PDA

View Full Version : Does this prop look like it's been repaired?

catamount
01-31-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm thinking about buying this Acme prop that is being represented as "new" but it has some strange scuff / sand marks on one side of it.

Does this look normal to you guys, or is that an odd reflection? It seems like a weird place for a repair but I'd like to see what you guys think.

http://i.imgur.com/a0GgbmI.jpg

mark g
01-31-2013, 04:15 PM
I'd say new, don't think they are repair marks probably marks from balancing the prop.

bikenskijerm
01-31-2013, 04:18 PM
We got our boat new in July and when I pulled it to wax the hull in October I noticed ours was the same way. I know there were a couple times that we hit submerged things in the lake but never thought they got into the prop. I was curious if this was maybe done by the factory to balance the prop? I am not about to ask my dealer because I worry that it could be detrimental to my warranty. The prop has this on three of the four blades on the front side. That makes me think that I hit something and didnt realize it. The blades all appear to be fine but the ridges are worn down just like this. I'll follow this feed to see what comes out of your inquiry.

Alan-S
01-31-2013, 04:26 PM
That prop has not been repaired. This is how ACME propellers look new. My understanding is that they are scuffed for balancing after being milled.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-31-2013, 04:53 PM
I'm thinking about buying this Acme prop that is being represented as "new" but it has some strange scuff / sand marks on one side of it.

Does this look normal to you guys, or is that an odd reflection? It seems like a weird place for a repair but I'd like to see what you guys think.

http://i.imgur.com/a0GgbmI.jpg

Those marks are perfectly normal they are from balancing the prop after the prop is cnc'd, when i ordered 2 ACME props this past summer both had the same type of marks.

I would take confidence that it is new.

scott023
01-31-2013, 05:51 PM
Those are a result of prop balancing. No doubt that it is a new prop.

medicmoose
01-31-2013, 10:06 PM
So just so we are clear...those marks of from balancing the prop :D:D

jk13
01-31-2013, 10:24 PM
Just for knowledge, when a prop is repaired, a certified shop will stamp their ID# on outside of the hub in between the blades--not on the ends of the hub like the ACME numbers. So if you see a pre-owned prop for sale you can use that as a tell-tale as to if it's been fixed and how many times.

My brother's brand new prop looked just like the one above like the guys already said.