PDA

View Full Version : tax software

02ProstarSammyD
02-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Been using turbotax for a few years. What are you guys using. Simple mortgage, school, childcare, etc here

mikeg205
02-01-2013, 01:30 PM
turbo tax web

02ProstarSammyD
02-01-2013, 01:33 PM
should have added I use the web too

GoneBoatN
02-01-2013, 02:35 PM
I use Turbo tax, cd/downloaded version in the past years. I'm not so sure I like the online version and then they have a copy of my financial information on their systems. Yes, I know a lot of others have it, but one more is not better. Since I have investments, depreciation schedules, etc I figure it saves me many hours of hand calculations so it is well worth the investment.

dfmaus
02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
two CPAs in immediate family :)

Dylan
02-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Great thread. I have a friend that is a tax preparer but really don't want him meddling in my finances. We usually do the turbotax thing, but I always feel like I'm leaving money on the table with it.

We are thinking about paying a preparer this year.

FrankSchwab
02-01-2013, 03:14 PM
TaxAct is a cheap alternative.

I've never been a fan of online (or even e-filing). It just seems a bit too invasive to type all of my tax information into a form that's going to be stored, analyzed and sold to the highest bidder. I'll spend the $20 to get a software package that runs on my PC and doesn't communicate back to the mothership, and I'll normally print out and mail.

ski_king
02-01-2013, 03:47 PM
I use TurboTax CD, not online. I am also paranoid about leaving my info on their site, even though it is most likley safe.

I have used TaxCut which I believe is now known as H&R Block, but the year I had 2 kids in college, it didn't seem to look right or ask the right questions. I bougth Turbo Tax that year and it was much easier to use.

medicmoose
02-01-2013, 04:10 PM
I've used the H&R Block on-line program as well as Turbo Tax...either way, I always pay waaayy too much in taxes!!

I think I preferred the H&R Block program but I think these two are essentially the same.

mikeg205
02-01-2013, 04:51 PM
I've used the H&R Block on-line program as well as Turbo Tax...either way, I always pay waaayy too much in taxes!!

I think I preferred the H&R Block program but I think these two are essentially the same.

Hey medi isn't your tax like

Line 1. what did you make?
Line 2. send 90% in?

nickespi
02-01-2013, 04:58 PM
TaxAct here. Been using it for about 4 years now. Only costs me $10 to file, but I don't have a state return to file, only federal. My return is pretty easy to file being military.

Tristarboarder
02-01-2013, 05:08 PM
Diddo on Tax Act, $10, cheap, online and easy to use. Used it for 5 or 6 years now, no problems.

02ProstarSammyD
02-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Decided to blow an hour and run my numbers through taxcut also.

Came up 150 bucks less........

Went with taxcut

65 bucks with state. Not horrible

02ProstarSammyD
02-01-2013, 06:21 PM
btw got this gem

Your federal return is lined up for processing
The IRS is not ready to accept tax returns that have certain deductions or credits in them - like yours. Your return will be automatically sent to the IRS as soon as they're ready to process it. This is a nationwide delay for all returns like yours - no matter who prepares them.

so the powers that be have no problem taking too much money out but can't see to get their chit together to pay it back out. INTEREST BEST BE COMIN!

Tristarboarder
02-01-2013, 07:17 PM
What a lot of people do not understand is that the Government is receiving what is essentially a "tax-free" loan by taking out certain percentages out of everyone's paycheck. Of course they always usually (for those of us in a normal tax bracket) over borrow, hence the return of overpayment at the end of the year. What a racket...the gov gets to "borrow" from its tax payers, not pay any interest, and then they pull stuff like that, stating they are not ready to accept returns for certain "unique" situations.....lame

jmorone
02-01-2013, 09:28 PM
TurboTax CD downloaded to desktop PC. Been using this for the last 5 years with no issues.

GoneBoatN
02-01-2013, 10:29 PM
What a lot of people do not understand is that the Government is receiving what is essentially a "tax-free" loan by taking out certain percentages out of everyone's paycheck. Of course they always usually (for those of us in a normal tax bracket) over borrow, hence the return of overpayment at the end of the year. What a racket...the gov gets to "borrow" from its tax payers, not pay any interest, and then they pull stuff like that, stating they are not ready to accept returns for certain "unique" situations.....lame

You are actually in control of that by the number of allowances you claim on your W-4 (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf). But be warned that you will face a penalty if you underpay: http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc306.html

-V-
02-02-2013, 12:37 PM
I have been using Tax Slayer for the last couple years, I have been happy with it. I know that they offer free service on post but I really hate waiting in lines. Tax Slayer is also free online for Active Duty Military.

medicmoose
02-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Hey medi isn't your tax like

Line 1. what did you make?
Line 2. send 90% in?

Don't forget:

Line 3. Bend over and take it like the polite Canadian you are!

76S&S
02-04-2013, 10:50 AM
I've used turbotax for several years but our taxes have gotten so complicated that I'm bailing out of my tax prep. My wife has a small business which I keep the books for and I receive a K-1 from work. The K-1 is complicated and I spend countless hours just trying to get the info into TurboTax as the interview process doesn't take me to all of the areas of the software that the K-1 requires.

maxpower220
02-04-2013, 12:33 PM

Don't worry, there are still people like me that have the minimum taken out of their check and always "owe" the govt in April.

Like a good citizen, I wait until the last day to pay.

shepherd
02-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Don't worry, there are still people like me that have the minimum taken out of their check and always "owe" the govt in April.

Like a good citizen, I wait until the last day to pay.

Same here. I've known a few folks who like the idea of getting "too much" taken out during the year so they will get a nice tax refund. My way, I get an "interest free loan" from the government instead of giving it one.

Just like a credit card. Why pay cash or debit when I can get an interest free loan from the credit card company (and bonus miles) every time a buy something? This works great as long as you pay off the balance every month.

shepherd
02-04-2013, 01:08 PM
-------------------