PDA

View Full Version : Best Mastercraft Crossover?

sassybrassie
02-03-2013, 02:28 PM
We're looking for a good crossover boat. Interested in Mastercraft. I was a skier growing up but haven't been on a ski in 15 years. We want a good sized family boat and one that will be a good ski and wakeboard boat. I don't want a pure ski boat, but I want to be able to ski. We will have several beginner (adult and children) skiers. We are a family of four but have 6 additional adults and 3 additional children in our family living nearby. It would be nice to get as many family members on the boat at one time as possible. So there's a total of 8 adults and 5 kids. I'm sure we will do a lot of tubing and eventually the kids will get into wakeboarding. Looking at used boats. Price isn't a huge issue but don't want to spend over $50k. Been researching the X30, 25, 15. Any suggestions? Thank you.

HRC
02-03-2013, 03:13 PM
I bought an '01 Prostar 205v last spring and we're happy with it. My son is just learning on a wakeboard and skis and I'm an ok skier so without water in the bags the wake is not too bad for skiing but the bags do a good job for someone with a little experience on a wakeboard.
Where in Ar. are you? We go to Greers Ferry quite a bit.

jhall0711
02-03-2013, 04:58 PM
I would be looking at the 214/214v or the x14/x14.

sand2snow22
02-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.nwboatsports.com/#!inventory/vstc2=2007_x2

Jerseydave
02-03-2013, 11:23 PM
The best crossover in a direct drive would be a 209/X9 or Prostar 205.

But since you need space for 8 adults and 5 kids you should look at an X30 ('06 or newer)
An attitude adjustment plate should help the slalom wake, but don't expect it to be great like a direct drive....still much better than any I/O though. You should be able to find one under $50K.

Jerseydave
02-03-2013, 11:30 PM
http://www.boattrader.com/search-results/NewOrUsed-any/Type-all/Zip-08534/Radius-4000/Make-Mastercraft/Keyword-x30/Sort-Length:DESC

Looks like plenty of X-30's to choose from.....happy shopping!

rkhodges21
02-03-2013, 11:32 PM
Maybe look for a Maristar 240? Hard to find but it's a 24' direct drive boat. Not sure how the ski wake is though.

XtwentyNot
02-04-2013, 01:04 AM
Ask and you shall receive:

http://www.nwboatsports.com/#!inventory/vstc2=2007_x2

How much is the X15? My money would be on that. Doesn't sound like he's looking at direct drive boats, which is very wise with all those people.

musicmd
02-04-2013, 11:15 AM
I love the room in my X-10. Granted we haven't yet skied behind it, due to the fact I bought it late in the 2012, but we loved the passenger room and storage in our 2004 X-10. I know it will do a nice job for our wakeboarders and have been told it will be more than acceptable for recreational skiers.

neil.anderson63
02-04-2013, 11:28 AM
We had a '05 X9 - LOVED IT!!! It came down to a space issue. Great ski and ride boat. My son is an agressive rider and was able to do land flips. I would take a hard look at the X14. A friend has a '05 X10 and loves it.
6 people in our family - We went to a 07 X2

musicmd
02-04-2013, 11:40 AM
Frankly, it seems like there are many great choices for crossover within the MC family. I made my choice on available room inside the boat, storage and price. My dealer gave me a great deal on my boat, but I know I could have waited and found other options.

Truthfully, the boat I narrowly missed was a Signature 209 which was 8 years old, 500 hours for $18k. It was being sold by a motorcycle/RV/PWC dealer who underpriced it so far that it was gone when I called, about 4 hours after I saw it on the website. (It spent 2 days on the dealer's lot).

There are lots of great MC choices and lots of good deals which come up. Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with.

CruisinGA
02-04-2013, 01:25 PM
X9 is well within your price range.

In any one day on the water our X9 is
- Loaded with ~1000lbs ballast and riders throwing flips, tantrums, scarecrows
- Hauling *** at 43 barefooting
- Pulling a pair of tubes for my sisters friends
- 10 ppl on board and someone surfing
- cruising down the lake at sunset

Only other boat I would entertain is a x14- might be in your price range.
Our X9 was a steal at $20k 4 years ago, 300 trouble free hrs since!

02ProstarSammyD
02-04-2013, 01:27 PM
x8 on the x9 if you don't mind a DD. Love mine and I usually have 6 or 7 ride. The most I've had ride is like 9 and it pretty much sucked though but I feel like thats any boat

eficalibrator
02-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Your big decision will basically be whether "crossover" includes running a slalom course or not. IMO, none of the V drives felt decent as "learning slalom addict" around 15off and 30mph in the course, so a DD was an absolute must for me. I ended up getting a PS214 (X14) since adding ballast does wonders for making almost anything acceptable for wakeboarding. With tower, seating locations are not a problem with 8+ people and a skier/rider/toober. If you only open water ski, any of the V drives will likely suffice with the added benefit of a more family friendly layout.

PLR
02-04-2013, 02:50 PM
How much is the X15? My money would be on that. Doesn't sound like he's looking at direct drive boats, which is very wise with all those people.

I have an '07 X15 I'm going to sell, and its more than 25% less than that one.....

mramerman@gmail.com
02-04-2013, 02:58 PM
We had a similar list of "needs" when looking for our next boat. We were trading from a '97 PS190. I am a die-hard water skier; however, we were very struggling with a one-dimensional boat.

We live near Lake Washington and need something that can handle some chop. We enjoy long days on the lake with friends. My wife is interested in wake boarding while I wanted to have as shot at surfing.

As you will learn these sports are vastly different and all require entirely different hull and boat configurations for optimal performance. In whatever you choose, you will need to make compromises. In my case, moving from a 190 to an x14 / v-drive increased wake (however, not at all short line).

We chose the x14v. After considerable research we felt this the best option for adding a little size as well as having some scale to make wake-boarding fun and surfing attainable. Moving the engine aft gave us the extra space but did impact wake for skiing. IMHO the x14v has the least wake impact of any of the other x-series boats. Frankly from my experience, the balance have very steep and hard wakes that are not much for skiing with any speed.

We would have considered a DD x14, but space was paramount for hauling friends.

If skiing is important in the mix, I wouldn't look at anything outside of the 214 or x14 family.

mramerman@gmail.com
02-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Perfect timing:

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=52570

rtw_travel
02-04-2013, 04:22 PM
We bought the X14V for the same reasons as mramerman. Our neighbour has an X15. The X15 is definately better for wakeboarding and for carrying lots of people through the chop of a good size lake, but it's not the main boat you'd want to ski behind if you are a serious skier. IMO, the 14V is a better compromise for the skier.

moleson10
02-05-2013, 12:29 AM
X-15 or X-2 would be my vote. Similar boats, one with a conventional bow the other with a pickle. Both great boats for all around use. They are sized to fit an a typical garage and can be towed by an SUV or 1/2 ton pickup without a strain.

I'm a bit surprised by the X-30 recommendations, that's a big boat and not very skier friendly. But if you need the room its good too.