PDA

View Full Version : New slalom ski design

ncsone
01-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Anybody out there heard anything about these new 'relaxed' waterskis for open water skiing? Not saying I am going to rush out and buy one, but it seems like a decent idea for when the boat is full, you have newbies on board, etc.

Overview: http://vimeo.com/49747021

Skis:
HO Freeride:
http://www.hosports.com/waterskis-freeride.php

Radar has one with a wood core, but their site is under construction right now and I can not think of the name of it. It looks similar to a older Maharajah.

Any opinions on this?

NCSONE

rkhodges21
01-25-2013, 05:45 PM
I suck at skiing. Do you think a ski like this would be good for a novice?

ncsone
01-25-2013, 06:01 PM
I suck at skiing. Do you think a ski like this would be good for a novice?

Yeah, probably so. Lots of surface area makes them easy to get out of the water on, a stable ride and slower speeds are all good things for those new to the activity.

mikeg205
01-25-2013, 06:19 PM
I had a previous version of the Freeride - great beginner to novice ski. the new design makes a very fun ski...you won't win and competitions with it - but it's a great price and a great product. Kind of looking like the next model will be a type of cross-over wake/ski thing... I really doubt the edge design will make that much difference for the demographic of this ski buyer. It's always been a great cruisin' ski - Kinda like driving a pickup truck without power steering tho...

rkhodges21
01-25-2013, 06:46 PM
I had a previous version of the Freeride - great beginner to novice ski. the new design makes a very fun ski...you won't win and competitions with it - but it's a great price and a great product. Kind of looking like the next model will be a type of cross-over wake/ski thing... I really doubt the edge design will make that much difference for the demographic of this ski buyer. It's always been a great cruisin' ski - Kinda like driving a pickup truck without power steering tho...

It did seem like Marcus wasn't ripping the turns nearly as good as he can, but I don't really plan to do any competitions, I just want to be able to enjoy any and all types of towboat watersports i.e. ski, wakeboard, surf, kneeboard, and maybe even try the chair. I know I gotta lose some weight though or I will have trouble doing just about any of it.

ncsone
01-26-2013, 09:27 PM
I am thinking I may pick one up for those days when we have a boat full of people and I just want to do something to get in the water and get wet.

mtajpa
01-27-2013, 12:01 PM
HO add looks like the ski sizes are 65" 167" 169" 171" 65 is to short for me the others would be a bit to long I think.:rolleyes:http://www.hosports.com/waterskis-freeride.php

east tx skier
01-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Might I suggest one of these. They don't make water rough enough or a wake large enough to bother you on one of these. They have just about doubled in price since I bought mine 9 years ago though.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_CEGJzwVGLg/UQW8V18OhPI/AAAAAAAAF1I/sq4kOrCmBXg/s650/MahaGSTop%255B1%255D.jpg

3event
01-27-2013, 10:37 PM
I normally ski a HO System 8 68". I bought a HO Triumph 69" for the bigger boys to use, it's the wider more forgiving shape. It does not have a double tunnel like the Burner or the other freeride series - I have a friend with the Burner who could never get comfortable with it. If it were me, I would stay away from any of those double tunnel models - if it were such a great design idea we would have seen it elsewhere.

Whenever the water is rough and/or I just want an easier ride, I grab the Triumph - rides nice and easy and if I have the driver slow down a couple ticks it makes some nice carving turns and throws a good wall of water.

My wife needed her first slalom when I taught her and we bought another wider body ski - the Connelly Outlaw. As with the Triumph, the wider shape helps the skier get out of the water quicker and provides a nice stable ride.

ncsone
01-27-2013, 10:47 PM
That new Radar ski interests me as well with the wood core, but their website has been down for the last 3 days so I can not link to it just yet.

The HO seemed interesting with the reverse sidewall on the back 1/2 of the ski and all. The Radar ski looks super laid back. May just have to demo one to see what it is all about.

ncsone
01-27-2013, 10:48 PM
Might I suggest one of these. They don't make water rough enough or a wake large enough to bother you on one of these. They have just about doubled in price since I bought mine 9 years ago though.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_CEGJzwVGLg/UQW8V18OhPI/AAAAAAAAF1I/sq4kOrCmBXg/s650/MahaGSTop%255B1%255D.jpg

Eastie -

I want the ski to big enough and relaxed enough so that the boat passengers are more uncomfortable going across the water than me! ha!

rkhodges21
01-28-2013, 12:11 PM
I know no matter where I go with my parents on their boat, we can never seem to find glass waters. I think mainly because we don't get up early enough, but I digress. If I am going to ski, I need a big ski (since I am a big boy, 6'1", 260 lbs) and I need it to handle chop fairly well.

East TX, does that say MAHA? What is the model?

tph
01-28-2013, 12:38 PM
http://waterskimag.com/equipment/2012/10/09/radars-unique-free-ski-ride-makes-skiing-easy/

aquaman
01-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Eastie -

I want the ski to big enough and relaxed enough so that the boat passengers are more uncomfortable going across the water than me! ha!

Looks like a Maherajah 360.....fiberglass version ?

ski_king
01-28-2013, 01:06 PM
That wood be the Maha Longboard. Current price is over $2000.00.

rkhodges21
01-28-2013, 05:15 PM
That woould be the Maha Longboard. Current price is over $2000.00.

:eek: No way I can afford that. The HO is like $380 or something. I think I heard triumph thrown out there. How much is one of them?

mikeg205
01-28-2013, 05:32 PM
You can New 2010 Triumphs for about 170 no bindings. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Triumph-Water-Ski-blem-/150854353446?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231f9ec226&_uhb=1

I offered $170 and won.

allycat
01-30-2013, 02:16 AM
try to get the 012 or 013 model triumpth they have the more modern desighn.

east tx skier
01-30-2013, 11:42 AM
That wood be the Maha Longboard. Current price is over $2000.00.

This is the recreational version of the Maherajah Longboard, which I can't seem to find on his site at the moment. It's 7 feet long, has a 1.5" side cut, and cuts through chop at up to 45 mph like it's not even there. It came with 150' of ski rope, which is fantastic.

If I recall, price with front highwrap and a rtp with case was about $800 in 2004. Will keep the ski for the long term.

rkhodges21
01-30-2013, 03:32 PM
This is the recreational version of the Maherajah Longboard, which I can't seem to find on his site at the moment. It's 7 feet long, has a 1.5" side cut, and cuts through chop at up to 45 mph like it's not even there. It came with 150' of ski rope, which is fantastic.

If I recall, price with front highwrap and a rtp with case was about $800 in 2004. Will keep the ski for the long term.

Looks fun, but I think it will be a while before I can afford something like that.

east tx skier
01-30-2013, 05:33 PM
I bought that when they were less expensive and before I had kids to feed, clothe, educate, etc.

madcityskier
01-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Depending how big you are, the Connelly Big Daddy is pretty easy. You can do a fair bit on it, but if you want to run the course on one there's some mods to be done. These days there are better options for that. For general use, I can get up behind a 140hp 17' I/O with 6 people in the boat. I can ski on it reasonably about 28, but with what I've done to it it's good at 30 in the course, max 32. For free skiing, you have to give it penty of time to set up the turn, but long carving turns generating good angle can be had at 34, and they feel nice.

ncsone
02-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Resurrecting this thread now that Radar's website is back up after being 'under construction' for 3+ weeks. I was also referring to the Radar Satori ski when I originally started this thread. Anyone seen or tried this ski yet? Looks like it might be fun to goof off on every now and then.

http://www.radarskis.com/#!-/skis/-/TheSatori