X45
02-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Yes - having the trailer pivot point close to the steering axle makes a big difference. You can spin the trailer on it's own axis very quickly but it will also jack knife quickly. Small corrections is an understatement. I have a front receiver hitch on my truck and works very well moving a trailer in very tight spaces.

Dylan
02-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Okay I'm going to pick up the front hitch this week. 20-45min install time... I should know the outcome fairly quickly. At the very least, she can see how hard I am trying :-)

Might be picking up a new boat this weekend, need to get this figured out!

dfmaus
02-06-2013, 05:27 PM
I can't believe everyone is passing up the obvious "this is what you need" jokes with the attractive woman in the pic

Dylan
02-06-2013, 05:48 PM
I can't believe everyone is passing up the obvious "this is what you need" jokes with the attractive woman in the pic

I already have my hands full with the one I have, two would bankrupt me!

GT500 MC
02-06-2013, 06:05 PM

Agreed. I didn't even notice that other thing attached to the trailer. She should go in the swimsuit thread.

Sierra Tango II
02-06-2013, 06:50 PM
I have the same problem where i live so I had a hitch put on the front of my truck. I love the manueverability, however even after buying the biggest drop hitch I could find, i still have clearance problems with the prop guard. I have a 1998 PS 190 and a stock height F350. This is the only problem that I have had and I only have it when backing in my Mastercraft due to the low clearance in the back. I tried using my JD 316 and although there is plenty of power, if you get on any incline whatsoever its fairly easy to lose control. I was at a marina the other day and saw them using a small forklift which seemed to work really well.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-06-2013, 07:55 PM
I have the same problem where i live so I had a hitch put on the front of my truck. I love the manueverability, however even after buying the biggest drop hitch I could find, i still have clearance problems with the prop guard. I have a 1998 PS 190 and a stock height F350. This is the only problem that I have had and I only have it when backing in my Mastercraft due to the low clearance in the back. I tried using my JD 316 and although there is plenty of power, if you get on any incline whatsoever its fairly easy to lose control. I was at a marina the other day and saw them using a small forklift which seemed to work really well.

Since you are obviously not going far or fast with the boat attached to the front, why not make (or have a local welding shop) a drop hitch to fit?

Dylan
02-07-2013, 10:27 AM

Bought and installed yesterday. I need to buy an extended shank, 4" rise. Will hopefully give it a go this weekend.

ski_king
02-07-2013, 11:01 AM

Bought and installed yesterday. I need to buy an extended shank, 4" rise. Will hopefully give it a go this weekend.

Why not just flip the hitch over with the ball on the other side? Or would that be too high?

Dylan
02-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Why not just flip the hitch over with the ball on the other side? Or would that be too high?

I thought about that, but definitely need both a larger rise, and further out from the bumper. The hitch is really tucked up under my tundra bumper, which is great because its hardly noticeable

BrooksfamX2
02-07-2013, 11:21 AM
I have the same problem where i live so I had a hitch put on the front of my truck. I love the manueverability, however even after buying the biggest drop hitch I could find, i still have clearance problems with the prop guard..

I have an aluminum 10" drop hitch, but turn it upside down for a 9" rise. I use it when towing my Jeep behind the motorhome.

http://www.rjays.com/Rjays_hitches/hitch-01.htm

mzimme
02-07-2013, 11:23 AM
I thought about that, but definitely need both a larger rise, and further out from the bumper. The hitch is really tucked up under my tundra bumper, which is great because its hardly noticeable

Get your extension and rise all in one shot! (If it clears)

http://www.amazon.com/ToolShopUSA-Dual-Hitch-Extension-Pounds/dp/B000CC29PK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1360254099&sr=8-11&keywords=hitch+extension

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VNuHb0HsL.jpg

Sierra Tango II
02-07-2013, 11:24 AM
I have an aluminum 10" drop hitch, but turn it upside down for a 9" rise. I use it when towing my Jeep behind the motorhome.

http://www.rjays.com/Rjays_hitches/hitch-01.htm

That should work for me. Thanks for the info!:)

Bouyhead
02-07-2013, 12:27 PM
This is definately overkill. My buddie needed to get our 8X14 enclosed trailer into a tight spot with the tailgate of the trailer facing out. He borrowed a power wheel barrow and removed the bucket. It moved the trailer w/ 3 full dresser Harleys like nobody's business!

Dylan
02-07-2013, 12:27 PM
I was thinking something like this:

http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Hidden-Hitch/80233.html

However, I think I have an old hitch I inherited in one of the zillion boxes I am yet to unpack. I'll dig around and see if I can find it.

Theclarks1111
02-07-2013, 02:20 PM
That power wheel barrow is intense.

petermegan
02-07-2013, 03:48 PM
This is what ya need, but you could probably pick up a cheap garden tractor cheaper.

http://jlombardo.hostcentric.com/tescotug/images/Jenna-Tug-006w.jpg

Oh yes, definitely need one of those. :D

Snipe
02-07-2013, 04:35 PM
I put a front hitch on my F-150. Best $140.00 I ever spent. No more neck pains for tight turns. Granted mirrors work fine for straight stretches but when you have a lot of turns......
front hitch.:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

Dylan
02-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Agreed that power wheel barrow is unreal. I had no idea something like that even existed!

Found the old hitch in the box, and although it is a little close to the bumper, it is perfect. I think an extension would make it too long. I'm hoping I get to try it out this weekend!

Dylan
06-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Alright, I'm back to this. Front hitch helped the situation, but I have to say it's still a PITA. My truck is too large to maneuver without a spotter. Had a close call with the hydrant :-( Palm tree has been relocated, but I still need a better solution. Here is a pic before I installed the sprinklers:

As you can see, I have two major obstacles in my lawn. One, the fire hydrant. Two, the power pole in front (only the shadow shown). Also notice the large river rocks. Although I hate them, I don't hate them enough to remove and replace so they are staying. Can anyone think of a viable solution?

AJs97prostar
06-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Why can't you park it in the garage? Or pave two strips for tire tracks so you can get it in there. Or you can get a trailer dolly from Harbor freight for $52. Your grass is going to look horrible affer manuvering it into that side gate. Your wife is going to hate you even more when the lawns torn up.

sheckski
06-07-2013, 08:23 PM
I have a turn that makes it impossible irrespective of hitch position. I got one of those. Works brilliantly. 96338

sethro
06-08-2013, 07:47 AM
I have a total of $450 in this trailer mover...granted it was a good deal but there are good deals on garden tractors everywhere. However, by the looks of things in your area people don't have lawns and so there probably isn't a lot of garden tractors on the market. :) The tongue jack wheel is off the ground, but I keep it close in case something goes wrong.

Dylan
06-11-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks for everyones reply. We shuffle between a small travel trailer, and the boat. The boat stays in the garage during the winter, and goes to AZ during the summer. Probably a total of 5 times a year going over the lawn. However, our current boat barely fits in the garage as it is, and we have been looking at buying a different boat sometime in the future.

After seeing Sethro's photo, I'm going to pursue a garden tractor. I would much rather have a power mover, but I'm not sure it'll work over the large river rocks. Thanks everyone for the ideas!

gtbutler
06-14-2013, 09:13 AM
As for the river rocks, just get yourself a few "old" sheets of 4 x 8 plywood. They don't have to be super thick, but it will make the job of pushing the trailer over those river rocks much easier and the push vehicle (mower, truck, wife in skimpy bathing suit) won't have issues getting over those rocks. I've been known to frequent construction sites scanning for plywood that they trash. After you get over the rocks, the plywood can be "stored" under the boat.

SJ.
06-25-2013, 07:22 PM
I already have my hands full with the one I have, two would bankrupt me!

Maybe just by the machine and 'rent' the girl.