PDA

View Full Version : Applebee's fires waitress over Auto Tip

milkmania
01-31-2013, 08:57 PM
the way I see it, the pastor lady stiffed the waitress 100%:mad:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/tipping-pastor-apologizes-687234

http://i.cdn.turner.com/dr/teg/tsg/release/sites/default/files/imagecache/750x970/documents/1aloisreceipt.jpg

mikeg205
01-31-2013, 09:05 PM
what a mess....

milkmania
01-31-2013, 09:10 PM
what a mess....

my mom used to say that a lot toohttp://68.178.167.89/smf/Smileys/default/facepalm.gif

JimN
01-31-2013, 09:12 PM
18% automatically? Isn't that usually done when the party is more than 5 people?

Maybe the customer was a royal PITA.

mikeg205
01-31-2013, 09:12 PM
can't fix stupid... I guess this Pastor did not know servers have to earn part of their income from tips. In the end 2 people lose their jobs - 3 bad decisions... 2 people lose their jobs.

pram
01-31-2013, 09:50 PM
Well I don't see it that way at all

I am tired of servers EXPECTING that I subsidize their wage. You want to have a guaranteed income, better yourself, find a job that pays you more.

The last time I encountered this there were 8 of us, it took a very long time to get our food, it was cold, no drinks were brought at a constant interval And yet I found an 15% tip automatically added to my bill

Too bad for her, just because you're a server doesn't mean you need to make 30-40 an hour because of tips

JimN
01-31-2013, 09:55 PM
can't fix stupid... I guess this Pastor did not know servers have to earn part of their income from tips. In the end 2 people lose their jobs - 3 bad decisions... 2 people lose their jobs.

My guess is that her response was due to the tip being added by the register/waitress. If I was in the same position and the bill wasn't for a large group, I might do the same thing- being forced to tip is BS and I'd rather make the decision on whether, and how much to tip. If the service was bad and the tip was added anyway, I wouldn't be a happy camper.The tip should reflect the quality of service, or the level of generosity of the customer.

ricford
01-31-2013, 10:01 PM
If you read the whole story, it was a large group and they asked for separate bills to avoid the automatic tip, and then the pastor paid for all of them. She also claims they complimented her on her service. Bottom line, totally insensitive of the pastor to write that on the bill, but she had no business posting it with the signature readable.

mikeg205
01-31-2013, 10:03 PM
Applebee's doesn't auto add tip until there are 6 people or more...iirc. Tips aren't a subsidy in imo....it's a person risking the balance of their pay...like commission. When I get poor service I try to rectify the issue or tip poorly...if service is poor and food bad get the manager to help. Some restaurants will leave you feeling screwed over - those are the ones that go out of business.

If it wasn't for a large group - customer should have never left the restaurant and had it fixed... by the manager -

There are some server who make a crap load of cash for being a great server in high end restaurants. Article says pastor left $6.00 cash - so all the hoopla is over .29?

JimN
01-31-2013, 10:03 PM
If you read the whole story, it was a large group and they asked for separate bills to avoid the automatic tip, and then the pastor paid for all of them. She also claims they complimented her on her service. Bottom line, totally insensitive of the pastor to write that on the bill, but she had no business posting it with the signature readable.

A large group and the check came to $34.93 including an 18% tip? That seems like they only had coffee. If they complimented the waitron unit, 18% isn't even the average tip many give, so I don't know why they had a problem with it.

I call shenanigans- something else is involved here and they're not saying what it is.

medicmoose
01-31-2013, 10:16 PM
If it is automatically added to your bill....isn't that just another tax and not a "tip"???? The other term for tip is "gratuity" which is partially defined as, "something given without claim or demand"....doesn't seem to fit when it is added automatically :rolleyes:

JimN
01-31-2013, 10:20 PM
If it is automatically added to your bill....isn't that just another tax and not a "tip"???? The other term for tip is "gratuity" which is partially defined as, "something given without claim or demand"....doesn't seem to fit when it is added automatically :rolleyes:

Only governments tax, this is a charge that's plainly stated on the menu for large groups.

If someone wants a tip, they should do their job and if they want a better tip, they should do their job so well the customer wants to give more.

medicmoose
01-31-2013, 10:24 PM
Only governments tax, this is a charge that's plainly stated on the menu for large groups.

If someone wants a tip, they should do their job and if they want a better tip, they should do their job so well the customer wants to give more.

Agreed....but a group of 6 being called a "large group". That might just be a regular family who, in these days, have a tough enough time going out to eat economically. I could see if you are bringing in 15 people....that I would consider a "large group". But really, what is the difference? If you have 2 tables of 5 or a table of 10???? Why would the people who came together have a surcharge on their bill automatically.

As you can see...I just don't agree with the idea of imposing an automatic tip.

mikeg205
01-31-2013, 10:34 PM

Agreed....

Bouyhead
01-31-2013, 10:41 PM

I am tired of servers EXPECTING that I subsidize their wage. You want to have a guaranteed income, better yourself, find a job that pays you more.

The last time I encountered this there were 8 of us, it took a very long time to get our food, it was cold, no drinks were brought at a constant interval And yet I found an 15% tip automatically added to my bill

Too bad for her, just because your a server doesn't mean you need to make 30-40 an hour because of tips

30-40 an hour? That's a stretch. So if everything is spot on what do you normally tip?

JimN
01-31-2013, 10:44 PM
Agreed....but a group of 6 being called a "large group". That might just be a regular family who, in these days, have a tough enough time going out to eat economically. I could see if you are bringing in 15 people....that I would consider a "large group". But really, what is the difference? If you have 2 tables of 5 or a table of 10???? Why would the people who came together have a surcharge on their bill automatically.

As you can see...I just don't agree with the idea of imposing an automatic tip.

One server handling 6 people, all with their own separate demands and requests isn't always easy. When the requests and demands are coming fast and furious, it's worse. When the people are only interested in themselves, it sucks. At that point, the number of customers is immaterial and I have seen 3-4 people demand more attention than 10.

pbgbottle
01-31-2013, 10:46 PM
I agree, if waitresses want there tip then they should work for it. But I know from talking to my sister the reason some waitresses Freak out about a crappy tip is because if u don't give one she just had to pay to serve you. Servers have to tip out a percentage of the take to the kitchen Staff. The server doesn't get to keep the whole tip. But the kitchen staff are guaranteed there pay out no matter what so the server has to pay out the kitchen and she gets what is left over. So if u tip light or don't tip at all she gets shafted by her kitchen staff taking her tips. So she served u and got none of the tip The chef got it.

pbgbottle
01-31-2013, 10:47 PM
Not sure if that made sense hard to type on my iPhone. Doh

pram
01-31-2013, 10:51 PM
30-40 an hour? That's a stretch. So if everything is spot on what do you normally tip?

Really? This is my logic

You are a server that has a section that contains 8-10 tables

Here you get PAID 9-10 per hour from your employer

Now you work a 6 hour shift and have 8-9 tables per hour

A family of four goes out for supper

Bill total 50-60

15% (what everyone says you are supposed to tip) = 7.50, based on $50

7x7.50 = 52.50

10%
7x5=35

Add the 10 an hour they are getting paid and its pretty easy to get there

Find a server and ask them how much they make in tips

2-300 on a good night is very common plus wages

Bouyhead
01-31-2013, 10:51 PM
There re soooo many variables in the food service industry. Most are beyond the servers control.

Ron Grover
01-31-2013, 10:53 PM
If you read the whole article you will see it was a group of 20 and they ask for separate checks. Then the pastor called Applebee's and demanded that everyone got fired. Applebee's is in the wrong this time. The pastor she is an a$$. The waitress is trying to make a living.

I feel sorry for the guy that thinks waitresses are getting rich on $2.35 per hour plus tips.

pram
01-31-2013, 10:54 PM
Oh and to answer your question it depends on the service

If its bad, nothing

If its average 10%

If I have not had any needs that had not been met 15-20%

If she dresses slutty, with an open top short skirt, she will get less regardless of level of service I gwt

Bouyhead
01-31-2013, 10:55 PM
Really? This is my logic

Bill total 50-60

7x7.50 = 52.50

10%
7x5=35

Sorry Pram, but you would be pretty hard pressed to find a waiter/waitress making 9-10 dollars an hour in the U.S. Trust me, I waited on plenty of tables before I " bettered myself"

Bouyhead
01-31-2013, 10:57 PM
Oh and to answer your question it depends on the service

If its bad, nothing

If its average 10%

If she dresses slutty, with an open top short skirt, she will get less regardless of level of service I gwt

Really? That's when I open my wallet!

mikeg205
01-31-2013, 10:58 PM
extra for wardrobe malfunction?

Ron Grover
01-31-2013, 11:00 PM
Pram - Guess you know nothing about restaurants in St. Louis and absolutely nothing about Applebees. Waitress hourly pay, minimum wage for employees tip eligible, $2.35 per hour.

My daughter once was a waitress for Applebees in KC area. Quote from her it was the worst job and worst place she ever worked. People frequenting Applebees are not "known" as big tippers. She worked her a$$ off while in school for them and none of us will even enter an Applebees any more.

Bouyhead
01-31-2013, 11:01 PM
extra for wardrobe malfunction?

Hell yeah!!! If she winks or flirts with me the possibilitys are endless!

Bouyhead
01-31-2013, 11:03 PM
Pram - Guess you know nothing about restaurants in St. Louis and absolutely nothing about Applebees. Waitress hourly pay, minimum wage for employees tip eligible, $2.35 per hour.

My daughter once was a waitress for Applebees in KC area. Quote from her it was the worst job and worst place she ever worked. People frequenting Applebees are not "known" as big tippers. She worked her a$$ off while in school for them and none of us will even enter an Applebees any more.

Don't waste your time;) Europeans & Canadians are notoriously lousy tippers.

medicmoose
01-31-2013, 11:06 PM

I just don't get how those two statements can go together.... :D "Slutty" and "needs being met" seem to go hand in hand!

medicmoose
01-31-2013, 11:08 PM
Don't waste your time;) Europeans & Canadians are notoriously lousy tippers.

Thanks for the well-educated characterization! I tip very well...unless, of course, he/she comes across with an attitude like that!!

milkmania
01-31-2013, 11:12 PM

and tips are taxable income.....
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch06.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_5066069_claim-tips-income-tax.html

Bouyhead
01-31-2013, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the well-educated characterization! I tip very well...unless, of course, he/she comes across with an attitude like that!!

Sorry;) Not fair to stereotype. But my wife spent many summers up in Maine, Bar Harbor to be exact, she always complained bout' the day trippers up north. Not all but most.

JimN
01-31-2013, 11:34 PM
Really? This is my logic

Bill total 50-60

7x7.50 = 52.50

10%
7x5=35

Here, wait staff don't even make minimum wage because the fact that they receive tips exempts them from the regulations. It's also assumed that they don't report all of their tips because it comes as cash and "only suckers report all of their tips". Still, a good server can make a lot of money, on a good day/night. It averages out, but it's definitely possible. If this server was canned and auto-tip isn't something they can control, I have to think something else is going on.

pbgbottle
01-31-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm a Canadian and I tip great ,
minimum wage in BC Is $10.25.
I guess our servers make the big bucks . I like them skanky too so does my wife. It gets her hot , makes for a good time when we get gone

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-31-2013, 11:36 PM
Mr. Pink on tipping
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=enJwYaeolXc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DenJwYaeolXc

Bouyhead
01-31-2013, 11:41 PM
I'm a Canadian and I tip great ,
minimum wage in BC Is $10.25.
I guess our servers make the big bucks . I like them skanky too so does my wife. It gets her hot , makes for a good time when we get gone

Sweet!!! I just love a good last word! G,night!

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-31-2013, 11:43 PM

pram
02-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Applebee's doesn't auto add tip until there are 6 people or more...iirc. Tips aren't a subsidy in imo....it's a person risking the balance of their pay...like commission. When I get poor service I try to rectify the issue or tip poorly...if service is poor and food bad get the manager to help. Some restaurants will leave you feeling screwed over - those are the ones that go out of business.

If it wasn't for a large group - customer should have never left the restaurant and had it fixed... by the manager -

There are some server who make a crap load of cash for being a great server in high end restaurants. Article says pastor left $6.00 cash - so all the hoopla is over .29?

we went to a local restaurant last year here that only half the food came out, when the other half came it was cold. I found a manager, told her the situation politely, calmly. Our bill was fixed, we received a restaurant credit for the next time and left with a good feeling.

The waitress completely agreed with our stance, helped me find the manager, ensured that we always had something to drink and apologized a lot for what was happening.

She received a very large tip that night, it was not her fault, yet she was the one on the front line and I felt she deserved it

pram
02-01-2013, 12:16 AM
There re soooo many variables in the food service industry. Most are beyond the servers control.

this is true, BUT, they do have the ability to control how they present themselves, how attentive they are to the needs of the customers.

I find most servers now are so wrapped up in their own lives (what they are doing after work, who is texting who, what is going on facebook, twitter or instagram) that they forget they are working

pram
02-01-2013, 12:18 AM
I just don't get how those two statements can go together.... :D "Slutty" and "needs being met" seem to go hand in hand!

hahahaha

JimN
02-01-2013, 12:39 AM
this is true, BUT, they do have the ability to control how they present themselves, how attentive they are to the needs of the customers.

I find most servers now are so wrapped up in their own lives (what they are doing after work, who is texting who, what is going on facebook, twitter or instagram) that they forget they are working

I worked at a bar in '80-'81 and one of the waitresses was a bit, well, stupid. Hot, but stupid. One day, she was at work (notice I didn't actually say she was working?) and stopped to talk to someone. For a long time. While the place was busy. After about 15 minutes, the owner called her over and she walked up and asked "What's up?". He looked at her and asked "Do you F&^%in' work here, or what?".

medicmoose
02-01-2013, 08:10 AM

Unfortunately that is not just servers...I seem to have a staff full of "professionals" that do the same :rolleyes: What on earth could we have ever done before cell phones, and especially smart phones, were invented????

davidstan
02-01-2013, 08:30 AM

Too bad for her, just because you're a server doesn't mean you need to make 30-40 an hour because of tips
Simply know the deal before you go in and don't be a pilgrim. Ok you got bad food and service, just don't ever go back there and post a honest review online. They won't stay in business long. As a patron in our culture you don't have a right to stiff the wait staff if you know going in that it is expected. My daughter was a waitress in college and the lady/demographic in the article is standard and the waitresses fight to not have to serve people like her. They know it will be no tip or an under tip.

trickskier
02-01-2013, 01:57 PM

I agree 100% gratuities should be earned and not expected. I should have the right to give a gratuity based on the service received not the size of my party.

That being said I had a party of 10 at the Capital Grille in Orlando the other night and 20% was automatically added to by bill --- 89410 8p

02ProstarSammyD
02-01-2013, 02:44 PM
I've waited tables.......you aren't making $$$ unless you are in a 5 star rest. or handing out sexual favors and no one should be throwing stones about people needing to "better themselves" etc about being a waiter/waitress. There are people waiting tables that could be slimey aholes collecting unemployment. I don't judge anyone who works for a living and I praise the people who do $hittier jobs. Maybe they aren't the most intelligent people, etc but they get out of bed in the morning to pick up our trash, watch our kids, serve us food, and take care of a million other things a day most people wouldn't do.

bturner2
02-01-2013, 02:57 PM
I've been reading this thread and been biting my tongue (OK keyboard) to stay out of this. People are really clueless sometimes. Anyone want to guess why the automatic gratuity is added to large parties? Anyone? Anyone want to guess why servers don't want to be stuck with them? Anyone?

For those who didn't have their hand up I'll help out. It's because of the same cheap a$$ customers like the pastor in the article that thinks that while fleecing flock is OK (since the cash is coming her way) thinks giving a decent tip is not. She was so concerned about getting out on the cheap that she tried to cheat the system with separate cheques to screw someone out of a tip regardless of the service. She was so outraged over having to give a tip that she was also demanding everyone lose their job. BTW she is also typically the same person that expects the most and tends to be condescending or rude to the wait staff. I hate to say it but I'm not seeing many of the characteristics of a good christian here especially for a pastor.

Now while I can't argue that you should have the option to tip based on performance most everyone knows the large party tipping rules before showing up to one of these establishments. If not you are now empowered with this information so you can dine with your large party knowing up front why the tipping line item is there. If that still offends you then as a customer you have every right to vote with your dollars and not go there.

Having worked in the restaurant business while in college I can assure you your typical wait staff is not getting rich and is putting up with a ton of crap every day. For those of you thumping your chests about where, when and how you'll tip or bragging about how you stiffed the waitress out of a tip because of how they looked or dressed regardless of service rendered probably never worked in that line of business. Those who actually think that this work is easy or really thinks the waitstaff is getting rich off your 10% tip needs to consider taking on one of these jobs for a couple weeks to actually see what it's like.

milkmania
02-01-2013, 03:02 PM
I agree 100% gratuities should be earned and not expected. I should have the right to give a gratuity based on the service received not the size of my party.
That being said I had a party of 10 at the Capital Grille in Orlando the other night and 20% was automatically added to by bill --- 89410 8p

you're gonna have to throw us another bone

"Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator"

bturner2
02-01-2013, 03:20 PM
I've waited tables.......you aren't making $$$ unless you are in a 5 star rest. or handing out sexual favors and no one should be throwing stones about people needing to "better themselves" etc about being a waiter/waitress. There are people waiting tables that could be slimey aholes collecting unemployment. I don't judge anyone who works for a living and I praise the people who do $hittier jobs. Maybe they aren't the most intelligent people, etc but they get out of bed in the morning to pick up our trash, watch our kids, serve us food, and take care of a million other things a day most people wouldn't do.

I'm with you brother. I was brought up and have raised my children to respect people who work for a living regardless of the job they do and to treat people the way they would want to be treated. There is no shame in working for a living and doing a job the best you can. It amazes me at times to see how people will treat the wait staff at a bar or restaurant.

I have difficulty with this new Obama nation that puts those taking handouts on par with those struggling to make a living.

milkmania
02-01-2013, 03:27 PM
*snip*

I have difficulty with this new Obama nation that puts those taking handouts on par with those struggling to make a living.

you bring up an excellent point, i got an email a few days ago.... hang on, I'll be right back

edit:

As a Realtor for the past 28 years I thought I’d seen or heard it all… Until now.

I was showing homes in Pontiac, MI. one afternoon recently and showed up at a home at the 4:00 pm time my appointment was scheduled for. After I woke up the homeowner, she let us in and then proceeded to tell my buyers and I that she has already entered into a contract to sell the home on a short-sale. (A short-sale is a sale where the banks accepts less money than is owed on the home). After some chit-chat, she proceeded to tell us that she and her sister (who also lived in the area) were buying each other’s homes via the short-sale process. I mentioned to her that I thought relatives could not be involved in those transactions. She smiled and said "We have two different last names so no one knows the difference".

She went on to tell us that each of them owed over 100K on their homes and were in the process of buying each other’s homes for about 10-15K cash. To top it off, they were each receiving $3,000.00 in government provided relocation assistance at the closing.

My buyers and I were amazed that she was outright admitting to fraud and yet, she continued. She began to tell us that the best part of her scheme was that because they currently were not working that they (both) are now receiving Section 8 Vouchers. I said I thought those were for renters and she said “That’s the best part; me and my sister are going to be renting each other’s homes so we don’t even have to move, and Obama is going to give us each $800.00 a month to pay the rent!” She then picked up a picture she had framed of Obama and did a little happy dance around her living room and while she kissed the picture she was singing "Thank you Obama.... thank you Obama."
So here is the bottom line… Both of these scammers got at least $80,000.00 in debt forgiven, $3,000.00 in cash for relocation (when in fact they did not relocate) and to boot, you and I will now be paying (through our taxes) $1,600.00 in rent for each them each and every month.... perhaps forever!

Is it any wonder why so many people have decided that all they have to do is VOTE for the Democrats and they will be taken care of for life at the expense of the taxpayers?
I would not be at all surprised if they are receiving food stamps and whatever other programs are available for anyone who is willing to lie to get assistance.
These women went from working and paying about $900.00 each in mortgage payments to staying home and getting paid $800.00 each per month to live in the same home they had been living in and all they had to do was lie on a few papers. This craziness has to stop! I’m sure this kind of fraud is going on each and every day all across the country and no one wants to touch the subject of entitlements because they might OFFEND someone or lose a vote or two.
By the way... she had an almost new SUV in the driveway, three flat screen TV's and a very nice computer set up in her living room which was furnished entirely with nice leather furniture.
I'TS THE NEW 'AMERICAN WAY'.....
For all of the "do-gooder's" who voted for Obama to help the "less fortunate"....CHEERS..... they are now the "most fortunate!" How're things working out for you??

Rockman
02-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Here, wait staff don't even make minimum wage because the fact that they receive tips exempts them from the regulations. It's also assumed that they don't report all of their tips because it comes as cash and "only suckers report all of their tips". Still, a good server can make a lot of money, on a good day/night. It averages out, but it's definitely possible. If this server was canned and auto-tip isn't something they can control, I have to think something else is going on.

Yep, same here in IL..server wages were like $3.00 per hour...$9-$10 is not even close.

If the stupid customers who come into the resturant to actually came int to eat and not talk on their cell phones or text message their B@tt buddies all night and act like a bunch of a$$holes, then they would get respect and descent service from the wait staff...

People come into Chilis all the time near my house and they look at the menu for an hour and can't decide what they want to eat...they weigh 300 pounds and are worried about the levels of sodium in a country fried steak...seriously?...and then ask for a WINE list...people, it EfN Chilis...what are you thinking!? This is the kind of crap that happens ALL the time!

Then you get the people who bring their kids in and all they do is suck down 50 pepsis in the first 30 minutes they are there so all the waitstaff is doing is refilling drinks the entire time...

Wanna talk about crappy service!? Let's talk! Customers who have poor experiences at restaurants and complain all the time...then why the hell do you keeping coming back!?

Proper services should be given all the time and tipped accordingly...but don't be a deadbeat because you walk into a restaurant with a chip on your shoulder...the wait staff does not care about your problems...all they want to do is take your order and deliver your food and drinks...don't make it a hassle for them.

If you have a problem with something and it's not the waitstaff's fault, then don't take it out on them...DISCUSS your problem with a manager...be civil and not a richard,

Rant over...carry on.

ski_king
02-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Interesting thread.

My daughter worked at a local family type restruant when in high school. When she went to college, she didnt have the time to continue to work there, however she went out of her way to continue to work the Sunday morning/early afternoon shift to pick up the "church crowd" as this was the restruants busiest time and the best tipping time. She was paid less than $3.00 per hhour but could typically bring home close to $100 in tips for a 7 hour shift.

TX.X-30 fan
02-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Yep, same here in IL..server wages were like $3.00 per hour...$9-$10 is not even close.

If the stupid customers who come into the resturant to actually came int to eat and not talk on their cell phones or text message their B@tt buddies all night and act like a bunch of a$$holes, then they would get respect and descent service from the wait staff...

People come into Chilis all the time near my house and they look at the menu for an hour and can't decide what they want to eat...they weigh 300 pounds and are worried about the levels of sodium in a country fried steak...seriously?...and then ask for a WINE list...people, it EfN Chilis...what are you thinking!? This is the kind of crap that happens ALL the time!

Then you get the people who bring their kids in and all they do is suck down 50 pepsis in the first 30 minutes they are there so all the waitstaff is doing is refilling drinks the entire time...

Wanna talk about crappy service!? Let's talk! Customers who have poor experiences at restaurants and complain all the time...then why the hell do you keeping coming back!?

Proper services should be given all the time and tipped accordingly...but don't be a deadbeat because you walk into a restaurant with a chip on your shoulder...the wait staff does not care about your problems...all they want to do is take your order and deliver your food and drinks...don't make it a hassle for them.

If you have a problem with something and it's not the waitstaff's fault, then don't take it out on them...DISCUSS your problem with a manager...be civil and not a richard,

Rant over...carry on.

I agree and see far more crappy customers than I have ever seen in the wait staff. Its really simple though, if tips go away the owners will pay higher wages to attract staff and consequently the food prices will rise. I tip based on service 10% being the lowest and possibly not going back if it was that horrible.

Rockman
02-01-2013, 04:43 PM
I agree and see far more crappy customers than I have ever seen in the wait staff. Its really simple though, if tips go away the owners will pay higher wages to attract staff and consequently the food prices will rise. I tip based on service 10% being the lowest and possibly not going back if it was that horrible.

You are a good man Charlie Brown! :D

Rockman
02-01-2013, 04:51 PM
One last rant (I promise!) and this is more coming from a business owner perspective than a waitstaff person...

All you hill-jack parents out there who come into restaurants with your designer clothes that may have fit you 15 years ago, knock-off hand bags, fancy phones you are still trying to figure out how to work and order Cosmos (women AND men :rolleyes:) and Vodka Martinis (which by the way are most likely 3 shots of well vodka with an olive but you tell me they are oh-so good :cool:), do not let your dirty kids walk in with soccer or football cleats on and let them scratch the hell out of the floor and track mud all over the place.

Go to Wal-Mart and buy them $10 flip flops or gym shoes and make sure they change into them before you walk into the restaurant.

I see this all the time...get a clue!:shocked:

mikeg205
02-01-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the rant Rockman.... now I feel like hittin' La Dolce Vita in Plainfield and throwin' down a big tip to my favorite server... :)

Rockman
02-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the rant Rockman.... now I feel like hittin' La Dolce Vita in Plainfield and throwin' down a big tip to my favorite server... :)

Good deal!

dog paw
02-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Hill-jack parents.... hehe have to keep that one on file

Kyle
02-01-2013, 06:28 PM
Rockman and Bturner2 pretty much sum it up.

The damn customers are more of the problem that the wait staff.

I have only stiffed a waitress 1 time in my life and it was due to her sitting next to me at a table with her boyfriend. I asked several times for a refill. Finally I got up and refilled my drink and my dates drink. We ate. We left. I did pay.

These people that come in expecting great service should go to a restaurant where the plate is $50 a plate or so and then get the service you pay for. Still though if you ask most waitresses fr a 5* restaurant, I bet the amount of ****** customers would be less than the chilis or Applebee's.

This is why I only eat at nicer restaurants that the tab is $100+ for you and a date.

By the way. Slutty dressed waitstaff will generally get a better tip than the Sarah plain and tall waitress.

Our waitstaff in tx is probably $3 per hour or so and not $10.

Most of my gratuity is 20% and I gladly pay it. I have not cooked a meal in my life. If I have a gf then she makes it and I drink a beer and watch. If she's lucky, I may cut up vegetables at most. Now I will put a steak on after a grill is prepared and make it the way I like it but that is it. I eat out every meal when I have no gf. Every meal. Have been living this way for 15 yrs. I don't clean up dishes and I don't have a messy kitchen this way. I simply eat out. Pay my tab. Leave and don't worry one bit on learning to cook, having to clean, getting my a$$ up for a beer etc. I always treat waitstaff with respect and always genuinely ask how their day is. It is well worth not having the mess. You will spend on average $15-$20 per meal anyway for a good meal. It is worth an extra $5-$10 for tip not to *** with dishes or preparation.

Therefore the pastor **** needs to get off her buy my way to heaven *** and learn how the real world works.

My uncle is a Bishop and is a religious person. Yes everything is FREE for him. That drives me CRAZY but that's his business, not mine. He would never act like the way that woman did.

Heck the church paid for her meal anyway. She didnt buy it. She dumps the offering plate in her bank every Monday. She doesn't have to work so why does she care if someone gets a tip.

Rude *** customer

My rant is now over

CruisinGA
02-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Poetic justice for the pastor... She deserved every ounce of this ****storm

Good service is great, but like Kyle said, I typically only see it at higher end restaurants.

I would rather have good food (like a Willy's or Moe's but better food) and no waitstaff than tip sorry waitstaff.

Rockman
02-01-2013, 06:59 PM
No matter where you go to eat whether it be an Applebees or a Ruth Chris, as a customer, there is no need to be rude to waitstaff or even other customers. There are certain ways to handle situations and do it with at least an ounce of class...

Nordicron
02-01-2013, 07:09 PM
If my family goes out to eat with other families we always ask for separate checks. Its a pain in the rear to break apart everyone's bill. I'm not doing it to avoid the 18% at all which is another story. It seems to me the waitstaff comes to work and they want as many people to come to their restaurant as possible and order lots of expensive items! Well when a large table comes in with say 15 people how is this more difficult than having 4 tables of people? If the server has 4 diff tables do they automatically put down a 18%? No they don't but probably have more work.

Skipper
02-01-2013, 10:22 PM
That lady that claims to be a pastor is clearly employed by ACORN to gather illegal voter registrations for Obama. What a piece of work! Somebody said it best on the first page of this thread "You can't fix stupid" and there seems to be a lot of it going on around here.

JohnnyB
02-02-2013, 07:30 AM
I seldom, ever tip below 15%.....

If you are reasonably attentive and do your job well, its 20%

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

tex
02-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Are we really debating just the tip?

milkmania
02-02-2013, 01:12 PM
*snip*
Most of my gratuity is 20% and I gladly pay it. I have not cooked a meal in my life. If I have a gf then she makes it and I drink a beer and watch. If she's lucky, I may cut up vegetables at most. Now I will put a steak on after a grill is prepared and make it the way I like it but that is it. I eat out every meal when I have no gf. Every meal. Have been living this way for 15 yrs. I don't clean up dishes and I don't have a messy kitchen this way. I simply eat out. Pay my tab. Leave and don't worry one bit on learning to cook, having to clean, getting my a$$ up for a beer etc. I always treat waitstaff with respect and always genuinely ask how their day is. It is well worth not having the mess. You will spend on average $15-$20 per meal anyway for a good meal. It is worth an extra $5-$10 for tip not to fock with dishes or preparation.

:headbang:
plus you don't have to fight the fight at Walmart!!!!

JimN
02-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Are we really debating just the tip?

Asd the result of the reaction by someone who didn't like the tip being added automatically, yet the tip she gave was only different by 29˘

milkmania
02-04-2013, 12:37 AM
couple of updates

Applebee’s defends firing of waitress who posted pastor’s ‘God’ receipt (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/applebees-defends-firing-waitress-pastor-receipt-192100973.html)
I like the one of the comments from this one... She wasn't asked to give 18% of her income for the tip...just 18 % of her bill. Apples and oranges! This pastor is petty, cheap and vindictive! If you don't like what you see in the mirror, well, that speaks volumes. Pastor Bell, you don't hold up to the light well.

Applebee's waitress fired for posting pastor's receipt (http://www.ktnv.com/news/national/189367481.html)

tex
02-04-2013, 01:09 AM
Asd the result of the reaction by someone who didn't like the tip being added automatically, yet the tip she gave was only different by 29˘

I don't think he got it?

gotta_ski
02-04-2013, 05:35 AM
I work as a server and bartender currently, and I'm working my way through school, so I feel that I can comment from the inside on this one.

Pram, you won't find a server taking 8-10 table sections very often. Most chain restaurants like Applebee's and Red Lobster give their servers 4 table sections. Sure, your section may get bigger as the night goes on and people get phased, but that's because fewer people are coming in. Also, you won't be getting 8-9 new tables per hour during diner service.

The way I explain tipping to people who ask OUTSIDE of work is this: sure, I get paid minimum wage by the restaurant. Some cheap people (but these are rare for me) feel that is enough and don't feel that they owe me any tip, or they feel ok leaving me a single digit tip on a $100 tab. They say that I should feel lucky to have a job and minimum wage is plenty for me, blah blah blah. You know who else makes minimum wage? The kid behind the counter at McDonalds. Do you expect the same level of service from me as that kid, or do you expect much more? You want me to have menu knowledge and recommendations. You want to know where the fish is from and how we prepare it. You want suggestions on wine pairings and guidance on our list of 50 draft beers. You want to have your *** kissed (really, this is what alot of people want, to feel important) and many tables want some level of entertainment. You want me to remember your name and what you like. To remember that you loved a special we ran months ago and suggest tonight's special that is similar to that. If this seems unreasonable, don't go out to eat at a full service restaurant.

On the auto-grat, or auto-tip: this is there to protect the server. Many times you will get a large party and when the bill comes, lets say its $200 or $300 bucks and you had 10-14 people. While I was taking care of you, I didn't get sat in the rest of my section, or if you were a really big party, say 20 people, you may be my only table while you are there. What happens is that someone will look at that $200-$300 bill and leave you $20 bucks, or say $30 on $300. After I tip out the kitchen the mandatory 1-2%, my busser 1-2%, the bartenders 2-4% on the alcohol, and that is on the ticket total, not the tip, your 10% tip is now 5-7% going into my pocket. Do some crappy servers abuse the auto-grat and give poor service, knowing their tip is guaranteed? Of course. If that happens, let the manager know you're unhappy with the service. Any halfway decent restaurant will do whatever it takes to make you happy. Please don't abuse this to try and tip less. People pull that crap too.

Nordicron, it is more difficult to have a table of 16 then 4 tables of 4. Your table of 16 wants their drinks to come out at the same time, their food to arrive at the same time, etc. On top of that once I bring you those 16 drinks you are all going to drink them at different rates, so on top of bringing out 16 plates at once I'm going to be ringing in a bar order of 1-5 drinks several times while you're there, which is 2 extra trips I'll be making each time. Those 4 different tables of 4 will all be on different timing, so while 1 is looking at menus 1 will be starting to eat while 1 may me waiting for appetizers. Think of having 4 small toddlers at home. Wouldn't it be easier if 1 was sleeping, 2 were playing on the floor, and you were only feeding 1 at a time? Or would you rather be running back and forth between 4 high chairs. (I don't have kids so this could be wrong, but it seems to be a good analogy)

If your server sucks and it's honestly their fault, then they don't deserve to make the big bucks. I would never argue that. I average 20%, and most of my regulars leave me 20-25%, so I think its fair to say that I'm good at my job. What isn't right is the table I mentioned above, with the guest trying to leave you 10% when you ran your a** off for them. Waiting tables is about the only job I know of where you work your butt off for the guest and hope that they leave you something at the end, but you really don't know. I don't think most people deal with that kind of uncertainty. Most people know that if you perform the work you're going to get paid.

I love my job and I'm not complaining. Crappy tippers and rude guests come with the territory. I'm also looking forward to graduating with my degree soon and not waiting tables anymore too. Working nights, weekends, and holidays makes it difficult to spend time with friends and family.

One more note on tipping. If you should find yourself in a restaurant on a family holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas eve or Christmas day, please remember that those people are away from their families to take care of you. Give them a couple extra dollars to thank them for that.

Kyle: Please come eat at my restaurant anytime you're near Spokane. You're the guest servers love and hope for. I bet you're one of the fun ones that will entertain me while I'm serving you. Guests like that who treat servers well get remembered and get special treatment and comps when they come in.

gotta_ski
02-04-2013, 05:41 AM
I need to add one other thing. Asking for separate checks to avoid an auto-grat is just plain wrong, but there is nothing wrong with separate checks. Any server who won't separate out your bill, no matter how big the party, is being difficult and lazy. Its ok to make their tip reflect this. Even the really complicated ones, like all the adults at one table and the kids at the other is totally reasonable to ask for. Even if we have to go through who is paying for this appetizer and this pitcher of beer, any server should be more than accommodating of splitting things up.

Separating out a group into separate checks is very easy with any of the modern computerized restaurant systems. Sure it may take longer to do so and to cash out several separate checks, but its not that hard. Don't put up with servers who won't do that, or with restaurants that say they won't.

Sorry I wrote a novel here. I guess I needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

petermegan
02-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Gee, I am glad the tipping here in OZ isn't complicated like this!!!!!! No obligatory tipping over here but I have on some occasions tipped for excellent service. If you are not providing good service over here you are out of a job and our wages are higher to cover the lack of tips. I did come across this ages ago in Hawaii on holiday. Seems bizarre to HAVE to tip someone regardless of the quality of service. Hey just my .02c don't shoot me down now. Have fun8p

mzimme
02-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Really? This is my logic

Bill total 50-60

7x7.50 = 52.50

10%
7x5=35

Applebees servers aren't making 9-10/hr in wages. They make under minimum wage since a tip is a portion of their income. It's not uncommon for servers to make $2-3/hr plus tips.

milkmania
02-04-2013, 10:50 AM
I work as a server and bartender currently, and I'm working my way through school, so I feel that I can comment from the inside on this one.
*snipped for space*
I need to add one other thing.
*snipped for space*
Sorry I wrote a novel here. I guess I needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

good intelligent feedback there:headbang:

come on back anytime!

mzimme
02-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Gee, I am glad the tipping here in OZ isn't complicated like this!!!!!! No obligatory tipping over here but I have on some occasions tipped for excellent service. If you are not providing good service over here you are out of a job and our wages are higher to cover the lack of tips. I did come across this ages ago in Hawaii on holiday. Seems bizarre to HAVE to tip someone regardless of the quality of service. Hey just my .02c don't shoot me down now. Have fun8p

It's really not a huge deal... you just add some cash on the bottom line and go about your day. It's d-bags like this pastor that make it an issue. I rarely leave less than 20% of the total bill... including the tax. The servers get a couple extra percent off me because I tip on the tax as well. It takes a really really really crappy server for me to not tip 20% on my bill, and even then I usually leave at least 15%. If a server is having a bad night, or is just off as we all are sometimes at work, that shouldn't keep them from paying their rent or filling their car with gas (IMO). We all need a break here and there, and if they're a consistently bad server they won't be a server for too long.

Kyle
02-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Gotta Ski I would for sure go to your restaurant.

While I was reading the thread last night I finally watched the news video of the Pastor and her response.......I am willing to bet that She drives a really nice car yet looks like a Rag ah Muffin. I used to work for Cadillac. We had a customer that was the same ethnic group as this pastor. He had a Hummer and an Escalade. One day I googled his church and the location of it. It was a chit hole. NOT that it takes a nice church to get to Heaven or that the message in church is better in a church that is nicer vs the low budget church......I just noticed that the Pastor looked after himself vs the church. Nice new vehicles and a gold
Rolex and even Gator boots were always worn by him, but his church where he made his income was ragged out big time. Seems like the pastor should have taken a look at where it is better to give than to recieve...... He gave a message but took all of the money. I feel he should have reinvested in the church. I BET this Pastor in the sory has the same outlook as the pastor with the Caddy and gold watch.

While I am on my Monday morning rant, I will also include this.

If you go to a sports bar or any other establishment where you can stay after the waitstaff is cut or released for the night.....Pay your tab and open another tab. The first person serving you has to work her a$$ off for a few hours while you are playing pool or hanging out. They bring you the drinks and food, so tab out and tip them for their work and then re open another tab after the new waitstaff brings you your next item. When the tab gets transfered to the second waitress and you tip her, she gets tipped off of all of the work that the first girl gave you......Is that really fair to do to the first waitress.....**** NO..... If they tip share then that is one thing but most places the waitstaff gets their own tips.

Rant over, everyone have a great day

CruisinGA
02-04-2013, 01:20 PM
I need to add one other thing. Asking for separate checks to avoid an auto-grat is just plain wrong, but there is nothing wrong with separate checks. Any server who won't separate out your bill, no matter how big the party, is being difficult and lazy. Its ok to make their tip reflect this.

Separating out a group into separate checks is very easy with any of the modern computerized restaurant systems. Sure it may take longer to do so and to cash out several separate checks, but its not that hard. Don't put up with servers who won't do that, or with restaurants that say they won't.

You said it right on both posts.

A good friend of my fiance was a server at the top grossing restaurant in Atlanta (Twist) for a couple years and whenever we are out and the waitstaff refuses to split the check, she gets furious because she knows how easy it is and how unacceptable it is to refuse.

Never mind the server probably ends up with more tip with separate checks than with one big check.

There is a local pub with above-average food but below-average beer list that has the best service ever. I refuse to go to the other places when my friends want to because you know they won't split the check and you're going to wait 45 min to pay etc etc. This pub takes your CC with your first drink, opens your tab, returns your card and takes care of you as an individual all night, regardless of how big your group is - makes it easy to come and go and get personalized service vs. treated like a herd of cattle.

pram
02-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Rockman and Bturner2 pretty much sum it up.

The damn customers are more of the problem that the wait staff.

I have only stiffed a waitress 1 time in my life and it was due to her sitting next to me at a table with her boyfriend. I asked several times for a refill. Finally I got up and refilled my drink and my dates drink. We ate. We left. I did pay.

These people that come in expecting great service should go to a restaurant where the plate is $50 a plate or so and then get the service you pay for. Still though if you ask most waitresses fr a 5* restaurant, I bet the amount of a$$hole customers would be less than the chilis or Applebee's.

This is why I only eat at nicer restaurants that the tab is $100+ for you and a date.

By the way. Slutty dressed waitstaff will generally get a better tip than the Sarah plain and tall waitress.

Our waitstaff in tx is probably $3 per hour or so and not $10.

Most of my gratuity is 20% and I gladly pay it. I have not cooked a meal in my life. If I have a gf then she makes it and I drink a beer and watch. If she's lucky, I may cut up vegetables at most. Now I will put a steak on after a grill is prepared and make it the way I like it but that is it. I eat out every meal when I have no gf. Every meal. Have been living this way for 15 yrs. I don't clean up dishes and I don't have a messy kitchen this way. I simply eat out. Pay my tab. Leave and don't worry one bit on learning to cook, having to clean, getting my a$$ up for a beer etc. I always treat waitstaff with respect and always genuinely ask how their day is. It is well worth not having the mess. You will spend on average $15-$20 per meal anyway for a good meal. It is worth an extra $5-$10 for tip not to **** with dishes or preparation.

Therefore the pastor bish needs to get off her buy my way to heaven a$$ and learn how the real world works.

My uncle is a Bishop and is a religious person. Yes everything is FREE for him. That drives me CRAZY but that's his business, not mine. He would never act like the way that woman did.

Heck the church paid for her meal anyway. She didnt buy it. She dumps the offering plate in her bank every Monday. She doesn't have to work so why does she care if someone gets a tip.

Rude a$$ customer

My rant is now over

YOU ARE DA MAN KYLE

when I grow up I want to be just like you :rolleyes:

Sounds like spreading the wealth is your motto regardless of level of service received

pram
02-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Unfortunately that is not just servers...I seem to have a staff full of "professionals" that do the same :rolleyes: What on earth could we have ever done before cell phones, and especially smart phones, were invented????

BUTTTTTTT

The servers are the ones that are EXPECTING YOU to pay them more than what the bill is

WHY should I pay someone extra who does a bad job? Positive reinforcement for poor effort

Do you give the same bonus at work to the hardest working guy and laziest at Christmas?

Aric'sX15
02-07-2013, 03:12 PM
YOU ARE DA MAN KYLE

when I grow up I want to be just like you :rolleyes:

Sounds like spreading the wealth is your motto regardless of level of service received

Spreading the wealth is Obama's motto, I really don't think that is Kyle's purpose. I usually give 15-20 percent as well, unless I get horrible service. My girlfriend was a waitress, and her hourly pay was 2.25 i think.. So i think 15-20 percent is fair considering he stated that he eats by himself. so its not like its even that much money anyways.

Another note, we all have Mastercraft boats. you wanna ***** about something? go ask your dealer why the prices go up 6-8 percent per year, and NOT ***** about tipping >20 dollars at a restaurant..

pmkkdx
02-07-2013, 05:13 PM
my general rule of thumb is 15-20% for decent service ... more for higher quality & attentiveness ... less for below average ... I think I am more than fair based on their performance.

Snipe
02-07-2013, 05:24 PM

Tips are just that. A tip. I'm not sure that if it would wind up in court, LEGALLY you could sue for a tip. It is up to the individual how they felt about their service. If they wanted to tip nothing, that would have to be O.K. too. I doubt if I would ever do that, but legally....?

pram
02-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Spreading the wealth is Obama's motto, I really don't think that is Kyle's purpose. I usually give 15-20 percent as well, unless I get horrible service. My girlfriend was a waitress, and her hourly pay was 2.25 i think.. So i think 15-20 percent is fair considering he stated that he eats by himself. so its not like its even that much money anyways.

Another note, we all have Mastercraft boats. you wanna b!tch about something? go ask your dealer why the prices go up 6-8 percent per year, and NOT b!tch about tipping >20 dollars at a restaurant..

I never said that I didn't tip, my point is that they EXPECT IT REGARDLESS OF SERVICE RENDERED

I could give a flying rats you know what, why Mastercraft raises their prices that much every year, it doesn't affect me at all

Snipe
02-07-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm with you "pram" you said it better than I did. Thanks

Footin
02-07-2013, 06:06 PM
Good Service = Good Tip

Crappy Service = Crappy Tip

I think its pretty easy.

pram
02-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Good Service = Good Tip

Crappy Service = Crappy Tip

I think its pretty easy.

ding ding ding

folks we have a winner

pmkkdx
02-07-2013, 06:32 PM
ding ding ding

folks we have a winner

yep, kinda what I was trying to say

Snipe
02-07-2013, 06:39 PM
:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Aric'sX15
02-07-2013, 07:24 PM
I never said that I didn't tip, my point is that they EXPECT IT REGARDLESS OF SERVICE RENDERED

I could give a flying rats you know what, why Mastercraft raises their prices that much every year, it doesn't affect me at all

They expect it because it's how the get paid. Think they can live off 2.25 an hour? No.

pram
02-07-2013, 07:56 PM
They expect it because it's how the get paid. Think they can live off 2.25 an hour? No.

that is an interesting point of view

Footin
02-07-2013, 08:27 PM

Interesting....then I guess they should provide good service or look for a better job right?

medicmoose
02-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Interesting....then I guess they should provide good service or look for a better job right?

Makes sense to me. Kinda like a car salesman...if you want to make the sale and pad your cheque...better not be a d@%k!

Aric'sX15
02-07-2013, 10:55 PM
that is an interesting point of view

Is not a point of view, it's fact. How is anyone supposed to live of 2.25 an hour? Don't over evaluate this.. I'm sure you expect to get paid x amount at your work even though you've been d!cking around on team talk all day.

mikeg205
02-07-2013, 11:07 PM
.......... :popcorn: :popcorn:

saltybalty
02-10-2013, 02:28 AM
Ha Ha boat owners complaining about autograts. I expect just as good service if there is an autograt in place, but service has to be pretty bad for me to tip less than 20%. Everyone should be required to work in a restaurant just so they can realize how miserable people can be to deal with.

bturner2
02-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Actually I've said for years that everyone should have to work fast food for one year just to get a perspective on life. Back in the day when I worked at McDonald's the saying went.... A Dollar Sixty five and hour and all the pride you can swallow. May not have liked working there but at least it paid for the gas and insurance on my car without having mommy and daddy handing it to me.

I still tell stories of how nasty people can be when they think they are superior just because you're waiting on them in a restaurant. I've had people throw food at me, throw their garbage on the floor in front of me and make condescending remarks about the job I was performing as I was working to get their orders. As bad as it was at times it was a life lesson that I've taken with me and learned by. You won't see me or my childern for that matter treat a working person with disrespect regardless of the job they are performing.