PDA

View Full Version : Throttle cable broke. Hard to replace ?

ecelis
09-14-2005, 12:00 AM
Our 2002 X-Star let us down for the very first time. The throttle cable broke.
We have been going every day and I'm worried now that the MC dealer will not be able to look at this in a couple of days/weeks (have not called them yet). So would it be an option to just get the cable and replace it ourselves ?
Anything tricky ?

Leroy
09-14-2005, 12:12 AM
I've never done it, I would guess not, but I would ask your dealer. I know mine if very supportive of DIY'ers and will outline what to do.

Tell him your mechanical capability and that you would like to get the cable and get back on the water asap.

ecelis
09-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Exactly what I was affraid off...

"We are completely booked for the next two weeks, call back the week of the 27th to make an appointment..."

So that means: two weeks wait to make an appointment, one week to get it in there and one week to get it out. 4 weeks without boat for a minor problem.

I guess I was spoiled by the good service at the Texas Ski Ranch. They would always get me in-and-out in a week. And that was always with minor problems, we could still use the boat.

Leroy
09-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Too bad on not being able to get in.

Did you ask about how hard it would be to do yourself and if you could just buy a cable?

Have you looked and can you see where it is broken? Sometimes you can perform a repair yourself.

east tx skier
09-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Eddy, welcome. Where in Texas are you (assuming you're still in Texas).

ecelis
09-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Leroy. I did not get much help. "Should not be to bad" is all I could get. Plus the part is not in stock so they will have to order it.
I then called the Texas Ski Ranch (my original dealer) and got immediate help. I just sent pictures of where the cable broke and they will guide me through on the phone replacing it, once I get the cable in.

East TX. That is my problem... I moved to Florida, Orlando area 3 months ago. I lived in Bandera (just NW of San Antonio) for 13 years.

east tx skier
09-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Sorry to lose you to FL. My local dealer is short-handed and so waiting a couple of weeks during the season is par for my course as well. If you don't feel like doing the job yourself, you might ask around as to which dealers in your area are well respected. I know, ideally, the MC dealer would be the best one to use if they could get to it in short order. But since I don't have a local MC dealer, I have to use a dealer affiliated with a competing brand for all my service needs. What I'm getting at is if you hear good things about them, most other tournament boat dealers will work on our boats. In my case, I've been so satisfied with my dealer that they're the only one I'd want working on my boat and I'm willing to wait for service.

Note to mods: I don't believe I'm endorsing competing brands. My nearest MC dealer is well over 100 miles away. The nearest one with whom I'm willing to work is over 200 miles away. I mentioned this for the sole purpose of getting a fellow MC owner on the water sooner even though I'm sure his local MC dealer is of the capable sort (they're just obviously very busy). If this post is deemed contrary to the established posting guidelines, please PM me and I will take care of it post haste and without complaint. Have a nice day.

pilot02
09-14-2005, 03:40 PM
If you measure the length of the cable you should be able to get it at most any West Marine in your area and they're generally not hard to replace. May have to remove a few interior panels depending on how they ran yours though. My tristar goes down the gunnel on the driver's side around the back and then down underneath the center floor board before coming back to the engine.

Danimal
09-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Note to mods: I don't believe I'm endorsing competing brands. My nearest MC dealer is well over 100 miles away. The nearest one with whom I'm willing to work is over 200 miles away. I mentioned this for the sole purpose of getting a fellow MC owner on the water sooner even though I'm sure his local MC dealer is of the capable sort (they're just obviously very busy). If this post is deemed contrary to the established posting guidelines, please PM me and I will take care of it post haste and without complaint. Have a nice day.

hehe Didn't you forget to sign and date your disclaimer:D

east tx skier
09-14-2005, 03:52 PM
By the way, assuming there is some similarity between our applications (yours is chevy, mine is ford), when I had throttle cable issues, they were traced to the fact that it wasn't installed on a somewhat level plane. This caused it to bind at the break when I'd come off the throttle. The rpms would hang at 1,200 and I was a sad, sad panda.

ecelis
09-24-2005, 12:05 PM
An update on the throttle situation...

I sent pictures of the broken cable to my dealer and he told me that it was not the MC throttle cable that broke, but the Perfect Pass cable.

Called the local dealer and he wanted to see the pictures as well before he could tell me if they had the cable in stock or not. The parts guy at the dealer called me back half hour before closing Saturday afternoon that they had the cable in stock... Nice going, too late to go get it !

Bummed that we could not use the boat for that weekend and maybe a couple of days the week after, so we decided to try to rig it... It worked fine and we put about 5 extra hours on the boat with the 'iffy' cable. We are on a private lake so breaking down is not a major problem.

We got the new cable this week and installed it. It took about 15 minutes and another 30 or so to adjust it on the lake.

A picture of what the cable looks like and how we rigged so we could ride last weekend.
Second and third picture of the rigging, not proud of it but it worked, we drilled a hole through the side of the connector and put a clamp on the cable.

rodltg2
09-24-2005, 12:54 PM
thats a common problem, mine broke the first time out. i bought a tiny crimp and used my boat " rigged " for 2 weeks until my dealer finally got me new one. next time go directly through perfect pass. after looking at your pics, we did the same exact thing.

shepherd
09-25-2005, 01:29 AM
For future reference, if you have trouble getting in to Liquid Sports (I assume you're in Orlando), you might want to try Bull's Inboard Marine (B.I.M.P.). He's a mobile inboard mechanic who did some service work for me when I was in Orlando. He did some work for my neighbor and other boats on Lake Conway. He'll work on your boat in your boat house, driveway, whatever... Not sure if he's still around though, but worth checking into.

What lake are you on???

erkoehler
09-25-2005, 01:47 AM
How far from you is Jim at bay area watersports? He is usually more than willing to offer up any MC knowledge and work with TMC members.

ecelis
09-25-2005, 09:11 PM
We are riding on a private lake in Palm Bay (Stillwater Lakes).

Palm Bay is an hour and a half from Orlando. I have the extended warranty, so I thought I had to stay with a Mastercraft dealer to have the coverage.

Tampa is a 3+ hour drive... maybe if I get desperate :(

BradD
09-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Thats a $30 cable. I was able to replace mine and I'm not very handy. I was very fortunate my dealer had one in stock.