PDA

View Full Version : Boat show impressions

moleson10
01-28-2013, 11:39 AM
Went to the Seattle boat show this weekend. It was a good show and seemed to have a bit more vibe than the last few years. I asked some friends who were exhibiting how business was and they were cautiously optimistic.

As for the boats, it was good to see them all together. I have to say that MB is coming along and with their new towers, they are better looking and will be competitive. I was very impressed with Supra. They are an amazing value. They had a "Worlds" edition there and at 24' and quite loaded it was in the mid $80s show pricing. The Malibus were nice and the new surf gate system is wining over a lot of buyers. No offense to my CC friends (I'm a former ownwer) but the new G series boats were hard on the eyes. My wife hadn't seen them before and had some choice comments. Others we talked to at the show agreed. Although they do get points for being the only ones with a real slalom boat there.

The MC's looked good, especially the interiors, and the new Star is impressive in the flesh. But the top deck styling and towers still leave me wanting something different. My favorite boat was probably the X-10. It's a good looking boat and fits the "just right" description for a lot of people.

Overall MC has some tough competition and they will need to get creative if they want to be more than the 1%'s boat of choice.

sand2snow22
01-28-2013, 01:43 PM
The MC's looked good, especially the interiors, and the new Star is impressive in the flesh. But the top deck styling and towers still leave me wanting something different. My favorite boat was probably the X-10. It's a good looking boat and fits the "just right" description for a lot of people.

Overall MC has some tough competition and they will need to get creative if they want to be more than the 1%'s boat of choice.

Share your thoughts. MB is killing it, so much that questions have been asked if they are making money? My only gripes with MB is the floor needs to be deeper and their topdeck is paper thin :(

Love the X-10. Did you feel the Star main compartment felt small for a 24' boat? I did. MC sells more than twice as many boats than CC, BU with Axis sells a few more boats than MC. They're all expensive!

moleson10
01-28-2013, 03:45 PM
Love the X-10. Did you feel the Star main compartment felt small for a 24' boat? I did. MC sells more than twice as many boats than CC, BU with Axis sells a few more boats than MC. They're all expensive!

Yes, I agree, that's a Star thing. They put more room in the bow seating area. It's for styling IMO since it doesn't get used a lot. But the Star isn't suppose to be practical, it's a flag ship.

The MB's are really moving up and in one more generation, everybody better watch out.

russlars
01-28-2013, 04:04 PM
I enjoyed the Seattle Boat Show also. Still disappointed that MC seems to be completely ignoring those of us who love slalom. No 197 or 214's for us to drool over despite the salesman telling us that there had been a bunch of slalomites stopping by the booth. Have they completely forgotten their roots?:confused:

Forrest-X45
01-28-2013, 04:20 PM
I plan on attending the Seattle show on Wednesday. I am going to check out the BU surfgate for my own eyes. I am assuming Seattle Boat will have a huge display again this year and have the surfgate on full display.
As far as the MB's.......never liked them. The tomcat is hideous, it is the ugliest boat I have ever seen. I can't stand the looks of their twin tip bow and towers. Yuck!! But I am sure I will still walk by them at the show just out of morbid curiosity. :)

moleson10
01-28-2013, 05:26 PM
I plan on attending the Seattle show on Wednesday. I am going to check out the BU surfgate for my own eyes. I am assuming Seattle Boat will have a huge display again this year and have the surfgate on full display.
As far as the MB's.......never liked them. The tomcat is hideous, it is the ugliest boat I have ever seen. I can't stand the looks of their twin tip bow and towers. Yuck!! But I am sure I will still walk by them at the show just out of morbid curiosity. :)

Yes, every BU at the show had surf gate. They said that's how they are ordering all their boats now.

As for the MB's I can't argue, they are fugly. Tige's too for that matter but there are a lot of people out there that either don't care or don't see it the same way.

rkhodges21
01-28-2013, 05:31 PM
I have only seen the Supras and the CC G series from photos and videos, but I thought both look really good getting into the wide bow market. Maybe the G series looks worse in person.

mzimme
01-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Didn't make it to any boat shows this year, but I'd like to see a new Sangar in the flesh. They're exactly what I'd be looking for in a new boat. Everything you want, nothing that you don't. A bare bones, purpose built boat that is affordable. Hopefully they start making a presence in the midwest!

Jerseydave
01-28-2013, 05:58 PM
NY boat show had just about every model MC, which was great. The graphics on all of them were so similar it was hard to tell some of the models apart without looking at the X-whatever graphic. Personally I didn't care for the new graphics, not even the star. The boats themselves however were nothing short of spectacular, I especially love the interiors (which IMHO blow away all of the competition).

Kudos to CC on the new G23, great layout and high freeboard would make a day on the water so much fun. Not in love with the shovel-nose bow, but then again I still like my '05 star's bow better than the new star.

After spending under $50K on my F-150 Platinum, it would be hard to justify spending over $100K on any new wakeboard boat. Just my $.02 :D

kskonn
01-28-2013, 06:17 PM
I went to the San Antonio Boat show this weekend and walked away with a few observations.

1- The gelcoat on the Bu's is really nice, not sure what they use or do differently but I thought they clearly had the best gel.

2- talked to an MB guy and he said that MB's biggest issue is that they do not want to increase capacity or expand their market much. They are happy at the volume they are at now and don't have a lot of room to build more boats. I thought this was odd but I heard this a few times.

3- Loved the X10

4- I liked the interior on the new CC's but I do not like how tall that boat is, the thing is huge, I guess it does not matter on the water with the exception of running in a shallow area.

5- I did not like the interior on the Axis boats, definitely bare bones on the models they had at the show.

Tons of boats this year, everyone was represented and most had their full lineup. Texas Ski Ranch had almost every boat in the lineup and 2 stars.

My buddy at Texas Ski Ranch said they did well, sold a few new boats, a number of used boats and had a lot of people coming in this week to look at other boats. Malibu guy said he had not had much luck, same with the CC guys.

kskonn
01-28-2013, 06:19 PM
Also- their were some bad *** golf carts at the show this year, almost bought one but decided to wait.

CC2MC
01-28-2013, 06:37 PM
I checked out our boat show this weekend as well. I did see an aluminum duck boat on a tandem trailer, which I thought might have been a little much, granted it was a pretty big boat. I was pretty impressed with the G23, unlike moleson10 and his wife. I spoke with the rep who I know, and he said he will be bringing his personal G23 to my lake in April and he will be happy to take me for a spin. I am anxious to try out the wake on this boat. I loved the camera system they had on the ski rope tie off. It also had an amazing sound system, which I'm sure that many of yours do as well. I was glad to see the ski 200 on the floor as well, as the only true slalom boat present. One thing I did notice on the 200 was the engine cover foam. Does anyone recognize this as anything they have seen in other boats? I liked the way their engine hatch opened as well with a latch instead of the rubber clips, but it did not have any gas shocks to hold it up. Just an observation.

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s461/DoThadoo/2309D9AD-D8A5-493E-83EA-3E7A36F4D79C-508-000001E4BE563107_zpsd0f69030.jpg

I also spoke with Zane in the MC booth for a little bit. It is really a small world bc he knows some of the same people I know and grew up in the city where I used to live. I guess knowing everyone comes with being in the industry so long. I liked the MC showing and I think my overall favorite was the X2 or X10. I am still not sold on those big power assisted towers, but I have not owned one, so I cannot really speak as to how good they actually are.

The MB Sports boat was the first one I saw and while they have come a long way, they still have a way to go. Their gelcoat lines were not straight and also had quite a bit of porosity in the deck. The deck also did seem a little thin as previously mentioned. Overall, it was a nice boat though.

I think one of the nicer looking boats was the Chris Craft Launch 22. I can say that with having something to do with the design, years back. I did not like the fact that it was 80k and sat 8 people but to each his own. The fit and finish was is very nice on the Chris Crafts.

Several of the boat manufacturers have really had to step up their game, including Supra, Tige and Moomba. Moomba is still pretty far behind, but they are looking much better than they once looked and would probably make a decent entry level boat.

I could probably critique most every manufacturer that was present, including the pontoons, as my dad was looking. BTW, there are some pretty ridiculous toons out there as well. Some may say why 300hp on a pontoon? I say bc you can. They are approaching the prices of some wakeboard boats as well. Gone are the days of hoping to spend 30k and get a top of the line boat, unfortunately. I still managed to have a good time though.

moleson10
01-28-2013, 07:21 PM
My apologies if I offend anyone on their boat of choice. We all have opinions and it can be fun to share sometimes as long as it's not mean spirited. I don't think all mastercrafts look good and someone else might not like my choice in boats, its all good.

Now with that disclaimer, the G boats looked to me like the bow should drop when they hit the beach and marines come charging out.

sand2snow22
01-28-2013, 10:36 PM
^^That's funny. G Design is slowly growing on me. It does have downfalls and is not perfect, but I hear the wakeboard wake is amazing, same with the surf wave. I hear if you come off plane too fast, it takes water over the transom :( That would be annoying, especially when surfing b/c people fall a lot. Or any time for that matter.

kskonn
01-28-2013, 11:15 PM
My apologies if I offend anyone on their boat of choice. We all have opinions and it can be fun to share sometimes as long as it's not mean spirited. I don't think all mastercrafts look good and someone else might not like my choice in boats, its all good.

Now with that disclaimer, the G boats looked to me like the bow should drop when they hit the beach and marines come charging out.

That description of the G is the best way I have heard it put, that puts into words exactly how I feel it looks.

CC2MC
01-29-2013, 12:40 AM

No offense taken from me. To each his own. I think what CC was trying to do with the bow was similar to what MC has done with theirs. Several manufacturers have recognized that particular design makes for much more room and is practical. It is just now getting to where it is growing on me. CC wanted to achieve the same goal, but with a bit of a different look than anyone else. I think it will take a little getting used to for me, much like the forked design of MC has.

Nick911
01-29-2013, 12:46 AM
I personally love the G though they are a bit ugly on the water. I'd would have taken a hard look at one if not for me needing a bigger tow vehicle. New Star is beautiful but small inside. When I looked at the X25 side by side to the star the star had a smaller cockpit though a bigger bow. Seemed to have less freeboard too and I don't care for the step up in the walkthrough.

I find MB's very cheap looking and their graphics dated. Tiges and Bu's are ok but interiors don't match CC IMO. My other problem with Tige and Bu is that every second boat on my lake is a RZ2 or 23LSV, and I'd rather be unique, having the only X25 I saw last year the whole summer.

I'd say CC and MC league of their own though.

ProStarSlave
01-29-2013, 12:58 AM
MasterCraft Display yesterday. 2013 X Star is slick but so is the price! Tons of room in the thing and the fabric is second to none with that sharkskin look.

XStar08
01-29-2013, 04:07 PM
I really liked the new G 23. Don't know but for me it was just the right mix between solid boat and new things that really make sense. I really liked the interior and little details they - in my opinion - solved well. I'm also a bit tired of all this too much of bling in the newer MC. Up to now the CC's in my opinion where too old school and always a few years behind actual design, but now...

Guess I would go with a G23 if I didn't bought a 2008 Star a few months ago.

XStar08
01-29-2013, 04:09 PM
Shaun was there, that's probably why I was so impressed by that new boat :rolleyes:

XStar08
01-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Well, at the second look I still don't like the tower...

CC2MC
01-29-2013, 06:51 PM
I see that one does not have the camera mounted on the rope tie off point, which I thought was a cool option. Overpriced, I'm sure, but cool.

kskonn
01-29-2013, 09:45 PM
I really did not like how the bimini folds in and the points in the front stay, it looked like it was ready to harpoon a big fish when the bimini was down.

sand2snow22
01-30-2013, 12:48 AM
Or harpoon an eye...

XStar08
01-30-2013, 02:11 AM
jep, overpriced like all our toys :(

They asked EUR 130t for it.

But if you look at the others which are cheaper you can see why...

bturner2
01-30-2013, 07:30 AM
Not sure I'm sold on the new styling direction MC is taking with the newer models. The problem I see with some of the new shapes and color schemes like those on the CC in the above pictures is that they will definitely date the boat. Just like custom paint and interiors, what's hot today will go cold later. That Super Air is a classic of too much going on for no reason. In a few years it'll look like your daddy's old disco shoes.

What happened to form and function? I mean really. The old SA and xStar were always over the top but seemed purposed built. A lot of the new boats are starting to look like something that came out of a "pimp my ride" episode. I keep expecting to see a chocolate fountain or a clothes steamer pop up from under one of the hatches. Come to think of it I think one of the big three had a disco ball option last year.

When I see some of these boats I get a feel about where the perspective some of our members have in regards to the real mastercraft sentiment comes from. Form, function, quality versus Pump My Ride. Not judging, Just an observation.

One last observation on the SA. I thought we all agreed big decals were out about 3 years ago but then again CC has a tendency to be a bit behind the curve in these trends.

Tri4X2
01-30-2013, 09:32 AM
I went to the San Antonio Boat show this weekend and walked away with a few observations.

Tons of boats this year, everyone was represented and most had their full lineup. Texas Ski Ranch had almost every boat in the lineup and 2 stars.

My buddy at Texas Ski Ranch said they did well, sold a few new boats, a number of used boats and had a lot of people coming in this week to look at other boats. Malibu guy said he had not had much luck, same with the CC guys.

The SA boat show is mostly a fishing show. The Austin Boat show is always where it is at. Still impressed with MC with the exception of price. In my mind there are still 3 main companies that compete in the Wake/ski business. MC, CC, and BU. All others are just trying to niche themselves into the market, or at least make a product that is cheaper.

willyt
01-30-2013, 01:24 PM
i like the perspective that the G23 will look dated in a few years... however, pull those graphics off and you've still got a decently classy looking boat.
I'm not a fan of the new star's graphics at all. I know its the 'xstar'.. but i think they should have gone more of the direction of the 40th anniversary boats... could someone photoshop the graphics from the 40th to a new star? wow... that would look amazing. Add a black powder coated power tower... may have something that looks better than the original 40th (i said MAY...)

anyway, we had supra, BU, CC and MC at the cincinnati show.
BU - 24 MXZ is a sharp boat.. i liked the wake on the 22 MXZ but disappointed you cant put a 350 in it. i imagine the 24 MXZ you'd have to get with at least the 6.2. Surf gate? meh.. i think it makes the back of the boat look fugly and i don't surf that much anyway (heard from a good source you need additional weight even with the magical surf gate, a good source)
CC - had a G23 there. I really, really do not like the grey faux teak interior. way to drab. As far as function, the LINC is awesome, still doesn't look right off to the side like that though. super comfortable boat to sit in as a driver, super uncomfortable to sit in as passenger. Haven't ridden behind one, but from everything everyone has said, its awesome. PCM's downfall is they dont have an engine based on the LS3, they're rolling with the 6.0L L96 block for their 450, which has GOT to burn a lot more gas than an 6.2l. engineer friend also was very skeptical that 450 number was honest having the same displacement as the 400hp 6l. tower is hideous...
MC - MSRP of 133k for a boat? i know they're all expensive, and i know the ilmor 7.4 is second to none... but come on. I'm also very disappointed that they didn't make the inside of the new star larger... it felt almost the same size as my 07. X10 seems like it would be a cool boat, i'd like to ride behind one soon. Interiors are head and shoulders above the rest.
Supra - they had a SA450 there. MSRP of 97k. for a supra?!?! really?!?! still looks like a MXZ to me. It's certainly a cool boat, but its not 30k+ cooler than their previous 22 launch. see comment on G23's tower in the CC section. still missing the fit and finish i would expect from a ~100k boat. I'd also like to ride behind it... but they're putting themselves in a pricepoint that competes with the X25, 230, and MXZ... and its a distant 4th to those 3. the supra dealer in cincinnati also knows nothing about wakeboarding... nice guys though, just not riders.

ProStar200
01-31-2013, 12:58 AM
We checked out all the other manufacturers at the Toronto Boat Show and always ended up back at the MasterCraft Boat Booth. The others are getting there but Mastercraft is still way ahead in many areas. Sean from Len's Cove in Portland Ontario was very knowledgeable and helpful and Norm from MasterCraft was also there, and that man knows everything there is to know about MasterCraft. Rusty Malinoski was at the Booth for a few days signing autographs and taking pictures. Great guy and took time out for everyone.

dboat
02-03-2013, 05:40 PM
Spokane Boat Show is going on for the rest of next week, in Spokane Washington. $8
They have 5 or 6 Mastercrafts. Pretty good display and nice proshop - lots of fat sacs, clothes and boards!

rgardjr1
02-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Spokane Boat Show is going on for the rest of next week, in Spokane Washington. $8
They have 5 or 6 Mastercrafts. Pretty good display and nice proshop - lots of fat sacs, clothes and boards!

I went to the show Saturday and thought Stancraft did a great job representing Master Craft this year. They had an X-10, two X-25s, X-30, X-Star & X-55 on display. My cousin knows one of the salesmen and we spent some time with him going through the X-10 & X-30. He mentioned that the X-45 was getting a make over and would be coming back as an X-46. Looking forward to their demo days at my lake this summer. Pro shop was giving you 20% off everything so I bought some shirts for me and the family and some new trailer guide covers. I spent a little time on the G23. Big boat that will take some time for the look to grow on me-hey I remember not being a huge fan of the pickle fork X-Stars & X-2 originally, but now I love the look of mine. Lots of big price tags on wake boats.

gatorguy
02-05-2013, 03:31 PM
The OKC show a couple of weeks ago was a bit of a let down. Prior to this I have only been to the shows in SLC. OKC only had 3 MC's. 10,25,30. They were nice, but the dealer had them chained off, and didn't even come over to talk to me for over 30min. which was a shocking since everyone was at the 'toons not the ski boats. There was no "gear" for sale either. Infact only one dealer had anything for sale, and that was only a handfull of boards, and some 1/2off old ski vests. SN and BU were there too, and had much better displays with at least twice as many boats. The only DD ski boat at the whole show was a Moomba.

The whole show was a bit of a let down, and there was hardly anyone there. The gun show a couple of buildings over, on the other hand, was so packed you could hardly move, and it was full of junk. Not many dealers, just a bunch of red necks with their old rusty crap pricing it as if it was gold.