PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Pro Star Resto..(maybe)

Bouyhead
02-04-2013, 03:26 PM
So I picked up this 84 PS 190 over the weekend. It was advertized as a 82 but was an 84'
I had a ton of questions about this vintage but I read the history thread posted by C36 and all the resto threads posted hear and got most thing covered. I thought MC went to all composite in 85' but according to C36 it was 83' Not sure how far I want to go with this project just yet. Seems to be a good candidate for a resto, how deep I go is to be determined. I do have a few questions, some pics attached:
1. Is there a way to check to see if the foam under the floor is soaked?
2. Is the floor fiberglass all the way up to the bow?
3. Is this the original location for the fuse block?
4. Are these the original decals?

Any input or comments are welcome, Thanks!

jhall0711
02-04-2013, 03:35 PM
1. Is there a way to check to see if the foam under the floor is soaked?

The floor and stinger system is bonded all the way around to the dies of the boat. It would be odd (in my opinion) to have water under the floor. If you wanted to check you would have to cut holes in the fiberglass floor.

2. Is the floor fiberglass all the way up to the bow?

Yes. The main contruction of the boat will contain no wood. The only wood in the boat will be the seat bases and side pads.

3. Is this the original location for the fuse block?

I dont think so. My fuses on my 89 are located up under the dash, not in the battery box. I could be wrong on this one as I have not seen too many of these boats up close or investiated that closely. Someone will chime in on this one.

4. Are these the original decals?

No. This would have originally had stars on it. The graphics that are on it are more similar to the 87-90/91-94 decals.

WilliM1940
02-04-2013, 04:03 PM
This is a 19' Skier, not a Prostar. I have heard water can get into the foam through the swim platform bracket mounts in the back as the lag bolts loosen. Check for water in the foam by removing selected motor mount bracket bolts. You can access foam from there. These will probably need to be tightened anyway. If the hull is not cracked, the engine sound, and the running gear not damaged, it should be a nice restore.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-04-2013, 04:12 PM
Congrats on finding a great project. This is going to be a great thread to watch. When I got my boat, it also had the stars removed and newer Mastercraft lettering on the side in attempt to make it look newer.

mikeg205
02-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Not fair - nice project... :) ... can't wait for engine pics....

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

occva
02-04-2013, 07:18 PM
It even came with the star keychain!

Jerseydave
02-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Looks like a nice project, more pics please!

Jim@BAWS can hook you up with the proper decals when you restore.

The red boat in the pic has the proper graphics (Dogpaw's boat from Lake Anna VA)

JohnE
02-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Nice find Mike. Interestingly somewhere in the past week here I read that wood stringers were sporatically used into 1984 which contradicts everything I've read in the past 10 years. I forget who posted it but is seemed credible when I read it and there is really now way to know for sure

mikeg205
02-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Looks like a nice project, more pics please!

Jim@BAWS can hook you up with the proper decals when you restore.

The red boat in the pic has the proper graphics (Dogpaw's boat from Lake Anna VA)

There's some gorgeous flake vinyl to make the decals pop - pricey but very nice...here we go spending your money ;)

madcityskier
02-04-2013, 08:45 PM
No wood. Looked back at the engine picks in the listing. Motor mounts are a give away. If you're on Facebook check out The MasterCraft Project. Lots of knowledgeable people re: Stars and Stripes there. Mikeg205 turned me on to it. There are a couple amazing projects in the works.
Decals and fuses are definitely not original.

phickman
02-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Nice find. There can be some water seep in around the swim platform brackets. Check and see if all are tight. Make sure they are not stripped out. If you remove the brackets for wet-sanding or storage make sure you clear silicon around the brackets and the heads of the bolts. This will prevent seepage into any of the foam..etc. It seems over time on some boats the swim brackets pull loose. To properly fix you can remove the fuel tank and cut an access holes to put a backer plate and fix it properly. Some choose to add removable swim platform brackets. Nice find and you own a "Skier 19" ProStar name came in 1987.

liledgy
02-05-2013, 01:23 PM
I'm pretty sure your platform is bolted on like an 85. My 83 was lagged (early model with wood stringers) my buddy had an identical, but mid year 83 with fiberglass stringers. I don't know if his platform was lagged or bolted. I never took the tank (aluminum like my 83), so I'm not sure about 84. Some 84's (probably mid year) had plastic tanks like the 85's. the gas cap was on the drivers side for aluminum tanks and passenger side for plastic.

phickman
02-05-2013, 11:18 PM
86 models were bolted. I have personally removed the platform on two.

Bouyhead
02-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the comments and all the input guys. I'm definitely a little more educated! Kudos to occva for spotting the keychain, it was up on the dash but I thru it in for the pic to see if anyone would notice it :cool: I'll have a lot more questions when I jump into my new project. Spent the last two days prepping the truck & my 96' PS for a two week trip to Okeeheelee,FL. Should be there sat. Or sun. I'll send a pic of my MC along side a dock full of Nautiques!

madcityskier
02-06-2013, 09:15 PM
I saw it, but it looked like it was the newer font, not the original decal that would've come on the boat. Maybe I'm wrong, it wasn't easy to see very clearly. Platform should be bolted as was stated. No wood stringers to draw a lag bolt into.

dukemastercraft
02-07-2013, 11:23 AM
I am restoring my 1980 and FB Mastercraft Project is the best place to find everything Stars & Stripes. Here is what I am working on now!file://localhost/Users/Duke/Desktop/Marketing%20Plan/assets/fallback/index.html

Bouyhead
03-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Previous owner ran the boat with both exhaust manifolds leaking trashing the bolts holding them on. I figure addressing the manifold bolts and two busted spark plugs would be easier with the heads off so I proceed to try to remove the heads. Now i find that some of the external head bolts are different sizes due to all the corrosion. Port side head removal goes as planned, starboard side doesn't. Of course it's the last bolt:mad: I need to hammer a socket onto the headbolt but can't with the manifold in place so I decided to remove the manifold with the trusty old lump hammer! Really hoping I can save these heads.

Rest of the boat looks pretty good. Thought I could save the carpet but that was a no go. Having a hot water hose is the bomb for cleanig a nasty bilge on a cold day. Anyone know the reason for the patches in the floor?

thatsmrmastercraft
03-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Amazing what a can of worms one gets into with a used boat.

If you can't save the heads, it will be easier to justify GT-40P heads.:rolleyes:

MikeyOrange88
03-04-2013, 01:23 PM
I still have my old heads from an '88 351W.
One is in great shape and usable, but the other had a minor leak at #8 cylinder.
Not sure if they would work for you or not or if both of your heads are trashed. The one in the picture doesn't look salvable to me, but you never know what a good machine shop could do with them. I don't remember the casting numbers on my heads, but let me know if you're interested in them.

Bouyhead
03-05-2013, 09:31 AM
I still have my old heads from an '88 351W.
One is in great shape and usable, but the other had a minor leak at #8 cylinder.
Not sure if they would work for you or not or if both of your heads are trashed. The one in the picture doesn't look salvable to me, but you never know what a good machine shop could do with them. I don't remember the casting numbers on my heads, but let me know if you're interested in them.
Thanks MikeyOrange! I'll PM you if I'm going to take you up on the offer. Where in the Southeast are you? I'm driving to FL. in the next week or so.

Well my machinist buddie was off to the races with the head, then he broke out the needle scaler and presto! my heads are no good:mad: Amazing that such a heavy casting can rot from the outdide in. This project could be a bust, buy a set of heads, gaskets, misc stuff and i'm halfway to the cost of a jasper motor with no guarentee. Go the jasper route, new carpet, interior, and i sell someone a sweet boat but don't make a profit. Arrgh!

Here's some before and after pics of the head.

TRBenj
03-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Are you really in NYC? If youre looking for a set of serviceable heads for cheap, Ive got a pair of stock E7's that came off my '90 PCM 351w that I'd sell cheap. Im about 2 hrs from the city if you wanted to avoid shipping them.

Bouyhead
03-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Are you really in NYC? If youre looking for a set of serviceable heads for cheap, Ive got a pair of stock E7's that came off my '90 PCM 351w that I'd sell cheap. Im about 2 hrs from the city if you wanted to avoid shipping them.

Thanks. PM sent.

MikeyOrange88
03-05-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm just south of Jacksonville, FL.
The heads had 600 hours on them when I removed them.
Let me know if you're interested, I've had them sitting around for awhile now, so they aren't going anywhere. Good Luck.

SWGA Boater
03-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Thanks MikeyOrange! I'll PM you if I'm going to take you up on the offer. Where in the Southeast are you? I'm driving to FL. in the next week or so.

Well my machinist buddie was off to the races with the head, then he broke out the needle scaler and presto! my heads are no good:mad: Amazing that such a heavy casting can rot from the outdide in. This project could be a bust, buy a set of heads, gaskets, misc stuff and i'm halfway to the cost of a jasper motor with no guarentee. Go the jasper route, new carpet, interior, and i sell someone a sweet boat but don't make a profit. Arrgh!

Here's some before and after pics of the head.

Wow on the heads :eek: I had bought a bolt out kit from Sears that works really well on rounded bolt heads. The sockets really grab the rounded head and hold it tight. The kit wasn't too expensive.