PDA

View Full Version : Lesser of two evils, but what would you do?

milkmania
01-25-2013, 05:03 PM
A good while back, my 15 year old son (14 at time) and I went over to a friend's house...
I had a couple of drinks, we left before dark so I asked my son to drive home.
I can get a DUI if I blow 0.02, and he can get a ticket for no driver's license.
And I'd probably get a ticket too...
Calling a cab in this area is not an option. I guess we could have phoned a friend :(
What would you have done? I've had my kids behind wheel pretty regularly from 12/13 years old on, in non-public areas.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-25-2013, 05:13 PM
It would probably easier for the LEO to let ya'll go if the son is driving and you explaining the situation.

pmkkdx
01-25-2013, 05:13 PM
how can you get a DUI blowing a 0.02?

depending on how far, walk home ... or get your friend to take ya.

pmkkdx
01-25-2013, 05:14 PM
also agree with j.mccreight ... ticket for no license beats the heck out of a DUI

h2oskifreak
01-25-2013, 05:19 PM
Have a friend who carried a breathalizer in his trunk. He knows if he's cool or not, and it has been pretty fun to monkey around with.

rkhodges21
01-25-2013, 05:27 PM
You must have a CDL, am I right? If you live in a rural area, and your son is a good driver, then you probably have nothing to worry about letting him drive even if you pass a cop. The best thing to do though if at all possible is avoid the situation all together. If you know you have to drive, don't drink.

petermegan
01-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Wow, Things must different in the US. Whilst I do appreciate the travel dilemma when living in the country isn't there a huge legal implication of having an unlicensed, uninsured person behind the wheel. If some pedestrian staggers onto the road or a car comes from nowhere and causes an accident you could be sued for millions. I don't plan on loosing my house and farming property that quick! Like I said maybe things are different than here in OZ. .02c Have fun.

mikeg205
01-25-2013, 06:15 PM
I would avoid both like the plague - easy pickings... easy bust for the officer...especially if you catch one who had a bad day.

neil.anderson63
01-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Let the kid drive!!!! ........Unless you have a trunk monkey.

Voodoo
01-25-2013, 06:32 PM

Voodoo

SkiDog
01-25-2013, 06:37 PM
how can you get a DUI blowing a 0.02?

depending on how far, walk home ... or get your friend to take ya.

Milk drives a limo for a living.

Shooter McKevin
01-25-2013, 07:11 PM

Woah, blast from the past. Those vids are hilarious. Right up with 'The Office Linebacker'

ricford
01-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Next time, if you know you have to drive home, don't drink. You put yourself and your son in a bad situation. Learn from it and don't do it again. You're lucky he didn't have an accident. Even if it wasn't his fault your insurance wouldn't pay.

milkmania
01-25-2013, 07:44 PM
you guys gotta realize.... if I drank 4 times a year.... THAT'S A LOT!
it wasn't planned, it wasn't a party, and I wasn't smashed.... primarily because I wouldn't want my son see me drink to excess.
He's never seen me drunk.

bcd
01-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Have a friend who carried a breathalizer in his trunk. He knows if he's cool or not, and it has been pretty fun to monkey around with.

FYI, a portable breathalizer is not super accurate and isn't even allowed as evidence in court (at least in Iowa). Don't count on it to be your I'm ok to drive savior.

GoneBoatN
01-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Wow, Things must different in the US. Whilst I do appreciate the travel dilemma when living in the country isn't there a huge legal implication of having an unlicensed, uninsured person behind the wheel. If some pedestrian staggers onto the road or a car comes from nowhere and causes an accident you could be sued for millions. I don't plan on loosing my house and farming property that quick! Like I said maybe things are different than here in OZ. .02c Have fun.

No, not so different in the US. http://www.itwonthappentome.org/documents/LiabilityDoc.pdf

What is the lesson you teach your son if you drive? Remember he will be faced with that situation in the not so distant future. Whatever reason (excuse) you offer him, you may get it turned around on.

What is the lesson you teach your son if you let him drive, clearly knowing it is illegal?

Maybe you should have a look at http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110612180038AAlgnp0

Call the wife, call a friend, call your brother-in-law, call a cab (not an option in your case), sleep if off in your car, walk if you have to... Neither of the two choices you presented would be a choice for me.

Jerseydave
01-25-2013, 08:58 PM
First of all, alcohol limit for CDL drivers is .04 not .02 (.08 in most states for non-CDL drivers)

Second, asking an underage kid to drive for you shows lack of responsibility on your part. I'm sure your son will brag about it to his friends. Doesn't reflect very well on you IMHO.

You should have called somebody to pick you up.

JohnnyB
01-25-2013, 09:24 PM

Trunk monkeys rock !

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

trickskier
01-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Not much of a friend if he didn't offer to let you spend the night given the circumstances........

trickskier
01-25-2013, 10:04 PM
First of all, alcohol limit for CDL drivers is .04 not .02 (.08 in most states for non-CDL drivers)

Second, asking an underage kid to drive for you shows lack of responsibility on your part. I'm sure your son will brag about it to his friends. Doesn't reflect very well on you IMHO.

You should have called somebody to pick you up.

A point .02 with a CDL will only put you out of service for 24 Hours if you're on duty and driving. That being said most companies will terminate an employee if they receive a .02 citation.

mustangtexas
01-25-2013, 10:38 PM
In Texas, if a kid gets a ticket for driving without a license they can't get a license until they turn 18. Even if they get a speeding ticket while drive with a learners permit same result.