PDA

View Full Version : Tower on a classic

Lumbergh
01-24-2013, 08:25 PM
I continue to struggle with the idea of a tower on my 190. I like the ND, but that is not happening (far too expensive for the value of the boat).

Like the Vapor from Big Air, but don't think it will fit. The min width is 72", and the bow is fairly narrow, so it won't line up. Might have a welder cut and paste it, but no assurance it will look right in the end.

So I am now leaning toward the product from Joystick. They sent me some images of their Pro product installed on a 91-94 PS.

I think it looks as good as about anything I have seen.

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/IMG_4134_zps97c56846.jpg

Thoughts?

MASTIQUE
01-24-2013, 08:30 PM
The new monster towers looks good I think. Viper has done a few with photos that you could look at. They seem to fit the profile the best and almost look oem....

snork
01-24-2013, 08:33 PM
ND or noth'n

Lumbergh
01-24-2013, 08:51 PM
ND or noth'n

$3k tower on a $9k boat, gonna have to pass on that one. Spousal authorization unit would likely come unhinged. I will just buy another boat before I make that kind of poor investment. That would be a sweet deal for the next buyer, after I eat the cost of the ND tower.

clrussell
01-24-2013, 09:35 PM
The vapor won't fit?? Dang that's the one I had picked out for my 190.. Guess I should look again and measure some more

Tapatalk

LaRue
01-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Fly High pole?

MASTIQUE
01-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Go for the Monster Tower MTK: http://shop.monstertower.com/p-149-mtk-universal-wakeboard-tower.aspx

They are only $1299!!

mikeg205
01-24-2013, 09:40 PM
$3k tower on a $9k boat, gonna have to pass on that one. Spousal authorization unit would likely come unhinged. I will just buy another boat before I make that kind of poor investment. That would be a sweet deal for the next buyer, after I eat the cost of the ND tower.

uhh..did you just write investment and boat in the same sentence? Bring Out Another Thousand....it's not about the money - it's about the experience... no ND - MCOCD rating will have to be reduce. Will have to consult with Kyle and the Rat.... ;)

blakekrone
01-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Here's a Monster tower on a 96 ProStar 205. I wish the front arc wasn't so pronounced but it's nice. I do think the ND towers look the best on most MC's.

MASTIQUE
01-24-2013, 09:45 PM
The old monsters are no good. The MTK is the one that fits the boat profile. `

clrussell
01-24-2013, 09:53 PM
Just went and measured mine.. Vapor definitely won't fit

Tapatalk

MASTIQUE
01-24-2013, 10:01 PM
Here are a few examples

snork
01-24-2013, 10:07 PM
mount anything other than a ND and your 190 will diminish in value where a ND will at least hold value or improve the value in your 190
If you're look'n to make a wake boat out of the 190 don't waste your money, save your pennies and step up to a 205v

clrussell
01-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Lumbergh, what was the price range on that joystick? You can pm it to me if you'd rather not disclose

Tapatalk

maristardd
01-24-2013, 10:24 PM
FYI FWIW, I just saw this on local craigslist

"Wakeboard Tower - $699 (San Mateo)
Be carefull when dealing with Joystick. I bought a Pro-series tower with board racks. When I had a problem they wouldn't even return my call."

http://stockton.craigslist.org/boa/3549030215.html

clrussell
01-24-2013, 10:45 PM
Hmmm... Now to think a lot on what to do

Tapatalk

Lumbergh
01-24-2013, 11:07 PM
mount anything other than a ND and your 190 will diminish in value where a ND will at least hold value or improve the value in your 190
If you're look'n to make a wake boat out of the 190 don't waste your money, save your pennies and step up to a 205v

I disagree. It's not about making a 190 into a wakeboat.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-24-2013, 11:14 PM
You have to be a heck of a boarder to appreciate the difference between a pylon and a tower. What is the main drive for a tower? Looks, floor space...

d2jp
01-25-2013, 09:56 AM
'90 PS190 Joystick Thread:
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=29711&highlight=ps190+tower

BrooksfamX2
01-25-2013, 10:41 AM
Monster tower mounting hardware is ugly, big and blocky........

College Kid
01-25-2013, 11:58 AM
I have the Joystick on my 190. It came with the boat from the PO. I like the tower although I would would have like to have it mounted a little further forward on my boat, to line up with the windshield.

I would never try and turn my 190 into a wake boat but when you spend all day on the water with a young family the tower is invaluable!!!!! The 190 is a small boat and having that extra bit of room when towing the little ones on the tube is great. Also for training purposes for new boarders it is a huge help in my opinion.

I say go for it!!!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
01-25-2013, 11:59 AM
From the less expensive standpoint, I like the Joystick tower's clean look.

GT500 MC
01-25-2013, 12:47 PM
From the less expensive standpoint, I like the Joystick tower's clean look.

I agree. If you must have a tower on a 190, that pic in the first post looks great. Simple, flows well. And remember, if you plan on keeping it for awhile, which it sounds like so, re-sell value shouldn't be the kicker. Usefullness and functionality for YOU should be the seller. You cannot predict any type of boat value in 5 years. It's not a house.

TNH2oSkier
01-25-2013, 02:43 PM
MTK from monster is solid, mount it just behind the windshield and it wont get into the rope if your a skier. They also usually have some blems that you can get a reduced price, then have it powder coated to match your colors. Monster is a stand up company, and part of a pretty big group of marine suppliers including xtp, and Z-5 cargo to name a few. They will call you back and they stand behind their product.

d2jp
01-25-2013, 05:06 PM
If you have to deal with several boards in the boat, and the tower has a board rack - I can understand the tower adding storage capability. Boards don't fit too well under the bow of a PS.

I have a FlyHigh, we routinely carry 3-4 slalom skis, 2 boards and sometimes a tube along with 5-6 passengers in my Prostar. Can you say Beverly Hillbillies on the water? But the boat is paid for, fits in the garage when done and we have a great time.

I think the Joystick looks OK, but I would add some racks if I were installing one.

gts-20
01-25-2013, 05:45 PM
I just did a search for towers on PS190's and found this. I think its an Aerial Assault. Doesn't look bad. I have no idea about quality or price though.

rkhodges21
01-25-2013, 05:48 PM
I just did a search for towers on PS190's and found this. I think its an Aerial Assault. Doesn't look bad. I have no idea about quality or price though.

It looks good. I think I saw one on onlyinboards and it was around $1400 or so.

clrussell
01-30-2013, 04:43 PM
To those with a joystick tower how hard is Laying the tower down? Is it something that can be done once a weekend to put it back in the garage? Or a huge pain? Thanks

Tapatalk

O2BESOHUGE
01-30-2013, 05:11 PM
I Think For Your Boat, The Joystick Is The Answer!!

O2BESOHUGE
01-30-2013, 05:14 PM
I Leave A Ratchet In The Glove Box With A Hex Head Socket On It And It Takes Me 2 Minutes To Loosen The Bolts To Lay It Down. No Problem At All With The Joystick Tower

clrussell
01-30-2013, 06:16 PM
That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks

Tapatalk

d2jp
01-30-2013, 06:55 PM
I have the Joystick on my 190. It came with the boat from the PO. I like the tower although I would would have like to have it mounted a little further forward on my boat, to line up with the windshield.

I would never try and turn my 190 into a wake boat but when you spend all day on the water with a young family the tower is invaluable!!!!! The 190 is a small boat and having that extra bit of room when towing the little ones on the tube is great. Also for training purposes for new boarders it is a huge help in my opinion.

I say go for it!!!!!

Asking b/c I don't know:
Should the pulling point of the tower be aligned over the pylon for any reason? Performance, balance, etc....Or can the tower be mounted an any reasonable location?

Kyle
01-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Fly High pole?

Best Idea on this thread

The boat was not designed for a tower

A Skylon or FlyHigh will work great

You can take it up and down pretty fast. If your garage is low like the one in the pic, then the set up time should be the same to assemble the pole vs fold up a tower and tighten it up.

I have considered a tower only to add 2 more speakers. It is NOT worth $3500+ for a tower, bimini top for the addition of 2 speakers and another amp.

A pole with the board racks will allow the higher pull, boards off of the floor of the boat, and if you want speakers then look at the design that I made for my boat. It is pretty loud. I made it out of fiberglass and had it base-clear coated and it lasted a few outings before scratches started wearing on me. I took it off and had it Linex truck bed liner sprayed and called it good. The Skylon gets moved around a lot and I can deal with black texture vs gashes or scrapes.

My .02c

Kyle
01-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Here are some pics, so you dont have to dig through my profile....

ShawnE
01-30-2013, 07:53 PM
We use a 2pc. FlyHigh. Only takes a couple minutes to deploy/stow. The boards kinda act like a mini bimini. If you go this route be sure to get or make the rope guide.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Here are some pics, so you dont have to dig through my profile....

I forgot how nice that looks.

bturner2
01-31-2013, 08:14 AM
Oddly enough I find myself in agreement with Kyle on this one. The 190 is such a sleek design and is never going to be a wake boat. If you need more room or want a wake boat take the cash you'd invest in a tower along with the sale of your boat and find a 205. You'll get the room you want without cutting up what looks to be one very nice 190. The process of selling and buying would admittedly be a pain in the butt.

The pole concept seems the best compromise. Unless you're doing the ND I see the tower concept as adding negative value and limiting future sales appeal. Adding a ND would be neutral at best as far as added value is going to go. People interested in a 190 won't be looking at it for it's wake or passenger capacity features.

Kyle
01-31-2013, 02:11 PM
I forgot how nice that looks.

Thanks Peter for the complement.

The idea popped in my head so I rolled with it. It took a few weeks to build over a winter month to complete the project after work......I never have seen one and never had instructions. I just rolled off of imagination.

If anyone is interested in better pictures of the box then I can take some. The JL's scream and I even have LED lights in the speakers as well. It's gangsta style :)

thatsmrmastercraft
01-31-2013, 02:19 PM

The idea popped in my head so I rolled with it. It took a few weeks to build over a winter month to complete the project after work......I never have seen one and never had instructions. I just rolled off of imagination.

If anyone is interested in better pictures of the box then I can take some. The JL's scream and I even have LED lights in the speakers as well. It's gangsta style :)

Any chance you have any pics without the bimini? I will be getting board racks for my Fly High and wonder if it would look as clean without the bimini.

clrussell
01-31-2013, 02:42 PM
Kyle, your set up is makin me consider not putting a tower on mine... Where would a guy look for a Bimini?

Tapatalk

Kyle
01-31-2013, 04:53 PM
Peter,

I will have to take a pic without the bimini top up. As a personal preference the set up looks better with the bimini up and I only roll with the skylon if the bimini is up. No matter if it is day or night, if the skylon is up the bimini is up. It looks naked without the bimini.

But I will take a pic just for you.

Kyle
01-31-2013, 05:03 PM
Kyle, your set up is makin me consider not putting a tower on mine... Where would a guy look for a Bimini?

Tapatalk

It is more of how the bimini is made. I have a low profile bimini and you do have to bend down to get under it. Bimini tops that are too tall would look weird.

Make this note too........If you add a board rack and you have a tall bimini then the pulling point on the top of the pole will cause the rope to get caught on the boards.

If you want I can look at who made mine and look for a part number. I can also measure the bimini to see how tall it is and how wide it is.

With my lower bimini and my set up, I can drive ATB or around the boat with a sky skier very easy. Nothing gets hung up on the wake boards or on the speakers. I had to think this out very much when building my set up.

Skylon and FlyHigh have two different legnths of poles. IIRC the older FlyHigh is a few inches taller. I chose the Skylon due to the fact that I LIKE the way I can ratchet strap and get the pole tight. My speakers are not light and do add weight so when you add boards and speakers the top section likes to turn. With the FlyHigh it drove me crazy because the top section would spin and look crooked when driving WOT down the lake. I have NO issues with the Skylon because I can get it real tight and the top section will stay put.

The 2 speakers rock out and I think everyone with the skylon poles should have speakers up there. I would totally build my setup again if I had to.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-31-2013, 05:08 PM
Peter,

I will have to take a pic without the bimini top up. As a personal preference the set up looks better with the bimini up and I only roll with the skylon if the bimini is up. No matter if it is day or night, if the skylon is up the bimini is up. It looks naked without the bimini.

But I will take a pic just for you.

Most accommodating of you.http://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/ani/ani_tiphat.gif

Kyle
01-31-2013, 05:16 PM
Most accommodating of you.http://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/ani/ani_tiphat.gif

No problem

Honestly, I did not know if anyone would like my setup. I built it and rolled with it and people at the lake that I hang out with really like the Tunes more than anything. VERY few appreciate on older classic boat.

Then again, I do not have a NEW, nice, cool, popular boat that is a status symbol, but most of the guys that have the new boats are not a superstar behind them.....Just Sayin

thatsmrmastercraft
01-31-2013, 05:24 PM
My son has been wanting a sound system in the boat, but I haven't been impressed by any speaker installs on the older boats like mine as there really isn't a good place for them. Your system looks great, but want to make sure it will look OK without the bimini as I don't have any plans for on in the near future.

It seems that my boat is old enough that anywhere I go it draws attention. Of course the first question is usually :How fast does it go?" :rolleyes:

clrussell
01-31-2013, 07:12 PM
Kyle if you could just measure how tall your Bimini is.. I wouldn't mind ducking under mine, and I honestly like yours a lot! I've thought about speakers on my plylon I made, but now I'm thinking buy a skylon and board rack and make a speaker set up like yours..

Anyone have any idea how tall the skylons are to the top from the floor? I couldn't find a height on any site

Tapatalk

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
01-31-2013, 07:21 PM
My son has been wanting a sound system in the boat, but I haven't been impressed by any speaker installs on the older boats like mine as there really isn't a good place for them. Your system looks great, but want to make sure it will look OK without the bimini as I don't have any plans for on in the near future.

It seems that my boat is old enough that anywhere I go it draws attention. Of course the first question is usually :How fast does it go?" :rolleyes:

and then when you tell them "about 44 mph" then they say "Is that it?!?!":rolleyes:

MASTIQUE
01-31-2013, 07:28 PM
and then when you tell them "about 44 mph" then they say "Is that it?!?!":rolleyes:

I love getting that question!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
01-31-2013, 07:32 PM

Lately I have taken to telling them just over a hundred. They buy it every time.:D

strad
02-02-2013, 09:26 PM

Haha, I've taken to telling them the amount of torque that comes out at the business end of the shaft courtesy of the powerslot! People don't appreciate the significance of that unless they've been towed behind something that doesn't get out of the hole like this thing does. The skiers in my life all understand :D

Laurel_Lake_Skier
02-02-2013, 10:06 PM

Tapatalk

Here's another idea for the Bimini. Its from Barefoot International and attaches directly to the pylon so no holes in the deck. It is very solid even at barefoot speeds and comes off quickly by pulling out a couple of pins, the mount bracket stays on the pylon. I have the mount for mine just below the clamp for the boom and as you can see it works fine with a fly high as well.

jeff shelton
02-02-2013, 10:40 PM
Here's another idea for the Bimini. Its from Barefoot International and attaches directly to the pylon so no holes in the deck. It is very solid even at barefoot speeds and comes off quickly by pulling out a couple of pins, the mount bracket stays on the pylon. I have the mount for mine just below the clamp for the boom and as you can see it works fine with a fly high as well.

The BI Bimini is no longer available. It has been discontinued for about a yr.

PineLakeRumble
02-02-2013, 11:49 PM
LLS,

Great looking boat. I appreciate how the original lines of the boat remain undisturbed by avoiding the addition of a tower. Is there any chance that you have a picture of the pylon base? I'm trying to get an idea how the boom and pylon extension connect/mount without interfering with one another.

SWGA Boater
02-03-2013, 10:44 AM
What company makes the bracket that attaches to the ski pylon rather than slipping over it? I was thinking BI, but did not see it on their website. Anyone use the bracket. Thoughts on the bracket?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
02-03-2013, 11:42 AM
PineLake...Sorry but I don't have a photo of the Bimini mount handy and the boat is at the lake house....I'll be heading up in a couple of weeks and can get one then.

As far the the mount for the Fly High, look at a company by the name of Tachyon Motorsports. Here's a link (http://www.tachyonmotorsports.com/sdbm.html) to the web page that has the mount.

SWGA Boater
02-03-2013, 02:36 PM
PineLake...Sorry but I don't have a photo of the Bimini mount handy and the boat is at the lake house....I'll be heading up in a couple of weeks and can get one then.

As far the the mount for the Fly High, look at a company by the name of Tachyon Motorsports. Here's a link (http://www.tachyonmotorsports.com/sdbm.html) to the web page that has the mount.

Thanks that is the one I was referring to.

PineLakeRumble
02-03-2013, 05:56 PM
LLS,

Thanks for the link. Very slick set up.

SWGA Boater
02-03-2013, 09:10 PM

Your speaker box looks awesome! Would to see some pictures of the build if you have them.

scustoms
02-12-2013, 11:45 PM
Custom tower by lightning but just to give you an idea lightning also does universal towers. Custom or universal was cheaper than ND when I was dealing with them.

Double D
02-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Custom tower by lightning but just to give you an idea lightning also does universal towers. Custom or universal was cheaper than ND when I was dealing with them.

Thats Purty!!! I would not have gone black, but I like the shape and setup!

scustoms
02-13-2013, 01:05 PM
Thats Purty!!! I would not have gone black, but I like the shape and setup!

Yea. I struggled with that. They actually had a boat identical to mine year/color/model that went with the polished tower. After seeing both I liked the black. My reasoning was the black accents, vents on the bow and back as well as the windshield frame are all black. I don't have any polished aluminum on the boat..

clrussell
02-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Kyle you have mail!

Tapatalk

Kyle
02-15-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm going to make a thread on the skylon.

Give me a few days to take pics

clrussell
02-15-2013, 05:08 PM
Awesome! Thanks!

Tapatalk

Kyle
02-18-2013, 12:44 AM
Ok boys

I have failed you all on getting pics over the weekend. I habe been sick and feeling miserable. Please give me a few more days.

I'll take pics of the skylon up close

W Bimini

W/O Bimini

And some general sketche drawing on how to build it.

Please understand that the drawings are by hand and I'm no an artist when it comes to drawing.

I'll do my best to get you guys something this week.

Kyle
02-19-2013, 03:09 PM
I put a link on how I built everyting

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=910034&posted=1#post910034

laketappsguy
03-26-2013, 03:51 PM
I have a lightning tower on my Maristar and I've liked it so far also. I carry a ratchet with an allen head to make it easy to fold my tower since my boat slip is covered and I have to fold it down every time I park it. Otherwise it's been good for me, and I like the look it added to my boat. Plus, the board racks are great for keeping all the water toys off the floor. With 2 kids and the wife, plus friends we lose space fast!!

76S&S
03-26-2013, 05:20 PM
Those Lightening towers look very nice and are styled very similar to the early ND towers. Looks a lot like the tower on my '02.