PDA

View Full Version : kidney stones....

milkmania
02-03-2013, 02:21 PM
OMFingG!!!!!
I wanted my momma this morning.... woke up to back pain about 3:00am... pretty typical actually, considering my present back problems......
then BAM!!!!! the BIG ONE hit!!!
the only mildly comfortable position was standing up, then the cold sweats started, and the dizziness.
suffered with it for several hours,had a shot of tequila, considered the ambulance, waited a little longer and had enough!

drove about 5 blocks to ER, pulled up in the Ambulance parking lot, told SIRI to find the hospital.... that @#$%%$$##@@!@! idiot gives me the number for radiology so, I had to google the number.
someone answered, I said I need a wheelchair outside ER doors.
quite surprisingly, I was able to keep time stamps... I felt they were extremely efficient... If I had WALKED into ER, I know it'd been a different story!
The kids came and got me, son drove me home, and now I get to pee in a strainer while on percocet:woohoo:
never been on them before:rolleyes:

Double D
02-03-2013, 02:27 PM
I feel for you brother and God willing, I will never have to feel that pain!!

mikeg205
02-03-2013, 02:59 PM
sorry man....lot's of fluids... no beer now ;).... 2mm get you're favorite libation for when it passes.... glad it's only 2mm and you don't need a sonic blast...

tex
02-03-2013, 03:18 PM
That sucks!

EarmarkMarine
02-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Was it really necessary to bring that up? Now I am certain to start feeling symptoms.

milkmania
02-03-2013, 03:24 PM
sorry man....lot's of fluids... no beer now ;).... 2mm get you're favorite libation for when it passes.... glad it's only 2mm and you don't need a sonic blast...

Beer never touches these lips, and Dr. says 2mm will pass without surgical intervention.... 5mm to 7mm and up requires another trip to the doc:(

I stopped drinking sodas in October, cold turkey... switched to strictly water with a drink additive, or unsweet tea with no additives, and only a couple of those a week at that.
(Drank almost 5 cases of 16.9 ounce Aquafina water in January alone...32 bottles to a case.)
I've only had 2 cups of black coffee since January 17th.

Before October, was abusing 20 ounce Blue Mountain Dew, Cream&Sugar Coffee 8 to 14 cups a day, Sweet Tea, Starbucks Mocha Canned Energy Coffee, and 5 hour energy drinks.

Today was first kidney stone ever.

sethro
02-03-2013, 04:15 PM
I feel your pain, literally...my last one was 10mm so 2mm should be a walk in the park. :D

I've had lithotripsy twice, and the good old fashioned "go in after it" surgery once. I've also passed a few without surgery.

Kidney stones flat out suck!!!!!!!

Double
02-03-2013, 04:58 PM
The first time I got them I thought I was in the movie "Outbreak" and that my insides were liquifying. Drink lots of fluids like the others said, when you see that thing you'll wonder how something that small can make you want death.

Kevin@MWMC
02-04-2013, 01:54 AM
Been there, had a 4mm stone. Woke up at 6am in Vegas of all places with terrible back pain. Suffered for a while then took a trip to ER. Anyone ever in Vegas need a hospital, UMC is a great place. In and out in a few hours. Left with a bunch of pain meds and a "good luck" from the doctor. Nothing else he could do, told me to drink lots of fluids, no alcohol, see your doctor when you get home. Pretty much put the end to that Vegas trip.

Only advice I can give you is stay ahead on the pain meds. Seriously, don't lapse or you'll be hurting. If you do lapse, a quick pain reliever is a hot tub or hot bath. No joke, my ER nurse told me about it. Spent lots of time in my hot tub when I got home. Amazing thing that hot tub can do, only downside is the pain comes right back once you get out. That is until your pain meds kick in again.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

milkmania
02-04-2013, 02:04 AM
Been there, had a 4mm stone. Woke up at 6am in Vegas of all places with terrible back pain. Suffered for a while then took a trip to ER. Anyone ever in Vegas need a hospital, UMC is a great place. In and out in a few hours. Left with a bunch of pain meds and a "good luck" from the doctor. Nothing else he could do, told me to drink lots of fluids, no alcohol, see your doctor when you get home. Pretty much put the end to that Vegas trip.

Only advice I can give you is stay ahead on the pain meds. Seriously, don't lapse or you'll be hurting. If you do lapse, a quick pain reliever is a hot tub or hot bath. No joke, my ER nurse told me about it. Spent lots of time in my hot tub when I got home. Amazing thing that hot tub can do, only downside is the pain comes right back once you get out. That is until your pain meds kick in again.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ironically, that nagging punch in the kidney just came back about 2 minutes ago, and just took another percocet.... so, that'll be number 2 for the day.
I don't do very well taking maintenance meds.... I tend to take them for acute symptoms, so the way I see it, I suffered with it for several hours this morning, so I'm thinking I can hanfle the 30 minutes it takes for the med to kick in.
maybe the plan will work, maybe it won't.... but the toe curling, fidgeting, and kicking myself is already starting :(

edit:
just finished my 7th. 16 ounce of bottled water today, plus had 16 ounces of 100% unsweetened apple juice with lunch.

eurosysytem0
02-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Ive had them three times. Twice in UK once in Germany. Every time blue lighted in ambulance. Twice had S stent fitted between Kidney and bladder. The stent caused me as much grief as the stones. Twice surgically removed and the last one with pain killers and fluids passed naturally. Based on pain, I expected a stone the size of a house brick but it was tiny !!

There was an pleasant side effect from the pain killers though! Codein based. When I "eventually! had a crap the house brick finally and painfully came onto the scene!!

On the first one the Nurse told me she had given birth to three kids and had one kidney stone. She said having kids was easier and less painful.

I wish you luck. The only upside is when you finally get rid of the stone, the relief is just bloody fantastic!

JimN
02-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Beer never touches these lips, and Dr. says 2mm will pass without surgical intervention.... 5mm to 7mm and up requires another trip to the doc:(

I stopped drinking sodas in October, cold turkey... switched to strictly water with a drink additive, or unsweet tea with no additives, and only a couple of those a week at that.
(Drank almost 5 cases of 16.9 ounce Aquafina water in January alone...32 bottles to a case.)

Before October, was abusing 20 ounce Blue Mountain Dew, Cream&Sugar Coffee 8 to 14 cups a day, Sweet Tea, Starbucks Mocha Canned Energy Coffee, and 5 hour energy drinks.

Today was first kidney stone ever.

You stopped drinking all of that stuff and NOW you have a kidney stone. Coincidence? You decide.

CruisinGA
02-04-2013, 08:46 AM

From what I understand, Tea (sweet or unsweet) is about the worst thing out there for kidney stones. :confused:

46Chief
02-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Try eating as many apples a day as possible, at least three but 6 or 7 is better Google it. the fiber will help the bricks as an added bonus.

mikeg205
02-04-2013, 09:22 AM
oh...and we don't need any pictures on this threaded... feeling any better today?

jamica joe
02-04-2013, 09:39 AM
As someone who has passed 25 to 30 of the stones over the last 25 years (one as big as a blackeye pea -- at home), ask your doc for some Toradol (Ketorolac)!!! It helps with the pain, but mostly helps the urethra relax / dilate and you'll be able to pass the stone easier and faster!!

I only went to the ER a couple of times and they gave me the meds and sent me home. got the doc to prescribe the toradol and crrried with me where ever I went.

I finally found the root cause and have not had an attack for over 5 years.

Joe

mikeg205
02-04-2013, 09:41 AM
As someone who has passed 25 to 30 of the stones over the last 25 years (one as big as a blackeye pea -- at home), ask your doc for some Toradol (Ketorolac)!!! It helps with the pain, but mostly helps the urethra relax / dilate and you'll be able to pass the stone easier and faster!!

I only went to the ER a couple of times and they gave me the meds and sent me home. got the doc to prescribe the toradol and crrried with me where ever I went.

I finally found the root cause and have not had an attack for over 5 years.

Joe

Ok..what was cause... how can we prevent? If you want to keep private...ok.

mzimme
02-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Don't stones usually come from too much calcium?

jamica joe
02-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Ok..what was cause... how can we prevent? If you want to keep private...ok.
Most stones are calcium. Mine were made from too much uric acid (the same thing that causes gout). I now take Allopurinol, it reduces the amount of uric acid that your body produces.

milkmania
02-10-2013, 07:40 PM
well, at 3:30am I got rid of that damned thing!
Saturday at 1:00am until 7:00am, I wanted to die.
The whole rest of the week was pretty uneventful.... just glad it didn't take months:)

man, with the kind of pain that thing caused.... I was expecting some kind of big bang at the end.... didn't happen:(

mikeg205
02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
well, at 3:30am I got rid of that damned thing!
Saturday at 1:00am until 7:00am, I wanted to die.
The whole rest of the week was pretty uneventful.... just glad it didn't take months:)

man, with the kind of pain that thing caused.... I was expecting some kind of big bang at the end.... didn't happen:(

Woo hoo - good for you milk ...this thread...does not need pictures ;)

milkmania
02-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Woo hoo - good for you milk ...this thread...does not need pictures ;)

heard ya the first timehttp://68.178.167.89/smf/Smileys/default/x.gif

weak stomach???? http://68.178.167.89/smf/Smileys/default/facepalm.gif

mikeg205
02-12-2013, 10:25 AM
heard ya the first timehttp://68.178.167.89/smf/Smileys/default/x.gif

weak stomach???? http://68.178.167.89/smf/Smileys/default/facepalm.gif

Oh yeah I did post that... - not a weak stomach...just the thought of a rock traveling thru that tube - ouch!!!!